Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tech Troglodyte vs. Computer (Accidentally Syncing Documents Folder to One Drive = Not Good Idea)

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
All of this started this morning when I booted up Sims 3 to find that my launcher was not reading my ccmerged folder at all. Then I realized that I had "mirrored" my documents folder IN MY ONEDRIVE! When I go to delete the folder (testing one file by deleting it) I find that it deletes the one on the main drive as well as the OneDrive mirrored copy.

My reaction at having to do all this was pretty much this:
YoutubeBanner.jpg

So I went into regedit and remapped my documents folder to that it points to the laptop and not the OneDrive and restarted the computer. Because the last thing I want to do is clog up my OneDrive with my ENTIRE documents folder. (I'm probably going to have to reinstall OneDrive for other individual files if I can ever get the darned thing to UNINSTALL.

I"ve just rebooted my computer, now on to the hard stuff.

1. First I have to see if my unsynching and rebooting the computer to see if moving the Documents file folder from OneDrive back to the laptop address succeeded.
2. Then I have to figure out whether or not my schtupid computer has actually kicked the OneDrive habit of throwing up an error everytime I click on the Documents folder.
3. If it has, then I have to move all my files that were in Documents before that I file-copied over to Desktop back to the Documents folder to see if the OneDrive error message pops back up again. Right now, I'm hating my computer and Windows 10...oh...and OneDrive (for making this process absolutely insanely difficult)
4. Then I have to track down WHY my Sims 3 launcher is not showing my ccmerged.package items (which are Sims3packs and not package files) and figure out how to get them to show back up. Oh joy...my morning couldn't be going ANY BETTER! And how's your morning been going?

As a troglodyte, I shouldn't be using a computer. I should be using a chisel and a rock (Stone Slab 1.0) .
1261.gif
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited November 2017
    OK...just letting you all know that my unsynching of the folder in OneDrive and pasting my Documents folder back from my Desktop worked. I can now see my ccmerged.package file in my launcher and everything appears to be "good to go".

That was a fun morning...NOT!

Yes...this is me:

CavemanSolveComputerProgram.jpg
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    I hate to say this, but OneDrive has got to be one of the most poorly managed attempts at doc syncing I have ever seen. There are plenty of other choices readily available that can be just as annoying without jeopardizing something as frail and delicate as a TS3 user game folder in the process.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    My English skills are pretty good but that was waaay to much for me to follow. Although I've never had any problems with OneDrive since the day I installed it which was pretty hard and took me an hour.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    My English skills are pretty good but that was waaay to much for me to follow. Although I've never had any problems with OneDrive since the day I installed it which was pretty hard and took me an hour.
    I think it's the auto-inclusion with Win 10 and the default assumption that every user would want their entire Documents folder synced to the cloud because who in their right minds wouldn't want it that rubs users the wrong way. And that TS3 gets confused by there being a Documents folder in a separate local OneDrive directory and tries to use that for the user game folder, with many players thus ending up with two of them. Then they add or remove content, mods, etc. from the game folder that isn't being used and feelings get hurt when the game seems to ignore what they have done.

Not every user knows what OD is right away, some seem to not understand even when it's explained to them multiple times, so they just agree with everything that's set as default. Again, more so it seems on Win 10 installs. I'm sure it's fine functionally, it's the heavy-handed assumptions that go counter to what a user might really want/need that are annoying.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @igazor -This forcing things onto OneDrive with Windows 10 is as bad as when AVG started to force Ransomeware "protection" onto their customers and that new disaster means you can no longer hook up any external stoage devices to copy or move your files to and any attempts to 7Zip files throws error messages telling you you don't have permission to back your files up or compress them to reduce file load or make a back up.This "feature" added to AVG ia also forcing you to use online cloud back ups only and I intend to get rid of AVG to stop that messy new feature from ruining my computer.
    Windows 10 made so many changes I hated that I stayed with Wondows 7 and would have to be very careful if I ever got a new computer with Windows 10.I think this new feature in Windows 10 is a major problem and is one of the reasons why I won't downgrade to Windows 10 on this computer.I was unable to protect my computer files for over a month while the ransomeware "protection" was installed and active on my computer which made files vulnerable.You have to be very careful about any changes being made to the computer and find out what they'll do before letting them happen.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    I think it's the auto-inclusion with Win 10 and the default assumption that every user would want their entire Documents folder synced to the cloud because who in their right minds wouldn't want it that rubs users the wrong way. And that TS3 gets confused by there being a Documents folder in a separate local OneDrive directory and tries to use that for the user game folder, with many players thus ending up with two of them. Then they add or remove content, mods, etc. from the game folder that isn't being used and feelings get hurt when the game seems to ignore what they have done.

Not every user knows what OD is right away, some seem to not understand even when it's explained to them multiple times, so they just agree with everything that's set as default. Again, more so it seems on Win 10 installs. I'm sure it's fine functionally, it's the heavy-handed assumptions that go counter to what a user might really want/need that are annoying.

Another reason to stay away from Windows 10 then. I use the business version of OneDrive so it stays away from my Documents folder. (wondering if the same happen if I turned on syncing on my personal account, which has an empty Documents folder)