Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In The Rose Garden ~ Concluded

AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
1DK8zFn.png

As the title says, this story follows the Decades Legacy Challenge found here, though I am trying to mostly follow @CuteCoffeeGal's modifications found here. She has a really neat system for aging and the passing of time based on Sims days that I've found to be much more immersive and challenging to keep up with!

In The Rose Garden mostly follows the generations of two families over the decades: The Beckhams and the Ellsworths. Do expect a lot of historical romance, fashion changes, and tragic war deaths!

Notes:
  • While I will never post or write anything super graphic, there are some images and settings that are not entirely safe for work! I post a content warning at the start of each chapter if it contains any hint of suggestive screenshots or writing, no matter how mild!
  • I'm no history major, so I know my story and legacy may not be entirely accurate. I am trying to do my research and learn as I go, though c:
  • I'm terrible at naming chapters.

You can click Chapters to see my chapter list!
Post edited by Ashubii on

Comments

• Options
    I've been inspired to play a lot lately, and since I'm holding off on continuing H.A.V.3.N until a mod gets updated, I have two more chapters. Unfortunately 1900 didn't get many chapters as I spent more time playing than taking screenshots and writing. But I plan to slow down from 1910 onward, and do not plan to start the war part of the challenge until around 1915.
  • Options
    I've posted a new chapter, though I have to apologize for my delay. Life has been a bit busy and stressful lately, so finding the time and energy to play the game and do some writing has been a large struggle.
  • Options
    thereesespiecethereesespiece Posts: 614 Member
    I absolutely adore this story!! Is it bad I was glad to be rid of Lillie’s mom? I didn’t want her continuing to torture the Beckhams! And Charles Ellsworth I thought he’d be different!! Honestly I’m hoping that Annette and Cedric don’t get together for reasons that will start a generations long family feud. Not sure where you’re going with that but just an idea ? keep up the great work!! I can’t wait for the next update!
  • Options
    I absolutely adore this story!! Is it bad I was glad to be rid of Lillie’s mom? I didn’t want her continuing to torture the Beckhams! And Charles Ellsworth I thought he’d be different!! Honestly I’m hoping that Annette and Cedric don’t get together for reasons that will start a generations long family feud. Not sure where you’re going with that but just an idea ? keep up the great work!! I can’t wait for the next update!

I'm so glad you're enjoying this, thank you! To be honest I can't claim to plan everything in the story, since I am following the Decades challenge rules! Soon it'll be War-Time and I won't have control over who lives or dies :( I'm not looking forward to that, but depending on the outcome will determine a number of possibilities for where the story goes!

Also, to be honest I thought Charles would be different, too! I actually started off planning for him to be, but then things changed and I went with it xD

As for Florence, I think she just wanted the best for Lillie, and living a life below what she had been used to was pretty difficult for her. At least Lillie and John are happy now, whether they're rich or not c:
  • Options
    Got a new chapter up!

I just realized that this challenge and story is going to be ridiculously long... lol *sweats*
  • Options
    LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    The more chapters, the better! Always happy to see a new post from you. <3
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    Another great chapter!! Please take your time with the story! There’s nothing worse than a rushed story!!
  • Options
    Another great chapter!! Please take your time with the story! There’s nothing worse than a rushed story!!

Thank you! I won't rush it c: I've just been inspired this week after letting the story sit for a while, haha
  • Options
    GrandRailGrandRail Posts: 60 Member
    This is really great! I love how your keeping it historical, it's very inspiring honestly.

I'm wanting Cedric and Annette to not work out, but... then it'd be too similar to how their parents were.
  • Options
    I've posted the first part to a new chapter~ I'll probably have Part II finished sometime today as well. I felt like there were too many images to put it all into just one post Dx
  • Options
    This is really great! I love how your keeping it historical, it's very inspiring honestly.

I'm wanting Cedric and Annette to not work out, but... then it'd be too similar to how their parents were.

Thank you! I'm trying very hard to follow the Decades Challenge rules (though I've been taking some creative liberties) while also doing my best to keep some historical accuracy. I do my research as I go, lol.

I'm not sure what will happen with Annette and Cedric yet. I might even leave it up to a vote c:
    Of course... There's always the possibility Cedric won't make it through the war-years...
  • Options
    And there's part II of the recent chapter, because I have nothing else to do today.

This chapter was actually really hard to set the scenes up, so admittedly the images could probably be better.
    And while I keep saying I don't have a plan for Annette and Cedric, that's not entirely true. I have a vague idea of events that will happen in upcoming chapters, but whether or not they do end up together in the long run is still questionable.
  • Options
    You're doing a fine job so far keeping in the period. Creative liberties are a welcome change and there are always adjustments to be had in suiting a specific play style. It is as Cedric says, rules need to be broken!

The Cedric/Annette was quite sweet in parts 1 and 2 of XVII, but I am a mean simmer at heart and want to see what the rumor mill has in store for those two conflicted little sims. Will they be able to rise above it and push it to the side like his parents? Or will it devour them whole like his grandmother and the rest of high-society of that age?
  • Options
    I love your scenes! You do such a good job with them.

And I agree about creative liberties--I won't frown on any historical inaccuracies, if I even notice! I'm glad you introduced me to this challenge.
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    I love your scenes! You do such a good job with them.

And I agree about creative liberties--I won't frown on any historical inaccuracies, if I even notice! I'm glad you introduced me to this challenge.

Aah thank you! I always feel like I could do better, or I notice too many little details and imperfections that drive me insane, lol.

And, I just imagined an entire Decades Challenge with a vampire, just cruising along through the eras...
  • Options
    I can’t wait to read about to Conley party! Where did you get the clothing?! While I don’t mind historical inconsistencies story wise I do notice if the clothing doesn’t match the decade! It’s why I’ve never done the challenge myself I could never find the right clothes and it bothered me!
  • Options
    I can’t wait to read about to Conley party! Where did you get the clothing?! While I don’t mind historical inconsistencies story wise I do notice if the clothing doesn’t match the decade! It’s why I’ve never done the challenge myself I could never find the right clothes and it bothered me!

Oh gosh, all over the place! Literally, I'm always looking for new pieces, but it can be so difficult to find. It seems like Sims 2 and 3 had more Edwardian themed CC, which is unfortunate. I'll try to scrounge up some links, but most of my CC is very unorganized right now so I might miss some pieces!

I lovelovelove this tumblr for finding CC, and I'm pretty sure I have and use everything they've shared under the Edwardian tag: http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/tagged/s4edwardian
    There are some more themed tags for different eras here as well: http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/themed

Here's a pair of heels that could be fitting: http://sims4downloads.net/the-sims-resource-madlen-minerva-shoes-by-mj95/
    Children's dress: http://qvoix.blogspot.ru/2017/01/qnie-child-long-sleeve-dress.html
    http://pickypikachu.blogspot.com/2016/06/peasant-wedding-dress.html

I use The Sims Resource quite a lot, too:
    https://www.thesimsresource.com/themes/victorian/downloads/browse/category/sims4/skipsetitems/1/

http://srsdeepthoughts.blogspot.com/2014/09/roses-titanic-dress-sims-4-cc.html
    https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims4-sets-clothing-male/title/everyday-victorian-suit-top-by-lollaleeloo/id/1315486/

I've found a lot of stuff through Pinterest, too.
    I can't guarantee all of those pieces I linked will work, because I know there've been a couple I've tried that have been a little glitchy. But I can't recall which ones, and they might've just interfered with something else I had
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Oh, I also keep an eye out for pieces that might not intentionally be Era specific, but have that classic Edwardian appearance. Like the dress Annette wears to the Conley Party, I'm pretty sure I got that from The Sims Resource. Sometimes just finding a dress that has the right shape, length, sleeves and adornment can work (especially when paired with long gloves or something!)

April on TSR makes a lot of beautiful dresses https://www.thesimsresource.com/artists/-April-/downloads/browse/category/sims4/skipsetitems/1

This was actually the dress Annette used: https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims4-clothing-female-teenadultelder-formal/title/aleysha--gown/id/1366073/
  • Options
    I'm pretty much always looking up actual photos from the year I'm working with as well to get ideas! And, since I'm creeping steadily up to the 1920's, I've been collecting some appropriate clothing from http://happylifesims.tumblr.com/tagged/downloads

I'm sorry for the multiple posts! I keep thinking of new things to share about the CC after I send one comment lol
  • Options
    Chapter XVIII. A Proposal has been posted.
    This was a rather small chapter in-comparison to the past few, as next chapter we'll finally be entering 1914 and the War years. Who will survive? :'(
  • Options
    I'm really, really loving this. Seriously. That first section of this latest chapter was unexpected but quite welcome. I ship them wholeheartedly. Truth be told, I was expecting an older pairing for the two running about in secret.

@flutegirl_132 I'm amazed at how you can recall where you got a chunk of your CC from. I'm the type to download, forget bookmarking the sites involved, and then wonder where everything came from due to weirdly named files! Or, bookmark the sites, lose interest, delete organized collected bookmarks, come back and look for them months later and then get mad at myself over the whole ordeal.
  • Options
    I'm really, really loving this. Seriously. That first section of this latest chapter was unexpected but quite welcome. I ship them wholeheartedly. Truth be told, I was expecting an older pairing for the two running about in secret.

@flutegirl_132 I'm amazed at how you can recall where you got a chunk of your CC from. I'm the type to download, forget bookmarking the sites involved, and then wonder where everything came from due to weirdly named files! Or, bookmark the sites, lose interest, delete organized collected bookmarks, come back and look for them months later and then get mad at myself over the whole ordeal.

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it! Victor and Roderick are at least young adults now, so they're a few years older than Cedric and Annette at least. If Victor and Roderick were the two you were shipping xD

And, honestly the only reason I can recall that CC is because I keep finding it again and again while looking for new things. That, and I keep going back to http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com often for all of my poses. In my folders, my CC is soooo unorganized, it's awful. If anything glitches in my game (and it does, more often than I'd like to admit) it's impossible to figure out what CC is the culprit. I'm trying to slowly organize what I have, though!
  • Options
    I really loved Victor and Roderick together too! Though why do I get the feeling one (or more) of them will die? :( I guess you already know who lives and who dies though, and I won't ask for spoilers...

My cc folder is a disaster too. Though I try to keep track of poses, at least...!
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    I really loved Victor and Roderick together too! Though why do I get the feeling one (or more) of them will die? :( I guess you already know who lives and who dies though, and I won't ask for spoilers...

My cc folder is a disaster too. Though I try to keep track of poses, at least...!

Tbh, i didn't actually plan for Roderick and Victor, lol. It just kind of happened? And as for who lives and dies, it has been left in the hands of an online coin flip. May the odds be ever in their favor
  • Options

Tbh, i didn't actually plan for Roderick and Victor, lol. It just kind of happened? And as for who lives and dies, it has been left in the hands of an online coin flip. May the odds be ever in their favor

Hey, unplanned story elements can be the most fun--for both the writer and the reader! <3

Hopefully the coin was a nice one. :(
    uduVcAP.png