Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cats and Dogs: Issues with breeding

Just got cats and dogs and I dont seem to get the option to "encourage to mate with". I have two dogs, male and female both unrelated and not fixed. Built all relationships to max and I dont have any script mods.

Anyone else having trouble?

Comments

• Options
    parbopostcardsparbopostcards Posts: 78 Member
    I am having the exact same problem and am wondering why?? I even checked to see if maybe there was a special dog house or something that I am missing
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hello
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try deleting the cache files and see if that helps
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
  • Options
    ArriesArries Posts: 58 Member
    I'm having this issue also. I did try to repair the game and delete the cache files just to see if it would help. No such luck.
  • Options
    ShareeSharee Posts: 242 Member
    I got the option to mate once, but since then it hasn't come up again. My kitties and my sims are best of buds.
  • Options
    I have the option to mate always, and every once in awhile it'll tell me to wait awhile to see if it worked, but I've tried it over 50 times now, with different families in different save files, to no avail.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    I have been thinking again. Make sure that there are empty spots in your sims household , that a puppy or kitten can be a part of the household. There may not be room in the household for another pet. You can only have 8 sims in a household.
  • Options
    ShareeSharee Posts: 242 Member
    there are only 4 sims in my household, including the cats.
    I tried repairing and all that jazz no luck.
    Hopefully once EA takes note of all the various problems we will get a patch or hotfix.
  • Options
    I have a household with one sim and two cats, trying to get the cats to have kittens, and another with one sim and two dogs, same thing.
  • Options
    ChrystalRubinChrystalRubin Posts: 46 Member
    Don't you have to wait until they're "in heat"? Supposed to show up little hearts around their heads and stuff. I don't know. Make sure they really are opposite gender too, I guess. Otherwise, I haven't clue. Have seen others have problems with it, so might actually be a huge bug. Haven't began trying that myself yet. Still obsessing over puppies can't play issue, lol, but we all have our crosses to bear :P

Hope they release a fix for this though, I'm gonna wanna do some breeding too one day!
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    Don't you have to wait until they're "in heat"? Supposed to show up little hearts around their heads and stuff. I don't know. Make sure they really are opposite gender too, I guess. Otherwise, I haven't clue. Have seen others have problems with it, so might actually be a huge bug. Haven't began trying that myself yet. Still obsessing over puppies can't play issue, lol, but we all have our crosses to bear :P

Hope they release a fix for this though, I'm gonna wanna do some breeding too one day!

@ChrystalRubin , I was wondering about those hearts! :* I have a calico cat in my game so far with a Pug (no chance of mating there! :o:p:D ) and the cat was sitting on the counter and it had a flaming heart thought bubble above its head! Then it jumped onto the cat jungle gym and started singing(?!?!?) and little hearts floated around its head! My first thought is "My! This cat is randy!" :D But this family has no other cats and it was late at night so my Sim humans were in bed and couldn't tell it to mate with another cat even if there had been one nearby. (For all I know a stray could have been in the yard!) :)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    ChrystalRubinChrystalRubin Posts: 46 Member
    PugLove888 wrote: »

@ChrystalRubin , I was wondering about those hearts! :* I have a calico cat in my game so far with a Pug (no chance of mating there! :o:p:D ) and the cat was sitting on the counter and it had a flaming heart thought bubble above its head! Then it jumped onto the cat jungle gym and started singing(?!?!?) and little hearts floated around its head! My first thought is "My! This cat is randy!" :D But this family has no other cats and it was late at night so my Sim humans were in bed and couldn't tell it to mate with another cat even if there had been one nearby. (For all I know a stray could have been in the yard!) :)

Yeah, that sounds like what I've read about the heat thing. I haven't seen my dog ever doing it yet though, and he's been an adult for a while. Perhaps only cats need to be in heat? But yeah, it is supposed to cause them to get little hearts and thought bubbles of other cats :P :D
    Sounds very cute!
  • Options
    It's definitely a bug. It's not even making me wait a day to see if it worked after they do the cute little hearts things most of the time. Maybe every tenth time it tells me to wait a day, and even then, the option comes back after a few hours, not a day. I've read some people are successful at getting their animals to have babies, but I've tried three families now, and I'm repeatedly getting the same issue.
  • Options
    jfoxy06jfoxy06 Posts: 31 Member
    I too am having the same issue - I have the option to encourage to breed my male and female dogs but they've tried SO often and nothing. And yes, I don't seem to have to wait a full day to have them try again, closer to 12 hours?
  • Options
    elliemaylelliemayl Posts: 2 New Member
    I know this sounds silly, but I did it earlier today. Make sure the cats/dogs (including yours) is the correct gender! I was trying to figure out for 3 hours today why the "Convince to breed' option wasn't appearing. It's only because "She" was a male all along, After I changed her to female through CAS she bred fine and had a kitten :smile:
  • Options
    Kat241989Kat241989 Posts: 395 Member
    I'm having the same issue I have a male and female and complete friendship bar with both and they keep breeding but no puppies!
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone, but it makes me sad. I wanted to do a crazy cat lady who breeds kittens, and now I have to wait for a stupid bug fix instead :(
  • Options
    4HTK-CRES-PYA7-N4HTK-CRES-PYA7-N Posts: 2 New Member
    I would absolutely make sure that your pets are two different sexes. I adopted a male dog and a female dog, but the male dog was actually a female. Had to go into full CAS edit mode to change it.
  • Options
    corbinjohnnscorbinjohnns Posts: 3 New Member
    I think it's a bug, my pets literally can't even get pregnant, which suuuucks cuz I made a new game literally for the purpose of making a Pet's Legacy and my animals can't even get pregnant. Like I'll "Encourage to mate with..." and they'll go mate, and then I can't encourage again for like one sim hour tops, and nothing ever comes of it. They just go up to each other do a little licking/hearts animation then the option becomes available an hour later. I tried waiting 24 hours anyway for 3 sim days straight and still nothing..
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    PugLove888 wrote: »

Yeah, that sounds like what I've read about the heat thing. I haven't seen my dog ever doing it yet though, and he's been an adult for a while. Perhaps only cats need to be in heat? But yeah, it is supposed to cause them to get little hearts and thought bubbles of other cats :P :D
    Sounds very cute!

@ChrystalRubin , thanks for the info! I didn't know they put "in heat" in the game! I also didn't know that puppies can't play!!! :o:o:o:'(:'(:'( Um... in real life almost the only thing puppies do is play! :D Do you know if this bug exists with kittens?
  • Options
    elliemayl wrote: »
    I know this sounds silly, but I did it earlier today. Make sure the cats/dogs (including yours) is the correct gender! I was trying to figure out for 3 hours today why the "Convince to breed' option wasn't appearing. It's only because "She" was a male all along, After I changed her to female through CAS she bred fine and had a kitten :smile:

@elliemayl , LOL :D:D:D Yes, aside from needing both sexes in order to breed your pets, the female can't be a senior, and you have to have enough room in your house for more house members (just like with human Sims), so that in total, there are only 8 or fewer living in your household. So If you have 6 Sims and 2 pets, you wont' get the option to breed until one of them moves out or dies. Same thing if you have one human and 7 pets, you can't breed them. Also, If you have 7 house members but one is already pregnant, you can't try to breed your pets or humans until the household gets smaller. ;)
    However, since this is not the case with most of you who have had this problem, it is clearly a bug! :/ And the fact that it lets some of you try to breed your pets also further indicates a bug! :'(
  • Options
    EmberW0lfEmberW0lf Posts: 10 New Member
    My dogs had 2 puppies but they can't seem to breed again, they were able to do it the first time, I don't know why not the second time. They either don't do it at all or they refuse eachother. I also had an issue with my cat, she was definitely not fixed but she got pregnant and it went on as usual and she went into labour and I was so excited but hours and then days went by and I realised she wasn't going to have the kittens. I ended up going into CAS and making them and sure enough sim weeks have passed and still no kittens. It also said that fixed cats cannot mate when I tried to get her to and I know for sure she is not fixed.
  • Options
    EmberW0lf wrote: »
    My dogs had 2 puppies but they can't seem to breed again, they were able to do it the first time, I don't know why not the second time. They either don't do it at all or they refuse eachother. I also had an issue with my cat, she was definitely not fixed but she got pregnant and it went on as usual and she went into labour and I was so excited but hours and then days went by and I realised she wasn't going to have the kittens. I ended up going into CAS and making them and sure enough sim weeks have passed and still no kittens. It also said that fixed cats cannot mate when I tried to get her to and I know for sure she is not fixed.

@EmberW0lf , yes apparently the female has to be "in heat" just like in real life! Still, that doesn't explain why your pregnant cat was in labor for weeks!!! :o:s I would definitely go to the official "bugs" thread and post there so a SimGuru can address this issue! :* There might already be a thread addressing this. ;)
    I'm trying to get my in-game Calico cat Waffle to mate since she is in heat now, but I have no other cats on my lot so I'm going to take her to either the pet park or to the island with just strays to see what happens. ;)<3 If that fails I might have to have my Sim and Waffle to meet Katrina the Cat Lady! ;)
  • Options
    I think it's a bug, my pets literally can't even get pregnant, which suuuucks cuz I made a new game literally for the purpose of making a Pet's Legacy and my animals can't even get pregnant. Like I'll "Encourage to mate with..." and they'll go mate, and then I can't encourage again for like one sim hour tops, and nothing ever comes of it. They just go up to each other do a little licking/hearts animation then the option becomes available an hour later. I tried waiting 24 hours anyway for 3 sim days straight and still nothing..

This is the same issue I'm having.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    My sim moved in with her boyfriend and they both have Bengal cats. The won't mate at all (even when my sims cat was in heat) and fight a lot. Idk what to do to even help them get along. The sims actually get along with the cats fine but the cats don't seem to like each other. So I'm stumped on how to get them to mate or just go into CAS and make them have kittens there lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    My sim moved in with her boyfriend and they both have Bengal cats. The won't mate at all (even when my sims cat was in heat) and fight a lot. Idk what to do to even help them get along. The sims actually get along with the cats fine but the cats don't seem to like each other. So I'm stumped on how to get them to mate or just go into CAS and make them have kittens there lol

@MzPigglyPooh , do your cats have the option in the Friendly menu to "Be nice to..." ? That is supposed to be how you get your animals to meet other animals and become friends. You can try that! <3
    If that doesn't work, then the only thing I can think of is what are your cats' traits?
    While that wont help with the mating bug, it should at least get them to like one another! ;)