Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone know what its like to try to do something and to be told you fail?

brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
edited November 2017 in Off Topic Chat
so I want to know does anyone ever try something as hard as they can to the best of their ability hoping they did a wonderful job only to be told they completely and totally failed. To be told they are horrible at what they do and just basically cant do it. How do you feel if you put your all into something and then get told you are horrible at what you did.

Comments

• samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think a lot of things are subjective, and just because one person (or even more than one person!) tells you you're horrible at something doesn't make it true, as there'll be just as many people who think you're awesome at it. You just need to work for yourself and do something that you enjoy and think you're awesome at. If you think you're awesome at something then there will surely be others who do as well. Those who say mean things about it don't matter.

edit: That being said, if people are offering constructive criticism rather than just saying "this is awful and give up", it could be helpful to take some of it on board to improve! :)
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    samemie wrote: »
    I think a lot of things are subjective, and just because one person (or even more than one person!) tells you you're horrible at something doesn't make it true, as there'll be just as many people who think you're awesome at it. You just need to work for yourself and do something that you enjoy and think you're awesome at. If you think you're awesome at something then there will surely be others who do as well. Those who say mean things about it don't matter.

You would think its that straight forward but it's not. It is really not. Also you never fully answered my question. You are lucky if you just can see it as other people would like it. Truth is no one likes stuff I do.
    brendhan21 wrote: »

You would think its that straight forward but it's not. It is really not. Also you never fully answered my question. You are lucky if you just can see it as other people would like it. Truth is no one likes stuff I do.

Truth is I struggle with self confidence much the same as you do, and it's not straightforward or easy at all, but most things never are. It's true that there are a few lucky people who just ooze self esteem and are able to not care about what others think, and there are some who have to really work at it and overcome those obstacles. Sadly though no one can just tell you what to do to make you feel better. People can give advice but it's something you have to take on board and work on yourself. If I could wave a magic wand and fix the world's problems (as well as my own haha) I totally would, but life just isn't like that :tongue:
  • BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
    If that was me and that happened over and over i'd feel depressed... and i have been depressed - very..
    I've done a lot of things where I felt like i wasn't good enough and even told i wasn't good enough... it sucks.

My attitude has changed though... now i'm more stubborn - and if i'm told i can't do something i will keep doing it + I will eiter cut out the person in my life who told me i was awful at what i did or i won't ask their opinion again or listen to it.

I really do get what you're talking about though - i do experience the same feelings of failure, especially if i compare myself to others - but i'm trying to keep those thoughts away.
    HV83B28.png
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    edited November 2017

I’ll be blunt, what we don’t like is when you make sob threads asking for help and telling us that we’re not helpful at all when we offer you advice. Do you see the pattern?
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member

I’ll be blunt, what we don’t like is when you make sob threads asking for help and telling us that we’re not helpful at all when we offer you advice. Do you see the pattern?

Exactly. OP has made this thread several times, and the answers apparently are never good enough so I struggle to understand the point behind making it yet again.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member

Dang, you're right. No one likes making sappy threads a million times to get pity and then just condemning people's advice.

If there's one thing you're good at, I gotta say you're great at being persistent to get attention. So, good on you. *claps*
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    Bambooram wrote: »
    If that was me and that happened over and over i'd feel depressed... and i have been depressed - very..
    I've done a lot of things where I felt like i wasn't good enough and even told i wasn't good enough... it plum.

My attitude has changed though... now i'm more stubborn - and if i'm told i can't do something i will keep doing it + I will eiter cut out the person in my life who told me i was awful at what i did or i won't ask their opinion again or listen to it.

I really do get what you're talking about though - i do experience the same feelings of failure, especially if i compare myself to others - but i'm trying to keep those thoughts away.

YAAAAS!! This is me too! I'm stubborn and I also am like "challenge accepted" person. If someone tells me I fail at something, I try even harder even when I think I already did my best before. You can only get better from that. :)
    832XG3D.gif
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    so I want to know does anyone ever try something as hard as they can to the best of their ability hoping they did a wonderful job only to be told they completely and totally failed. To be told they are horrible at what they do and just basically cant do it. How do you feel if you put your all into something and then get told you are horrible at what you did.

its part of life anyone who does any thing dancing drawing cooking has hard that at least once and maybe you are right now
    thats why you have to keep working at it so that you can be great
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I had that issue in Gr.12 Business class. I was doing something (forget what) and my teacher of it criticised me and I never had to face criticism before then.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • PrincessMeiPrincessMei Posts: 1,319 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIE5QtkxzvM
    Hurry up and wait
    So close, but so far away
    Everything that you've always dreamed of
    Close enough for you can taste
    But you just can't touch

You wanna show the world, but no one knows your name yet
    You wonder when and where and how you're gonna make it
    You know you can if you get the chance
    In your face as the door keeps slamming
    Now you're feeling more and more frustrated
    And you're getting all kind of impatient, waiting
    We live and we learn to take

One step at a time
    There's no need to rush
    It's like learning to fly
    Or falling in love
    It's gonna happen and it's
    Supposed to happen that we
    Find the reasons why
    One step at a time

You believe and you doubt
    You're confused and got it all figured out
    Everything that you've always wished for
    Could be yours, should be yours, would be yours
    If they only knew

You wanna show the world, but no one knows your name yet
    You wonder when and where and how you're gonna make it
    You know you can if you get the chance
    In your face as the door keeps slamming
    Now you're feeling more and more frustrated
    And you're getting all kind of impatient, waiting

We live and we learn to take

One step at a time
    There's no need to rush
    Or falling in love
    Find the reasons why
    One step at a time

When you can't wait any longer
    But there's no end in sight (When you need to find the strength)
    It's your faith that makes you stronger
    The only we get there is one step at a time

Take one step at a time
    There's no need to rush
    Or falling in love
    Find the reasons why
    One step at a time

One step at a time
    There's no need to rush
    Or falling in love
    Find the reasons why
    One step at a time
    sprinkler.gif
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Another thread like this? Really? It's like no matter how many people give you advice you refuse to take it and open up another emo thread. Enough is enough. Seek professional help, or ask your mom and dad to take you to the doctor. The Sims forums are not the place to ask for life coaching on the daily.
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    @brendhan21

I think I am a good bit older than you and have failed so many times that I cannot count. Several times that failure has been commented on by teachers or people who like to bring them up time after time. The only thing to do is just carry on and learn by your mistakes. I've forgotten most of them and gone on.

Some famous people's quotes that might help and don't forget even NASA made a lot of failures trying to get to Mars! ................

“What do you first do when you learn to swim? You make mistakes, do you not? And what happens? You make other mistakes, and when you have made all the mistakes you possibly can without drowning – and some of them many times over – what do you find? That you can swim? Well – life is just the same as learning to swim! Do not be afraid of making mistakes, for there is no other way of learning how to live!”
    – Alfred Adler

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
    – Michael Jordan

.“A man may fall many times, but he won’t be a failure until he says that someone pushed him.” (relevant here)?? <3
    – Elmer G. Letterman
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Another thread like this? Really? It's like no matter how many people give you advice you refuse to take it and open up another emo thread. Enough is enough. Seek professional help, or ask your mom and dad to take you to the doctor. The Sims forums are not the place to ask for life coaching on the daily.

well i am about to open up another "emo" thread.

Oh boy, can't wait.
    832XG3D.gif
    none you understand what its like! none of you know what its like to constantly see people get told you are awesome and then if you do the same thing get told omg you fail! you should be ashamed of yourself for even trying! none of you get it! none of you experience it! to know no mater what you do! everyone will think you fail. to feel like no one will like anything you do! no mater how hard you try!
    none you understand what its like! none of you know what its like to constantly see people get told you are awesome and then if you do the same thing get told omg you fail! you should be ashamed of yourself for even trying! none of you get it! none of you experience it! to know no mater what you do! everyone will think you fail. to feel like no one will like anything you do! no mater how hard you try!

People do know what it's like. I know what it's like. Others who read and have commented on this thread know what it's like. I'm not exactly sure why you seem to think you're the only person in the world who suffers, or has low confidence, or has been treated unfairly, but you're not. There are things you've been through that I won't understand, and there are things that I will. Equally there are things I've been through that you'd never understand. But regardless, there are many, many people who genuinely want to help you here but you make it really difficult when all you seem to do is throw people's advice back in their face, often rudely, and cry "no one understands me!". You can actually make a difference in your life and how you feel but it has to come from you. I, among other people here, will be here if and when you decide you want us to be but until then there's no point in making constant threads if you don't want other people's advice or opinions. I'm not entirely sure what you do want if I'm honest and I guess you need to figure that out first.

Best wishes. I genuinely hope you sort things out for yourself.
    edited November 2017

Quit whining and pretending like you know our lives. Nobody's perfect.

There's a real world out there with people who have an even worse life than you, like fighting hunger and having bad sanitation.

Open your eyes and consider yourself lucky that you have shelter, food and internet.
    832XG3D.gif
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No offense but between this thread and the one you just made complaining about YouTubers getting the new pack before you, I am beginning to get concerned for your mental health. I think what you require is beyond our scope on this website.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member

So you’re confirming that you’re doing this just to leech for more attention? It’s like you didn’t even bother to read Haids5987’s comment. Have you learned anything?

So you’re confirming that you’re doing this just to leech for more attention? It’s like you didn’t even bother to read Haids5987’s comment. Have you learned anything?

Maybe he's just a sad lonely kid who wants to be talked to. LOL.
    832XG3D.gif
  • MRSMLOGMRSMLOG Posts: 21,181 Member
    Or maybe he's just a sad troll that wants to be fed.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    @brendhan21 I should report that reply on your page to @EA_Mage or some other Guru as I think it is a pointing to two nasty sites. I didn't like to click on them myself as I tend to avoid any site ending in "ru"

Just hang on in there. We all get that feeling sometimes but if you feel that way often you might need to see your doctor.