Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many more years of TS4?

Comments

• chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    What makes any of you think that when S4 ends that they will even make a S5? Some of the forum people have been unbelievably rude. But let's say they will, how do you know it will be any better than S4? You all probably thought that S4 would be better than S3, but was it? Let's say S4 ends with the next EP. And next year S5 gets rolled out and it is worse than you ever thought a game could be, would you come to these forums and ask why they stopped good ole S4 when it was so much better than S5 and could have gone on for a lot longer or will you all just grin and bear it? What if they stop S4 and don't make an S5 because they decided, due to the hate, that they would make an S5 for consoles only? What then?

This is why I just feel that people need to be careful what they wish for. Sims 5 could end up being that online platform which Sims 4 was rumoured to be at first with plenty of in game purchases just to fill up the hygiene bar.
    2017 has been a brill year for Sims 4. We've had Toddlers, family play and now Cats and Dogs. People may argue that Sims 3 was better (being honest I don't think that,) but this year has shown that they are building on Sims 4. It's a very different game to the one we had back in 2014.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Keep in mind a new base and engine for the Sims series takes 3-5 years - and so far as I have heard they have not even started on either - nor has the call gone out under Jobs at Maxis for engine developers - so until that happens no sense even looking for the next one anyway. Granted I've really wanted Maxis to do a Sims on EA's Frostbyte 3 engine - but in my heart I don't really see that happening - even though I wish it would for many reasons. I mean games on that engine are visually amazing - but I am not sure a game like the Sims could even use that kind of tech - never mind the computer people need to run it. I still dream of it though. LOl.

Besides all else the head of EA announced last Spring they are expanding the life span of all their big games - so they have longer shelf life before they need a refresh or new series by constantly adding a steady stream of both free and paid dlc for the games. So far this is getting really popular both from players of those games and with stock holders. A lot of players were glad to see some of their fav EA games extended, instead of having to start over with a new series already.

I hear this idea is spreading and other big companies are also talking about doing this if they weren't doing it already, as well. It has definitely paid off for a lot of them who had already been doing this sort of thing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2017
    What makes any of you think that when S4 ends that they will even make a S5? Some of the forum people have been unbelievably rude. But let's say they will, how do you know it will be any better than S4? You all probably thought that S4 would be better than S3, but was it? Let's say S4 ends with the next EP. And next year S5 gets rolled out and it is worse than you ever thought a game could be, would you come to these forums and ask why they stopped good ole S4 when it was so much better than S5 and could have gone on for a lot longer or will you all just grin and bear it? What if they stop S4 and don't make an S5 because they decided, due to the hate, that they would make an S5 for consoles only? What then?

I want a long life for The Sims 4, maybe Maxis want too but EA people like Patrick Söderlund don't care of what the developers/players think as long as they can sell a new half-baked game at an expensive price.

Mass Effect is a good example, The Sims follow the same way.

I also think EA wants to refresh their catalog with new IPs.

As Qyburn said to Pycelle :
    "Whatever your faults, you do not deserve to die alone in such a cold, dark place.
    But sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest."

Rest in peace Mass Effect...

qyburn10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • AshcarrAshcarr Posts: 383 Member
    S4 would have been perfect in my eyes if they hadn't reverted to putting us back into boxes. You can't do something like S3 did and give us open worlds and then just do away with it. I love S4. It's the first time I adored the artistic style. I absolutely love emotions and multi-tasking and how it creates sims who don't feel like robots. However, when you give a player tools like Create-a-Style and terrain editing found in 3 and then leave it out for the sequel, that doesn't feel intuitive.

For these reasons, I'm really hesitant when it comes to how long I want S4 to last. I like it, but it has major faults that I'd want to see corrected in S5 sooner rather than later, but if they do a half baked job and strip out emotions and multi-tasking, then I'd rather just keep playing S4 and hope it goes on for many more years.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I've invested too much money into this to turn back now. Granted, I am new to the Sims franchise. I would like to see them add features that they had in TS2 and TS3 so that I can get the full experience. Of course I could just play those games for that, but I do enjoy playing Sims with emotions.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I've invested too much money into this to turn back now. Granted, I am new to the Sims franchise. I would like to see them add features that they had in TS2 and TS3 so that I can get the full experience. Of course I could just play those games for that, but I do enjoy playing Sims with emotions.

Try playing since day dot and buying multiple computers to play the game. It's an expensive hobby to have but at some point, all good things must come to an end.
  • AmeliaNovaAmeliaNova Posts: 76 Member
    I'm hoping for some new EPs before they start TS5. We've gotten some great ones, but none that are super unique or different than what we've seen before, which is a little disappointing.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    a_niles06 wrote: »
    Personally, I feel like TS4 has a lot of life left in it. If we're only getting 1 EP a year I fail to see how it'll wrap up by 2020 for any possible TS5. I just don't see that happening. I do see them doing something big/fresh/exciting for 2020, though, but I doubt it'll be TS5. I think that the overall system is so much smoother than previous games. I love the ease of having all expansions/game packs/stuff packs in one game engine as opposed to having to go through all of the different discs for install or all of the different folders to place mods/CC/whatever else. I honestly thought I'd hate having it all go through Origin and be download only instead of discs at first but now I love it - it's so much simpler and everything can download at once without me having to insert/remove discs. As long as they maintain that system, I think the amount of content they could include could be almost endless.

TS4 still needs a lot of work in my opinion and there are a lot of key/important pieces still missing. I really hope they don't rush to finish it just to release TS5 in the year of their 20th anniversary. That would guarantee we only get half-baked production, which a lot of people feel is already the case so I definitely don't want it to get any worse.

@a_niles06 - how does that guarantee that? If you look at what's in previous games - what's missing for major EPs - staple ones? Seasons? University? They've already shown that they can bring out supernatural in GPs - how many of those do they do in a year?

I think they've got time to complete TS4 in 3 years especially in the way that have been splitting up content into different types of packs.

The sims 4 will never be complete.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Im hoping not that many. Wishing it ends 2019
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I love this game so much. I don't want it to ever end. I will happily play this game to the end of my days.
  • YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    I Love the sims 4 and i hope it will less for next 10 years!
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    About two more years. The other games lasted for five years
    edited December 2017
    BuzzBuzz wrote: »

I hear this game is going to be made - in their own words "as long as it is feasible to do so". Doesn't matter what the other games did - EA want longer shelf lives for all their games through updates and dlc - both free and paid. Besides all the other games varied a bit. Sims 1 was barely 4 years, Sims 2 was almost 5 years and Sims 3 was well over 5 years.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I hear this game is going to be made - in their own words "as long as it is feasible to do so". Doesn't matter what the other games did - EA want longer shelf lives for all their games through updates and dlc - both free and paid. Besides all the other games varied a bit. Sims 1 was barely 4 years, Sims 2 was almost 5 years and Sims 3 was well over 5 years.
    Yes EA wants to change all their games into online games and live services. But the problem here is that TS4 that way instead.

TS1 wasn’t planned to really have expansions at all because it was only planned to be a small sidegame to SimCity. But to EA’s huge surprise the sales numbers just exploded because very young girls just loved that game even though only few such girls had been interested in the SimCity main game. So EA had to release no less than 7 EPs for Sims 1 even though EA at most had planned to maybe make just one EP if the sales numbers became good. This meant that all those unplanned EPs were quite hard both to make and for us to install (unless they were installed in the correct order there were no chance that they would work). So already after 4 yrs EA preferred to release TS2 as a much bigger game that also was much better prepared for a lot of later expansions. But since then each Sims game has always had a lifespan of almost exactly 5 yrs (only with a variation of a couple of months). So I will actually be surprised if TS5 won’t be released at some time in the second half of 2019.

But if TS5 really will be an online game where we can play with our friends then it will likely have a much longer lifetime just as all other such games have because the game companies know that many gamers won’t move on to the next version of the game if they lose all their online friends in the game.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2017
    Im hoping not that many. Wishing it ends 2019
    Same. Given what base games have been released so far, 2019 is my best guess. Anymore than 20 SPs is just too much for any iteration. I'm ready to move on with fashion, music, and technology by then with a new iteration. Part of me hopes it isn't called the Sims 5. Either way, I won't be supporting any Sims game beyond the five years. That's my limit and more years of development than most games get anyways.

I think people tend to forget how spec intensive Sims games can be too. I mean we are only in year three and they are already complaining how the Sims 4 is breaking their computers. It is one thing to say you want an iteration to last so many years but quite another if their power than minimum spec computers can handle that many more packs. I can already see by year 5 the Sims 4 being unplayable for them like the Sims 3 was. It is just history repeating itself again.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Ashcarr wrote: »
    S4 would have been perfect in my eyes if they hadn't reverted to putting us back into boxes. You can't do something like S3 did and give us open worlds and then just do away with it. I love S4. It's the first time I adored the artistic style. I absolutely love emotions and multi-tasking and how it creates sims who don't feel like robots. However, when you give a player tools like Create-a-Style and terrain editing found in 3 and then leave it out for the sequel, that doesn't feel intuitive.

For these reasons, I'm really hesitant when it comes to how long I want S4 to last. I like it, but it has major faults that I'd want to see corrected in S5 sooner rather than later, but if they do a half baked job and strip out emotions and multi-tasking, then I'd rather just keep playing S4 and hope it goes on for many more years.

I never liked the open world. I just felt there was more to look at rather than do. Only really thing you could do was collect stuff, most of the lots were rabbit holes and just for show.

San Myshuno and Bridleton Bay have both been adding unique things like festivals, food stands, merchants, lighthouses, musicians, performers etc and that's the kind of thing I hope becomes standard for the worlds. I actually really like that.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • aero2491aero2491 Posts: 55 Member
    It think maybe a year and a half
    edited December 2017
    Erpe wrote: »

Yes EA wants to change all their games into online games and live services. But the problem here is that TS4 that way instead.

TS1 wasn’t planned to really have expansions at all because it was only planned to be a small sidegame to SimCity. But to EA’s huge surprise the sales numbers just exploded because very young girls just loved that game even though only few such girls had been interested in the SimCity main game. So EA had to release no less than 7 EPs for Sims 1 even though EA at most had planned to maybe make just one EP if the sales numbers became good. This meant that all those unplanned EPs were quite hard both to make and for us to install (unless they were installed in the correct order there were no chance that they would work). So already after 4 yrs EA preferred to release TS2 as a much bigger game that also was much better prepared for a lot of later expansions. But since then each Sims game has always had a lifespan of almost exactly 5 yrs (only with a variation of a couple of months). So I will actually be surprised if TS5 won’t be released at some time in the second half of 2019.

But if TS5 really will be an online game where we can play with our friends then it will likely have a much longer lifetime just as all other such games have because the game companies know that many gamers won’t move on to the next version of the game if they lose all their online friends in the game.

No it wasn't - we spoke to Will Wright when we tested The Sims, otherwise known as the Sims 1 back in 1999. It was meant to be just one full game and he already had an expansions or two in mind. He told us so. Also - of the 100 players he had testing the sims it was required we be 18 and over. Not young girls. It was males and females 18 +. Although He did tell us another story of an earlier test, testing the game on a room full of 12 year olds - and back then the game was still called The Dollhouse. When the boys in the test room heard it was called The Dollhouse - they all panicked and ran out of the room. That's what made Will decide he needed another name. LOL. He made the game in mind for everyone/ all ages, male and female to enjoy it by the way. The 12 year old girls thing was an EA marketing for Sims, mostly Sims 4.

What he had not planned on was the Sims turning into a series. He said he did get an idea to make a Simsville that would combine the Sims with Sim City - but discovered the tech at that time he'd need to go that direction, the way he had in mind was not readily available to him, was expensive and players could not easily afford equipment that could have even handled a game such as he had in mind.

So after two years of tossing it about, it was decided it would be too expensive and chancey at that time. What EA was interested in doing though was expanding the Sims to generations and making what became Sims 2. I had to laugh when he told us he was terrified though at the thought of expanding the Sims in that manner - but in the end - it all worked out and we got The Sims 2.

ETA - Also EA is no longer talking about making all their games online under this CEO. He believes that not all games were meant to be online. But yes he wants all the games connected to the live service via Origin - and more of EA's popular games (like the Sims) made for all the different devices people have and like to use.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Ashcarr wrote: »

I never liked the open world. I just felt there was more to look at rather than do. Only really thing you could do was collect stuff, most of the lots were rabbit holes and just for show.

San Myshuno and Bridleton Bay have both been adding unique things like festivals, food stands, merchants, lighthouses, musicians, performers etc and that's the kind of thing I hope becomes standard for the worlds. I actually really like that.

San Myshuno is literally the definition of “more to look at than do.

I hope they ditch the whole ‘built in’ world specific gameplay thing they’ve been doing. Players can’t manipulate any of it. They’d be better off focusing their gameplay on lots, and not in the space around the world that can’t be edited.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited December 2017
    Erpe wrote: »

No it wasn't - we spoke to Will Wright when we tested The Sims, otherwise known as the Sims 1 back in 1999. It was meant to be just one full game and he already had an expansions or two in mind. He told us so. Also - of the 100 players he had testing the sims it was required we be 18 and over. Not young girls. It was males and females 18 +. Although He did tell us another story of an earlier test, testing the game on a room full of 12 year olds - and back then the game was still called The Dollhouse. When the boys in the test room heard it was called The Dollhouse - they all panicked and ran out of the room. That's what made Will decide he needed another name. LOL. He made the game in mind for everyone/ all ages, male and female to enjoy it by the way. The 12 year old girls thing was an EA marketing for Sims, mostly Sims 4.

What he had not planned on was the Sims turning into a series. He said he did get an idea to make a Simsville that would combine the Sims with Sim City - but discovered the tech at that time he'd need to go that direction, the way he had in mind was not readily available to him, was expensive and players could not easily afford equipment that could have even handled a game such as he had in mind.

So after two years of tossing it about, it was decided it would be too expensive and chancey at that time. What EA was interested in doing though was expanding the Sims to generations and making what became Sims 2. I had to laugh when he told us he was terrified though at the thought of expanding the Sims in that manner - but in the end - it all worked out and we got The Sims 2.

ETA - Also EA is no longer talking about making all their games online under this CEO. He believes that not all games were meant to be online. But yes he wants all the games connected to the live service via Origin - and more of EA's popular games (like the Sims) made for all the different devices people have and like to use.
    Will Wright was a dreamer whith many ideas about making all kinds of simulation games which shouldn’t have a goal about “winning” like other games had. But his games never sold very well until TS1 was released. That was also the reason why he (and Jeff Braun) in 1997 had to sell Maxis to EA. (They got $120 million in stock for the trade though.) So it is probably true that he had all those ideas and dreams. But it was EA’s task to bring him back from the sky and down to earth and EA only gave TS1 a very low budget for its development. Therefore the graphics were simple, ugly and outdated and the basegame was very small.

The target for TS1 was clearly the SimCity players (at least for EA). But Will Wright of course had other ideas and it doesn’t surprise me if he considered “Dollhouse” as the name for the game. EA would clearly refuse that name though because EA didn’t even dream about TS1 being able to attract all those young girls who at the time usually didn’t like video games and called boys “nerds” for playing them. But EA got a huge surprise and I still remember wondering why all those young girls suddenly came into the game stores (often bringing their mum too) and only being interested in TS1 which I didn’t find interesting myself because it just looked like a primitive dumped down game with ugly graphics to me.

Edit: Will Wright was very admired by all simmers and of course because he invented the original Sims game. But this was actually his only really successful game even though SimCity was at least partly successful too. All his many other games were more failures than successes (even Spore).
    Post edited by Erpe on
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I think the sims 4 has a few years left. I think it all depends on a possible Sims 5. If there will be a sims 5, I guess about 3 or 4 years. If EA doesn't want to do Sims 5, then probably a bit longer.

But no matter how many EP's and GP's, in the end Sims 4 will feel complete in its own way, never like sims 2 or 3. Features will feel more focused but with less additional content to the theme of an EP or GP.

I think in the end I see sims 4 as an experiment.
    -Sims 2 was a huge improvement to sims 1 (first time community lots in a base game and aging).
    -Sims 3 was an improvement to sims 2 because they were trying to push the game to its limits (open world, colour wheel, the 'realistic look' of sims).
    -They couldn't or didn't want to do the same for Sims 4 so EA tried to reinvent the series, focus on the really important aspects. The problem is different players could all bring their own focus to the game in previous editions, but now your focus is more directed by EA. They left out some features that were really important to a lot of players. Most simmers will immediately thing 'toddlers and pools' but also customization of the worlds is something many considered basic. That's why so mane people like to complain about Sims 4, even though the game has become better through the years. Especially when you consider the content brought by free updates.

The big question is which direction could a possible sims 5 take.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I think 2020 or 2021 which im ok with. I doubt i will bother buying another base game again so for me the sims 4 will most likely be my last game in the franchise because i dont have time and because i just find myself less interested in it now days.
  • MekoSharkMekoShark Posts: 161 Member
    I hope it lasts forever and ever and ever.... <3<3<3:*:#;)
    Sharks need love too 🦈

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited December 2017
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Like, personally I'd prefer it if they started working on a TS5 asap while avoiding all the things TS4 did so badly. Maybe they could first re-evaluate their life choices for a while.

Woah...ouch... BURN... :D they might need to apply some ointment to that one. :D

Awesome'd.

Honestly though, I would like to see them extend the TS4 development while concurrently working on TS5 so that it is actually ready for release when they know the development of it is properly done. And THIS time, I'd like to see them actually make an attempt at open world again with proper game optimization.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~