Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Think That the "Happy" Emotion is Oversaturated?

Comments

• Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    If I see one more sim with, like, 8 happy moodlets at once, I'm drowning them all.
    I’ve always supported the idea of making the Uncomfortable moodlet boosts negative emotions. Either that, or change many of the unnecessary moodlets into Fine mood. Like, letting us know what’s going on but not letting our sims go on an emotional roller coaster.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Yes, they've gone way overboard with the happy!
    The emotion that annoys me the most is Uncomfortable, because it adds no interesting gameplay, so I like stacking happy moodlets to overcome it and feed a different emotion, but I agree that the prevalence of Happy makes it hard for my gloomy and hot-headed Sims to ever experience their trait-based emotions as dominant.
  • dezoutlouddezoutloud Posts: 35 Member
    > @bixters said:
    > In fact, I think they should get rid of the happy buffs from decor and change it back to the old "Room" Needs meter from before. It would much better.

That actually sounds perfect, I was actually disappointed when I first played the game that Room was gone. The decorated happy moodlet definitely overpowers a lot of other emotions
  • dezoutlouddezoutloud Posts: 35 Member
    However, I don't think it's so much that happy overpowers everything as it is that certain moodlets that boost happy last waaayy too long. But be that as it may, some moodlets that boost negative moodlets last way too long as well. My sim shouldn't be embarrassed about something that happened at school for 8 hours after they get home, just like they shouldn't be happy about a well decorated room indefinitely until they walk out
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    If I see one more sim with, like, 8 happy moodlets at once, I'm drowning them all.
    Been tired of it.
    p6tqefj
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    Yes, a little bit too much happy.
    no I clearly think that the sims4 needs more joy
    You’re killing me.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I use a few mods to change the emotion system somewhat but really, the emotion system is just not great, and it's the core to the AI. There really are no negative consequences. In Sims 2 and Sims 3, if your mood got too low, there were repercussions. In Sims 4, you just get different whims (and there seem to be fewer of them).
  • Artemis_DreamerArtemis_Dreamer Posts: 200 Member
    No, it's just right.
    I've played this game since release, and to be honest, I've come to appreciate the "happy" moodlets very much. They give buffs to other emotions, which can be remarkably helpful for skill building and relationship building. It's also gratifying to know that the little pixel people I'm taking care of are satisfied and comfortable with their pixel lives.

I'm a storytelling player, but I also enjoy playing for the sake of playing. If I want my sims to behave in certain ways in order to take screenshots, I just use a pose player.

The real world is full of anger and sadness, and I play the Sims to escape from that. I am glad that mods exist for those who would prefer to tune the emotion system differently, but I personally choose not to use them, and would not appreciate if the "happy" balance of the game was changed by the developers.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    no I clearly think that the sims4 needs more joy

Lol. Sorry I couldn't control myself.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ElleysimsElleysims Posts: 133 Member
    I definitely think they should lower things that cause happiness. On my legacy load, I when my father sim became an elder, we threw him a party and he died of being hysterical. I'm like woops but okay. So they lost their dad early. That's cool. Then when one of the kids aged from teen to young adult, she also died telling a joke at her birthday party from being hysterical. The happy mood lets are just to much.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It certainly helps to offset how my baby is miserable all the time.

Still, things that cause emotions OTHER than happiness would be welcome.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • abenaki1972abenaki1972 Posts: 46 Member
    No, it's just right.
    I love my happy sims! =D
  • TaliferinaTaliferina Posts: 46 Member
    "You wonder how I got these scars? It's from smiling so much!"

Honestly, it's nice that my sim is happy but my sim gets happy from the simplest things, I almost never see her in any mood but happy. Sometimes she gets down to Fine, but I've never seen her sad. She got super angry once from her apartment neighbor blasting music but other than that. Happy. Very happy. Back to happy.

It sort of makes me want to be diabolical just to see her in other emotions...
    0sCPiZh.png
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    Yes it's too much, I dislike how the Happy moodlet overrides the other emotions, especially if I happen to be playing a mean, evil, hot headed or child hating sim. They are just too darn happy all the time. I was going to vote for "Yes they've gone overboard" instead of the last one but since they are extreme with the happy, I decided to be extreme with my vote, lol.
  • AstreonAstreon Posts: 1,291 Member
    It’s too powerful. So powerful that all the happiness got my sim killed today from laughing when she suddenly got a +1 playful moodlet -_-

Yup, too much of anything is a bad thing. Even happiness.
  • LavenderlightsLavenderlights Posts: 76 Member
    Yes, I do think that it gets a little too happy-go-lucky at times. Considering all the different aspects in the game that can easily give off a happy moodlet (as well as the other positive moodlets that boost it, as you've mentioned), any negative emotion at all can easily be drowned out, and that can hinder storytelling at times. To balance this out, I think that they should put in just as many aspects that give off negative moodlets, and have them boost each other as well.
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    Absolutely.
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    I had genuinely never thought about it. :/
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2017
    My sim is either overly happy or overly inspired. I don’t mind him being inspired because that means better art for me but it’s rare to see him anything other than happy, the neighbour could drop down dead on his porch and he’d just skip merrily over the body before heading off the work,

To be honest I’d like a better emotion system, woobyfu, why not throw in depression spells and out of the blue fits of hysterical rage?! I’d rather have a world full of manically angry sims than have to see one more saunter down the street happy as a clam.
    My sims can’t be anything other than happy unless I actively make them suffer. I once fed my sims sister pufferfish just so she’d stop being so upbeat! Don’t worry I brought her back after, I just wanted to check the emotions weren’t glitched up to high heaven.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I had a sim like this too, he is (was) goofball, creative, and cheerful. I swapped his cheerful trait out for cat lover because you get plenty of happy moodlets without being cheerful. He was either always inspired or happy.

I like to keep a vampire on hand to influence emotions, it helps keep the happy overload at bay.
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Far too much time spent in the happy mood. The rest is tense because of stressful work, and sometimes playful because of the bubble bath after work.

Emotional traits barely ever have an effect, which is a shame. If Gloomy actually made a Sim constantly a little bit sad and it stayed that way, that would be awesome. But instead it's overwritten by using a technological masterpiece of a toilet.
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited November 2017
    When it was announced, I was super-excited for emotions in TS4. But, now that I've actually seen them in play, let's just say that dream was dead on the floor immediately.

There's way too much happy in TS4. I get that it's aimed at teen girls, but the sugary, saccharine sweetness of it all is super overwhelming and unrealistic. Emotions seem to be purely utilitarian, rather than something meaningful.

Remember in 2 and 3, when your Sim would be in a bad mood and certain interactions would be greyed out because "So-and-So is too (emotion) to do this right now", or you'd get a popup saying something to the effect of "I am in NO mood to do that right now". Why not have that be a thing in TS4 too?

I have a Creative Sim who has the Gloomy trait, meaning that his art and music are of a higher quality when he's sad. I don't want that overridden just because he happens to be standing in the same room as a really fancy couch.

Edit: You can drown Sims in TS4? Does that mean they added pools, finally? What DLC did that come with?
    Post edited by lauravonawesome on
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    edited November 2017
    If there’s anything most of us can agree on, The Sims 4 should toughen its image. If anything, vampires are one of its saving graces from being seen as a kids’ game.
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    MMX wrote: »
    If there’s anything most of us can agree on, The Sims 4 should toughen its image. If anything, vampires are one of its saving graces from being seen as a kids’ game.

While I don't care for vampires, I would love to see a mature, well-thought-out Sims game; I don't mean mature as in X-rated, but EA seems unaware that their fanbase has evolved: those of us who grew up loving TS1 and 2 are now adults, and TS4 left us in the dust.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • SimlishTVSimlishTV Posts: 157 Member
    Yep. Positive moodlets usually quickly overlap the negative ones. Even after the death of a loved one, the Sims returns to a good mood too quickly . it's not so easy to make a sim unhappy.
    9pwqto4xacbr.jpg