Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Think That the "Happy" Emotion is Oversaturated?

SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
edited November 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The emotions system is one of the things that the developers of The Sims 4 were the most proud of from launch. This game has given us the ability to murder our sims with emotion, even. Unfortunately, there's one emotion that we just can't escape from without mods or very selective decorating...Happy. Put a painting on the wall, your sim is Happy. Eat a meal, your sim is Happy. Grab some boo--uh, juice, your sim is Happy. Exercise, your sim is Happy. Have all needs full or nearly full, your sim is Happy. These Happy moodlets often take up most of the slots in the moodlet display and completely override negative moodlets from emotional traits like "Goomy" and "Hotheaded". Making Happy even more overpowered is the fact that it enhances other positive emotions like Flirty and Playful...and the negative emotions have no such booster!

But, what do you think? Is TS4 oversaturated with items and actions that give our sims Happy moodlets, or is all of this constant joy perfectly acceptable to you?
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Do You Think That the "Happy" Emotion is Oversaturated? 246 votes

No, this game needs even more joy!
1%
xoJessifriendlysimmerselelunicybarespyce 4 votes
No, it's just right.
6%
IcewolfWitchirisHelkkuliSavorySageChampandGirliekittymeowFrancl27Greenyoshi6abenaki1972BambooramArtemis_Dreamergummybear0724simgameLuttuceDance219paradiseplanet 15 votes
Yes, a little bit too much happy.
28%
Akl500Pcameronw209icmnfrshSimsprocfunAndreaTheHeroCrmelsimloverSerraNolwensimgirl1010luthienrisingApparentlyAwesomeSimberella777zagboorulesHayliaPaulPegasysSim2SporeWenniepenniesheronparrisElenPinkPrincessMeiSonata13Singer 69 votes
Yes, they've gone way overboard with the happy!
36%
auroraael14CK213ErpeJaline33alan650111Cabelle1863MaMaTwinklebirdJessa_DakkarVkittykremesch73GoodywoodWritin_RegNihmochrstal27CynnaMagdaleenarosehrtgirllink4566drake_mccartyalejandro15039 90 votes
If I see one more sim with, like, 8 happy moodlets at once, I'm drowning them all.
27%
Bluefairy286missmani09BriannaSkifSimsweetieSimpatsyannKelleygirlRukola_SchaafEvil_Onekeekee53elanorbretonGoldenBuffyPeachesnDucksalexandreaBagoas77CinebarNinoosimmortiaJennyggChanticostarguru 68 votes

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,595 Member
    If I see one more sim with, like, 8 happy moodlets at once, I'm drowning them all.
    My sims get way too many happy moodlets. Partly it's my fault because I make my sim add upgrades to all their plumbing things and these gives them the moodlets. But I need the upgrades so my sims can have clean toilets without having to scrub them all the time, ya know? XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • PerunaPeruna Posts: 101 Member
    Yes, definitely. Like DeKay, I like upgrading all my sims' plumbing so they don't break down or get dirty all the time, but that leads to my sims getting happy moodlets just from using the toilet, which is...I mean, I'm sure a bidet is nice and all, but I doubt any person would be happy about it for several hours. And the constant happy moodlets from decorations are really annoying - I like decorating houses, but what's the point of the emotional system if every little thing just makes your sim happy to the point they experience no other emotions? I personally have a mod that removes the happy moodlets from surroundings and I honestly enjoy my game much more now. And if I want to overwrite a negative moodlet with a positive one - say, the alien pregnancy moodlet that doesn't expire until the end of the pregnancy - I actually have to work for it a bit instead of just making that sim walk into a cute room.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Both happy and uncomfortable kick in too early. Sim is 3 hours away from having to pee and cannot garden? Really? Sim gets hungry (not starving, just hungry) in 24 hours and already complains he's uncomfortable? Oh, please...
    Sims 4 sims are such whiners that I welcome the ease with which happy state can be reached. Emotions are just buffs anyway and I hate it when debuffs like sad lock me out of actions. If I had my way, the game would just simulate physical needs and what happens inside their minds should be for the player to make up.

So, personally I can live with the constant happy moodlets, but objectively I see how it is too easy and off balance.
  • KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    The happy moodlets stack and override negative moodlets too easily. The happy buff from decorations needs to be removed, it's overpowered. I also use a mod that removes the decoration buffs but I think the whole emotions system needs some tweaks to make it more balanced and to make emotions have more impact.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'm doing this Bachelor-type challenge right now, and sometimes I'll cheat my sim's moodlets to make them look sad when I take a picture of them in the confession room (because they had just been eliminated). I usually need to add extra sad moodlets because they immediately gain a "well decorated" happy moodlet when I unpause, which overrides the sad ones.

Someone suggested diminishing returns for the well decorated moodlets, because IRL, the novelty does wear off after a while.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I like diverse sims and diverse stories. The overwhelming happiness gets in the way of my storytelling to the point I feel like giving up playing way too often. When happy moodlets from environment and good plumbing override a sad moodlet from someone's death, you know it's effed up. I appreciate small things in life but nicely working shower in my house is not enough to make me walk around with a scary grin on my face all day.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    No, this game needs even more joy!
    no I clearly think that the sims4 needs more joy
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Yes, definitely. Especially the silly happy buffs that come from decor and override any negative emotions. I use Zirbu's Happy Buffs to Fine mod to fix it. Otherwise, my sims are way too happy!
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    In fact, I think they should get rid of the happy buffs from decor and change it back to the old "Room" Needs meter from before. It would much better.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited November 2017
    This cannot be understated. I mean there's actually a stat for how frequently they've experienced emotions, but it's kind of a joke since Happy will be waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of all other emotions 99% of the time.

It probably wasn't a good design choice to make happy combine with other emotions. Instead they probably should've cooled it on the happy moodlets in general and just given ALL emotions priority over happy, since happy is functionally just "Fine but a little bit better than fine." I also think it's safe to say that if you're happy and then you find out someone stole your car, then your anger/frustration/sadness is going to override your happiness, but if you have your car stolen and then win a new one, your happiness is unlikely to override the anger or frustration since the principle of the stolen car still bothers you. Happiness should've been marked as the "weakest" emotion instead of synergizing with all positive ones.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • saishousaishou Posts: 276 Member
    It also kind of bothers me that a Sim is just constantly smiling wide when they're happy; it always looks so unnatural (and creepy)
    Keep moving forward.

- My Art - Website - OriginID : saishou
    pv_by_sai_shou-dbye3yu.jpg
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I think its too much, In fact the two couple that I am playing which is a heat-headed, and a gloomy, never get sad nor angry. They only get sad or angry if that random moodlet pops up when they woke up but then after they eat, they becomes happy. I really think the emotion in the moodlets should be based on traits, not set in a predefined emotion.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I have the mod installed that removes the happy moodlet from decoration and I have no idea how anyone can play without it. Before I had that mod I remember moving my sim into the biggest lot and getting rid of her money in order to play a rags to riches. She was constantly happy because she lived on a beautiful lot, erm you sleep in a tent and pee in a bush, stop with the happy. It's a lot better with the mod installed but my sims still spend more time in positive emotions than negative because happy boosts them.

Out of curiosity I just checked the stats on a sim I've been playing for months, this is without the happy moodlet from decor. Her 3 most frequent emotions were happy 392 times, confident 279 and inspired 211. Her least frequent emotions were dazed 8 times, bored 5 times and angry 4 times. Not sure if anger is super weak or if it's the way I play but I'm sure it should be a stronger emotion than that. I know some people are more chilled out but this sim completed both deviant aspirations meaning she spent her time going round fighting people, apparently she's a very zen criminal. Interestingly her teenage daughter has been happy 82 times and angry 18 times, so it seems more balanced but I'm guessing that's because I played through her toddler days.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    The happy mood in this game is nearly impervious to anything we do, it doesn't matter what happens, they're always happy.

Worse still, I think this must be intentional, surely no-one could balance their game this badly by accident?
    raw
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Agree, it's way overused. If my sims aren't uncomfortable, they're happy. Always. All the time. Unless their traits are making them confident or creative or concentrated instead by random. It's just.. it's not a meaningful emotion at this point. At all.

They're rarely just fine, because that's usually the absence of moodlets. Happy has really kind of taken over as the default emotion by far. Which seems very unrealistic. I'm not happy 24/7. My sims shouldn't be either. Pretty decor doesn't make me happy, usually I don't even acknowledge it.
    What if Sims 4 did more of an Inside Out approach, where each sim had one specific dominant emotion that usually influences their actions? Anger, sadness, happiness, fear, disgust... As it is, everyone's primary emotion is happiness and it's just not realistic. Fear doesn't even exist. Why.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • SimReviewsSimReviews Posts: 211 Member
    I hate hate hate the Over use of Happy Moods Let.

--dictated by simreviews, written by Louise--
    I'm an avid sims4 simmer born in France and living with a gogeous husband and 2 twin baby girls, working as a game developer & cc maker. and looking for a teaching job ;p
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I think there are some key factors that would help tone down the overdone happy:

- kill environmental happiness from decoration
    - kill 'well cared for' from high needs (or make it harder to get, such as requiring the hidden water need to be high, requiring a dance machine sim to not be bored from lack of dance, that sort of thing.... or make it something you loot when your needs get high that is temporary duration and has a cooldown on getting it again... I mean, it's fairly realistic for a person to be happy because their needs are met, but not in such a weirdly permanent way)
    - make it significantly easier to "fail" in a conversation (thus making it harder to get the "pleasant conversation" type moodlets)

There's still a lot of actions that make a sim happy, but this would hit at some of the overdone pillars of it, I think. Make it seem a fair bit more sensible.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    As much as I'm glad it's easy to get rid of some unwanted negative emotions, I'll agree they overdid it a little with the happy moodlets. I think two main things would have made it better: making negative emotions make each other stronger, and giving us some kind of contented moodlet that boosts other positive emotions, but doesn't override the negative and doesn't give a happy moodlet on its own. That contented "emotion" could be the one used for full needs, good meals and ambient stuff, with happy then being only for happy events (new relationships and such). I also wish they had put a decay on the more powerful emotions so they don't have such big mood swings. Things like newlyweds going from a Happy +3 to a Happy +2 on the next day, then +1. Same would go for mourning, they wouldn't go from super sad to suddenly happy after three days.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    The drowning option. Happy moodlets are beyond ridiculous in this game.
  • SimLarkSimLark Posts: 143 Member
    I sometimes wonder how they do not die of so much happiness. ;)
    I am not an English native speaker, so excuse my French :)
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I voted for a little too happy, but I think it's what they wanted. Sims are happy or fine by default and that's okay with me.
    I normally get only two or three +1 Happy moodlets ; good meal, decorated, high needs.
    Replacing Happy with something else is easy enough too, so I don't know what's this outrage about.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    I voted for a little too happy, but I think it's what they wanted. Sims are happy or fine by default and that's okay with me.
    I normally get only two or three +1 Happy moodlets ; good meal, decorated, high needs.
    Replacing Happy with something else is easy enough too, so I don't know what's this outrage about.

Well, the main thing is, because Happy moodlets come from just about everything and give a buff to other positive/productive emotions, while negative moodlets are generally weak and have no booster of their own, we rarely get to see or experience the negative emotions (Sadness, Anger, Embarrassment). That sort of makes the gameplay experience not only much shallower, but more frustrating for players who are storytellers (whether they share their stories or just enjoy them like their own private T.V. show) as well. It's like they never feel anything that's not considered productive...Sort of like how, in real life (at least in America, I don't know how bad it is in other countries) you're not really allowed to feel sad or angry or scared or nervous because those emotions serve no purpose for you or your employers/teachers as a unit of production in this chew-em-up-and-spit-em-out factory farm of a society we live in. We want a break from the expectation that everyone be contented and productive, at the very least, in a video game where we control the universe, dangit.

...That's where that frustration comes from.
    5MNZlGQ.gif
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited November 2017
    I just mean I don't have this problem in my game, so it must be different for everyone. For example I keep reading about people's sims going to extreme emotions all the time, even dying from them, while me I very rarely get to the Very XYZ spectrum. They wake up feeling fine, go to work feeling confident, come back home feeling tense or fine. To relax they might become playful from watching TV. Little things make them happy, but never to the point of Very Happy or Extremely Happy. I think the happy moodlet boosts other moodlets anyway. There's not much drama in my game, so maybe I play differently. I guess what EA should do is to make negative moodlets stronger for storytellers? I wouldn't mind.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I just mean I don't have this problem in my game, so it must be different for everyone. For example I keep reading about people's sims going to extreme emotions all the time, even dying from them, while me I very rarely get to the Very XYZ spectrum. They wake up feeling fine, go to work feeling confident, come back home feeling tense or fine. To relax they might become playful from watching TV. Little things make them happy, but never to the point of Very Happy or Extremely Happy. I think the happy moodlet boosts other moodlets anyway. There's not much drama in my game, so maybe I play differently. I guess what EA should do is to make negative moodlets stronger for storytellers? I wouldn't mind.

Personally, I also think that Uncomfortable should become the booster for negative emotions, since it's almost as common as Happy in terms of how many things can trigger it (cheap furniture, messy home, nasty food/drinks, crafting things on the woodworking table with low Handiness skill, vampire transformation, etc.). That would help add some semblance of balance to the emotion system, along with strengthening negative moodlets from personality traits. The emotions system has so much potential for enhancing gameplay, but the emphasis on positivity and productivity makes it feel very lopsided and mechanical.
    5MNZlGQ.gif
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Personally, I also think that Uncomfortable should become the booster for negative emotions, since it's almost as common as Happy in terms of how many things can trigger it (cheap furniture, messy home, nasty food/drinks, crafting things on the woodworking table with low Handiness skill, vampire transformation, etc.). That would help add some semblance of balance to the emotion system, along with strengthening negative moodlets from personality traits. The emotions system has so much potential for enhancing gameplay, but the emphasis on positivity and productivity makes it feel very lopsided and mechanical.
    I really like when that is done. Zerbu has a mod that does it and it really helps balance out the happy moodlets more. I just wish it did this naturally in the game as well without the help of mods.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller