Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

National Novel Writing Month

MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
Hello, everyone!

It's November now and that means it's time for NaNoWriMo! National Novel Writing Month, where writers of all kind scramble to write 50,000 words in a month.

So, I thought it appropriate to ask who here might be participating. Why do you like NaNoWriMo? Why not? How do you go about your writing? Did you prepare? And so forth.

While there's space dedicated on the forums to writing for the Sims games, I figured a nice new NaNoWriMo-specific thread here would work to include everyone writing stories of all kinds, Sims-related or otherwise. If the thread needs to be moved or is redundant, I offer my humble apologies and will slither away into the night.

As for me, I'll be working on a novel that's about half finished, a fantasy that is part planning and part just rolling with it and seeing what happens.

I wish everyone the very best!
a63ftuN.png

Comments

• CharliecheesenurgersCharliecheesenurgers Posts: 3,673 Member
    I don't know if I'll participate this year. I already did inktober so...
    Come Join our mafia games in the off-topic chat! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930404/mafia-masterlist#latest
    It's a lot of fun!
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I don't know if I'll participate this year. I already did inktober so...

That would be really exhausting. I've considered inktober, but haven't made the plunge yet. I'll be traveling also during November, so I'm already expecting not nearly as much writing as I'd like to happen. November just sort of always ends up being a difficult month.
    a63ftuN.png
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm doing my 4th NaNo this time. I'm generally a plantser a bit of planning a bit of not. Most I likely to plan out my characters and a very loose guide of roughly the general direction I need to go in. And then like to just let my characters take me on the journey.

This year I had like no plan at all. I'm still referring to my MCs very long-term SO as "he" lol I did NOTHING. But I'm still moving along pretty well here. 6k in and it's still day 2. Can probably squeeze in a bit more writing before work.

I was really surprised at how much I could actually write when I first did NaNo. For me it was huge confidence booster. And I just really love the community involved in it, it's so warm and fuzzy. I love this crazy event.

Post edited by dreamerz13 on
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Monday wrote: »
    Hello, everyone!

It's November now and that means it's time for NaNoWriMo! National Novel Writing Month, where writers of all kind scramble to write 50,000 words in a month.

So, I thought it appropriate to ask who here might be participating. Why do you like NaNoWriMo? Why not? How do you go about your writing? Did you prepare? And so forth.

While there's space dedicated on the forums to writing for the Sims games, I figured a nice new NaNoWriMo-specific thread here would work to include everyone writing stories of all kinds, Sims-related or otherwise. If the thread needs to be moved or is redundant, I offer my humble apologies and will slither away into the night.

As for me, I'll be working on a novel that's about half finished, a fantasy that is part planning and part just rolling with it and seeing what happens.

I wish everyone the very best!

I actually hate nanowrimo. I tried it last year and it stressed me out so much. Knowing that I only had one month to write 50K was stressful. Also, the required 1,667 word count was stressful as well because I'm used to writing 1000 words daily maximum. 50K in a month just can't be done.
    I much prefer Camp Nanowrimo that takes place in April and July. In Camp nanowrimo you can set your own daily word count goal, over all word count. I find Camp nanowrimo much less stressful.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm actually trying to do NaNoWriMo for good this year but I only have over 2,000 words. If anyone wants who *is* participating in NaNoWriMo.. I can get a playlist of videos of tips from someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjBBFaHt7no&list=PLNdMWpsB0Xg0oF70HeytFVM8p9u44e2ew
    6adMCGP.gif
  • xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    I am definitely trying NaNoWriMo this year.
    I've already written about 8,000 words!
    I'm writing a sort of long story, hopefully it'll go to 50,000 words!
    MPy9H9S.gif
    I'm only got over 2,000 words
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    @dreamerz13 But...can you keep that character unnamed for the whole novel? That would be a feat unto itself. And that's what I like about NaNoWriMo, it really can be surprising. Even if you don't need to write at a ridiculous pace, it can be a nice boost to know you can.

@wolfkomoki1 I LOVE Camp NaNoWriMo for exactly those reasons. Plus, there is the built in support system with the cabins which I've always found nice. When I've done Camp seriously and without going crazy, I tend to max out at about 30,000 words. So that seems to be my general 'working hard' pace and I'm good with that. November, if I do it properly, is more like a frenzy.

Congrats to all the word counts so far! Any words down is a good amount.

Me. Um. WELL just to um. Shine up this nice 0 words I have so far. You know.
    a63ftuN.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I've just finished writing a novel and am busy doing some editing. Nitpicking, as I call it. Where I go back through and add little bits of description or other key facts that got left out. Such as how it was common to poke random holes in the chinking (of a log cabin) to allow for air-flow in the hot months. Fix those amazing and confounding typos, etc. It's my first ever historical fiction. I'm pleased with it, on the whole.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I just have some trouble writing with my NANOWRIMO story..I'm not even going to get 10,000 words in much less 50,000 words
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I just have some trouble writing with my NANOWRIMO story..I'm not even going to get 10,000 words in much less 50,000 words

What's the main problem you've been facing?

Is it that you know what you need for them to do and how it needs to happen, but the words won't come?

Is it that you don't know how to get from Point A to Point B in your novel?

Or is it something else?

Is the 2000 words more than you would have gotten had you not done NaNo? If so, then even if you only end up with the 2000 words you have now, then you've won. And you'll have a goal for next year even if you don't aim for 50K: beat last year's word count
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Is it that you know what you need for them to do and how it needs to happen, but the words won't come?

Or is it something else?

Is the 2000 words more than you would have gotten had you not done NaNo? If so, then even if you only end up with the 2000 words you have now, then you've won. And you'll have a goal for next year even if you don't aim for 50K: beat last year's word count

Just trying to write a story which has at least 10,000 words. I know another story I did (that had nothing to do with NaNoWriMo) was about 7,334 words. But I think my main problem is I'm distracted with other stuff. I guess because I'm trying to use a lot more words and trying to "Pants" ( as I go along).
    6adMCGP.gif

Or is it something else?

Just trying to write a story which has at least 10,000 words. I know another story I did (that had nothing to do with NaNoWriMo) was about 7,334 words. But I think my main problem is I'm distracted with other stuff. I guess because I'm trying to use a lot more words and trying to "Pants" ( as I go along).

Maybe take a day or two to do some planning (not necessarily a 10 page outline of what happens, but at least a roadmap).

Distraction was always my worst enemy when I've tried NaNo.

For now, I'd say, just worry about writing if you're not aiming for 50K this month. Words will come.

And if in doubt, add ninjas :wink: or some other random plot device to get you writing (even though it will be edited out when/if you ever came back to the novel). One of them gets the munchies and has to go to the grocery store. One of the character's mom/dad/brother/sister/long lost friend shows up out of the blue for a poorly timed surprise visit.
    edited November 2017

Or is it something else?

Maybe take a day or two to do some planning (not necessarily a 10 page outline of what happens, but at least a roadmap).

Distraction was always my worst enemy when I've tried NaNo.

For now, I'd say, just worry about writing if you're not aiming for 50K this month. Words will come.

And if in doubt, add ninjas :wink: or some other random plot device to get you writing (even though it will be edited out when/if you ever came back to the novel). One of them gets the munchies and has to go to the grocery store. One of the character's mom/dad/brother/sister/long lost friend shows up out of the blue for a poorly timed surprise visit.

this is actually my first time trying to do it for good I got inspired by a youtuber online..maybe I should go listen to his "NaNoWriMo" advice videos (and his 1,667 words song!! also for NaNoWriMo). I tried to do it once before..but I never wrote a thing. I should go and look up the other Fisher Price sets so i'm able to describe them well (big part of my story. I think I found a place to add 3 new words... (I should also go look up a particular scene for my "flashback"? reflection? a reflection-flashback scene from a TV show- which is coming up soon-the scene not the TV show-since I need to use the words).

I need to get back to Tam..one of my characters--since she's the only one (besides the MC and a new girl) who aren't in the dungeons.
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • umbralshadowsumbralshadows Posts: 212 Member
    i never herd of it. .. sucks cuzz im a writer so i wish i knew so i couda joined in. ohwell. ... *disappoint*
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    lookin for lets players an reviewers for tha short/demo version a my game
    download here
    i never herd of it. .. plum cuzz im a writer so i wish i knew so i couda joined in. ohwell. ... *disappoint*

You still can!

You can technically start on November 30th. It just might be really hard to hit 50K words in time XD
    i never herd of it. .. plum cuzz im a writer so i wish i knew so i couda joined in. ohwell. ... *disappoint*

You still can!

You can technically start on November 30th. It just might be really hard to hit 50K words in time XD

is there a spacific place i go for it or just write on my own? ? like whered i upload my story to?? heh
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    download here

You still can!

is there a spacific place i go for it or just write on my own? ? like whered i upload my story to?? heh

http://www.nanowrimo.org

You don't upload your story to the site at all. You post your word count on the site and at the end of the month, you C&P your novel into a word counter on the site that stores it just long enough to count the words.

The forums on the site will have more information.
    Monday wrote: »
    @dreamerz13 But...can you keep that character unnamed for the whole novel? That would be a feat unto itself. And that's what I like about NaNoWriMo, it really can be surprising. Even if you don't need to write at a ridiculous pace, it can be a nice boost to know you can.

It was very tempting lol, but I finally named him about 17k in. I really do like him being unnamed better, but it felt impractical too. I have gone a whole novel without naming a character before though lol.
    For those struggling with word count. As seera suggested sometimes it helps to write scenes you know you're going to cut later, just to keep those creative juices flowing and keep that word count up. It can be the most random thing, but just write it. If you follow NaNoWriMo or various writing pages on social media they'll post prompts sometimes you can use (some post daily, some weekly). Nanowordsprints on twitter goes all day every day through November (mostly, there's the odd gap where it's inactive for a couple hours) and they run sprints and usually include a prompt with each one. Or you can google prompts, whatever works for you (I LOVE the nanowordsprints twitter though. It helps me so much).

I also like to start writing from a different character's perspective. Sometimes it's good to think about your characters from a different perspective, it can really help develop them. Also, still counts towards your word count.

And either of those can help you spark ideas for scenes that you do need or want to keep. Something that comes up in there might trigger a lightbulb moment. And sometimes you just need to take your attention away from something to clear your head, so not focusing on this spot you're stuck in for a bit or even if you're not really stuck but just slowing down or something's not quite right you may just have been on the same path for too long, divert your path for a bit, refresh your mind.

One of the things I did today, because I'm really going all over the place, is just had my MC/narrator just kind talk to the reader and try to recall and recap what she's covered and remember where she left off. Just kind of help myself reorganize a bit, while still boosting my word count.

And always remember, in NaNoWriMo, there is NO *only*. DO NOT use the word "only". You have more words than you had before, you are writing, that's what matters. That is the purpose to get people writing. You don't have to hit any goals. You don't have to hit 50k if it's not achievable for you. No, you won't be able to claim an official win and all the winner goodies. But that's okay, if you need to set your own goal, that's fine, there's no shame in that.
    allrite got litle over 2.5k words written so far for these couple hours but that site confuses me on how ta update my words count heh
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    download here
    what does it mean if I have a habit of using the "sleeping curse" (ie potion) in other food (or in one case) drink?
    6adMCGP.gif
    I got 5,039words written!!!
    6adMCGP.gif
    allrite got litle over 2.5k words written so far for these couple hours but that site confuses me on how ta update my words count heh

You may have it sorted out by now but if you go up to the top right corner-ish of the page it's there (under "words so far"). You can either update your total word count, whatever your total words are at the time you update, and it will break down all the rest of the math it does based on that (like your word count per day and whatever). Or, more useful I find but you may find otherwise, you can add to your existing total. So you only add in the words you've written since you last updated your total, not everything you've done so far. And it will just add it up and give you your new total words written.

At this point you do NOT have to verify your word count to update it. But you can if you want (IIRC if you verify it automatically updates your total written for you), not always a bad idea because your word processor may have a different count than NaNo's verifier (But I don't think it's worth doing this EVERY time, just once in a while so you have an idea how far off you are). To win you WILL have to verify your word count on the site after you hit 50k (and after winning opens mid-month). And you can do that in the same box where you update your word count. It'll bring up a new box where you can paste everything you've done so far.

If you're on mobile they'll switch it up to you. Click the little icon of a person in the *left* top corner, and find words so far but then it works the same way.

Hopefully that helped if you haven't figured it out (and I didn't make worse. Not good at explaining things... I don't know why I'm a writer lol).

Also, that's an awesome count for only a few hours! You've got this!
    I got 5,039words written!!!

That is awesome! Congrats!