Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things That Grind Your Gears.

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited October 2017 in Off Topic Chat
It can be anything, whatever is bothering you today. I guess we leave politics and other topics out of it, but today my gears have been ground ;) by reading a flyer from a mall, they are hosting their annual Trick or Treat thing for kids, they do every year. Well, this year everyone is a winner. That's right, everyone gets a princess tierra. Everyone. :s I know lots of boys who would be mortified by getting a princess tierra. Sure they could give it to a sister, but sometimes people don't use their noodles. ETA: My point by being all inclusive you exclude the obvious.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I was bored of always playing the same games, so last month I decided to buy a new one.
    It ended up costing me a real freakin' fortune. Money I should be saving. So I guess it would be the high cost of playing video games.

- Bought on Steam. I exceeded my download limit from my provider : 90$ penalty for a made up resource that's really unlimited anyway.
    - I fried my 1 year old video card : 300$ for a new one.
    - In-game purchases : about 60$. If I had read more carefully the catalog I could have cut that cost in half.

And 3 weeks later I'm already back to playing TS4.
  • Hippie_SimmerHippie_Simmer Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited October 2017
    Picky people. They drive me nuts! Nothing is ever good enough for them. :angry: As a laid back person, I cannot be picky. I just don't have that sort of personality. Something else that grinds my gears is littering. The planet is not a trash can. Yet most people treat it like it is their own personal trash can. Ugh.
    And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. -Led Zeppelin
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I know lots of boys who would be mortified by getting a princess tierra.
    Whats mortifying about a tiara?
    tiaras are awesome.

And that's something that grinds my gears: gendered toys.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    People who cham or chew their food with their mouth open.
    People who make a point to others that they are vegan. Who cares! You continue eating your lettuce.
    People who mix up were and where. There's a 'friend' of mine on facebook who is just awful at spelling and it really irritates me.
    People who talk on their phones whilst being served at a supermarket. It's so rude.

I have so many more lol
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I know lots of boys who would be mortified by getting a princess tierra.
    Whats mortifying about a tiara?
    tiaras are awesome.

And that's something that grinds my gears: gendered toys.

Boys have feelings too, and some would prefer a toy for them not everything has to be gender free and or for girls. Not all males want to wear one. Lol, I spelled it wrong but had to leave, lol, and didn't bother correcting it, I had terrain tools on the brain.

Something else that grinds my gears trying to make everyone the same when we are not.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited October 2017
    simlish1 wrote: »
    People who cham or chew their food with their mouth open.
    People who make a point to others that they are vegan. Who cares! You continue eating your lettuce.
    People who mix up were and where. There's a 'friend' of mine on facebook who is just awful at spelling and it really irritates me.
    People who talk on their phones whilst being served at a supermarket. It's so rude.

I have so many more lol

I have one, when people say weather instead of whether I go to the store or not. :)

I won't create another post so others can post what bothers them....but here is one when Subway tricks people into thinking it's cheaper to buy a 6" sub than it is to buy a foot long and split it with a friend. (Unless there is a sale).
    edited October 2017
    some would prefer a toy for them
    But it is for them.
    2MFRVPf.jpg

All the best boys wear tiaras

180px-Elrond11.jpg

Not all males want to wear one.
    only if they're lame in one leg.
    Who wouldn't want a tiny crown of sparkles on their head?

Something else that grinds my gears trying to make everyone the same when we are not.
    And it grinds my gears when people can't see how similar we all really are. :p

Post edited by Movotti on
  • ssssimyalaterssssimyalater Posts: 36 Member
    It grinds my gears when one person at your work doesn’t follow processes like the rest of us; can’t do the same things as the rest of us and is constantly asking everyone to do simple tasks for them; takes things from THE PRINTER WHEN ITS NOT THEIR PRINTING; repeats the same thing over and over again; literally thinks everyone is “such a nice person” (and I mean everyone); cries for no 🐸🐸🐸🐸 reason.

This was good, I needed this. Haha
    It grinds my gears when you decide to cancel your TV provider and go with a different company but the first company waits until you have cancelled ther service to offer you a much better deal. If they could do that, then why didn't they do it to start with. :s
    some would prefer a toy for them
    But it is for them.
    2MFRVPf.jpg

All the best boys wear tiaras

180px-Elrond11.jpg

Not all males want to wear one.
    only if they're lame in one leg.
    Who wouldn't want a tiny crown of sparkles on their head?

And it grinds my gears when people can't see how similar we all really are. :p

It's about as useful to kids as giving everyone a jock strap.

I think you mean as useful as a pirate hat, or a plastic, toy construction workers hat, or a pair of ears on a head band. They'e all decorative things for play pretend that go on your head.
    Now excuse me while I stick a plastic tiara on my head, and pretend that I'm as hot as Norman Reedus in a tiara.

Also, Thranduil can't hear you over the awesomeness of his tiara.
    c328a56305bb2d4502fe977ee45e0a0d.jpg

What grinds my gears: people who can't see how awesome tiaras are for EVERYONE!!!
  • FenrithFenrith Posts: 45 Member
    With eyebrows like Thranduil's, no one's going to notice what you're wearing.

It grinds my gears when blond elves have brown eyebrows.
  • VromanceVromance Posts: 72 Member
    Hmm...my gears are especially grinded(?) when there's a fly going around my room when I'm about to eat. It's like, c'mon silly fly! you know it's a death sentence if you get near me, my food, and my electric fly swatter. Why would you hurt yourself like this and waste my time... TT
    tumblr_oalut1nqGt1vzdforo4_r1_500.gif
    Fenrith wrote: »
    With eyebrows like Thranduil's, no one's going to notice what you're wearing.

It grinds my gears when blond elves have brown eyebrows.
    Blond with dark eyebrows is a natural real world thing
    Why on earth would an awesome natural combination like that grind your gears?

What grinds my gears? I haven't yet had enough coffee to get back to finishing my costume for tonight.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    What grinds my gears is when people think that being a hypocrite/troll automatically makes them some kind of world class comedian. These kinds of people are basically desperation personified.
  • FenrithFenrith Posts: 45 Member
    > @Movotti said:
    > Blond with dark eyebrows is a natural real world thing
    > Why on earth would an awesome natural combination like that grind your gears?

It only bugs me with elves. And a certain Mother of Dragons. I don't know where this particular prejudice came from.

Actually, what grinds my gears is being a newb on a forum.
    Fenrith wrote: »
    > @Movotti said:
    > Blond with dark eyebrows is a natural real world thing
    > Why on earth would an awesome natural combination like that grind your gears?

It only bugs me with elves. And a certain Mother of Dragons. I don't know where this particular prejudice came from.

Actually, what grinds my gears is being a newb on a forum.

Ok... Guess it's like the issue I have with beardless dwarven women... or beardless dwarves in general. What kind of dwarf has no beard?!

And keep posting, you'll be a full member soon!
  • liel88liel88 Posts: 631 Member
    It always grinds my gears when you are walking in a crowd with your kid, and the people in front of you just decide to stand still and chat and "drink tea" or something. "Ladies my toddler has to pee, MOVE! PLEASE!"
    gZJwNIt.jpg
  • ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    Stubborn people. And I mean the REALLY stubborn kind. People that refuse to even listen.
    It's ok that they don't follow my advice but I'd appreciate if people listened. And if people just ignore me when I'm right in front of them or make excuses that really gets me annoyed.
  • BitterTearsBitterTears Posts: 1 New Member
    lol ! :)
    edited October 2017

I think you mean as useful as a pirate hat, or a plastic, toy construction workers hat, or a pair of ears on a head band. They'e all decorative things for play pretend that go on your head.
    Now excuse me while I stick a plastic tiara on my head, and pretend that I'm as hot as Norman Reedus in a tiara.

Also, Thranduil can't hear you over the awesomeness of his tiara.
    c328a56305bb2d4502fe977ee45e0a0d.jpg

What grinds my gears: people who can't see how awesome tiaras are for EVERYONE!!!

You don't seem to be getting intot the spirit of my thread. It's not a group session, it's a thread to say whatever grinds your gears without being judged and questioned why it grinds our gears. It's a steam valve thread. Have fun.

What grinds my gears about manuals are the intial setup for DVRs are always on page 56 or way over in middle or near end of the booklet, because they want to disccuss types of DVDs a dvr can use first...just tell me how to do the setup first. Then I can worry about if I want to transfer the HDD stuff over to a DVD. It's like tell me what this button is on the remote first!

What grinds my gears about new DVRs are they all require internet at some point. Geez can't we ever get away from the internet ever again? Gears ground to little pieces.

Another gear grinder, when family fusses at me for not visiting but they haven't been to my house in twenty years. :o (Why am I the only one required to travel?) Gears ground to pieces.
    What grinds my gears:
    • People who walk at a snails pace in malls, but don't move to the side to let people past them.
    • People who stop dead in the middle of the walkway in a mall, causing you to nearly crash into them.
    • People who stop in clumps, in the entrance to shops, to have a lengthy chat, and are oblivious to the people trying to get around them.
    • People with prams who put them in the way.
    • People. In public. Srsly, can't they just stay at home?
    • People who use their phone in a cinema.
    You don't seem to be getting intot the spirit of my thread.
    Oh, but I am!
    I'm also a talkative sport.

without being judged and questioned why it grinds our gears.
    latest?cb=20170125061223
    Sometimes questioning can get you to look at the world from a different perspective.

Another gear grinder, when family fusses at me for not visiting but they haven't been to my house in twenty years. :o (Why am I the only one required to travel?) Gears ground to pieces.
    They sound like some of my family.
    I gave up wasting time visiting them, when none of them could be bothered to visit me. They have cars, I don't, so it made little sense that they expected me to catch a bus to visit them, when they could just drive to me in less than half the time.

• dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    People who can't take the half a second required to almost sort of fake being an almost half decent human with manners. Like when you're shopping and you turn around to look at the other side of the aisle and you reach out to grab something and a family just cuts you off and you patiently wait for them and they just don't say thank-you or sorry or excuse me or even attempt to smile or anything. When did manners cease to exist? Why is it too much effort to be polite? It's like no effort at all.

Bonus points if they get mad at you for daring to be in the way, of a public space, even after you moved out of the way for them. (I mean they won't yell at you, but watch the faces of these people sometime like 75% of them will glare at you and if looks could kill woah my problem of not wanting to be around people would be solved because I'd have been dead long before I turned so bitter).

Bonus points if they get mad if you stand up for yourself because you're so over being literally pushed around.

Bonus points if you say "the heck with it. I'm just going to stay right where I am and if they walk into me too bad but I am NOT moving because I just let like 5 other people pass and it's MY turn" and they do and they get mad at you, because the world revolves around them and they never have to wait their turn ever.

Or they're not paying attention and you divert out of the way at the last second but they're not paying attention and are drifting all over the place and drift into your path at the last second and they get mad at you when they smack into you. Like, I tried, bud, look up from your paper when walking around other people next time. Not my fault you weren't paying attention.

Honestly I just agree with Movotti, and people in public (and all the other points). Just ugh.
  • NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    People who walk in groups and block an entire sidewalk
    People who bend the truth
    People who constantly reload in an FPS after firing like 1 bullet. Idk y this gets me but it just does
    People who walk at 1mph
    Flies, obviously
    Finally, people who stop in doorways or entrances
    What it really comes down to, is people who lack spatial awareness really grind my gears in a way that makes me want to stay at home, and avoid people in public.

The weird thing is, I was at a club on the weekend, and everyone was super polite, stepping aside so others could walk through doorways, being cautious on the dance floor, not getting in each others way, avoiding bumping into other people, especially the ones holding drinks. It was quite surreal, for such a crowded place.