Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to increase Sims 3 package limit? [Solved]

GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
I've been reading some threads about Simmer's game crashing at launch because they have too many packages in their Mod folder. I think I am having this issue. I've tried pretty much everything I've looked for bad CC doing 50/50 method, used Dashboard, and also compressed the packages. None seem to work. So I'm guessing I'm having the max limit of packages issue other have had. Is there a mod out there that increases this limit EA put on the game?

Thank you.

Let me add that when I did the 50/50 method both halves worked, which mean that it has to be the limit thing.
PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
Post edited by Goodywood on

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry, but there is no EA imposed limit on package files. The game can become overloaded certainly, that would be more of an individual system related thing, but no two package files are really the same as to the impact they have on performance. Usually the first complaint would be excessively long startup times though, not crashing. Although if you have so much content that you are pushing the game's RAM usage on startup close to the 32-bit limit of ~3.7 GB, then that would not be a good thing and yes the game will likely crash.

Are we talking about many tens of thousands of packages here? And how many GBs? You mentioned compression, but by this did you mean that you have already merged your package based content using either S3PE or CC Magic?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I've never heard of such a limit. How many package files do you have?

Have you tried merging CC? I have ~800 CC package files merged into ~10 package files according to CC type (hair, clothing. accessories, objects, etc). That should help reduce the number of package files in your Mods folder.

How many different ways did you try the 50/50 method? If the crashing is caused by 2 conflicting package files it's possible you separated them in your 50/50 split. I'm just guessing here though.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    I have 1361 packages. I have not tried merging, though I have read about it.

I'm trying the 50/50 again I'm adding little by little. 100 packages at a time. It is tedious but I have to do it again to make sure I double check everything.

So it is my pc? @igazor @TreyNutz
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by compressing packages, if you mean what I think you mean, I've never done that. Was the game crashing before you compressed the packages?

Also, what is the size of your Mods folder?
    I mean I used S3rc

My current size is 486 MB. @TreyNutz
    I've never used that program. My Mods folder has 528 files, and is just over 2 GB. Doesn't seem like a RAM issue.

Perhaps instead of the 50/50 method try moving out package files by type, if you have them sorted that way. Try moving out all mods, then all hair CC, then all clothing CC, etc. If you don't have them organized then ignore this suggestion.
    edited October 2017
    I'll try this. I'm downloading CC Magic right now so I can organize my packages. I use to have it organized but I had to redownload everything and didn't feel like organizing it again. @TreyNutz
    So it seems to be bad CC. :( I now have 200 packages left and I have to figure out which is the bad one. Thank you guys for your help! <3o:)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited October 2017
    Did this start happening recently after you added something? Sort by date.. you might be able to narrow it down faster that way.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Did this start happening recently after you added something? Sort by date.. you might be able to narrow it down faster that way.

Yeah. I did that, but couldn't find it that way. However I did manage to narrow it down to about 6 packages using CCMagic. I just don't know what the packages are because I renamed all packages to shorten the names. I names them all "Custom". So there is "Custom 1" "Custom 2" etc. :D I may be able to find out what it is using Dashboard.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    If you open what is now an unknown package file in S3PE, there are often enough clues in the various resources inside to tell what it was supposed to be. But it sounds like you are on the right track, the amount you were working with doesn't come close to any kind of overload level (for most systems).

Not sure I would recommend the compression thing, but then I've never used that either. My Mods folder hit around 1,300 files and somewhere around 2 GB before I started merging stuff, but that was an attempt to relieve long startup times in my case not to solve any other kinds of issues. Other have gone much, much heavier with their content collections.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    I found the issue.... *facepalm* :s I'm embarrassed to say I've downloaded TS4 CC and put it in TS3 Mod folder. :#:blush:

Thank you guys so much for helping me. @igazor @Simasaurus09 @TreyNutz
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    I found the issue.... *facepalm* :s I'm embarrassed to say I've downloaded TS4 CC and put it in TS3 Mod folder. :#:blush:

Sometimes I almost put sims 3 cc I’m sims 4 but I always catch myself . Glad your problem has been solved !
    Happy Simming!♥
    edited October 2017
    Goodywood wrote: »

Sometimes I almost put sims 3 cc I’m sims 4 but I always catch myself . Glad your problem has been solved !

Yeah. I hate when this happens. @MemoriiValentine :s<3