Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So I have a random question for everyone.

brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
So I was thinking about something and I am just curious. what age do you think someone should by their first car or even better what age did you buy your first car.

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited October 2017
    I think it depends on a number of factors. Mainly where you live and how badly you need a car. In my case, I didn't get my license until I was like.. 20? And 3 years later I still don't have a car - reason being because I live in a large, crowded city and have never needed or wanted one. Everything is close by or easy to get to by foot, train, or bus (and in many cases these options are easier and faster than if I were to use a car).

But I've been to places where it's literally next to impossible to have a social life or get food or even go to work unless you have a car. Being able to drive and having a car is a lot more important in places like that, so for people in areas like that I would say to try and get one or at least start saving up for one as soon as you can drive.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    I think it depends on a number of factors. Mainly where you live and how badly you need a car. In my case, I didn't get my license until I was like.. 20? And 3 years later I still don't have a car - reason being because I live in a large, crowded city and have never needed or wanted one. Everything is close by or easy to get to by foot, train, or bus (and in many cases these options are easier and faster than if I were to use a car).

But I've been to places where it's literally next to impossible to have a social life or get food or even go to work unless you have a car. Being able to drive and having a car is a lot more important in places like that, so for people in areas like that I would say to try and get one or at least start saving up for one as soon as you can drive.

can i be honest to me it seems so complicated. where i live its like idk if you need a car or not. it can depend on your job that is for sure not to mention how far away you live from gorcery stores and how good the public tranist is its a mixed bag where i live. like where i live you can get a car if you are rich but for the most part if you live here you kind are rich. like i said its complicated.
  • MeebxMeebx Posts: 129 Member
    Get a license would be good get around 18-19y as it is now, but buying own car, well when ever have money to buy it? :D
    I was 19 when I got my license, but I never bought a car. I always drove my parent's cars until I moved to big city where I don't need or even want to drive a car :) So it depents!
    ID: Miubeex
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    I guess it depends how much money you or your family has.

I think most kids who have cars in high school either got them from family or had been working for much of their time in HS. By college time, I noticed that a lot of my friends simply were able to purchase their own cars within the first two years of school (if they wanted to)
    Karallyne wrote: »
    I guess it depends how much money you or your family has.

I think most kids who have cars in high school either got them from family or had been working for much of their time in HS. By college time, I noticed that a lot of my friends simply were able to purchase their own cars within the first two years of school (if they wanted to)

yeah i notice that and i honestly am uncertain as how to alot of people can afford cars at such young ages even if they worked. cuz the way i see if they worked they would have to do nothing but work when not in school and actually not spend any money at all on anything in order to have a chance to buy a car buy 18.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Depends. It just has to be up to each individual to decide themselves based on need and ability.

Like, I could have gotten my license and a car about 10 years ago. I have neither. There are times driving would be nice but I don't need to. I live close enough to work and 8 million grocery stores (okay literally 5, soon to be 6) to walk or take a short bus ride. I have basically all other kinds of shopping, dining, schools, and services in walking distance. Basically minus a hospital but I have easy access on the bus to that as well. I like walking it's cheaper than driving and about the only exercise I get (lol). I can't see myself driving often even if I could. Not right now.

I do want to get my license soon, when I'm not drowning under other adult responsibilities (or drowning as much, anyway). A car, we'll see. For now for how much I'd drive I could probably borrow a family vehicle. Save up to get a car I actually want, not just a cheap piece of junk I bought used just to have something.

Also ability to drive. Not just in the stuff that can be taught. Some people just should not drive. For a couple years I was one of them, I was way too paranoid. I would have been overwhelmed and nervous and I would not have been a good driver. I just know it. You have to be able to like make quick decisions and such as a driver, not be crippled by fear or whatever. I know people who could have the confidence but they don't have the skill set needed to drive, they just don't. Sucks for them, but it's true.

There's just a lot of factors and it's really an individual thing. Some people are ready at 16 some aren't ever ready. Some people have a need to drive because they don't have public transportation, don't have a schedule that fits into public transportations hours, or just work or go to school so far away (or shopping and services are so far away) that it's not practical anyway. There is no right or wrong age, just what's best for you.
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited October 2017
    Personally I'm 21 and can't drive and have no plans to learn. For me, the cost of a running and maintaining a car (as well as costs for driving lessons) are far too high for the amount I would use it and it's far cheaper to get public transport. Also, I'm not great under pressure and I can't think of many things more stressful than driving a giant metal machine around busy roads.

That being said, my younger brother is 18 and learning to drive now. He was planning on it anyway I think but now he has a job with a bit of a commute, and also a lot of his friends live in places that public transport isn't very good for. It's one of those things that no one can give you an answer to because it really depends on your individual circumstances and needs.
    samemie wrote: »
    Personally I'm 21 and can't drive and have no plans to learn. For me, the cost of a running and maintaining a car (as well as costs for driving lessons) are far too high for the amount I would use it and it's far cheaper to get public transport. Also, I'm not great under pressure and I can't think of many things more stressful than driving a giant metal machine around busy roads.

That being said, my younger brother is 18 and learning to drive now. He was planning on it anyway I think but now he has a job with a bit of a commute, and also a lot of his friends live in places that public transport isn't very good for. It's one of those things that no one can give you an answer to because it really depends on your individual circumstances and needs.

to be fair that is true but i also feel like there is quite a bit of judgement done towards people if you can and cant drive by a certain age.
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    samemie wrote: »

to be fair that is true but i also feel like there is quite a bit of judgement done towards people if you can and cant drive by a certain age.

Hmm I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a lot but I see what you're saying. But I don't think it really matters what anyone else thinks anyway. Driving is a choice you have to make... I mean, 3 out of 4 of my grandparents never learned to drive because they didn't need to and that's fine. I think learning to drive is something that's expected of you just because it's common but I don't think people would judge you for choosing not to.
  • ResSteelResSteel Posts: 63 Member
    I think 18 and up is a great time to finally buy a car ^-^
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I know a lot of people in their 20's, 30's and 40's who do not drive. Probably about 1/3 of my friends don't drive, maybe closer to half.
    I don't drive. It's the advantage of living in a city with reasonable public transport.

There's also a loophole in the system for getting your licence where I live. If you're younger, you've got to be a supervised learner driver for much longer than if you're older. The process to get your full licence is a lot shorter if you're older. I was gonna do it this year, but I got lazy.

As to when to buy a car. Well, cars are expensive. Not just the cost of buying one, but the upkeep of one. You have to maintain it to keep it road worthy, you have to pay for insurance and registration. Often, if you have an older car, you're going to have to spend a lot more to keep it running. So a cheap to buy car may end up costing far more than a more expensive, newer car.
    If you live at home with your folks, and they have a car you can drive, you might as well save your money for longer and use their car, even if it is only on their terms. The longer you save for, the better the car you can buy.

In short, if you've got good public transport, save your money, hold off on buying a car. IF you live with your parents, and they have a car you can use, get your licence, but don't rush into getting a car.

There's no 'right age'
    It's more a question of do you need your license? Can you afford the expense of a car?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,070 Member
    edited October 2017
    I got my license when I was 18 and also bought a used car that same year. A lot of people my age at that time had already gotten their licenses two or three years prior (the legal age is 15 where I live). Driving wasn't something I really wanted to do that much, but I pretty much was forced into it in my senior year of high school since I needed to drive to and from college the following year.

As far as an appropriate age goes -- it depends on a lot of factors. I'd say that where you live can play a big part in it. Driving is also a big responsibility and you're not only responsible for your own safety, but also have an obligation to be mindful of other drivers as well as pedestrians, bicyclists, and so forth. It's just my personal opinion, but I think 15 or 16 may be too young in some cases.
  • KiaPinkKiaPink Posts: 46 Member
    I am 22, I would love to have a car right now but I'm terrified of driving :disappointed:
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I think it definitely depends on the family's circumstances. My parents got me my first car as soon as I had my license (not a new car by any means, just an old jeep we bought off of my uncle for $500) because both of my parents as well as my older brother had full time jobs and I would be the only person who would be able to pick up my younger siblings from school (living outside of the limits of the school district meant we couldn't have them take the bus). So if it's necessary, then that's one thing. Some kids get a brand new car of their dreams when they just get their permit, which I think is extravagant. People are bound to ding up their first car, so why spend so much on it? I mean, it's definitely up to the family and their situation. Lots of people in this thread are talking about how they've never needed a license or a car because they live in a city, which is something to consider too. People should buy a car when it becomes necessary; age doesn't really matter that much. Definitely consider how much it costs for upkeep and all that stuff. My parents always told me that driving is a privilege, not a right, and I still believe in that. So yeah, buy a car whenever you are financially able/when it becomes necessary for work or school or whatever.