Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theory: Elders Overhaul is next

Comments

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    @Kelleygirl

I have to admit that yes, this is why we have always had less content and activities for elders. THey are basically old, slow adults.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    They could patch in the cane and a rocking chair.. and things like knitting could be added in a hobby related pack. That would give them a couple of things.
  • MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    I'm afraid, it's not gonna happen... I feel like elders are not loved by game developers and many players, since the game looks like adressed to teen/ya fanbase. :/
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I feel like there should be a Mean interaction called "Yell At To Get Off Lawn" if there isn't already one.
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I think its difficult to market an Elders pack without potentially sounding ageist. Bar doing strenuous physical activity there's little that elders can/can't do to their younger counterparts. I did love the previous idea about Physical and mental character traits though.
    I do think some more age appropriate formal wear would go a long way along with the return of canes and grandparent related interactions would be brill....but I don't think that's enough to dedicate a full EP/GP/SP to though....
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Armilus616 wrote: »
    There have been Suggestions that Babies could be taken out of their cribs and carried around, put into Buggys or other baby related stations.
    No response from the Devs that I'm aware of.
    When 9 out of 10 posts on Facebook, Twitter and all the forums around the world were "GIVE US TODDLERS OR WE KILL YOU AND BURN YOUR HOUSES DOWN!!! WE WANT TODDLERS AND WE WANT THEM YESTERDAY!!!", they only responded ever so often with a reply that read like "We cannot talk about possible or probable future content, but we listen to your feedback. This is neither a Yes nor a No about Toddlers ever returning to the Sims. You just have to be patient. We are working on some awesome content. Please have those nice paintings from the latest Stuff Pack."
    It must have been frustrating to them reading through all the hate about the lack of toddlers, knowing that they are working on them and not being able to just write "Calm your plum! Toddlers are in development! plum wait until we finished them!" because they would lose their job and get sued if they did.

For elders, it has to be noted that they can do anything Adults can too, except having kids, as far as I'm aware.
    However, I would still like to have them a bit more fleshed out.
    I would love the Walking Cane to return.
    I would love for Elders to have YA walk styles enabled until the middle of the life stage.
    I would love to have a hunching or limbing walk style for adults and elders.
    I would love Rocking Chairs. Not only for Elders but for young Adults with their Toddlers on their laps too.
    I would love some interactions that enabled roleplaying memory loss or grumpiness. Maybe even something like a midlife crisis for Adults.

I LOVE THIS
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    I'm afraid, it's not gonna happen... I feel like elders are not loved by game developers and many players, since the game looks like adressed to teen/ya fanbase. :/

I think they also wan't elders flash out ever one wants deeper game play
    I feel like there should be a Mean interaction called "Yell At To Get Off Lawn" if there isn't already one.

yes I want this
    chickenow wrote: »
    I think its difficult to market an Elders pack without potentially sounding ageist. Bar doing strenuous physical activity there's little that elders can/can't do to their younger counterparts. I did love the previous idea about Physical and mental character traits though.
    I do think some more age appropriate formal wear would go a long way along with the return of canes and grandparent related interactions would be brill....but I don't think that's enough to dedicate a full EP/GP/SP to though....

Perhaps the Elder overhaul could be a free update then?

Perhaps the Elder overhaul could be a free update then?

Certainly in terms of interactions yeah. Canes and more modest formal wear can go into the most appropriate EP/GP.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    We need more clothes and hair styles geared towards elders in this game. Not all elders walk with a cane so that's kind of an ageist thing to say. There are younger folk that walk with canes so if it's available for any sim fine, but don't force it on elders just because that's all you think elders are.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member

How about a retirement-focused pack, which would make things geared more towards elders, but usable by adults or other sims: a southern vacation world, new hobbies like knitting and other arts and crafts things, retirement-based whims (travelling to the various vacation worlds, learning a new skill), new interactions for grandparents to have with the grandchildren. And of course some nice hair and clothes, maybe stuff that looks a little old-fashioned, yet leisurely. That would give lots of things for elders to do, and the inclusion of a southern vacation world (making it a GP) has been asked for by a lot of people, so it might make the pack more appealing to more people.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    We need more clothes and hair styles geared towards elders in this game. Not all elders walk with a cane so that's kind of an ageist thing to say. There are younger folk that walk with canes so if it's available for any sim fine, but don't force it on elders just because that's all you think elders are.

chikenow never said that all elders had to use canes. Nobody said that.
  • Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    A Witches Pack would encourage players to play with elders more.
    Think of Gandalf and Dumbledore. The one very long beard I am suggesting everywhere over and over again would add to that even more.
    Think of Gandalf and Dumbledore. The one very long beard I am suggesting everywhere over and over again would add to that even more.

But witches don't necessarily have to be elders either.
  • Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member

But witches don't necessarily have to be elders either.

No, and I never said so, but as the stereotype of a Witch or a Wizard is most of the time very elderly, a large number of Sims Players would play as elders.

Completely agree with more clothes geared towards elders....but just to confirm I did not intend to cause any sort of offense or imply that *all* Elder Sims would need to use canes. My intention was to find ways to flesh out the elder stage and add more variety, akin to the purpose of canes in Sims 3 Generations. But that just proves my explanation of how hard it is to produce elder orientated gameplay without causing potential offense.

How about a retirement-focused pack, which would make things geared more towards elders, but usable by adults or other sims: a southern vacation world, new hobbies like knitting and other arts and crafts things, retirement-based whims (travelling to the various vacation worlds, learning a new skill), new interactions for grandparents to have with the grandchildren. And of course some nice hair and clothes, maybe stuff that looks a little old-fashioned, yet leisurely. That would give lots of things for elders to do, and the inclusion of a southern vacation world (making it a GP) has been asked for by a lot of people, so it might make the pack more appealing to more people.

Brilliant idea in theory....but then I roll with the idea of thinking angling it towards hobbies and by this point I've already given the Sims Marketing team reasons to overlook Elders and making an EP/GP which fan may say "should have been in Get Together!" I already think that Parenthood missed the opportunity to include grandparent interactions!

So tell me how this retirement town would work appearance/architecture etc....could someone argue that Windenburg/Brindelton Bay have covered that niche?

Genuinely love your ideas. Just playing devil's advocate! ?
    I mean they could do a Generations Pack, but what's left to put in?
    I mean they could do a Generations Pack, but what's left to put in?

Hmmm bunk beds, playground games, teen pranks, teen parties, camcorders and ermmm.....elder activities? Haha!
    Seriously though you are right about a Generations games having slim picking. But there are definate features which could/should be in a future pack. I could go into ideas for a school EP and a "Relationships" GP but I'll stop before I completely derail this thread away from Elders! :D
    I posted this idea in a Generations thread, but maybe Elder Sims could tell the young'uns a Family Story, about how they grew up.

some people use canes for fashion it would go really well with rich sims or vampires
    or mean sims that want to go around hitting people
  • beckyZOOMbeckyZOOM Posts: 56 Member
    The sims retirement would be cool. I love grandma decor so that would be nice, maybe an option to build a community centre where they have bingo or something. Grandmas recipes etc but yeh they won't ever focus on the elderly which makes me feel sad?
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    I think it needs to happen. If for no other reason that a lot of real families have older people in them, and empathy towards older people is never a bad thing to promote in the game. It seems a shame that they become less 'useful' to players once they become old. I think there are tons of stories that would be made interesting by more stuff for old people. I really want my elders to have a good life as well as my younger sims. We all get old...so I have said it before but I genuinely would love an elders pack :)
  • woohootattoowoohootattoo Posts: 25 Member
    My life would be complete with another "Generations" type pack. Something for the teens, and the elderly! Oh man, if we could have bingo tournaments and lawn bowls, and the ability to "Bore Sims with Life Story" I would cry with laughter. Could you imagine the new traits too; "Crazy Old Person" and even "Old Soul" for those sims who are more classic.

Im keen!
    Hi Guys, it's Alex here -- The Girl with the Woohoo Tattoo

(Rebranded to TheLadyStardust, but it's still me!!)