Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theory: Elders Overhaul is next

Comments

• Options
    sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    edited October 2017
    @HarlowandMe and @Triplis

I love your ideas! There should definitely be consequences for how Sims live their lives during the other life stages. Retirement plans and writing wills would also enhance game play so much. I’d totally buy an Elders GP.

@AlbaWaterhouse

I understand your point. Right now, elders are pretty much just waiting for Grim to show up. However, I believe that if the elder life stage was more meaningful in game, it wouldn’t be as unpopular as it is right now.
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    I'll just post the fragments of this here for discussion/suggestion. This was an idea I had about giving adults a special version of character values that are locked in when they reach the Elder lifestage. I never finished, but here was the rough couple of writeups I'd made. (Probably worth noting, I was envisioning this as a GP... I don't think it'd fit in SP size pack.)

The core of this concept is that it'd not only give you something more distinctive to play with when you reach Elder, it'd give the decisions you make in the adult stages more meaning.

Character Values for Adults

Physical: If this is past a certain threshold when your sim ages up to Elder, they won't have the bent over walkstyle and won't be able to die from death by exhaustion, or get exhausted in the same way that most Elder sims do. On the other end, sims who age up to Elder with this super low will get exhausted more quickly and be more likely to die from death by exhaustion.

Increased by: Doing any kind of activity categorized as a workout. Having a higher fitness skill will add a multiplier, making it increase faster.

Decreased by: Overeating, oversleeping. Weight gain (past a certain threshold).

Mental: Introduces the potential for memory issues. With low Mental Trait, Elders might have moments of Dazed, where they cancel out of a conversation and look around in confusion. Mental skills take longer to build than normal. They might Wander (similar to the toddler interaction). With high Mental Trait, Elders' Mental skills level faster, Parenting will level faster and be more effective, Fun Need will decay more slowly.

Wisdom: Primarily increased by mentoring other sims and by reaching level 10 in a skill. Mentoring becomes stronger.

I love this idea!!!
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    > @Terra said:
    > Hear, hear! I really want more content for Elders. I made this thread awhile back about how a good way to distinguish Elder gameplay would be to add Elder-only traits. If they were reward traits the devs wouldn't even have to change the CAS UI to give Elders an extra slot. Bonus points if they used the data the game collects about your Sim's history of emotional states to influence which traits they could purchase once they are over the hill.
    >
    > @ChadSims2 - Where did Graham say we will never get an Elder-focused stuff pack?

That elder trait system based on predominant emotional states sounds amazing! I want that in my game!
    Here

This has annoyed me, we have 3 stuff packs that focus on gardens\backyards but they cant make an elder stuff pack? Why? Could one of those unnecessary garden packs not have been sacrificed for a much needed elders pack.

I don't find any of those packs "unnecessary". In fact, I use items from them in every single build.
    I just don't think they imagine many people would be interested in a SP dedicated solely to elders. I am pretty sure is the least played life stage, so they might think it won't be profitable enough.

If thats the case then thats understandable, its a shame though.
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    It is my opinion that the lack of interest in an elders pack is a direct reflection of how society views that generation. Lack of respect for the wisdom of the aged, younger people thinking the world is for them, and all that; I personally would be interested in a pack such as that because I have several elders in my rotation, grandparents and such. If not a whole pack, at least some things for them in an upcoming pack would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Kelleygirl wrote: »
    It is my opinion that the lack of interest in an elders pack is a direct reflection of how society views that generation. Lack of respect for the wisdom of the aged, younger people thinking the world is for them, and all that; I personally would be interested in a pack such as that because I have several elders in my rotation, grandparents and such. If not a whole pack, at least some things for them in an upcoming pack would be greatly appreciated.

I couldn’t agree more! I recently edited a book on culturally marginalized groups, including seniors. It was such an eye opener. The Sims is such an inclusive series; I wish it would make this life stage (which hopefully all of us will eventually experience) more meaningful!
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited October 2017
    It is my opinion that the lack of interest in an elders pack is a direct reflection of how society views that generation. Lack of respect for the wisdom of the aged, younger people thinking the world is for them, and all that;

I would agree that this is part of the problem. And I can (sort of) understand why. I think that, for many players, there is a strong aspirational element to playing the sims, whereas old age is not exactly an aspiration for most people -- it's merely preferable to the alternative :). But this attitude can so easily become a self-fulfilling prophesy. The less content there is for elders in the game, the less fun they will be to play with, the less players will want to play with them, the lower the demand for new and better content for this life stage, the less fun it will be, and so it will go on -- in perpetuity.

So, much as I would like to see it happen, I don't have a great deal of optimism that we will see an awful lot of new content for elders in the game; not unless players are willing to make the kind of fuss that got us swimming pools and toddlers.
  • Options
    FKM100 wrote: »
    It is my opinion that the lack of interest in an elders pack is a direct reflection of how society views that generation. Lack of respect for the wisdom of the aged, younger people thinking the world is for them, and all that;

I would agree that this is part of the problem. And I can (sort of) understand why. I think that, for many players, there is a strong aspirational element to playing the sims, whereas old age is not exactly an aspiration for most people -- it's merely preferable to the alternative :). But this attitude can so easily become a self-fulfilling prophesy. The less content there is for elders in the game, the less fun they will be to play with, the less players will want to play with them, the lower the demand for new and better content for this life stage, the less fun it will be, and so it will go on -- in perpetuity.

So, much as I would like to see it happen, I don't have a great deal of optimism that we will see an awful lot of new content for elders in the game; not unless players are willing to make the kind of fuss that got us swimming pools and toddlers.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s a sort of vicious cycle of less demand - less content - less fun.

I also don’t think that the developers will do anything about this. If there’s very little demand, it simply doesn’t make sense. I get that.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t on the forums when the gender fluidity patch dropped - did it come as a complete surprise or were people discussing and demanding more inclusivity?

If the gender fluidity patch came as a surprise, then who knows what the developers will or won’t do! Maybe they’ll decide that elder Sims do deserve a bit of attention and patch in or create a pack with something exclusive for that life stage.

I don’t actually believe they will do so but I like to hope for things even if it’s very unlikely they’ll come true.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @sundaysimmer, you ask an interesting question about the gender fluidity patch. I wouldn't say that the patch was a total surprise -- I certainly recall seeing demands for greater gender diversity on this forum, although the level of demand was nowhere near on a par with the demand for toddlers! However, I cannot say how much pressure might have been brought to bear through other channels, or the extent to which such pressures were at work within EA/Maxis itself.

Pink News quotes Maxis as explaining the motivation behind the patch as follows:

“The Sims is made by a diverse team (my emphasis) for a diverse audience, and it’s really important to us that players are able to be creative and express themselves through our games.
    “We want to make sure players can create characters they can identify with or relate to through powerful tools that give them influence over a Sims gender, age, ethnicity, body type and more.”

(see: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/06/08/feature-how-the-sims-just-became-the-most-radical-lgbt-friendly-game-of-all-time/)

This would suggest that at least some of the pressure came from within the development team itself -- which is fine. Sadly, though, while I am quite happy to believe in the team's diversity in terms of ethnicity, gender and body type, I don't for one moment believe that any team member is over 65 and I would be greatly surprised if any of them are even close to 60! I suspect that the word 'age' was just thrown in there for the sake of completeness and because it seemed like the right thing to say. So it is unlikely that there will be much pressure -- either from within or from without -- for anything to change very much as far as elders are concerned.

I do think, though, that the way in which elders are portrayed in the game is actually very insensitive and politically incorrect; enough so that EA should care, even if it doesn't already. I could go on a rant, but it wouldn't help anything.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Elders have never really been specifically catered to an any of the iterations, but I'm totally in favour of it. In fact, I'm in favour of ALL life stages being fully fleshed out [from the beginning].
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited October 2017
    I wouldn't mind if more stuff for elders came with a freebie Patch and the graveyard that everybody seems to want. Then we could build nursing homes etc. and see them off with a grand funeral when they eventually die off of old age. (seeing that SimGuruGraham doesn't think a "Pack" likely that is). They don't get the respect that grandmas and grandpas deserve!

Then Maxis could claim that you could "Support your Sims from the cradle to the Grave!" o:)
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    @HarlowandMe and @Triplis

I love your ideas! There should definitely be consequences for how Sims live their lives during the other life stages. Retirement plans and writing wills would also enhance game play so much. I’d totally buy an Elders GP.

@AlbaWaterhouse

I understand your point. Right now, elders are pretty much just waiting for Grim to show up. However, I believe that if the elder life stage was more meaningful in game, it wouldn’t be as unpopular as it is right now.

I think so to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ValxoValxo Posts: 56 Member
    If an elder's pack came out, I think it would be so much fun if there was an aspiration where they can complete a BUCKET LIST! Maybe the bucket list aspiration would include skills to develop, travelling to destinations, activities (skydiving, hot air balloon ride, bungee jumping?), achievements in different areas (social, love life, family, career, finance, health), etc. Honestly, I would love for that aspiration to be developed and used by sims of all ages!
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Valxo wrote: »
    If an elder's pack came out, I think it would be so much fun if there was an aspiration where they can complete a BUCKET LIST! Maybe the bucket list aspiration would include skills to develop, travelling to destinations, activities (skydiving, hot air balloon ride, bungee jumping?), achievements in different areas (social, love life, family, career, finance, health), etc. Honestly, I would love for that aspiration to be developed and used by sims of all ages!

cool idea
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    @sundaysimmer, you ask an interesting question about the gender fluidity patch. I wouldn't say that the patch was a total surprise -- I certainly recall seeing demands for greater gender diversity on this forum, although the level of demand was nowhere near on a par with the demand for toddlers! However, I cannot say how much pressure might have been brought to bear through other channels, or the extent to which such pressures were at work within EA/Maxis itself.

Pink News quotes Maxis as explaining the motivation behind the patch as follows:

“The Sims is made by a diverse team (my emphasis) for a diverse audience, and it’s really important to us that players are able to be creative and express themselves through our games.
    “We want to make sure players can create characters they can identify with or relate to through powerful tools that give them influence over a Sims gender, age, ethnicity, body type and more.”

(see: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/06/08/feature-how-the-sims-just-became-the-most-radical-lgbt-friendly-game-of-all-time/)

This would suggest that at least some of the pressure came from within the development team itself -- which is fine. Sadly, though, while I am quite happy to believe in the team's diversity in terms of ethnicity, gender and body type, I don't for one moment believe that any team member is over 65 and I would be greatly surprised if any of them are even close to 60! I suspect that the word 'age' was just thrown in there for the sake of completeness and because it seemed like the right thing to say. So it is unlikely that there will be much pressure -- either from within or from without -- for anything to change very much as far as elders are concerned.

I do think, though, that the way in which elders are portrayed in the game is actually very insensitive and politically incorrect; enough so that EA should care, even if it doesn't already. I could go on a rant, but it wouldn't help anything.

Thank you! That’s very interesting. I agree with you that there probably aren’t any developers on the team that would be considered elders. So the pressure from the fan base would probably need to be much stronger to really achieve anything.

I’m wondering, though - don’t players who play with aging on get attached to their Sims and want something more for them as elders? I certainly do! There’s one Sim in particular whom I wouldn’t just want to be an easily exhausted grandma but the kick-🐸🐸🐸🐸 lady that she is because she actually made it to the top of the criminal career and maxed out her fitness skill by boxing. I feel so restricted in telling her story. She deserves more.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I'd like more content for elders but I agree a SP would probably not be enough for me, because I'm not interested in highly stereotyped elders. My elders are Sims with a little more free time, more experiences, more memories, decades of life behind them that shape who they are, etc. That's the sort of thing I'd like to see more for my elders, not bingos or canes.
  • Options
    ChelsmazingChelsmazing Posts: 60 Member
    I think I've only play an elder a handful of times since the game released, but even with that I would still jump on a pack (stuff, game, or expansion) that gave elders just about any of the great ideas I've read here. Personally, if they did start giving elders more attention and things to look forward to I'd probably start using them in my games more, it feels like I just get slightly worn out with the young adult and adult actions that I simply never make it to that phase in life before I just move on to the next family. I would definitely love to see the elders get some well needed attention!
    Spread love, not hate.
    The world is dark enough as it is.
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    @Chelsmazing Agreed, they are basically just adults who can't do as much anymore. If they had some actually interesting content to look forward to I wouldn't be as hesitant to age my Sims up anymore.
  • Options
    A good start would be to make them look a bit more attractive and appealing. The elders in the game right now look so miserable and decrepit, with that sluggish walk-style, constant kvetching and that annoying slipped disk animation. Not all elders are equally old. Nor are they necessarily sluggish and decrepit. "Old age" can mean anything from a relatively fit and sprightly 60 to anywhere around 100 - a life stage spanning around 40 years! Why not break elders down into two stages, as was done with toddlers? This wouldn't require any new animations, but just allowing younger elders to retain the normal adult walk-style and reduce the frequency of the slipped disk animation. And, for heavens sake, please could we have some clothes for our elders that will make them look smart without looking like mutton dressed as lamb!
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @FKM100 - I believe that if you play with aging on Long, your Elders will be divided into two stages visually. No gameplay difference I think though.
  • Options
    That's interesting - I didn't know that, because I play with aging off. Even so, I don't think that the normal walk-style is available for younger elders. It wasn't available for any of the elders I created in CAS.
  • Options
    umbralshadowsumbralshadows Posts: 212 Member
    id be intrested in a elders pack
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    lookin for lets players an reviewers for tha short/demo version a my game
    download here
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    That's interesting - I didn't know that, because I play with aging off. Even so, I don't think that the normal walk-style is available for younger elders. It wasn't available for any of the elders I created in CAS.

No, sadly they're all stuck with the Elder walkstyle.
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Honestly.. I don't think they'll tweak the elders any further.. Don't have an explanation for it, but it's just a feeling
  • Options
    dogboy678dogboy678 Posts: 200 Member
    Are you sure babies can’t be fixed. I think they are very much in need of a complete,overhaul with new animations new cribs not be tied to it anymore and learning to crawl This I think needs to be added.
  • Options
    Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    There have been Suggestions that Babies could be taken out of their cribs and carried around, put into Buggys or other baby related stations.
    No response from the Devs that I'm aware of.
    When 9 out of 10 posts on Facebook, Twitter and all the forums around the world were "GIVE US TODDLERS OR WE KILL YOU AND BURN YOUR HOUSES DOWN!!! WE WANT TODDLERS AND WE WANT THEM YESTERDAY!!!", they only responded ever so often with a reply that read like "We cannot talk about possible or probable future content, but we listen to your feedback. This is neither a Yes nor a No about Toddlers ever returning to the Sims. You just have to be patient. We are working on some awesome content. Please have those nice paintings from the latest Stuff Pack."
    It must have been frustrating to them reading through all the hate about the lack of toddlers, knowing that they are working on them and not being able to just write "Calm your 🐸🐸🐸🐸! Toddlers are in development! 🐸🐸🐸🐸 wait until we finished them!" because they would lose their job and get sued if they did.

For elders, it has to be noted that they can do anything Adults can too, except having kids, as far as I'm aware.
    However, I would still like to have them a bit more fleshed out.
    I would love the Walking Cane to return.
    I would love for Elders to have YA walk styles enabled until the middle of the life stage.
    I would love to have a hunching or limbing walk style for adults and elders.
    I would love Rocking Chairs. Not only for Elders but for young Adults with their Toddlers on their laps too.
    I would love some interactions that enabled roleplaying memory loss or grumpiness. Maybe even something like a midlife crisis for Adults.