Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teenagers are just unplayable.

Comments

• brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    not really? ? they felt more like barely step up from children ta me until they got generations expasion wich had more teen things ta do. .. or may be yer just not rememberin tha vanilla teens that well.. ..

i never felt that way? they felt perfect to me. okay well not perfect but they were better teens then they were here in the sims 4.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I think teens are immensely better with Parenthood. The mood swings really do make them more interesting. I have 4 teens in my household, and almost every other day they're having mood swings. And they most certaninly DO make a difference. They throw angry tantrums, cry, and get in fights fairly frequently. I've had one of my teen sims get in fights with his mother, grandfather and his siblings lol. I think a lot of the interactions added with Parenthood that are specific to teens are really great too. Throwing shade, shoving, arguing about which is sibling is better are all great game interactions.
    Some of you are acting like teens are still boring, but I completely disagree. Yes, it would be nice if there were things like prom, learning to drive, and other teenage specific activities, but I think Parenthood added a great framework to make their lifestage more interesting. And I think they will add more in the future.
    Teens are still sadly lacking. I’m reading all the replies about teens looking like adults and I’m surprised. I live near a local primary school and high school, I see children every day walking to and from school while I’m out with my dogs and I’m always surprised at how short they are. I’m not particularly tall but there is no way I would mistake the high school kids for adults. Obviously they are exceptions to the rule. But in the sims 4 all the teens look like young adults. Parenthood didn’t change that aspect.

I agree with the original post, teens are diabolical in this game. Even with Parenthood. The only thing that gives them is a silly walk, the odd phase that doesn’t mean much. (My teen had a phase where she didn’t want to be near her family; what did she do when left to her own devices? Hung out with her family! She was happy l. Of course.

Compare that to my teens in the sims 3. My teen is having a mood swing. Within minutes of that she rolled a wish to beat someone up, to play a prank and to skip school. Left to her own devices she went up to her Mum and picked a fight with her. Her mood swing went into the next sim day and during that time my sim acted exactly as a teenage girl would. The day after she was back to her normal self but her relationship with her Mum has taken a huge hit.

Even in the sims 2 my teens act like teens! They get appropriate wants relevant to a teen. I think a lot of the problem is sims 4 teens get the same whims adults do. Even children do and that’s quite frankly weird. Teenage sims shouldn’t be getting whims to buy dishwashers! That is part of the problem. Teens don’t act like teens.

thank you! they both do not act or look like teens even their phases are weird. like for kids its not as bad. do i think kids could use imporvments for sure. but at least kids are playable compared to teenagers which again feel like young adults who have to go school and work part time jobs. do i think they have improved upon a few things from the sims 3 at least vanilla wow sim wise just a bit. but so far not much as been done to improve teens that much. even the advice stuff feels a bit wired and alkward.
    bixters wrote: »
    I think teens are immensely better with Parenthood. The mood swings really do make them more interesting. I have 4 teens in my household, and almost every other day they're having mood swings. And they most certaninly DO make a difference. They throw angry tantrums, cry, and get in fights fairly frequently. I've had one of my teen sims get in fights with his mother, grandfather and his siblings lol. I think a lot of the interactions added with Parenthood that are specific to teens are really great too. Throwing shade, shoving, arguing about which is sibling is better are all great game interactions.
    Some of you are acting like teens are still boring, but I completely disagree. Yes, it would be nice if there were things like prom, learning to drive, and other teenage specific activities, but I think Parenthood added a great framework to make their lifestage more interesting. And I think they will add more in the future.

no teenagers are boring. also for the record i actually have to try to do some of the stuff you are talking about. but honestly parenthood in my opinion kind of makes teens wireder and at times more uncomfortable and unrealastic to play. for example if your parent asks them about their phase. the teens say oh just give me lots of hugs and help me with my homework and that will make me feel all better. seriously what kind of teenager talks like that -_-
  • CybrdroydCybrdroyd Posts: 44 Member
    I like the chaos of things not going exactly as you plan them to, sometimes teenagers just do what they want and neither you, nor the in game sim parents can control them. This game would get boring if everything worked out the way I planned it. The fun is allowing the chaos to be in control a little bit.
    Played Sims since the original. I can't think of any other game that has so thoroughly captivated my attention.
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    no teenagers are boring. also for the record i actually have to try to do some of the stuff you are talking about. but honestly parenthood in my opinion kind of makes teens wireder and at times more uncomfortable and unrealastic to play. for example if your parent asks them about their phase. the teens say oh just give me lots of hugs and help me with my homework and that will make me feel all better. seriously what kind of teenager talks like that -_-

Well, my teens aren't boring, the phases and mood swings add a lot of fun gameplay. A lot of people have said how much Parenthood improved their games, and especially teens. I can see how people complain about the height of teens and maybe a lack of teen specific social functions, but I don't understand what people are complaining about teens being "boring."
    Cybrdroyd wrote: »
    I like the chaos of things not going exactly as you plan them to, sometimes teenagers just do what they want and neither you, nor the in game sim parents can control them. This game would get boring if everything worked out the way I planned it. The fun is allowing the chaos to be in control a little bit.

for me its ironic but i actually have to take control in order to cause chaos.

Well, my teens aren't boring, the phases and mood swings add a lot of fun gameplay. A lot of people have said how much Parenthood improved their games, and especially teens. I can see how people complain about the height of teens and maybe a lack of teen specific social functions, but I don't understand what people are complaining about teens being "boring."

again when you have a parent ask kids about their phases and the teen says "oh just give me lots of hugs and help me with my homework and i will feel all better." that is not how teenagers should act when on a phase maybe kids might but how is that not a boring response from teens.
    again when you have a parent ask kids about their phases and the teen says "oh just give me lots of hugs and help me with my homework and i will feel all better." that is not how teenagers should act when on a phase maybe kids might but how is that not a boring response from teens.

I think the example you gave is the game trying to tell you, as the player, what to do when a teen has a phase. It's not supposed to be a realistic reply from a teenager. If the teen just replied "Ugh, shut up, go away!" that might be more realistic, but some players might not understand how to help with their phase. I also don't think it's entirely unrealistic response, some teenagers have better relationships with their parents and might be more open with them. I don't think your example really is good evidence that teens are "boring."

I think the example you gave is the game trying to tell you, as the player, what to do when a teen has a phase. It's not supposed to be a realistic reply from a teenager. If the teen just replied "Ugh, shut up, go away!" that might be more realistic, but some players might not understand how to help with their phase. I also don't think it's entirely unrealistic response, some teenagers have better relationships with their parents and might be more open with them. I don't think your example really is good evidence that teens are "boring."

but your not supposed to understand how to help teenagers with their phase. teens dont understand how to help themselves with it! that is the point of a phase! the fact that you can actually help teenagers with their phase is actually boring as well if you know exactly what to do to make them feel better

alright you bring up a good point so it should be maybe random or based on how strong the phase is and maybe even the realtionship with the parent depending on the response you get. again how is being told how to fix the phase not broing it would be more interesting in trying to figure it out for yourself or even better in some cases not having a way to fix it.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I think playing teens is better now with parenthood but since they have a toddler pack why not a separate pack for other stages i e i wish there was more for elders to do and more appropriate clothing for them. So come on ea flesh out all the stages like you have toddlers and young adults
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    I can only play the teenagers if I pretend that they are 17 or 18. I wish we could also get a younger teen stage, kind of like how we have young adult and adult.

No need to pretend....the teens in this game are intended to be 16-18...they can work and hold jobs.
    I live near a local primary school and high school, I see children every day walking to and from school while I’m out with my dogs and I’m always surprised at how short they are. I’m not particularly tall but there is no way I would mistake the high school kids for adults. Obviously they are exceptions to the rule.

In pretty much every family I know that has a 13-15 year old, the teenager is taller than one or both parents. Over the last several decades, the humans continue to grow taller and taller, on average.
    JimG72 wrote: »
    I can only play the teenagers if I pretend that they are 17 or 18. I wish we could also get a younger teen stage, kind of like how we have young adult and adult.

No need to pretend....the teens in this game are intended to be 16-18...they can work and hold jobs.
    I live near a local primary school and high school, I see children every day walking to and from school while I’m out with my dogs and I’m always surprised at how short they are. I’m not particularly tall but there is no way I would mistake the high school kids for adults. Obviously they are exceptions to the rule.

In pretty much every family I know that has a 13-15 year old, the teenager is taller than one or both parents. Over the last several decades, the humans continue to grow taller and taller, on average.

the teens are bordlerline 17 year old and 18 year olds its just alkward to see them as tall as young adults when jumping from kid to teenager. there could be something in between and should be.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I have mods in my game, so I'm perfectly fine with the teens, as my mods allow for more options and possible stories. I miss the TS3 teens, because I liked that they would go to prom, graduation, learn to drive, and had a curfew. All those things were just fun to play. I really loved when parents would take a vacation and teens could throw wild house parties that might get broken up by the cops. Teens were just more fun in TS3. Maybe we'll get a surprise in the new year and get some new teen gameplay, I won't hold my breath, but I do hope something is in the works.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    I have mods in my game, so I'm perfectly fine with the teens, as my mods allow for more options and possible stories. I miss the TS3 teens, because I liked that they would go to prom, graduation, learn to drive, and had a curfew. All those things were just fun to play. I really loved when parents would take a vacation and teens could throw wild house parties that might get broken up by the cops. Teens were just more fun in TS3. Maybe we'll get a surprise in the new year and get some new teen gameplay, I won't hold my breath, but I do hope something is in the works.

Before generations ep what actions separated teens from YA? According to EA and even ppl on the forums at the time, generations was not well received. Now all I hear is "we need a generations pack". The things ppl are praising weren't in TS3 initially either, which made teen sims pretty boring prior to. Parenthood was a good first start, I believe a generations EP needs to happen.
  • a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Teens bore me so much :( At least kids have their own set of aspirations and some objects only they can use, teens have nothing specific to them. And I agree, the height is annoying - in TS3, if I tried to hook a teen sim up with someone for prom, it was easy to tell who were teens vs adults just by looking at them. Now I can't tell so if I want my teen to get a boyfriend/girlfriend, I have to like look and try and figure it out. Which isn't the end of the world by any means, but it would just be nice if they could be a little more easy to distinguish from the adults. The only thing that gives me hope is that maybe they did it that way so they could patch in a pre-teen age or something. Which, tbh, I don't even want....I've never really cared about the pre-teen stage, but if it's more detailed with more to do like toddlers were, I'd be ok with it and it could at least justify the fact that teens look much more adult-ish than teen-ish.
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    a_niles06 wrote: »
    Teens bore me so much :( At least kids have their own set of aspirations and some objects only they can use, teens have nothing specific to them. And I agree, the height is annoying - in TS3, if I tried to hook a teen sim up with someone for prom, it was easy to tell who were teens vs adults just by looking at them. Now I can't tell so if I want my teen to get a boyfriend/girlfriend, I have to like look and try and figure it out. Which isn't the end of the world by any means, but it would just be nice if they could be a little more easy to distinguish from the adults. The only thing that gives me hope is that maybe they did it that way so they could patch in a pre-teen age or something. Which, tbh, I don't even want....I've never really cared about the pre-teen stage, but if it's more detailed with more to do like toddlers were, I'd be ok with it and it could at least justify the fact that teens look much more adult-ish than teen-ish.

Try and figure it out? When you hover over the sim it states their age group. I 100% agree with you that teens need their OWN. Own objects, own clothes, own activities. A generations EP is needed. Parenthood didn't go far enough. I hope that in the next iteration of the game the developers realize little things matter. Each age group needs their own. I've found how to play the teens in TS4 satisfactorily for me. I hope others find a way for them
  • a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    a_niles06 wrote: »

Try and figure it out? When you hover over the sim it states their age group. I 100% agree with you that teens need their OWN. Own objects, own clothes, own activities. A generations EP is needed. Parenthood didn't go far enough. I hope that in the next iteration of the game the developers realize little things matter. Each age group needs their own. I've found how to play the teens in TS4 satisfactorily for me. I hope others find a way for them

Does it do that immediately though?? I was thinking it only did that after you got to know them better but I'll admit I could be 100% wrong!! I honestly have yet to play a sim from birth to death and part of the reason is because the teen stage just kills it and puts such a halt to my gameplay because there just isn't much to do. I've started and restarted legacies so many times cause I just get bored and give up... :#
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Generations was one of my favorite Sims 3 expansions and was the expansion that made me go back to the sims 3. Before this expansion I got pretty bored fast. The open world was nice but I hated how everything was closed off in the base game except for the gym, library, and museum. Sims couldn't swim in the ocean then and there really wasn't a whole lot you could do in the base game. The sims 3 got so much better as the expansions came out. My top favorites were generations, seasons, and it's a tough choice between university and ambitions. I really enjoyed island paradise too. The Sims 4, on the other hand, I love playing but again there isn't a lot of sim interactions and I miss the little things from the sims 2. Like kids jumping on beds, playing tag, and so many other things that I wish would return. In the sims 2 my sims felt like they were a family. In the sims 3 before expansions, it just felt like a bunch of sims that lived together and spent most of their time going places around town and few interactions with their family members. The sims for base game felt even more limited with toddlers not even being in the family and children feeling like little adults. I got bored pretty fast but held out because with expansions the game could become better. The game has improved especially with parenthood but there are still so many features missing, but unlike the other two Sims games, this one still has more content coming out. So maybe they will fix the teen problem and add more content for specifically for them and some teen only interactions.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2017
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    Goth583 wrote: »

Before generations ep what actions separated teens from YA? According to EA and even ppl on the forums at the time, generations was not well received. Now all I hear is "we need a generations pack". The things ppl are praising weren't in TS3 initially either, which made teen sims pretty boring prior to. Parenthood was a good first start, I believe a generations EP needs to happen.

I always had the impression Generations wasn't "well received" mostly because people collectively decided that things it brought should have been in the base game, as they're very regular life stuff everyone experiences. There was a lot of criticism from people who always demand base game to have every possible feature imaginable. I see people saying that celebrity system should be in the base, lol. Go figure. Those people were just very loud. When you go on metacritic, etc. negative reviews are mostly from people who don't enjoy family play in the first place so I have no idea what they were expecting.

All in all, generations was not well received because people who don't play families behaved like spoiled children and got offended that a certain play style got its own EP and they somehow saw it as things being taken away from them (because you know, it could have been something they would enjoy)
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member

About the only way one can look at it. I play out the toddler and childhood phases and say towards the end of childhood, well, time for them to turn 17-18 and it works ok.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    I think playing teens is better now with parenthood but since they have a toddler pack why not a separate pack for other stages i e i wish there was more for elders to do and more appropriate clothing for them. So come on ea flesh out all the stages like you have toddlers and young adults
    TS2 had Teen Style Stuff which was pretty good (albeit a bit stereotypical with the goths, surfer boys and girly girls, but it was nice) though this time around teens share their clothing with adults and elders so it's not going to be just for teens at the end of the day...

I somehow doubt they'd make a whole pack for elders, they tend to neglect them (probably because they aren't popular with the 'teen girls' demographic).
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The short teen is a cartoon trope and has no bearing IRL.
    It seems a lot of simmers confuse preteen and teen. Most boys have finished growing height wise about 15. So it's really more unrealistic that you have short children than tall teenagers.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Teenage sims shouldn’t be getting whims to buy dishwashers!

Unless they live in a home where there is no dishwasher, forcing them to have to wash the dishes by hand every night. I was in this situation as a teenager, and if I was a sim, that whim would keep rolling and never go away!

I think that parenthood has added some good features to enhance Teen sims, and I look forward to eventually getting that GP. I do wish that they would add some updates to Teens and Children in a patch instead of another expansion, though. We got Toddlers for free and, even though they were pretty late, they are very fun and well fleshed-out, an ENORMOUS improvement over TS2's Toddlers.

I don't mind the height thing, since not all real life teens are shorter than adults. Depending on genetics, age, whether they're a late bloomer or an early bloomer, or just plain standing next to a particularly petite adult, real life teens can be basically anywhere in the height spectrum. My older brother had always been very tall (How tall? When he was a newborn, he had to wear clothes made for 1-year-olds. He wasn't fat...just big.) and by the time he was 15, he was already taller than my mom (who is average height for a grown woman, about 5 foot 6). Barring the addition of height and facial maturity sliders for sims, I don't think that the teen appearance thing will ever enter a realm that is satisfactory to all players and their experiences, perceptions, and ideals. Behavior is relatively easy to tweak, but we'll probably have to wait until The Sims 7 for those height and facial maturity sliders, folks.

In the mean time, I'm sorry that the cosmetic issues and comparatively simplistic Teen gameplay is turning so many people off from family play (Though, I did say over a year ago that adding Toddlers wasn't going to make family play magically perfect...). I've actually been having more fun than ever with family play in TS4 because so many of the silly restrictions from TS2 were lifted from Toddlers, Children, and Teens in this game, but I do hope that things do get better for the people who aren't having as much fun as I am.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I guess I don't recognize a lot of the issues but then I wasn't... that annoying. Mom had far much trouble with me when I was 8 than when I was 16. I never got all moody and dark, I (almost) never cursed at my parents or threw tantrums or... as I said I did that before my teens. I also had... easier hobbies. If I got a choice between sitting at home playing computer games (On my Commodore 64 / Amiga 500 depending on what year we are talking about) and go out and drink illegal booze... I picked the computer every time.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek