Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Evil Sims Expressing Compassion

Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
The traits turned into a big disappointment, I agree. And I agree the moodlets interfere with our Sims' traits all too often. But I haven't noticed if toddlers given the evil trait, then raised to be a compassionate Sim, is struggling with being an evil Sim once that toddler becomes an adult. That scenario would make sense to me. An evil Sim that was raised to be compassionate by well-meaning parents, would find themselves regretting his/her evil actions. Could that be what some of you are experiencing? Or is this compassion they feel after doing something evil always there if you only play young adults? I have not played much in the last couple of months, so I haven't had the time to create an evil toddler and raise it to adulthood in order to test this theory.

I am wondering if the Parenthood Game Pack has somehow made good on the idea that parenting has a lasting affect on our Sims kids. Because my experience has been that traits have very little impact on anything our Sims do beyond being pushed aside by moodlets. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    An evil sim would not regret evil actions since he is evil.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    But I haven't noticed if toddlers given the evil trait, then raised to be a compassionate Sim, is struggling with being an evil Sim once that toddler becomes an adult.....I have not played much in the last couple of months, so I haven't had the time to create an evil toddler and raise it to adulthood in order to test this theory.

Toddlers can't have the evil trait. Toddlers have their own traits different from the other life states.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    Also, evil can be compassionate, despite what so many people everywhere (not just sims players) seem to think. Yes, this specifically is about the sims, but wanted to get that out there. I have an evil, family-oriented supervillain sim. He dotes over his kids (the teen is also evil, the child is a kleptomaniac) when not trying to take over the world. They're even in a club together, evil, inc (a family corporation!) for if we ever get real secret bases in a potential super powers pack.

Also, in sims medieval, players constantly got upset that evil sims could pick the friendly trait while at the same time good sims could pick the cruel trait. Shocker, people work like that. Even in these silly little games.

However, what I can tell you from my experience is that evil sims will troll the forums constantly, which makes manners plummet more than the constant belching from her slob trait does... And have heard that adults with the good manners and compassionate traits from being raised 'properly' have a miserable time as criminals, even though they were raised by a mobster type criminal that is all about manners and responsibility while doing your job
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited October 2017
    from what I understand, sims with the compassionate trait will feel tense after using mean interactions.

Evil sims don't gain any direct benefit from being mean to other sims (as far as I know?). The primary mechanic of that trait is that when you're near sims with negative emotions, you get a buff from it.

So technically there is no conflict between those two. A sim that is both evil and compassionate will be happy when people nearby are in a bad mood, but won't necessarilly want to put them in a bad mood themselves.

I think evil is a very poorly done trait, anyway. It seems to me that "mean" is much better at providing gameplay for a "bad guy" type character than evil is. I'd actually be more curious about the interaction in a sim who is both mean and compassionate. They'll probably just get both a negative and positive moodlet from being mean
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    I agree with Cyrus on evil being poorly implemented in sims 4. I loved having evil genius characters in 3 because while they loved pain and misery they rarely (purposefully) went out of their way to cause it. However, in 4 it mostly feels like mean's barely usable kid brother. (I also have issues with good in 4, but that is another story). That said, I absolutely adore the maniacal laughter that evil sims do randomly (my favorite is over breakfast)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2017
    I suggest if you want to get a sim a bit more evil - and you have the Parenthood pack - start them off at least as a teen - give them the evil traits and then in the special training for teens and under you can give them behaviors less desirable for a more evil type character by doing the opposite of good things. I have a teen I have been playing - grooming here to be very compassionate, kind, good sim so when the Cats and dogs come out I hope to have her in the Vet career - naturally I want her to be exceptionally caring so I am having her behaviors all on the good and caring side. I am sure you can make them a more despicable adult by doing the opposite.

It's an idea anyway seeing traits alone are not enough.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Thank you all for your input. I agree the traits are sadly lacking impact on social interactions. Lasting effects are also lacking, sadly. But you answered my question about the evil/compassionate Sims. :)
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    Evil takes more scheming and plotting than the sims is capable of. This is just another example of lack of depth in our sims. I don’t mind emotions overriding a trait, however, they should be more effected by traits too.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Evil has always been a shallow trait, fam.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    I don't have an evil & compassionate Sim but I do have a Sim who is hotheaded and compassionate and another who is just evil living together. The hotheaded, compassionate Sim is by far meaner than the evil Sim; the only difference is that the compassionate guy gets tense after being (autonomously) mean. He laughs just as hard at his enemies' graves as the evil Sim, which he doesn't feel bad about at all btw. :D
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    TO expand on my point above: An evil sim should not feel bad for doing evil things, because he or she i evil and have chosen to do evil actions. That does NOT mean that he or she will DO evil actions to say loved ones. It's the same discussion you have when playing role playing games (pen and paper): An evil character tend to have people he or she cares for. A personal code he won't break. Etc.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    TO expand on my point above: An evil sim should not feel bad for doing evil things, because he or she i evil and have chosen to do evil actions. That does NOT mean that he or she will DO evil actions to say loved ones. It's the same discussion you have when playing role playing games (pen and paper): An evil character tend to have people he or she cares for. A personal code he won't break. Etc.

If only my hotheaded Sim had that personal code. Here he is fighting his girlfriend...
    3QSHuVc.png
    Fighting his friend...
    sHaE3nu.png
    Fighting his friend/lover...
    gqMnJqE.png
    These were all autonomous, by the way. I never directed him to fight loved ones. He chose to this himself. I don't think I even have the option to "Fight!" vampire Caleb. In that case, it would've been a vampiric duel. And oh, yeah, this dude is compassionate. :lol:

3CLjlHU.png
    Guess which Sim is evil and which Sim is compassionate in this case where a Sim just died.

That's right. She's the evil one. They both had an equally negative relationship with the dead guy, by the way. So as you can see, my evil Sim is way, way, way more civil than my compassionate Sim is lol. She don't even need the compassionate trait to be compassionate. On the other hand, someone please give my other Sim a moral code. Gosh.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    A sim's voice plays an important part in cementing his/her personality.
    Three of almost the same happy go lucky voices is all that we have, and it's really not enough to encompass the human archetypes.
    I think they have to set a limit to this part of the game in order to better suit the animations, the teen rating's vibe, and to limit costs.