Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can Sims have actual mixed race kids?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2017
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you talk as if I'm clueless when I already stated that genetics are complex overall but TS2 genetics appear to be simplified while TS3 is a bit more improved. I am already aware of the possibilities in real life of inheriting certain traits even when the parents don't have these themselves but are carriers of it. Hence the whole point in discussing recessive traits and making sense of why a child may have a different look than their parents or grandparents.

Since in TS3 recessive traits seems to be a hidden feature and not something a player can choose or set to random themselves, unfortunately, the only way to tell is by observing any differences in the kids. In your example (TS2), you said all the kids came out looking like their mother as in dark hair color and brown eyes. Of course, it could take more kids to determine if there is a different recessive color such as the case with my Sims. So there is no sure way of knowing but can guess based on the kid's appearances thus far. Sometimes recessive traits can skip a generation or more.

Another way to tell if creating two Sims in CAS is to keep randomizing the kids to see anything different. With my other Sims, Kibwe and Fatima they have a recessive trait for blue eyes. Udo has blue eyes. Chi doesn't count because a gave him a specific look to imitate albinism.

"The idea of putting dominant/recessive in the game sounds like a good idea, but in reality it makes things more boring, because dominance is treated much more strict and one dimensional than in real life."

Which is why I said this would be an area to improve and advance upon if The Sims was still The Sims. Anyway, sometimes the coders take things way too far when their percentages and chances are not favorable. This is why I am always for giving the player as much control as possible because stuff like this would be adjusted to each individual's preference. But The Sims' future is dead to me so...oh well.

Hey, Sims Team, you ever think about a serious and well done The Sims 3: Revisited?
    -HD
    -64 Bit
    -Clean up glitches (No more memory leaks/fps limiter/update for newer graphic cards and resolutions/etc.)
    -More options for players to control how they play their game
    -Added playablility for subhoods
    -Added playability for real restaurants both fancy and fast food
    -Improved Sims, textures and graphics
    -Added interactions and content for infants and toddlers
    -Optimized
    -Etc.
    I said that genetics are more complex than the simple fruitfly based BB-Bb-bB-bb theory we learned at school (I actually only learned that quite recently myself). Now, it is a game, so it’s perfectly allright for it to not be as complex as reality, but in this case I feel it makes the reality of the game boring (the way it is in Sims 2, every couple ending up with kids that only show plain dominant outcome: brown eyes, brown hair). I’ve had discussions about this with people who know Sims 2 and that’s just how it works in a first generation family: if my sims get 100 kids together, they will all have brown eyes and brown hair. For me that’s boring. And it isn’t even realistic I stated, because irl brown eyed people can perfectly well get blue eyed kids. I even learned a while ago (and that’s in my link) that two brown eyed people can get a blue eyed kid, where I used to think that was only possible when the milkman had played a part in the play :p The fact reality is more complex, makes leaving out the fruitfly system a better decision for the game in my opinion. I love surprises and variety where it comes to offspring.

I don’t believe genetics were improved in Sims 3? At least, I’ve always read that Sims 3 doesn’t have a dominance-recessive system at all and that indeed is my experience as well (concerning eye and hair colour). As long as I remember people have been praising Sims 2 for having this system, considering the lack of it a flaw in Sims 3. So this aspect would be new information for me, Sims 3 having such a system. Is there actually something in Sims 3’s coding that supports this? I must say I’ve never noticed with all the kids born in my game. To me it seems a total tombola tbh.

Anyone who says that TS3 has any sort of recessive gene system is wishfully thinking. The closest thing it has is the chance to inherit a grandparent's hair or eye color. Whether or not someone prefers it to the TS2's simple Mendelian genetics is up to taste but TS3 makes it pretty simple and unrealistic (like passing down unnatural hair colors or greys).
    Yes, that’s what I thought too. On one hand passing down unnatural hair colour can be considered unrealistic. On the other hand, what’s unrealistic in a Sims game. We can play fairies, so why not creatures that are born with pink hair and purple eyes. I think it’s nice their kids can inherit that colour. And as for dyed hair, recoloured in CAS, I like that too because at least when I change the puke brown into the colour of one of the parents, I can be sure my sim’s kid won’t inherit the puke brown but the new colour possibly. When my Cameron would get a child with her hair I prefer it to be her current colour, not the stew orange the game came up with. Every downside has an upside.

I wonder by the way if they pass on grey? I never noticed really. I do know the game remembers the original haircolour of an elder in CAS. Come to think of it... this couple got a son with his father’s hair colour.

2656069_orig.png

His father was an old man though when he made my sim pregnant (later he drank a youth potion).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I'm not sure why you talk as if I'm clueless when I already stated that genetics are complex overall but TS2 genetics appear to be simplified while TS3 is a bit more improved. I am already aware of the possibilities in real life of inheriting certain traits even when the parents don't have these themselves but are carriers of it. Hence the whole point in discussing recessive traits and making sense of why a child may have a different look than their parents or grandparents.

Since in TS3 recessive traits seems to be a hidden feature and not something a player can choose or set to random themselves, unfortunately, the only way to tell is by observing any differences in the kids. In your example (TS2), you said all the kids came out looking like their mother as in dark hair color and brown eyes. Of course, it could take more kids to determine if there is a different recessive color such as the case with my Sims. So there is no sure way of knowing but can guess based on the kid's appearances thus far. Sometimes recessive traits can skip a generation or more.

Another way to tell if creating two Sims in CAS is to keep randomizing the kids to see anything different. With my other Sims, Kibwe and Fatima they have a recessive trait for blue eyes. Udo has blue eyes. Chi doesn't count because a gave him a specific look to imitate albinism.

"The idea of putting dominant/recessive in the game sounds like a good idea, but in reality it makes things more boring, because dominance is treated much more strict and one dimensional than in real life."

Which is why I said this would be an area to improve and advance upon if The Sims was still The Sims. Anyway, sometimes the coders take things way too far when their percentages and chances are not favorable. This is why I am always for giving the player as much control as possible because stuff like this would be adjusted to each individual's preference. But The Sims' future is dead to me so...oh well.

Hey, Sims Team, you ever think about a serious and well done The Sims 3: Revisited?
    -HD
    -64 Bit
    -Clean up glitches (No more memory leaks/fps limiter/update for newer graphic cards and resolutions/etc.)
    -Optimized
    -Etc.
    I said that genetics are more complex than the simple fruitfly based BB-Bb-bB-bb theory we learned at school (I actually only learned that quite recently myself). Now, it is a game, so it’s perfectly allright for it to not be as complex as reality, but in this case I feel it makes the reality of the game boring (the way it is in Sims 2, every couple ending up with kids that only show plain dominant outcome: brown eyes, brown hair). I’ve had discussions about this with people who know Sims 2 and that’s just how it works in a first generation family: if my sims get 100 kids together, they will all have brown eyes and brown hair. For me that’s boring. And it isn’t even realistic I stated, because irl brown eyed people can perfectly well get blue eyed kids. I even learned a while ago (and that’s in my link) that two brown eyed people can get a blue eyed kid, where I used to think that was only possible when the milkman had played a part in the play :p The fact reality is more complex, makes leaving out the fruitfly system a better decision for the game in my opinion. I love surprises and variety where it comes to offspring.

I don’t believe genetics were improved in Sims 3? At least, I’ve always read that Sims 3 doesn’t have a dominance-recessive system at all and that indeed is my experience as well (concerning eye and hair colour). As long as I remember people have been praising Sims 2 for having this system, considering the lack of it a flaw in Sims 3. So this aspect would be new information for me, Sims 3 having such a system. Is there actually something in Sims 3’s coding that supports this? I must say I’ve never noticed with all the kids born in my game. To me it seems a total tombola tbh.

Anyone who says that TS3 has any sort of recessive gene system is wishfully thinking. The closest thing it has is the chance to inherit a grandparent's hair or eye color. Whether or not someone prefers it to the TS2's simple Mendelian genetics is up to taste but TS3 makes it pretty simple and unrealistic (like passing down unnatural hair colors or greys).
    Yes, that’s what I thought too. On one hand passing down unnatural hair colour can be considered unrealistic. On the other hand, what’s unrealistic in a Sims game. We can play fairies, so why not creatures that are born with pink hair and purple eyes. I think it’s nice their kids can inherit that colour. And as for dyed hair, recoloured in CAS, I like that too because at least when I change the puke brown into the colour of one of the parents, I can be sure my sim’s kid won’t inherit the puke brown but the new colour possibly. When my Cameron would get a child with her hair I prefer it to be her current colour, not the stew orange the game came up with. Every downside has an upside.

I wonder by the way if they pass on grey? I never noticed really. I do know the game remembers the original haircolour of an elder in CAS. Come to think of it... this couple got a son with his father’s hair colour.

2656069_orig.png

His father was an old man though when he made my sim pregnant (later he drank a youth potion).

I don't think they do, only if you recoloured it yourself to be grey when tha dult-sim was nearly an elder. Then it's considered dyed and therefore natural and inheritable.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    That sounds right. But in general the genetic inheritances that sims obtain from their parents (and grandparents) are processed at birth or just prior to it, not at the time of conception. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited October 2017
    Well, maybe it's because I have NRaas Story Progression, but in my game, children do inherit gray hair from their parents. When I play in Sunset Valley, if Nick and Vita Alto have any more children, they will always have gray streaks in their hair.
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Well, maybe it's because I have NRaas Story Progression, but in my game, children do inherit gray hair from their parents. When I play in Sunset Valley, if Nick and Vita Alto have any more children, they will always have gray streaks in their hair.

yes, because that's the colour they're made with. I once changed my sim's hair to grey streaks manually and her grandson got it. They just don't get the grey hair elders automatically get.

• Options
    therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    edited October 2017

That's my experience too. Besides Holly in my story Altos have two daughters more, Eleanor and Margaret. Both of them had grey streaks in their hair when they aged up to toddlers. I changed it manually, but kept black roots and dark brown base. Here's the effect on the youngest Margaret, I gave tips copied base color and with highlights I gave them copied base color too but with +20 to each slot to make it highlights more:

4Fumo0E.jpg

BTW in my TS2 game Mortimer Goth (light skin, grey hair, brown eyes) had one more daughter with Dina Caliente (swarthy skin, blond hair and green eyes) - Donatella Goth, who had light skin, brown hair and brown eyes. She married Camil Broke, the unborn baby Broke, who was male version of Brandi so light skin with black hair and grey eyes. Donatella and Camil had 3 light skin children, black haired son with brown eyes and twins: both with black hair, but twin boy had grey eyes and twin girl brown eyes.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Just today got another positive answer to the question...my game is 100% mod/CC free...

Mom and Dad:

37540006060_dc5229a398_b.jpg

Kiddo...

With mom, obviously he's darker than mom:

37817059451_ef0b4f0e9e_b.jpg

He's lighter than dad:

37768181676_3e455349c2_b.jpg

Aged up to toddler:

37785089542_2e13fdd195_b.jpg

With Dad:

37558680990_a234d5ba9e_b.jpg

37558681590_5a9d75ecdc_b.jpg

With Mom:

23963999508_a12e6d7b70_b.jpg

23963999028_a7ec645de8_b.jpg

:smiley:
  • Options
    therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    @Charlottesmom What an adorable family! Love all three of them and their hairstyles.
    And I can confirm about mixed race kids in my game too, no CC and Mods. Monika Morris married Christopher Steel and their son George Steel is darker then dad, but much lighter then mom.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Charlottesmom You hit the baby lotto,if I am seeing it right did the child get the Jolina eye color??? :o Woah will look awesome even more so at teen and especially YA.Dark skin with blue eyes

WOW!!! :love:
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    That sounds right. But in general the genetic inheritances that sims obtain from their parents (and grandparents) are processed at birth or just prior to it, not at the time of conception. :)
    I know, but he drank the potion after his son had been born. I actually thought of another example. A sim I had put in my game as a potential partner for my sim unexpectedly became pregnant (when EA’s SP still worked in my game). The father turned out to be my sim’s uncle, an old man as you can see here:

QjETnGR.jpg

This was their son:

W2N7mt9.jpg

As you can see he doesn’t have his mother’s hair colour, it’s his father’s when he was a young boy/man (I raised him ;)).

4YPMX3c.jpg

My game was modless back then.

@Charlottesmom He’s awesome!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

Yeah that's what I was referring to. Adults (usually pre-mades) with grey hair/streaks passing those down. Elder hair colors never get passed down and I usually dye them to not be EA grey.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member

-HD
    -64 Bit
    -Optimized
    -Etc.

There are 4 different outcomes I have seen.
    -Exact hair and/or eye color of parents or grandparents
    -A shade, tint or tone of the parents hair color
    -Different hair or eye color altogether (recessive trait)
    -Mutated hair color but not sure if there is one for eyes since I have not so far come across that in the tests and I don't recall from previous play throughs

*Unfortunately, there is no real gameplay mechanic for dyeing a Sim's hair because it's really just changing their DNA. There is no distinction for the game to determine between genetic color or dyed...obviously already noted. But a simple workaround is to obtain the original genetic information to refer back to in the case of dyeing and/or when a child should have the parent's natural hair color.

Here are some of my results. Which anyone can go try themselves if they want to learn about TS3 genetics...it's in the game. I'm just observing what it's doing from my point of view. Anyone is free to make their own assessment.

Father
    Father_Hair_Color.png
    Father_Eye_Color.png
    Father_Roots.png
    Father_Base.png
    Father_Highlights.png
    Father_Tips.png

Mother
    Mother_Hair_Color.png
    Mother_Eye_Color.png
    Mother_Roots.png
    Mother_Base.png
    Mother_Highlights.png
    Mother_Tips.png

Child 3 has a subtle difference from her father's hair color.
    Child_3.png
    Child_3_Eye_Color.png
    Child_3_Roots.png
    Child_3_Base.png
    Child_3_Highlights.png
    Child_3_Tips.png

Child 7 has the mutated hair color. During some randomizes that didn't come up often. I've read it has a 10% chance.
    Child_7.png
    Child_7_Eye_Color.png

I don't understand the mutated part of the genetic equation in TS3. Just my opinion but it's a horrible implementation and I don't even know what it is trying to replicate from real life because it doesn't make any sense so maybe totally random. Instead, I feel it would have been best, if possible, to combine colors through blending and/or having multiple colors all at the same time. No "mutations" but rather rare occurrences/rare variations. Such as a Sim with black hair, a Sim with brown hair could produce a child with both black and brown hair or a child with dark brown hair. But wait...didn't that just happen with child 10 even though it could pertain just to the mother's darker tones of the same color? I think it's the latter though. Eye colors could have been so much better as in two different eye colors or having multiple colors within both eyes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterochromia_iridum
    Heterochromia_plos.png
    f9f09ffe5e69d50359a5664c9fa9cd7b--cool-eyes-amazing-eyes.jpg

Real life example of multiple different hair colors. I'm going to use this picture of actress Indra Ove.
    Indra-9701.jpg

Child 9 and 12 both have blonde hair.
    Child_9.png
    Child_9_Eye_Color.png
    Child_12.png
    Child_12_Eye_Color.png

Child 10 has a darker tone of her mother's hair color.
    Child_10.png
    Child_10_Eye_Color.png
    Child_10_Roots.png
    Child_10_Base.png
    Child_10_Highlights.png
    Child_10_Tips.png

Mother's base hair color
    mothers_hair_color.png

Child 10's approximate base hair color.
    approximate_hair_tone.png

Child 11 has a lighter shade of his mother's hair color.
    Child_11.png
    Child_11_Eye_Color.png
    Child_11_Roots.png
    Child_11_Base.png
    Child_11_Highlights.png
    Child_11_Tips.png

Child 11's hair color
    child_11_hair_color.png

Mother's approximate hair color
    mothers_approximate_hair_color.png

During these experiments, so far, I have not run into any other hair colors which suggests it is not random, there is a thought process behind it for the generator to use. In fact, TS2 not only has dominant and recessive traits but is the 1st game in the series to implement it. Being a life simulator but taking out that feature would be counterproductive. Though, hey it happens sometimes but it wouldn't be a game I would support if it didn't resemble the genre it's supposed to be. So here are the 4 hair colors that showed up during this genetic test.
    -Black (Possible to have shades, tones or tints)
    -Brown (Possible to have shades, tones or tints)
    -Blonde (Recessive trait)
    -Mutated (Which to me is nonsensical and should have been realistic with blending and/or using multiple colors at the same time. Maybe that was not possible at the time based on the game engine...I don't know.)

http://www.blinn.edu/socialscience/LDThomas/Feldman/Handouts/0203hand.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coKtUvIiSm0

I wonder if in real life kids can inherit the same eye color as a parent but a different shade? I think that's possible but not 100% sure. Because in that case, the eye color genetics in TS3 is kind of lame especially having a color wheel, hex numbers and RGB. Still annoyed that pets got two different eye colors but not for human Sims as well.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    WonderstruckkWonderstruckk Posts: 195 Member
    Thanks for all the comments, everyone! My Sim family mentioned here have gone on to have 6 kids and none of them are biracial, a few of them look just like the dad (who is black) but just don't have his skin tone. Guess I just have bad luck lol
    anigif_enhanced-25237-1426197588-11_preview.gif