Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can Sims have actual mixed race kids?

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I use NRaas: Story Progression with the Population module for advanced genetics. To be honest, I haven't played with "advanced genetics" in play for very long. The recent generations in my game have been one color ramp over the other. I'm using kurasoberina's Primer skin which is supposed to be based on EA ramps but in my opinion, a little off. Plus, if you're using non-default custom skins, they can be passed on and the color ramps may differ from whatever skin you use as a default.
    Generation 3 (parents)
    tumblr_ov4jgu7Tkp1ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    Daughter
    tumblr_ov4h9evZe51ssiu0eo1_1280.png

Generation 4 (parents)
    tumblr_ovujpuVmYH1ssiu0eo1_1280.png
    Twins!
    tumblr_ow3h5wbbte1ssiu0eo1_1280.png

@Wonderstruckk What a lovely family. :) I can see a good mix in their daughter's skin tone.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    cwaddell wrote: »
    And I'm pretty sure that unmodded the game does not blend hair color. I use the consort hair mod so that the hair color is always a blend of the two parents, even if it is say 97.5% of one and 2.5% the other. It also allows the percentages of the blend to be changed on any sim in town.
    No, hair colour indeed doesn’t blend. Which is why the father in my example got a dark skinned daughter with the light blond hair of her grandfather. The game just chooses the exact colour of one of the parents or grandparents, or a random colour.

@Charlottesmom That’s exactly my experience.

The random color is not so random and from my observation pertains to the matching recessive traits of the parents. Everyone has a dominant hair color and a recessive hair color among other recessive traits. If paired with someone else with the same recessive hair color it then becomes a possibility that a child will inherit the recessive color.

For example, I'll use my Sims Nathaniel and Trinity from above.
    Brown hair (dominant)/Blonde hair (recessive)
    Black hair (dominant)/Blonde hair (recessive)
    This is why Hunter has naturally blonde hair.

Using a Punnett Square you can also find out the chance of them having a child with black, brown, black and brown or blended (non-existent in TS3 as far as I know), or blonde hair.
    Rumbaa_Punnett_Square.png

Even if there are unnatural colors that The Sims Studio thought would be fun to include as recessive colors, it still holds true and follows the dominant/recessive traits in human inheritance.

Of course, I'm still early on in the generations to see if inheritance is indeed based on reality as far as the concept of it all consistently. I'm guessing that during CAS when a Sim is created, that information is already decided unknown and and unchosen by the player. I suppose the same with an born in-game Sim based on their parents, grandparents, ancestors. Because sometimes kids can inherit traits from generations way before them depending on the DNA passed on.

Anyway, if the DNA system is accurate, all the Rumbaa kids should have a recessive trait for blonde hair. So far, no grandkids has blonde hair but then again the other parent must have the same recessive trait for that to be a possibility. Paige's kids have light colored hair but that's their fathers hair color though in my game I pretended he went completly gray at a young age.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    @GITTE2001 I bet no one ever believes them when they tell people that they are twins! :D

I've seen about the last family & yeah, they have a hard time convincing people they're twins.
    Basically all the kids got mixed traits, except "ginger" there, who got all the whitest genes from both parents. (the mother is also biracial)
    Genetics are funny things!

About the Sims, from what I can tell, the game mixes skin thusly: Skin color (ramp) from one parent, skin tone (slider position) from other parent.

In my IP game with Matteo Torres/Mia Azul, their first daughter got Mia's color (the white/black ramp - she's one of those pale mermaids) & Matteo's slider position (in the middle), the kid was born with graphite grey skin!
    Yeah... I switched Mia to Neiuro's Mango Yogurt skin (to keep her alabaster look) & matched the daughter to Mia's complexion. The second daughter was born with the same mix of Mia's skin & Matteo's slider, but this time she was a medium tan because I switched skins. (she also got Mia's red hair - she's really cute)
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I don't have screenshots because I lost all my old screenshots when my external drive crashed and burned, but yes it does happen. I had mixed race families with kids that came out really light, some really dark, and some that came out with a coffee colored tone. However, I can't remember if these kids were born in a modded or unmodded household. I didn't start using mods for TS3 until some time in 2012 and I can't quite remember off the top of my head when I played this family. It is possible that they were born after I started using mods.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Your links (Photobucket) don't work. They don't support third party hosting anymore, unless you pay $500 a year. Hope you'll move the pictures to another service and show them again, I love genetics in the game.

I use photobucket. I only pay somewhere around $30 per year, and my photos show up here.
    Mine too, shhh. Hope they forgot about it ;) Only pics of my free account were broken. I fear one day the pictures on my paid account will get the same treatment though...
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited October 2017
    @Deshong04 I don’t believe Sims 3 has anything concerning dominant and recessive in its coding? Not like in Sims 2. There is an upside to that for me I must say, the Sims 2 method doesn’t follow a very realistic method concerning genetics and it rules out surprises. Meaning: my first generation sims only had kids with dark hair and brown eyes because mother had, overruling dad’s ginger hair and green eyes. That’s boring to me and not how real life works.

As for the random colour, I remember getting a yellow blond kid once (one of triplets). His dad had chestnut brown hair, his in CAS created mother had light brown hair. His grantparents had chestnut and black hair. There was no apparent reason the game chose the yellow blond instead of the puke brown or stew orange ;)

P.s. Love your skin examples earlier in the topic!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    There is a 15% chance each kid in TS3 will be given a random (mutated) hair color without a mod to control that. It doesn't have anything to do with recessive genes when this happens although I can see in some instances where if the random hair color just happens to match or come close to matching someone further back on the family tree then it can look like it does.

The now very old joke in real life of course, from nosy neighbors who have nothing better to worry about, is why does one of your kids look more like the milkman (handyman, mail deliverer, the pizza guy, etc.) than either parent? :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Your links (Photobucket) don't work. They don't support third party hosting anymore, unless you pay $500 a year. Hope you'll move the pictures to another service and show them again, I love genetics in the game.

I use photobucket. I only pay somewhere around $30 per year, and my photos show up here.
    Mine too, shhh. Hope they forgot about it ;) Only pics of my free account were broken. I fear one day the pictures on my paid account will get the same treatment though...

I switched to flickr in July but in the stories where I used photobucket my pictures still show up with my paid account, on my free account the pictures have vanished. I think they wait until your anniversary then get you on the paid accounts, but not sure. I'm going to start switching the pictures on my story threads very soon.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @igazor That 15% is way too much for my liking, especially since my game seems to like throwing the baby poo green hair at me! I have never counted hair or eye colour as part of the genetics as a result of the random mutated colours. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I worked that one out pretty quickly since big families over multiple generations has been my preferred play style since the game came out.
    edited October 2017
    @Mikezumi - For years I had been adjusting most of those mutated colors myself as I saw them. I finally got tired of that and started using Consort's mod instead like so many others to manage proper blending. I still have to make a smaller number of adjustments for different reasons such as when one parent or another has what I would consider a dye job (unofficially) or I've made them go grey prematurely as such would not be expected to be handed down to a baby, but not nearly as often now. :)
    http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUploadsRemote/uploads/1779/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @igazor I've been using the consort hair colour mod for a while now. Thank you :)

I switched to flickr in July but in the stories where I used photobucket my pictures still show up with my paid account, on my free account the pictures have vanished. I think they wait until your anniversary then get you on the paid accounts, but not sure. I'm going to start switching the pictures on my story threads very soon.
    (whispers) But that was in June for me. Haven’t paid them a penny since :#
    5JZ57S6.png
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    There is a 15% chance each kid in TS3 will be given a random (mutated) hair color without a mod to control that. It doesn't have anything to do with recessive genes when this happens although I can see in some instances where the random hair color just happens to match or come close to matching someone further back on the family tree where it can look like it does.

The now very old joke in real life of course, from nosy neighbors who have nothing better to worry about, is why does one of your kids look more like the milkman (handyman, mail deliverer, the pizza guy, etc.) than either parent? :)

Sure, Frank & Fannie Farkle just coincidently had all those red-headed children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFLbR5c2Vo
    bklienhart wrote: »
    Sure, Frank & Fannie Farkle just coincidently had all those red-headed children.
    Yes, but that was the other way around. In that case, the milkman, pizza deliverer, etc. wondered why the Farkle kids looked like the next door neighbor. So did someone who commented on YouTube apparently (facepalms).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited October 2017
    @Deshong04 I don’t believe Sims 3 has anything concerning dominant and recessive in its coding? Not like in Sims 2. There is an upside to that for me I must say, the Sims 2 method doesn’t follow a very realistic method concerning genetics and it rules out surprises. Meaning: my first generation sims only had kids with dark hair and brown eyes because mother had, overruling dad’s ginger hair and green eyes. That’s boring to me and not how real life works.

As for the random colour, I remember getting a yellow blond kid once (one of triplets). His dad had chestnut brown hair, his in CAS created mother had light brown hair. His grantparents had chestnut and black hair. There was no apparent reason the game chose the yellow blond instead of the puke brown or stew orange ;)

Apparently, for some reason some of the basics taught in Biology has stuck in my memory.

Even though, I don't remember much about TS2 genetics based on your example it is indeed accurate. Why? Because red hair and green eyes are recessive colors and usually will be dominated by a dominant color. Also, as mentioned before, the other parent must have the same dominant or recessive hair color to have a chance for a child to come out with red hair.

If the mother has black hair, recessive black also it's BB. If the father has red hair, then it could be rr. Put that in the Punnett Square and I got 100% the child will come out with Black hair. The mother has brown eyes, BB, and the father green eyes gg. I get 100% the child will have brown eyes. Accurate to me. Although, there are many combinations than that and that is just simplified to the basics. It's possible to have a recessive color be a dominant or a dominant color be recessive. Also having a different color as a recessive trait than what's the dominant color, such as black hair with a recessive trait for blonde. What if the other parent has Brown hair and a recessive trait for red hair? The recessive traits don't match but it is possible genetics could just merge the two. Like literally having both blonde and red hair.

Genetics is complex because there is a lot more to it but can be simplified and still accurate based on the Punnett Square. I saw a girl once with 3 different hair colors. She had blonde with streaks of light brown and red. All natural and no dye. I'm sure there are many like that but may be a rare sight. I never knew I even had 3 different hair colors until at school the girls kept asking did I dye my hair and I said no.

The yellow blonde color, regardless of the unnatural color and seems something The Sims Studio specifically picked out, is like a wild card. Not all kids inherit their parents or grandparents or even great grandparents traits. It can be from many generations from before. Each egg and spermatozoon has it's own data of information based on what was passed down. Siblings usually have enough similarities to tell they are related but that is not always the case 100% of the time.

There is so much more to improve and advance upon in The Sims but yeah that's not going to happen with the direction they went.

Thanks for the compliment.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    There is a 15% chance each kid in TS3 will be given a random (mutated) hair color without a mod to control that. It doesn't have anything to do with recessive genes when this happens although I can see in some instances where the random hair color just happens to match or come close to matching someone further back on the family tree where it can look like it does.

:lol: I know this joke about the neigbour itself
    edited October 2017
    Deshong04 wrote: »

Apparently, for some reason some of the basics taught in Biology has stuck in my memory.

Even though, I don't remember much about TS2 genetics based on your example it is indeed accurate. Why? Because red hair and green eyes are recessive colors and usually will be dominated by a dominant color. Also, as mentioned before, the other parent must have the same dominant or recessive hair color to have a chance for a child to come out with red hair.

If the mother has black hair, recessive black also it's BB. If the father has red hair, then it could be rr. Put that in the Punnett Square and I got 100% the child will come out with Black hair. The mother has brown eyes, BB, and the father green eyes gg. I get 100% the child will have brown eyes. Accurate to me. Although, there are many combinations than that and that is just simplified to the basics. It's possible to have a recessive color be a dominant or a dominant color be recessive. Also having a different color as a recessive trait than what's the dominant color, such as black hair with a recessive trait for blonde. What if the other parent has Brown hair and a recessive trait for red hair? The recessive traits don't match but it is possible genetics could just merge the two. Like literally having both blonde and red hair.

Genetics is complex because there is a lot more to it but can be simplified and still accurate based on the Punnett Square. I saw a girl once with 3 different hair colors. She had blonde with streaks of light brown and red. All natural and no dye. I'm sure there are many like that but may be a rare sight. I never knew I even had 3 different hair colors until at school the girls kept asking did I dye my hair and I said no.

The yellow blonde color, regardless of the unnatural color and seems something The Sims Studio specifically picked out, is like a wild card. Not all kids inherit their parents or grandparents or even great grandparents traits. It can be from many generations from before. Each egg and spermatozoon has it's own data of information based on what was passed down. Siblings usually have enough similarities to tell they are related but that is not always the case 100% of the time.

There is so much more to improve and advance upon in The Sims but yeah that's not going to happen with the direction they went.

Thanks for the compliment.
    I remember those biology classes as well, I know how it works ;) The point is, in reality it's much more complicated than that and a brown eyed/brown haired parent can perfectly well get a blue eyed kid with blond hair. My mother has brown eyes and very dark brown hair. Still both her kids have blue eyes, my brother on top of that is blond (my dad isn't, though he was as a kid). My husband was blond as a kid too, as a teen it became dark brown (I never understood how that can be explained genetically). His eyes are brown. My eyes are blue, my hair is dark brown. Both our kids have blue eyes and (dark) blond hair (much lighter than us). Now, obviously my mother and my husband aren't BB's, but who says my sim is?

The idea of putting dominant/recessive in the game sounds like a good idea, but in reality it makes things more boring, because dominance is treated much more strict and one dimensional than in real life.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    I fell asleep in Biology... :mrgreen: That and Physics.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    I'm not sure why you talk as if I'm clueless when I already stated that genetics are complex overall but TS2 genetics appear to be simplified while TS3 is a bit more improved. I am already aware of the possibilities in real life of inheriting certain traits even when the parents don't have these themselves but are carriers of it. Hence the whole point in discussing recessive traits and making sense of why a child may have a different look than their parents or grandparents.

Since in TS3 recessive traits seems to be a hidden feature and not something a player can choose or set to random themselves, unfortunately, the only way to tell is by observing any differences in the kids. In your example (TS2), you said all the kids came out looking like their mother as in dark hair color and brown eyes. Of course, it could take more kids to determine if there is a different recessive color such as the case with my Sims. So there is no sure way of knowing but can guess based on the kid's appearances thus far. Sometimes recessive traits can skip a generation or more.

Another way to tell if creating two Sims in CAS is to keep randomizing the kids to see anything different. With my other Sims, Kibwe and Fatima they have a recessive trait for blue eyes. Udo has blue eyes. Chi doesn't count because a gave him a specific look to imitate albinism.

"The idea of putting dominant/recessive in the game sounds like a good idea, but in reality it makes things more boring, because dominance is treated much more strict and one dimensional than in real life."

Which is why I said this would be an area to improve and advance upon if The Sims was still The Sims. Anyway, sometimes the coders take things way too far when their percentages and chances are not favorable. This is why I am always for giving the player as much control as possible because stuff like this would be adjusted to each individual's preference. But The Sims' future is dead to me so...oh well.

Hey, Sims Team, you ever think about a serious and well done The Sims 3: Revisited?
    -HD
    -64 Bit
    -Clean up glitches (No more memory leaks/fps limiter/update for newer graphic cards and resolutions/etc.)
    -More options for players to control how they play their game
    -Added playablility for subhoods
    -Added playability for real restaurants both fancy and fast food
    -Improved Sims, textures and graphics
    -Added interactions and content for infants and toddlers
    -Optimized
    -Etc.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
    edited October 2017
    I fell asleep in Biology... :mrgreen: That and Physics.
    Lol, I used to fall asleep during botany, genetics however I found quite interesting ;)
    I'm not sure why you talk as if I'm clueless when I already stated that genetics are complex overall but TS2 genetics appear to be simplified while TS3 is a bit more improved. I am already aware of the possibilities in real life of inheriting certain traits even when the parents don't have these themselves but are carriers of it. Hence the whole point in discussing recessive traits and making sense of why a child may have a different look than their parents or grandparents.

Since in TS3 recessive traits seems to be a hidden feature and not something a player can choose or set to random themselves, unfortunately, the only way to tell is by observing any differences in the kids. In your example (TS2), you said all the kids came out looking like their mother as in dark hair color and brown eyes. Of course, it could take more kids to determine if there is a different recessive color such as the case with my Sims. So there is no sure way of knowing but can guess based on the kid's appearances thus far. Sometimes recessive traits can skip a generation or more.

Another way to tell if creating two Sims in CAS is to keep randomizing the kids to see anything different. With my other Sims, Kibwe and Fatima they have a recessive trait for blue eyes. Udo has blue eyes. Chi doesn't count because a gave him a specific look to imitate albinism.

"The idea of putting dominant/recessive in the game sounds like a good idea, but in reality it makes things more boring, because dominance is treated much more strict and one dimensional than in real life."

Which is why I said this would be an area to improve and advance upon if The Sims was still The Sims. Anyway, sometimes the coders take things way too far when their percentages and chances are not favorable. This is why I am always for giving the player as much control as possible because stuff like this would be adjusted to each individual's preference. But The Sims' future is dead to me so...oh well.

Hey, Sims Team, you ever think about a serious and well done The Sims 3: Revisited?
    -HD
    -64 Bit
    -Clean up glitches (No more memory leaks/fps limiter/update for newer graphic cards and resolutions/etc.)
    -Optimized
    -Etc.
    I said that genetics are more complex than the simple fruitfly based BB-Bb-bB-bb theory we learned at school (I actually only learned that quite recently myself). Now, it is a game, so it’s perfectly allright for it to not be as complex as reality, but in this case I feel it makes the reality of the game boring (the way it is in Sims 2, every couple ending up with kids that only show plain dominant outcome: brown eyes, brown hair). I’ve had discussions about this with people who know Sims 2 and that’s just how it works in a first generation family: if my sims get 100 kids together, they will all have brown eyes and brown hair. For me that’s boring. And it isn’t even realistic I stated, because irl brown eyed people can perfectly well get blue eyed kids. I even learned a while ago (and that’s in my link) that two brown eyed people can get a blue eyed kid, where I used to think that was only possible when the milkman had played a part in the play :p The fact reality is more complex, makes leaving out the fruitfly system a better decision for the game in my opinion. I love surprises and variety where it comes to offspring.

I don’t believe genetics were improved in Sims 3? At least, I’ve always read that Sims 3 doesn’t have a dominance-recessive system at all and that indeed is my experience as well (concerning eye and hair colour). As long as I remember people have been praising Sims 2 for having this system, considering the lack of it a flaw in Sims 3. So this aspect would be new information for me, Sims 3 having such a system. Is there actually something in Sims 3’s coding that supports this? I must say I’ve never noticed with all the kids born in my game. To me it seems a total tombola tbh.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member

They will gradually find you and then you photos won't show up any more. It took them a while to get to my account but they did eventually and I had to move the links to another site. It fortunately wasn't much of a problem as I had already been using another service since 2013 and had only a few pictures still on photobucket.
    Karritz wrote: »

They will gradually find you and then you photos won't show up any more. It took them a while to get to my account but they did eventually and I had to move the links to another site. It fortunately wasn't much of a problem as I had already been using another service since 2013 and had only a few pictures still on photobucket.
    Yes, I’m having no illusions in that department either...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Karritz wrote: »

I had to move 20,000 pictures from photobucket to flickr...that was a fun day!
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

-HD
    -64 Bit
    -Optimized
    -Etc.
    I said that genetics are more complex than the simple fruitfly based BB-Bb-bB-bb theory we learned at school (I actually only learned that quite recently myself). Now, it is a game, so it’s perfectly allright for it to not be as complex as reality, but in this case I feel it makes the reality of the game boring (the way it is in Sims 2, every couple ending up with kids that only show plain dominant outcome: brown eyes, brown hair). I’ve had discussions about this with people who know Sims 2 and that’s just how it works in a first generation family: if my sims get 100 kids together, they will all have brown eyes and brown hair. For me that’s boring. And it isn’t even realistic I stated, because irl brown eyed people can perfectly well get blue eyed kids. I even learned a while ago (and that’s in my link) that two brown eyed people can get a blue eyed kid, where I used to think that was only possible when the milkman had played a part in the play :p The fact reality is more complex, makes leaving out the fruitfly system a better decision for the game in my opinion. I love surprises and variety where it comes to offspring.

I don’t believe genetics were improved in Sims 3? At least, I’ve always read that Sims 3 doesn’t have a dominance-recessive system at all and that indeed is my experience as well (concerning eye and hair colour). As long as I remember people have been praising Sims 2 for having this system, considering the lack of it a flaw in Sims 3. So this aspect would be new information for me, Sims 3 having such a system. Is there actually something in Sims 3’s coding that supports this? I must say I’ve never noticed with all the kids born in my game. To me it seems a total tombola tbh.

Anyone who says that TS3 has any sort of recessive gene system is wishfully thinking. The closest thing it has is the chance to inherit a grandparent's hair or eye color. Whether or not someone prefers it to the TS2's simple Mendelian genetics is up to taste but TS3 makes it pretty simple and unrealistic (like passing down unnatural hair colors or greys).
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr