Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Food Stalls

I'm not sure if there has been a post about this already, but I do want to know, has anyone ever used the food stall items in City Living? Because I really cannot see the point of using them if I have to hire an NPC just to man the stalls. Logically speaking it does NOT make sense. I understand there are other items too that you need to hire NPCs, but you can actually use those items in certain lots and NPCs would just naturally spawn. However in the case of food stalls, there are no specific lot type that does not require you to hire NPCs.

So 1.) For those who have used these items, do you just use them for decorative purposes only? This is assuming you don't use mods. 2.) Is there a mod that will allow NPCs to spawn without me hiring? I understand there is a mod that will allow you to hire NPCs for free. I don't know, it still breaks my immersion if I have to hire someone to work for things I do not own. It is silly, let's admit it.

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If you are talking about food stalls that are already placed n the game, the game opens, mans and closes them. If you place a food stall somewhere, you will always need to hire someone.
  • estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If you are talking about food stalls that are already placed n the game, the game opens, mans and closes them. If you place a food stall somewhere, you will always need to hire someone.

Those that are already placed in the game are fine. But yeah, I am talking about if you build say a park, and you place a food stall in your park. I guess I am just curious as to how people are using them, or if they are being used at all. It's just something that bugs me, knowing I have this item seating in my list but it does not offer any good since it's function is pointless. I mean, I really want to use it, but I cannot see the logic as to why I would...

Those that are already placed in the game are fine. But yeah, I am talking about if you build say a park, and you place a food stall in your park. I guess I am just curious as to how people are using them, or if they are being used at all. It's just something that bugs me, knowing I have this item seating in my list but it does not offer any good since it's function is pointless. I mean, I really want to use it, but I cannot see the logic as to why I would...

I have placed a few, but I know I will have to hire a worker to open it. It should be fixed but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    edited October 2017

I have placed a few, but I know I will have to hire a worker to open it. It should be fixed but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for the info. It is rather sad that it feels like these things are no longer looked into. I was wondering is this also true for the bar stands in a spa lot? Because I heard that they were supposed to be manned as well, even if the lot is set to Spa?

Just a side note: it's things like this that makes me scared of new content coming out. Because it feels like things from the past are no longer fixed because they are already a thing in the past. I think the devs should fix the bugs from previous packs (yes, I am looking at you GTW) before they come out with new content. Otherwise make the new content as flawless as possible.

I remember one twitch stream from one of the MMOs I was playing, as they were introducing an up and coming DLC release for the game, players were just spamming for the devs to fix issues that that game had since launch. It was hilarious, but I thought it was rude for the players to do that. I understand them though, it was frustrating to still be seeing all these bugs that were reported tirelessly by players since launch. But I also understand the devs for that game though. It is an MMO, it is almost impossible for them to fix a game without causing another issue out of that fix. I just thought it wouldn't be the case for The Sims though.

I do wonder... Are we paying to play a broken game?
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member

I remember one twitch stream from one of the MMOs I was playing, as they were introducing an up and coming DLC release for the game, players were just spamming for the devs to fix issues that that game had since launch. It was hilarious, but I thought it was rude for the players to do that. I understand them though, it was frustrating to still be seeing all these bugs that were reported tirelessly by players since launch. But I also understand the devs for that game though. It is an MMO, it is almost impossible for them to fix a game without causing another issue out of that fix. I just thought it wouldn't be the case for The Sims though.

Yeah, the food stall thing is a little goofy. I don't think anything is "broken" there, per se....more like it was a design flaw where no one planned for that capability to be added to the stalls. Hard to compare this game to MMOs though...MMOs generally have a monthly sub fee...this game does not. So I'm not paying anything right now to play it. Now, there are definitely issues with paying for specific content (i.e., a particular pack) that has bugs and, therefore, paying for "broken" content that was purchased in the past. But it's a little different situation than a monthly sub game which requires additional payment just to maintain a sub.
    As long as they add them to new worlds, like they did with BB, they will be manned automatically. I can live with that.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    What I really don't like are the restrictions. I think it's ridiculous that simple stands require a hostess podium. If my sim just wants to walk up to an ice cream stand and get an icecream cone I can't do it. He has to be seated, have a waiter come over, place the order, sit and eat, and end the meal.

If they fixed that, we wouldn't need those other festival stands on lots. We should be able to create our own and set it up.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    What I really don't like are the restrictions. I think it's ridiculous that simple stands require a hostess podium. If my sim just wants to walk up to an ice cream stand and get an icecream cone I can't do it. He has to be seated, have a waiter come over, place the order, sit and eat, and end the meal.

If they fixed that, we wouldn't need those other festival stands on lots. We should be able to create our own and set it up.

I have no problem with the restaurant se up. Even if I have to use a podium in a fast food place, then they wear a themed costume. And I like the food stands. I do wish they would work autonomously when we place them, too.
    JimG72 wrote: »

Yeah, the food stall thing is a little goofy. I don't think anything is "broken" there, per se....more like it was a design flaw where no one planned for that capability to be added to the stalls. Hard to compare this game to MMOs though...MMOs generally have a monthly sub fee...this game does not. So I'm not paying anything right now to play it. Now, there are definitely issues with paying for specific content (i.e., a particular pack) that has bugs and, therefore, paying for "broken" content that was purchased in the past. But it's a little different situation than a monthly sub game which requires additional payment just to maintain a sub.

Actually most MMOs nowadays are B2P. As was the game I was playing. It used to be a sub game, then after a year they changed to a B2P set up.
    As long as they add them to new worlds, like they did with BB, they will be manned automatically. I can live with that.

I mean, yeah. I suppose I am just looking at it with a "builder's" mindset. hehe. And that's what frustrates me, is that I have this item as an option and there is nothing I can do with it. :(:neutral:
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited October 2017
    2.) Is there a mod that will allow NPCs to spawn without me hiring? I understand there is a mod that will allow you to hire NPCs for free. I don't know, it still breaks my immersion if I have to hire someone to work for things I do not own. It is silly, let's admit it.

I wish the stalls would auto-hire as well. I did make a few mods for this: some hire the NPC for free; others auto-call to certain lots. But DISCLAIMER I'm having computer issues so haven't been able to update the mods for a while (they still work as far as I'm aware). If anyone wants to adopt/copy/do some MOT/whatever on these mods it's fine with me. ;)

https://simsinthewoods.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/ts4-download-hire-market-vendors-for-free/

https://simsinthewoods.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/ts4-download-auto-npcs-barista-and-stall-vendor/
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Stalls should automatically hire vendors regardless of where in the world they're placed. When we first got CL i upgraded sooo many lots and parks I had in game with them, all excited that my sims will be able to just casually grab a hot dog while playing outside but then I just couldn't bother. 100 simoleons? No thank you. I mostly play families with standard modest income and I'm constantly saving for something so it's way too much. Luckily, we have mods for that but they SHOULD really change how this works.
    2.) Is there a mod that will allow NPCs to spawn without me hiring? I understand there is a mod that will allow you to hire NPCs for free. I don't know, it still breaks my immersion if I have to hire someone to work for things I do not own. It is silly, let's admit it.

I wish the stalls would auto-hire as well. I did make a few mods for this: some hire the NPC for free; others auto-call to certain lots. But DISCLAIMER I'm having computer issues so haven't been able to update the mods for a while (they still work as far as I'm aware). If anyone wants to adopt/copy/do some MOT/whatever on these mods it's fine with me. ;)

https://simsinthewoods.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/ts4-download-hire-market-vendors-for-free/

https://simsinthewoods.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/ts4-download-auto-npcs-barista-and-stall-vendor/

Thanks for the links and your dedication. I will check these mods out.
    agustd wrote: »
    Luckily, we have mods for that but they SHOULD really change how this works.

I agree. They really SHOULD take a look at this. I don't mind if they tie it with a lot type (like a park, for example). I was thinking what I can do with the stalls, but it's really hard to use them if they do not function logically and practically. I don't mind using mods, I will probably use the mod suggested above. And as much as I appreciate those mod creators, I shouldn't be forced to use mods in my game for it work properly. They really should look at previously made EP/GPs and fix the issues in those packs (GTW for example). Otherwise make these packs bug and glitch free, which is highly unlikely, because games will have bugs and glitches.

• RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I use Cinderellimouse mods for the food carts and they work really well love the mod
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member

Gonna grabs those ASAP! Thanks!
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I wish there was at least one lot type where the stalls would have an automatic vendor. Parks make sense. It makes zero sense to have to pay $100 to hire someone just so you can buy a single $6 coffee, lol!
    edited October 2017
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    I wish there was at least one lot type where the stalls would have an automatic vendor. Parks make sense. It makes zero sense to have to pay $100 to hire someone just so you can buy a single $6 coffee, lol!

This!!!

Just make one of the already existing lot types spawn an NPC for the stalls. So that they can be used. Otherwise there really is no point putting them as an item. They might as well should have made a decor under the decorations tab instead of the stalls, at least we could have used that item.

I will be honest, in TS4 I feel like they just put items like the food stalls, or those same silhouette shirts/pants/etc with different swatches, just so they can put in the description that they have over 45 items, when really it's just 15-20 items you can use.
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    edited October 2017
    I remember being annoyed a bit about this too when I first got the pack. Same with the barista bar that came in GT. While I have used a few on my builds - one at park, one at a museum - it always feels a bit strange to hire someone for $100 when you just want to buy a $10 meal. I'd enjoy it better if the vendor automatically spawned when I loaded my lot. It's not so much the money - all my sims have oodles - it's the inconvenience. But then I started to think of why would they do it this way, and came up with a theory: it's a deliberate way of deterring us from putting all of the stalls on one lot. Right now, there is a 20 sim limit for the lot plus public space, so if we were to put 15 food stalls on a lot, and a bar, and a cafe barista, that would mean the game could only generate 3 sims to visit the lot, and be in the surrounding public area. So I'm thinking all these restrictions they're placing on items is so we don't go overboard with everything on one lot, then sit there wondering why no sims are turning up to visit. Just a theory.

What I really wish though, is that our own sim could use them. If they've 'discovered' all the meals from that particular stall and know how to cook them, they could take their food stall into any of the public areas and sell to passersby, and earn some money. (they'd have to be made portable.) I think I'd have fun doing that with some of my sims. They'd be a lot more fun and useful.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    In the Cats&Dogs trailer we can see some new stalls (seafood? animal things?), it's a very good timing to patch in improved functionality for them. I don't want them to only work in Brindleton Bay and San Myshuno.

@Simalleyaile When I wanted my sim to learn all new stall recipes (was tired of waiting for certain ones to spawn) I placed them all on an empty lot an manually hired vendors. All of them+my sim and my game still spawned I think 5-8 sims who randomly came to order. No idea what was the limit for maximum number of sims on a lot though (it was in February this year) I've heard that it changed a few times already. Nowadays it would probably be less.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I remember being annoyed a bit about this too when I first got the pack. Same with the barista bar that came in GT. While I have used a few on my builds - one at park, one at a museum - it always feels a bit strange to hire someone for $100 when you just want to buy a $10 meal. I'd enjoy it better if the vendor automatically spawned when I loaded my lot. It's not so much the money - all my sims have oodles - it's the inconvenience. But then I started to think of why would they do it this way, and came up with a theory: it's a deliberate way of deterring us from putting all of the stalls on one lot. Right now, there is a 20 sim limit for the lot plus public space, so if we were to put 15 food stalls on a lot, and a bar, and a cafe barista, that would mean the game could only generate 3 sims to visit the lot, and be in the surrounding public area. So I'm thinking all these restrictions they're placing on items is so we don't go overboard with everything on one lot, then sit there wondering why no sims are turning up to visit. Just a theory.

What I really wish though, is that our own sim could use them. If they've 'discovered' all the meals from that particular stall and know how to cook them, they could take their food stall into any of the public areas and sell to passersby, and earn some money. (they'd have to be made portable.) I think I'd have fun doing that with some of my sims. They'd be a lot more fun and useful.
    They could just set a limit for how many npc's are spawned on a lot instead. They don't want to bother making the stalls versatile. I'd love to be able to customize community lots so I could decide exactly what kind of npc's I wanted on each of them.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I'm not sure if there has been a post about this already, but I do want to know, has anyone ever used the food stall items in City Living? Because I really cannot see the point of using them if I have to hire an NPC just to man the stalls. Logically speaking it does NOT make sense. I understand there are other items too that you need to hire NPCs, but you can actually use those items in certain lots and NPCs would just naturally spawn. However in the case of food stalls, there are no specific lot type that does not require you to hire NPCs.

So 1.) For those who have used these items, do you just use them for decorative purposes only? This is assuming you don't use mods. 2.) Is there a mod that will allow NPCs to spawn without me hiring? I understand there is a mod that will allow you to hire NPCs for free. I don't know, it still breaks my immersion if I have to hire someone to work for things I do not own. It is silly, let's admit it.

I don't mind hiring npcs to run them in other lots.

They could just set the limit of how many NPCs will spawn for the stall. They actually set the limit for the other items, like the bars and DJ booths. Also I would be fine if they tie this up with a lot type, say like in a park. Meaning, if you place this in a park it will spawn NPCs, but if you put it on other lot types it wont. It's how they do the cafe bar, right (I'm not 100% sure-- lol)? Your other suggestion is a good alternative. It would be nice to run those stalls too, and earn from them. I really just don't want an item that doesn't serve a purpose.
  • MerlinherkMerlinherk Posts: 38 Member
    I just want a produce/flower stand on edge my lot sell everything i harvest
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Merlinherk wrote: »
    I just want a produce/flower stand on edge my lot sell everything i harvest

Good ide!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »

I'd go with parks and pools for two venues where auto-vendors would make sense.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Has this ever been updated?
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***