Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Blog Pet Personalities (10-17-17)

2...Next

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I'm actually still speechless they literally said "We didn’t want players micro-managing their dogs and cats." Micro management is the foundation of The Sims.

And I feel really conflicted about this part
    "Beyond this, cats and dogs also have quirks. Perhaps your cat is fierce when it comes to something, but absolutely terrified of the TV? You’ll never 100% fully understand your cat and dog, which is why it’s worth investing a lifetime of love to discover everything."
    If I make a fierce cat then I don't want that cat to have quirks that go against the things I planned. Maybe once in a while it's fun, but what if I have a plan how I want to play a certain family?

I don't think any of the hidden traits will turn your pet into a different pet than you created. Plus, babies are given random traits anyway, so you have no control over that, either.

How are babies given random traits? Babies don’t have traits in TS4 and babies are only given negative traits if the Mother has a difficult pregnancy in The Sims 3.

I did raise an eyebrow when I read the part about not micro managing your pets. I mean it’s The Sims!

But my biggest worry is if the pets have the personality of Sims. We all know how well that worked out. Evil sims being nice, friendly and donating to buskers autonomously and all...

I think they are maybe trying to say that pets will be spontaneous and do unexpected things because our sims don’t. Perhaps that’s why they made them uncontrollable.

I’ll be honest at this stage, words won’t convince me. I want to see the game play.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    @MidnightAura or maybe they have learned their lesson after toddlers (toddlers have great personalities) were so well received. Plus traits that came later are generally better than the base game traits. I am just hoping...
  • AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    I'm actually still speechless they literally said "We didn’t want players micro-managing their dogs and cats." Micro management is the foundation of The Sims

I think for this iteration of pets they were leaning towards not just adding small furry sims to the household but creating something for our actual sims to enjoy. That seems like the biggest difference from the others. Trying to put more focus on the sims because of their emotion system and something to enrich the gameplay of the actual sim. It was an interesting design choice. I’m glad they’re doing it this way and I’m excited to see if the gameplay lives up to the hype.
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    I don't mean to judge other play styles.. but I just never understood why players want 100% control over every single thing that happens in the game. Then what's the point? Every previous iteration had surprises and things you couldn't control happen, and I found it totally enjoyable. It's what got me hooked on this series.

I do agree that this game needs to be more sensitive to the actual traits we give our sims, however. Many have commented that evil sims actually aren't evil.. and I'd agree with that. I am definitely team #moredeviance

But I like the fact that we can't control our pets and need to learn to read their needs and such. I'm looking forward to it!
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    I don't mean to judge other play styles.. but I just never understood why players want 100% control over every single thing that happens in the game. Then what's the point? Every previous iteration had surprises and things you couldn't control happen, and I found it totally enjoyable. It's what got me hooked on this series.

I do agree that this game needs to be more sensitive to the actual traits we give our sims, however. Many have commented that evil sims actually aren't evil.. and I'd agree with that. I am definitely team #moredeviance

But I like the fact that we can't control our pets and need to learn to read their needs and such. I'm looking forward to it!

Me too. So many people have been saying since the beginning of TS4, myself included, that we want more unexpected things to happen. Now dogs and cats are designed in a way that is said to create lots of funny and surprising situations. I'm all for it!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'm actually still speechless they literally said "We didn’t want players micro-managing their dogs and cats." Micro management is the foundation of The Sims.

"Beyond this, cats and dogs also have quirks. Perhaps your cat is fierce when it comes to something, but absolutely terrified of the TV? You’ll never 100% fully understand your cat and dog, which is why it’s worth investing a lifetime of love to discover everything."
    If I make a fierce cat then I don't want that cat to have quirks that go against the things I planned. Maybe once in a while it's fun, but what if I have a plan how I want to play a certain family?

I don't think any of the hidden traits will turn your pet into a different pet than you created. Plus, babies are given random traits anyway, so you have no control over that, either.

How are babies given random traits? Babies don’t have traits in TS4 and babies are only given negative traits if the Mother has a difficult pregnancy in The Sims 3.

I did raise an eyebrow when I read the part about not micro managing your pets. I mean it’s The Sims!

But my biggest worry is if the pets have the personality of Sims. We all know how well that worked out. Evil sims being nice, friendly and donating to buskers autonomously and all...

I think they are maybe trying to say that pets will be spontaneous and do unexpected things because our sims don’t. Perhaps that’s why they made them uncontrollable.

I’ll be honest at this stage, words won’t convince me. I want to see the game play.

That was about a pet cat that she had created with specific traits getting hidden traits that changed it's personality from the one she created.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

That was about a pet cat that she had created with specific traits getting hidden traits that changed it's personality from the one she created.

Ah didn’t realise it was about a pet. Apologies! I was very confused!