Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Technically Challenging EPs (Pets, Seasons?)

I wasn't sure what to title this or even where to put it, but I thought this might be the most relevant place.

In the live stream, I swear I heard Grant say that they'd been working on the EP for quite sometime (maybe years was mentioned) and that it takes so long to bring out a Pets' EP because they have to go back and reanimate everything that's already in the game.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in how I heard it, but that left me thinking that if that's the case, why aren't EPs, like Pets (maybe Seasons) some of the first to be made - or in the case of Seasons, put weather in the base game? Wouldn't it be easier to update items as they come out (new content) rather than having to essentially go through 3 years of content to make sure it all works together? Obviously, I have no clue about game development and I'm just speculating here, but it seems like leaving some of the bigger expansion packs until later in the series just creates more work for the developers?

Do you think it could be a marketing thing? Or a time factor - would Pets need to worked on alongside the base game (but isn't that usually the case with first EPs anyway?)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    edited October 2017
    I think I understand what you're saying, and I heard it the same way as you. What I took from what Grant said is that big features such as Pets and Seasons are some of the first to be in development. But because they are such big projects that require a lot of research, resources and animation they take years to be completed and released. I believe this pack has been worked on more or less since base game has been released (my own speculation).

Yes they do kind of make more work for themselves in a way because these packs take so long and need to be compatible with previous released packs, but they have to do it that way. If they held off production on every other pack until lets say Cat's and Dog's, for example, was completed we would likely still be left with the base game launch version of the game. I don't think people would have stuck around & EA need to keep people engaged in a game like this for it to do well.

And the reason in my mind that they don't make Pet's and/or Seasons a base game feature (besides from profit) is budget and deadlines. Every DLC has a budget and deadline to align to and it is the same for Base Game. These are two things that Sims 4's base game already lacked significantly hence all of the games cutbacks - Ghosts, pools & toddlers being left out of launch. EA simply didn't give the Gurus the time and budget to do it, let alone add extra gameplay features.

Just my thoughts on it :)
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm glad I'm making some sort of sense @Callum2000! Interesting and insightful points you made, but isn't a new base game usually in production about 2 years into current iterations. I feel like that leaves at least 3 years to work on content, but like you said, it probably comes down to budget and deadlines, but what if it also resources (developers).

An ex-producer did say they tried to put weather in the base game (of TS3), but couldn't get it stop snowing inside in time for launch. I'm still holding out hope for the future that they may be able to make this happen. Seasons could be about so much more than just the weather.

You're probably right that C&D has been worked on since the beginning; it just feels like a lot of work for them to do, but perhaps, it would be much more work to have it released as the first EPs.

Edited: for clarity about which base game weather was trying to be added to.
    Post edited by aricarai on
  • Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    edited October 2017
    aricarai wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm making some sort of sense @Callum2000! Interesting and insightful points you made, but isn't a new base game usually in production about 2 years into current iterations. I feel like that leaves at least 3 years to work on content, but like you said, it probably comes down to budget and deadlines, but what if it also resources (developers).

An ex-producer did say they tried to put weather in the base game, but couldn't get it stop snowing inside in time for launch. I'm still holding out hope for the future that they may be able to make this happen. Seasons could be about so much more than just the weather.

You're probably right that C&D has been worked on since the beginning; it just feels like a lot of work for them to do, but perhaps, it would be much more work to have it released as the first EPs.

That's interesting, I never knew weather was once intended to be in a Base Game. For Sims 4 I think it was definitely a no-go since they couldn't even complete the base game properly, but maybe they could do it for a future Sims game. The only way I would see that happening though is if there was a few years break between Sims 4 and 5 instead of just one year like usual. Or if Sims 4 had a shorter life span but the guru's have said plenty of times that they have a good future planned for Sims 4 with lots of packs, I don't see it ending anytime soon.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I think they do work on it from the start but they probably don't have the people to spare to work on it before the base game is released. They would have needed people to work on the base game as well as having different teams working on EPs and GPs that can be released within the first year. Once the base game is released then it should become easier to have people working on multiple EPs at once.
  • beladanibeladani Posts: 61 Member
    I think the toddler patch was a huge project, and cats and dogs is even bigger. I have a feeling they already working on several EPs, GPs. They just don't have time to take a rest.
    pncFLnjBj
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    An ex-producer did say they tried to put weather in the base game, but couldn't get it stop snowing inside in time for launch.

Just a clarification - This was actually about Sims 2, not Sims 4, and it was about rain, not snow. You can read about it here if you'd like :Rain in Sims 2 Base Game
    An ex-producer did say they tried to put weather in the base game, but couldn't get it stop snowing inside in time for launch.

Just a clarification - This was actually about Sims 2, not Sims 4, and it was about rain, not snow. You can read about it here if you'd like :Rain in Sims 2 Base Game

Sorry I should have clarified...I was talking about TS3 when I said that. There was an AMA on reddit with the ex-producer. I'll fix my post.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Also, I want to remind everyone that TS4 BG was originally meant to be an online game. So with time constraints, I’m assuming a budget that was limited cause they spent some of it on the online game and the fact that they had to scrap everything and build an actual sims game C&D probably wasn’t even a thought in their mind at that point in time. However after all of the craziness I think that’s when they started. Pets was always the type of EP that they work on in the beginning because they’re practically creating something from nothing. There wasn’t anything in the game files or models to do any animation work for Pets. So as much time as it took for them to make a sims game that’s roughly what it is. I think of it as them creating an entire system for pets.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I totally understand what you mean: They should release Seasons and Pets from the start so they don't have to go back through years of content to update for Seasons and Pets.
    But I think it is pretty impossible for them to have Seasons from the start. It's an expansion that probably takes years to make. And for them to create such an EP, they need an actual base game to build on. So EA would have to have the base game ready a few years in advance? I'm not an expert, just speculating.
    It would be ideal if Seasons could be implemented in the base game in TS5. I think that could be less struggle for the development team, but they probably miss some profit by doing that.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • KokoaMilkKokoaMilk Posts: 267 Member
    My two cents about this.
    If the reason why The Sims is still a production made of several packs can't be the main motivation that leads producer to still cross this path.
    If I'd be in the team, I would think about releasing a base game with all the features that made The Sims the precious thing it is and releasing always different packs.

For example:

The PERFECT Sims Base Game would include all life stages (from newborn to elder); it would include weather, season, businesses and works. And this just because it's now 20 years that we use and expect to have those features. Does this mean you gave everything in a base game? NOPE.
    This means that you have PLENTY of chance to create amazing new packages that are not missing pieces of a premade puzzle: this means that you are creating something really ENGAGING that I can't wait to buy because it is new and will take me glued to the PC all day.

That said, The Sims is a money making machine. I would be yet working on TS5, to be honest, and I would work on it for years just to deliver a full base game and to sell a very complete product that can be upgraded with every new pack.

And to reply to the thread's title: yes, making PETS or SEASON is technically challenging FOR SURE but it is not something that would lead me to justify certain decisions taken by TS team and marketing division.

(that's all folks, aaaand sorry for my bad english!)
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    KokoaMilk wrote: »
    My two cents about this.
    If the reason why The Sims is still a production made of several packs can't be the main motivation that leads producer to still cross this path.
    If I'd be in the team, I would think about releasing a base game with all the features that made The Sims the precious thing it is and releasing always different packs.

For example:

The PERFECT Sims Base Game would include all life stages (from newborn to elder); it would include weather, season, businesses and works. And this just because it's now 20 years that we use and expect to have those features. Does this mean you gave everything in a base game? NOPE.
    This means that you have PLENTY of chance to create amazing new packages that are not missing pieces of a premade puzzle: this means that you are creating something really ENGAGING that I can't wait to buy because it is new and will take me glued to the PC all day.

That said, The Sims is a money making machine. I would be yet working on TS5, to be honest, and I would work on it for years just to deliver a full base game and to sell a very complete product that can be upgraded with every new pack.

And to reply to the thread's title: yes, making PETS or SEASON is technically challenging FOR SURE but it is not something that would lead me to justify certain decisions taken by TS team and marketing division.

Very well said! I completely agree and these have been my same thoughts for a while now. People are tired of having to buy the same stuff over and over BUT we still want that content in the game. I honestly think if Sims 5 doesn't include weather in the base game, I won't even be getting it. It should just be there. Seasons wouldn't necessarily have to be base game, but at the very least it should rain some times. I don't care if this delays the release of Sims 5. I would wait for that base game that made me truly love the Sims again. And I would definitely buy the expansion content if it was new and interesting in some way. I haven't enjoyed Pets in the past three versions, so why would I bother with that again? I will wait for a sale to get it, IF I buy it at all. Something like Pets will probably always be expansion content, but they could easily include small pets in a base game and Dogs, cats, etc later on. Anyway yes, I think even something challenging like weather should be included in future base games.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    I think making seasons & pets would be hard for the base game. but.. I don't think basic weather like rain would be hard at all because wouldn't it just be some simple effects? I think seasonal changes (winter, summer, spring, fall) are def hard because all the worlds have to be coded to show that change plus the work into making festival holidays.
    My two cents about this.

For example:

THIS ^^ This is exactly what I mean!

Oh and for anyone that's interested, the references for weather in the base game for TS3 are discussed here with a link to the source in that thread.
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    My two cents about this.

For example:

Very well said! I completely agree and these have been my same thoughts for a while now. People are tired of having to buy the same stuff over and over BUT we still want that content in the game. I honestly think if Sims 5 doesn't include weather in the base game, I won't even be getting it. It should just be there. Seasons wouldn't necessarily have to be base game, but at the very least it should rain some times. I don't care if this delays the release of Sims 5. I would wait for that base game that made me truly love the Sims again. And I would definitely buy the expansion content if it was new and interesting in some way. I haven't enjoyed Pets in the past three versions, so why would I bother with that again? I will wait for a sale to get it, IF I buy it at all. Something like Pets will probably always be expansion content, but they could easily include small pets in a base game and Dogs, cats, etc later on. Anyway yes, I think even something challenging like weather should be included in future base games.

I feel the same exact way! I would totally wait for a full, enriched, complete base game!
    ohmyohmy wrote: »
    I think making seasons & pets would be hard for the base game. but.. I don't think basic weather like rain would be hard at all because wouldn't it just be some simple effects? I think seasonal changes (winter, summer, spring, fall) are def hard because all the worlds have to be coded to show that change plus the work into making festival holidays.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant weather in the base game. The Seasons EP could be about so much more than weather, so I think it (weather) should be in the base game! I don't know if it would be harder or more time consuming to have to code everything new that comes out (if weather was in base game) or code everything that's already in the game (if weather came with a Season EP later in the series).
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited October 2017
    On rain being part of the base game:

Sims 2 was supposed to have rain and storms in the base game, and one trailer even showed it. But there was a bug they couldn't fix, so they had to remove it until Seasons.

So yeah, if they could've included rain in Sims 2's base, I think it's fair game for a future title's base. Right now I don't think they'd do that, but it's in the realm of possibility.

Edit: Here's a clip of the beta version of Sims 2 in 2003. Rain appears around the 7-minute mark. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxObHoi_T7k
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited October 2017

An ex-producer did say they tried to put weather in the base game (of TS3), but couldn't get it stop snowing inside in time for launch. I'm still holding out hope for the future that they may be able to make this happen. Seasons could be about so much more than just the weather.

It was rain. Rain was going to be in the base game, not snow or any other seasons or weather.

They take years to make. Pets likely started production at the same time as base game launched. If we waited then we wouldnt even have Sims 4 yet, and the game would cost over a hundred dollars.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

It was rain. Rain was going to be in the base game, not snow or any other seasons or weather.

They take years to make. Pets likely started production at the same time as base game launched. If we waited then we wouldnt even have Sims 4 yet, and the game would cost over a hundred dollars.

Maybe in TS2 @Zeldaboy180, but TS3 was snow.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    ohmyohmy wrote: »

Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant weather in the base game. The Seasons EP could be about so much more than weather, so I think it (weather) should be in the base game! I don't know if it would be harder or more time consuming to have to code everything new that comes out (if weather was in base game) or code everything that's already in the game (if weather came with a Season EP later in the series).

Oh. :) I def think weather in the base game is possible because previous sims games were going to have basic weather. I don't think it would be a stretch!
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    My two cents about this.

For example:

Sounds ideal but rather unrealistic. There will always be a budget and a deadline, people, unless we're talking about GTA haha

To me, I don't think that getting the traditional stuff from the start would be enough if the base game is not fun in itself. We could have pets, seasons and even supernaturals there but it won't matter if it doesn't make a compelling whole. The Sims 2 did it very well, compared with Sims 3 base game, as an example, that had 10x more features and yet felt incomplete. Quality overcomes quantity and a good creative direction means we need less of the latter to get the first.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    Technically they should have made pets and seasons a part of the base game, but sadly they didn't because I heard they omitted lots of things due to the Sims 4 originally being made for online play. It all didn't pan out so they kept what they did and went from there.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited October 2017

I promise you, it was rain. They had issues with rain spawning in doors which would cause puddles inside, even through roofs.

e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

I promise you, it was rain. They had issues with rain spawning in doors which would cause puddles inside, even through roofs.

Okay @Zeldaboy180, I was just going off of the link I posted above with the AMA on reddit from the ex-producer, but if you say rain, that's fine too. The point is, they tried to put weather, something other than sun, in the base game!
  • NaomiSImblrNaomiSImblr Posts: 158 Member
    All I know is if they ever did a Sims 5 I would play it for the first few years until the main expansions were added like seasons and pets etc its a pain starting from scratch buying all the games again. I think in another 2 years sims4 will have so much more content and gameplay everyone will have something for them like builders family players supernatural players but its the time it takes to get there you end up buying packs just to add a little bit more and more.

I've played Sims since Sims 1 and I cant believe its took this long to get to this point in the game I love the Sims 4 and ilove where its heading but its just taking a long time to get to where it needs to be