Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    Seasons could be a game pack. All we need is weather and the various holidays to go with it. There you go, seasons. Then they could release 2 extra vacations world's snowy and beach with activities relating to each. Just make sure they include the cute season chooser thing they had for sims 2 for all of the world's we already have. I'd rather have the gameplay than another world. There is already so much to do with building but playing gets boring it's just family play over and over. We need hobbies and more vacation spots. Make it an EP and most of the effort is put into the world. The vampire game pack was awesome how it should be. Seasons doesn't have to be an EP.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    MrJessXD wrote: »
    Seasons could be a game pack. All we need is weather and the various holidays to go with it. There you go, seasons. Then they could release 2 extra vacations world's snowy and beach with activities relating to each. Just make sure they include the cute season chooser thing they had for sims 2 for all of the world's we already have. I'd rather have the gameplay than another world. There is already so much to do with building but playing gets boring it's just family play over and over. We need hobbies and more vacation spots. Make it an EP and most of the effort is put into the world. The vampire game pack was awesome how it should be. Seasons doesn't have to be an EP.

Considering the algorithms required to trigger weather, and the vast number of visual alterations to anything when it's outdoors, but not when it's indoors, and new animations for playing in different types of weather, and reactions to weather, that's a pretty big 'all you need'.

It's almost insane to say it could be a game pack, turned out in less than a year.

Most of the effort for C&D, by the way, was put into the CAP and behavioural programming, not the world or objects.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

Considering the algorithms required to trigger weather, and the vast number of visual alterations to anything when it's outdoors, but not when it's indoors, and new animations for playing in different types of weather, and reactions to weather, that's a pretty big 'all you need'.

It's almost insane to say it could be a game pack, turned out in less than a year.

Most of the effort for C&D, by the way, was put into the CAP and behavioural programming, not the world or objects.

Okay then a really really in-depth EP but it still doesn't need a world I'd rather have the vacation spots. The game packs seem to be better for your money and gameplay than the EPs anyway. And yes they seem to have done a very good job with cats and dogs but the sims themselves are hobby less and put them in a room together they just stand doing nothing or navigate to the pc. They don't interact and frankly not much to do other than run a business. A world seems to fill out an EP instead of adding new gameplay.

Okay then a really really in-depth EP but it still doesn't need a world I'd rather have the vacation spots. The game packs seem to be better for your money and gameplay than the EPs anyway. And yes they seem to have done a very good job with cats and dogs but the sims themselves are hobby less and put them in a room together they just stand doing nothing or navigate to the pc. They don't interact and frankly not much to do other than run a business. A world seems to fill out an EP instead of adding new gameplay.

Worlds take less time than you'd think. They have the engine. All that remains is to position where the lots are, and make sure it looks good to showcase new items, in the same way we build a good house. We got a perfectly functional little world in Outdoor Retreat, but the gameplay revolved around vacations.

You're absolutely right that Seasons doesn't need a world to come with it. But worlds also aren't all that tough to build now that the engine is ready for it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited November 2017
    Oh.. superheroes? I'm sorry but.. no.

I will say that this series has had the best supernatural packs so far. I hesitate to say supernatural sims in general because, to me, aliens could have been more in depth had they gotten their own pack.

But despite that, supernatural play gets boring to me, and just isn't replayable. I still understand that this iteration has had the best.. but it just isn't my style.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'll give up a new world (and I'm a more worlds please kind of guy) for more in depth seasons an holidays.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I'll give up a new world (and I'm a more worlds please kind of guy) for more in depth seasons an holidays.

I would too, and I say this as someone who is buying C&D mainly for the world.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I am happy that it's something different and not the same ol repetition of packs. We definitely need an new system
    Quit saying that it's okay to give up a world or that's what you'll get. I accept that Seasons won't need a world to show itself, but that doesn't mean I like the idea of giving one up.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Quit saying that it's okay to give up a world or that's what you'll get. I accept that Seasons won't need a world to show itself, but that doesn't mean I like the idea of giving one up.

Haha this^ We need all the worlds we can get until they release a CAW tool.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't TS2 seasons come with a new world?
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Seasons or Uni.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member

I agree, i think individually each season could be a gp but i dont think many people would like that myself included
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

Haha this^ We need all the worlds we can get until they release a CAW tool.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't TS2 seasons come with a new world?

Yeah it came with a farming town called Riverblossom. I think that was the thing to do back then. Each EP came with a new world because the devs wanted to showcase what was new about the pack in one place. For Seasons it was the new gardening system and I believe fishing as well. Hence why a farming town was created to show those off. Oh and plantsims were new and they showed that new feature by having a playable household that had at least two plantsims.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    ummmm....probably Seasons
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    SimGuruGrant said on the latest livestream that possibly the next(?) EP could be an idea that he really wants to make, but he ruled out that it would be a dystopian fallout-esque pack or any sort of disaster survival pack, so what could he have been talking about? I don't think it's seasons because that's such a standard EP he wouldn't make a fuss over it, and thanks to SimGuruSarah's tweet we know University isn't in the works, and I don't think they would do another animal based pack like Horses or farming immediately after C&D, so I think it could be a whole new theme all together.

Yeah, I heard that too. It sounded like something we have never had in the Sims before and something he has wanted to make for a real long time. Seeing he worked on both the Sims 2 and 3 and Sims 4 - I could not imagine what it could possibly be that we have never touched on in the Sims - but it sounds intriguing. I had to laugh though as no one seemed to acknowledge this was said and all I see all over the place is people thinking Seasons were next - but some did think it was odd he had said C&D was the last big pack. Says they heard that anyway - but when no one brought up what else Grant had said - I was beginning to think maybe I imagined he said that or something.

Glad to see it was not my imagination and someone else heard it too. LOL.

I am very much interested in learning what it could be and the idea that something we've never had is enticing anyway.

Thank you for posting this.

ETA - I did not see Sim Guru Sarahs tweet. That makes me sad - no Uni!?! She said that? That's a bummer and one of my favorite things in the Sims. So much for "Smart Technology" when Sims can't even get higher learning. Shesh.

Now I'm bumming.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited December 2017
    SGG worked a lot on Medieval, and there's all sorts of callbacks to it in 4. He's also said he's a big fan of mid-century design. Maybe a Time Travel pack?
    Can you imagine a 1950's style Sims world?

I always wanted a time travel pack. I loved Into the Future but I really wished we could go back in the past more. The Time machine didn't do it for me. I wanted to go with the sim to those places.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited December 2017
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I could see them splitting season up into several GP's

I don't see that at all, as the selling point of the gps is a single theme done indepth in one pack. So I am pretty certain a gp will not be on seasons. In the past Seasons has been as big as pets. Don't forget - they never once indicated they would do a seasons in Sims 4. That's just us wanting and expecting it. Not them indicating they would ever do it. I am still shocked over hearing there'd be no Uni in sims 4 - so not getting Seasons wouldn't be a surprise as I am sure Uni would be easier than Seasons by a long shot. This really bums me as Uni is my fav pack. I was hoping to get dorms and apts we could build, bands finally - etc - and higher learning. Heck with seasons.

Good thing the new thing is going to be something we've never had - maybe I will like it. As I am sort of bumming right now.

Gee maybe the new pack is Hogwarts school for Wizards. I could see Grant doing something like that. I'd love that idea for sure. Didn't he do the Wizard in Medieval? or am I mistaken? EA does have the rights to Harry Potter stuff as they made the Harry Potter games - so it shouldn't be a rights issue....

In dreams - I LIVE!

Cynna wrote: »
    SimGuruGrant said on the latest livestream that possibly the next(?) EP could be an idea that he really wants to make, but he ruled out that it would be a dystopian fallout-esque pack or any sort of disaster survival pack, so what could he have been talking about? I don't think it's seasons because that's such a standard EP he wouldn't make a fuss over it, and thanks to SimGuruSarah's tweet we know University isn't in the works, and I don't think they would do another animal based pack like Horses or farming immediately after C&D, so I think it could be a whole new theme all together.

Pets is also a standard. Yet, did you see how excited those three gurus in the live stream were about making it?

Seasons is a good pack to get excited about because, even though snow, rain, and wind don't change, there are myriad ways to implement them. There are essentially uncountable ways of enjoying each season that doesn't necessarily have to be a rehash of what came before. For example, to my knowledge, The Sims series has never had skiing or snowmobiles. To my knowledge, the Sim series has never had an official water park, including attractions such as whales and dolphins and seals that do tricks. There's been no parasailing, no snow boarding, no pets rolling and burying their noses in the snow, no toddlers falling over with their cute little snowsuits and diaper bottoms covered in a crust of snow. I also don't remember having volley ball or tennis, no tree climbing for coconuts and cracking them open for refreshing drinks and tasty Caribbean food, no body surfing, no deep sea fishing for swordfish, marlin, or tuna, with subsequent new recipes. There haven't been cruise ships, whale watching, banana boat rides with family and friends. There's been no steel drum instrument. No ukuleles.

There's so much that could be done in brand new worlds with huge 64x64 lots everywhere which would have room for grander activities.

Mind you, I don't think that we'll ever get any of the things that I've mentioned. I mentioned them just to illustrate that Seasons entails a lot of things, not just weather. It's about the activities, it's about the atmosphere. If the developers aren't still excited about exploring the unexplored, Houston, we've got a problem.

We've had snow boarding in the Winter Vacation of Sims 1. We had Badminton/ beach Volley ball in Sims 1. Carribean food was in Bon Voyage in Sims 2. There was sort of parasailing and I think whale watching in Bon Voyage - but we didn't technically see it - it was part of the side trips and side quests of tours etc to take - it had chance cards. There were all kinds of things they supposedly did - but we didn't see it - just sort of had choices and either rewards or penalties and pictures. You have to book the tours on the tropical vacations to see it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Just to shed some light on game development and be technical, he's most likely referring to the expansion AFTER the next one, because he said he THINKS they might do it next.

The next expansion pack is definitely already in the works. They work on multiple packs at a time.

Edit: I don't know where you got that they only work one on pack at a time. They definitely work on multiple.

Oh I thought I read Graham say that only SP's were worked on multiples at a time, and the bigger packs only went into development one at a time. I guess not! :confounded:

He did. In Sims 2 and 3 they worked on multiple packs - is probably where people get that.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    I think it's superheroes. Grant looks to me like a superhero lover type of dude.
    Moreover, superheroes were in one of the first surveys.

Please, no.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I could see them splitting season up into several GP's

I think you'd have a riot in the community -- if you wanted all 4 seasons you'd end up paying twice as much as a single Seasons EP cost. I could see the possibility of maybe getting seasonal vacation worlds once the actual weather programming is completed, so if your game couldn't handle the higher specs for all four seasons in the home worlds, you could still get, say, a Winter holiday pack at a ski resort or the much requested Tropical Vacation pack.

I could see Seasons combined with the much requested farming/rural pack, with enhancements for gardening (maybe gardening robots to weed/water/harvest plants, with a random chance of them ruining some plants unless you upgrade them) and more plants. Greenhouses for growing during winter. More recipes and maybe the canning and/or nectar making that was suggested in the runup to what became Laundry Day SP. If we get the canning there should be an option to use canned produce in place of fresh to reduce cost/increase quality of prepared food. (A dish made with Good or Excellent canned produce, for example, would have higher quality than one made from Normal fresh produce.) And if Seasons brings back gift-giving, homemade gifts like canned produce, jams and jellies, and nectar could be given as gifts.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I agree that we don't need a new world (we didn't get a new world with Sims 3 Seasons) but I think the programming is way more complicated than you think, especially if you want the weather to reflect the worlds. Worlds like Windenburg would be a lot snowier than Oasis Springs, and Newcrest/Brindleton Bay/Willow Creek would fall somewhere in the middle. Forgotten Hollow could be really gloomy with a lot of fog and maybe some thunderstorms for effect (the fog could also be designed to block out the sun so vampires without sun resistance can be out and about more). That also brings up another issue: reactions of Sims to weather and how clothing interacts is something else that needs to be programmed. CAS is pretty much going to have to redesigned to indicate what clothing is appropriate to hot weather and what's good for cold weather, possibly even a new Outerwear category. A Sim who goes out in an ugly Christmas sweater in peak summer should overheat way faster than one in tank top and shorts. (Maybe a "weather resistant" purchaseable trait?) As well you'll have to account for weather impacts on current supernaturals -- aliens and vampires. Probably a lot of other programming I'm overlooking, but there's going to be a lot of "under the hood" activity that might be beyond the scope of a GP.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited December 2017

I agree that we don't need a new world (we didn't get a new world with Sims 3 Seasons) but I think the programming is way more complicated than you think, especially if you want the weather to reflect the worlds. Worlds like Windenburg would be a lot snowier than Oasis Springs, and Newcrest/Brindleton Bay/Willow Creek would fall somewhere in the middle. Forgotten Hollow could be really gloomy with a lot of fog and maybe some thunderstorms for effect (the fog could also be designed to block out the sun so vampires without sun resistance can be out and about more). That also brings up another issue: reactions of Sims to weather and how clothing interacts is something else that needs to be programmed. CAS is pretty much going to have to redesigned to indicate what clothing is appropriate to hot weather and what's good for cold weather, possibly even a new Outerwear category. A Sim who goes out in an ugly Christmas sweater in peak summer should overheat way faster than one in tank top and shorts. (Maybe a "weather resistant" purchaseable trait?) As well you'll have to account for weather impacts on current supernaturals -- aliens and vampires. Probably a lot of other programming I'm overlooking, but there's going to be a lot of "under the hood" activity that might be beyond the scope of a GP.

There goes everyones CC again. LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

There goes everyones CC again. LOL.

We've been there before and we'll be there again and again. Hopefully, this time, EA will do the work instead of leaving it up to the players/modders.

It was so obnoxious that the CAS items that clearly looked like outerwear were not re-categorized as outerwear once the Seasons EPs were released.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I hope Seasons has no world I'd gladly "give up" a world for the budget to be spent on game play instead of getting another world that offers nothing but space and new backdrops I need things to do in the worlds we already have.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"