Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dogs & Dogs

Comments

• Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    So, a dog house is not included because it is considered cruel? But a cat on a Roomba banging against walls is not?

Cruel to whom? The cat can jump off any time it wants. And the Roomba has no feelings.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    So, a dog house is not included because it is considered cruel? But a cat on a Roomba banging against walls is not?

Who said that dog houses weren't included because it's too cruel? The gurus still haven't said why they didn't include it and with yesterday's trailer it shows that maybe it's because we can make our own. We still need to have the ability to put roofs on half walls and have seperate foundations for rooms for it to work though.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »

Cruel to whom? The cat can jump off any time it wants. And the Roomba has no feelings.

I was referring to the cat being banged against the wall from the Roomba. That is animal cruelty
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »

I was referring to the cat being banged against the wall from the Roomba. That is animal cruelty

Yes but the cat can still jump off its not tied to the roomba
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Cats can sleep on beds dogs can’t. Also I don’t think it’s bad that the gurus were dog lovers, they did spend a lot of time with cats, they created Garfield and the chesire cat from alice in wonderland. The thing is that people were more interested in looking at dogs anyway. They have more breeds, sizes and in general people tend to lean towards dogs more often than cats.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    What I don't understand is that people, who miss old features are against new ones. Yes, I want dog houses, but I mean I gladly take a roomba.
    It's not about being against new features in general. But the Gurus always say how much work everything is and that they cut out certain things in exchange for others (like no small animals because they want to focus on only cats and dogs). So it seems like we have to decide between things. And if we take your example then it's about wanting a dog house that's one of the most basic pet things you can think of versus the option that cats can ride on a roomba which is based on memes from about 8 years ago.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I'm a dog person but I plan on making a crazy cat gentlemen, so I hope they're just as fleshed out as dogs.
  • Options
    fruitsmisfruitsmis Posts: 82 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I actually think the roomba will be very useful for my game. Kids make a lot of messes and so does Toddlers and it only gets worse with pets lol. I know we can have maids and butlers but I don't want all my sims to have maids and butlers so instead I'll give them roombas.

I agree!
    I find toddlers and kids are ALWAYS making a mess and some of my families can't afford a maid and/or butler so I'll be looking at a roomba being a good investment
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    It's not about being against new features in general. But the Gurus always say how much work everything is and that they cut out certain things in exchange for others (like no small animals because they want to focus on only cats and dogs). So it seems like we have to decide between things.
    There's nothing being "cut out". This EP didn't exist before they started development on it. It's a new game with a new game engine. It's not like expansions from TS2 or TS3 just get ported into the new game engine. These packs have a production budget and they can't include everything they'd like to include.
    And if we take your example then it's about wanting a dog house that's one of the most basic pet things you can think of versus the option that cats can ride on a roomba which is based on memes from about 8 years ago.
    Is it really though? Maybe 15-20 years ago. It seems pretty rare to see an actual doghouse these days.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    It's not about being against new features in general. But the Gurus always say how much work everything is and that they cut out certain things in exchange for others (like no small animals because they want to focus on only cats and dogs). So it seems like we have to decide between things.
    There's nothing being "cut out". This EP didn't exist before they started development on it. It's a new game with a new game engine. It's not like expansions from TS2 or TS3 just get ported into the new game engine. These packs have a production budget and they can't include everything they'd like to include.
    And if we take your example then it's about wanting a dog house that's one of the most basic pet things you can think of versus the option that cats can ride on a roomba which is based on memes from about 8 years ago.
    Is it really though? Maybe 15-20 years ago. It seems pretty rare to see an actual doghouse these days.

1) The devs have talked about creating lists of features that they want to include in the game. At some point, they are discussed and may be removed or "cut out" from the list. To think that an item like a doghouse was never even thought about is unrealistic.

2) Maybe where you have lived there haven't been many doghouses, but I assure you, many are still in use or they wouldn't still be sold on line and in stores.
  • Options
    ashleyl2203ashleyl2203 Posts: 322 Member
    I hope there's a mod to make it so dogs can sleep on the bed too if they truly cannot. Mine do in real life.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I hope there's a mod to make it so dogs can sleep on the bed too if they truly cannot. Mine do in real life.

I think if anything , I’m more likely to sleep on the floor than my dog.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Looking forward to seeing what my future cats will get up to because I love having cats and I think my sims will love them too.

I really liked the stream, the guys were open and having fun which is what I hoped for. I didn't get the impression that they didn't like cats or were mean to them. Hmm... they were clearly dog lovers and that is just fine. For me I got the impression they they were being themselves and having fun, for me there is honesty in that. We could have gotten carefully scripted pr-speak instead. I am a cat-person and perhaps I sync a little bit more with another group but that is just fine for me.

This is something that I actually like with the streams, that they are shaped by the people willing to go before the camera. Sometimes we like the same things and have the same humor but I have always enjoyed them.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

Hang on. You want a dog house, but you don't want a cat riding a Roomba because... it's unoriginal?

Okay, then.

This. I'd take a Roomba riding cat over a dog house any day. And Roombas are becoming more common in today's hectic paced lifestyles.

“Life changing!” “Blows our minds.” “[M]y favorite purchase in a very long time.” The effusive user testimonials of iRobot’s Roomba robot vacuum cleaners highlight a notable trend in the increasing popularity of automated household cleaning technology. According to InvestorPlace, iRobot Corp.’s U.S. revenues rose “an astounding 46 percent year-over-year” by July 2017 based in part on the growing consumer embrace of the Internet of Things (IoT) and smart home-capable appliances. By August, the company’s stock had soared 165 percent over the 12-month period, making Motley Fool’s top 10 list. Wall Street is predictably enthusiastic, inspiring one analyst to declare, “The robot revolution is just getting started.” October 13, 2017

http://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/internet-of-clean-how-robots-are-revolutionizing-and-automating-commercial-and-residential-maintenance_o
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    edited October 2017
    I've always felt that cats and dogs were pretty equal in previous games, it still looks so to me in TS4. To be honest, I think cats even got a little more of attention, sice they had more toys, scratcher, and that fancy cat box for points.
  • Options
    I've always felt that cats and dogs were pretty equal in previous games, it still looks so to me in TS4. To be honest, I think cats even got a little more of attention, sice they had more toys, scratcher, and that fancy cat box for points.

They also got three cat trees, a poo disintegrator, beds or can sleep on human beds and a giant stuffed cat. Dogs got no doghouse, poo outside, beds (maybe, haven't seen any yet) but can't sleep on human beds and no giant stuffed dog.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    What I don't understand is that people, who miss old features are against new ones. Yes, I want dog houses, but I mean I gladly take a roomba.
    It's not about being against new features in general. But the Gurus always say how much work everything is and that they cut out certain things in exchange for others (like no small animals because they want to focus on only cats and dogs). So it seems like we have to decide between things. And if we take your example then it's about wanting a dog house that's one of the most basic pet things you can think of versus the option that cats can ride on a roomba which is based on memes from about 8 years ago.

I have to tell you, most people I know, don't have a dog house. In fact, even those people who's dogs are outside dogs, don't have doghouses, they have kennels. Which we can make in game. I don't think I've seen a house with an actual dog house since I was a kid, and that was almost three decades ago. I'll admit, it might be different in the US, but as far as I'm concerned, roombas are a lot more common than doghouses.
  • Options
    liliaeth wrote: »

I have to tell you, most people I know, don't have a dog house. In fact, even those people who's dogs are outside dogs, don't have doghouses, they have kennels. Which we can make in game. I don't think I've seen a house with an actual dog house since I was a kid, and that was almost three decades ago. I'll admit, it might be different in the US, but as far as I'm concerned, roombas are a lot more common than doghouses.
    I doubt there are statistics but there's no way Roombas are more common than dog houses. Just no.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    liliaeth wrote: »

I doubt there are statistics but there's no way Roombas are more common than dog houses. Just no.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Apparently 20% of the world vacuums are now robots (Source) and the percentage of households owning a dog is 44% in the US (Source) and 24% in the UK (Source.

It doesn't seem so far-fetched that Roombas would be as common as dog houses, or more, especially in the UK. And the more your dogs stay inside, the less you'll need a dog house, and the more you'll need a Roomba :lol:
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

They also got three cat trees, a poo disintegrator, beds or can sleep on human beds and a giant stuffed cat. Dogs got no doghouse, poo outside, beds (maybe, haven't seen any yet) but can't sleep on human beds and no giant stuffed dog.

For me it's not the things we get for them exactly(3 cats trees, are excessive), but what we can do with them. We know we can walk dogs and train them(the agility course stuff and probably sit, rollover, etc.). So far for cats we know they have toys, scratching posts, and they jump on everything. As of now there doesn't seem to be much our sims can do with cats like you can dogs, just watch them do things.
  • Options
    Rae357 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

For me it's not the things we get for them exactly(3 cats trees, are excessive), but what we can do with them. We know we can walk dogs and train them(the agility course stuff and probably sit, rollover, etc.). So far for cats we know they have toys, scratching posts, and they jump on everything. As of now there doesn't seem to be much our sims can do with cats like you can dogs, just watch them do things.

You can sleep with you cat on the same bed. You can't with your dog.
  • Options
    BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
    @Dannydanbo where did they say that they can't sleep on the bed? Not attacking or anything... i've just heard it said by a few people but never saw the source. :D
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Bambooram wrote: »
    @Dannydanbo where did they say that they can't sleep on the bed? Not attacking or anything... i've just heard it said by a few people but never saw the source. :D
    It's always good to ask for sources :) Here's a link to the posts/discussion http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/923915/cats-dogs-simguru-maxis-sourced-info/p18 At the bottom half of that page you can find official tweets where it says that dogs can't sleep on bed but cats can (and the whole confusion because SimGuruGrant used to say something else).
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    @Dannydanbo I don't understand how the sleeping works. Do they mean cats can sleep on a single bed with a sim or they can sleep in a double bed with a single sim? Dogs should also be able to sleep on a double bed with a single sim, shouldn't they? There is so much backwards stuff in this pack. No doghouses so pets can't sleep outside, but dogs cannot sleep inside on sim beds either? I really need to see some game play.