Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dogs & Dogs

Comments

• kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I get why people want the option to walk their cat or have them swim but the gurus reasoning was that they didn't want to spend time to add in stuff that 90% of cats don't do and instead use that time to add more interactions and stuff that most cats do.

They also said that you can travel to places with your cats so you can go out with them but you just can't walk them on a leash. I never seen a cat on a leash ever but I always see people let their cats out and they roam the streets.

For me walking cats on leashes and making them swim is not important. If they could, it wouldn't add much to my game and I'd probably wouldn't even put most of my cats on a leash anyways. Since they didn't add those features to cats then I hope that means that they used that time to add more gameplay features that will actually add more to my game.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I have two cats. My black cat she plays fetch and loves playing fetch which she started and not taught. They also have learned commands (hate the word but can not think of the word I want to use)..like hand motions of come here, jump up and etc. Cats are unique as pets and different in crazy ways. My cats like to jump on stuff occasionally but not all the time. Again my black cat talks to me, holds a conversation with me if I talk to her ( and no I do not know what she says but it is more than just a few meows. It tickles my husband because it can go on for a good hour). Both of my cats I own now hate water, but I have had cats that would jump in the shower with me. My two cats now freak out when I have a bath and meow and slap at the water. I have had a pet cat/s all my life (early 50's here) and they are very unique and different. You do not own a cat, but you can become of them. I am still on the fence with pets (it is my favorite pack along with seasons in Sims), and was appalled by some of the ways they present the cats.

Dogs are great in their own right. But they are owned. I have had dog houses and never chained my dog to a dog house. The dog house was shelter for the dog when it wanted to be outside instead of inside. I owned dogs that hated the house even in bad weather. They were outside dogs.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I get why people want the option to walk their cat or have them swim but the gurus reasoning was that they didn't want to spend time to add in stuff that 90% of cats don't do and instead use that time to add more interactions and stuff that most cats do.

They also said that you can travel to places with your cats so you can go out with them but you just can't walk them on a leash. I never seen a cat on a leash ever but I always see people let their cats out and they roam the streets.

For me walking cats on leashes and making them swim is not important. If they could, it wouldn't add much to my game and I'd probably wouldn't even put most of my cats on a leash anyways. Since they didn't add those features to cats then I hope that means that they used that time to add more gameplay features that will actually add more to my game.
    You said they took their time to add other things instead - But what did they add instead? That cats can sit on counters and fridges? That seems just as "redundant" as letting them swim. At least swimming and walking them on a leash could be cute to watch. Watching a cat sitting somewhere is... not exciting. It's not exciting in any way. It's nice they added it, but it was already there in TS3 and it definitely shouldn't be a selling point.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

You said they took their time to add other things instead - But what did they add instead? That cats can sit on counters and fridges? That seems just as "redundant" as letting them swim. At least swimming and walking them on a leash could be cute to watch. Watching a cat sitting somewhere is... not exciting. It's not exciting in any way. It's nice they added it, but it was already there in TS3 and it definitely shouldn't be a selling point.

A cat sitting on and riding a Roomba is funny. It's also something dogs can't do, so I think it makes up for not having leashes for cats that 98% of cat owners don't use anyway.
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

A cat sitting on and riding a Roomba is funny. It's also something dogs can't do, so I think it makes up for not having leashes for cats that 98% of cat owners don't use anyway.

Is that said as fact? The roomba is not all that great and like the leash not all cats or owners use it. The roomba was added as a fad and what the devs found funny.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    We don't know the game-breaker thing if you can get your cat to ride the Roomba. You can't force your pet to do it so it's luck...
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    edited October 2017
    To be honest I would by happy with just having the pets themselves and the interactions to go with them Anything else is a bonus in my eyes. I just need the furry friends for my sims.
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

I personally think that is dumb, and shows how immature the people brainstorming are. Roombas are so 2005, literally I haven’t seen one of those in a store in years and I have never known someone to actually buy one.

Prioritizing an interaction based on a YT video shows how poorly they manage their time over there. Couldn’t make dog houses, but they got everything to recreate a YouTube video. I think that is tacky, unoriginal, and just not that creative.

The gurus said that they spent that time to add other features. I said I hoped it was gameplay features that added more to my game. There is still a gameplay livestream coming, and more info to be released so no one knows everything the cats and dogs can do except maybe the sims campers.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

I personally think that is dumb, and shows how immature the people brainstorming are. Roombas are so 2005, literally I haven’t seen one of those in a store in years and I have never known someone to actually buy one.

Prioritizing an interaction based on a YT video shows how poorly they manage their time over there. Couldn’t make dog houses, but they got everything to recreate a YouTube video. I think that is tacky, unoriginal, and just not that creative.

That probably depends a lot on the shops you go to and the people you know. ;) I see robot cleaner (and robot mower) in all the stores, and know lots of people who own one, especially among those who have a pet. It's described as a growing market accross the world.
    Neia wrote: »

That probably depends a lot on the shops you go to and the people you know. ;) I see robot cleaner (and robot mower) in all the stores, and know lots of people who own one, especially among those who have a pet. It's described as a growing market accross the world.

Well that may be true, but they aren’t quite ‘there’ - or overly common. As I said I haven’t seen a roomba in years, I’ve never seen a robotic mower (would not trust that anyway) but I have owned a robotic pool cleaner. Didn’t work nearly as well as it claimed.

Personally if I am going to drop $350 USD on a vacuum I would pick one that worked on more than just the floor, but that’s just me.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don't even know what a roomba is? Had never heard of it until so some told me it was based off a video that went viral, I watched it and I didn't like it. But animals being used for entertainment with daft costumes isn't my idea of fun. For these that do, more power to them.

But for the target audience of this pack I'm guessing they will appreciate it. I just find it a bit... naff. Sorry. It will be funny at first but won't be after the first time.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited October 2017

A friend of mine who is one of my Cat Lady friends has a Roomba. (In fact, all my Cat Lady friends have Roombas and wouldn't live without.) Some of the cats do, in fact, like to play with it and ride on it. It's a Real World Thing. Sorry you don't find it entertaining or realistic.

EDITED TO ADD: Yes, I have multiple Cat Lady friends. They're really nice, otherwise normal people and I love them dearly.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Oh, I agree. I'd much rather have a doghouse (even that igloo one) than a Roomba. They had no problem giving us three cat trees for the cats to crawl on and sleep on but not one doghouse?
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    The Roomba wasn't actually added to be entertaining, it was added because pets make a lot of mess around the house and they felt we needed an easy option for keeping the house clean. Then they decided that while they were adding it anyway they may as well allow the cats to interact with it.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    The Roomba wasn't actually added to be entertaining, it was added because pets make a lot of mess around the house and they felt we needed an easy option for keeping the house clean. Then they decided that while they were adding it anyway they may as well allow the cats to interact with it.
    Do you have a source for it?
    Personally I don't find it that hard to take care of a house in Sims 4. You only need to clean dishes, scrub a counter once in a while and clean a toilet or shower. And if you have a toddler you might need to clean the mess they make. But nothing that needs a roomba. And we have maids and butlers, so... There are many other things that should have priority.

The Roomba was totally added because of YT videos. The fact that it can actually clean messes that eventually go away, is just a bonus.

Oh, I agree. I'd much rather have a doghouse (even that igloo one) than a Roomba. They had no problem giving us three cat trees for the cats to crawl on and sleep on but not one doghouse?

Oh I agree! They make what they want to make.

A friend of mine who is one of my Cat Lady friends has a Roomba. (In fact, all my Cat Lady friends have Roombas and wouldn't live without.) Some of the cats do, in fact, like to play with it and ride on it. It's a Real World Thing. Sorry you don't find it entertaining or realistic.

EDITED TO ADD: Yes, I have multiple Cat Lady friends. They're really nice, otherwise normal people and I love them dearly.

Well it’s great that all of your cat lady friends have roombas, as I said I haven’t seen a roomba in years (or any other robotic floor vacuum) they aren’t common where I live to own, nor are they advertised in any capacity like regular vacuums.

I never said it was unrealistic, I said it was unoriginal. The inspiration for it came from a YouTube video (which is super easy to find), not a super-mega common cat activity. It certainly took resources to get that in this pack, not only for the cat but also for the vacuum. It’s simply my opinion that those resources could have been better spent on content that wasn’t copied from an internet meme.
  • AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    edited October 2017

Well it’s great that all of your cat lady friends have roombas, as I said I haven’t seen a roomba in years (or any other robotic floor vacuum) they aren’t common where I live to own, nor are they advertised in any capacity like regular vacuums.

I never said it was unrealistic, I said it was unoriginal. The inspiration for it came from a YouTube video (which is super easy to find), not a super-mega common cat activity. It certainly took resources to get that in this pack, not only for the cat but also for the vacuum. It’s simply my opinion that those resources could have been better spent on content that wasn’t copied from an internet meme.

The vacuum is a highly anticipated object for me, regardless of memes. The cats being able to ride it is just a spectacular bonus.

I do hope some pets will be afraid of the vacuum though. That would be really realistic

Hang on. You want a dog house, but you don't want a cat riding a Roomba because... it's unoriginal?

Okay, then.

Let’s compare apples to oranges why don’t we?
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    edited October 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    We don't know the game-breaker thing if you can get your cat to ride the Roomba. You can't force your pet to do it so it's luck...

@Loanet I'm fairly certain the "game-breaker" thing is that cats can get through locked door while riding the roomba and wearing the shark head. That was mentioned later in the stream after they said cats riding the roomba wearing the shark hat broke the game.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Do you have a source for it?
    Personally I don't find it that hard to take care of a house in Sims 4. You only need to clean dishes, scrub a counter once in a while and clean a toilet or shower. And if you have a toddler you might need to clean the mess they make. But nothing that needs a roomba. And we have maids and butlers, so... There are many other things that should have priority.

It was in the live stream, when they mentioned that cats could ride on the Roomba they explained why they felt it important to add something to help clean the messes. Even now people complain that there's too much mess with parenthood, but with this pack there will also be pet hair, vomit and excrement around the house.
    I actually think the roomba will be very useful for my game. Kids make a lot of messes and so does Toddlers and it only gets worse with pets lol. I know we can have maids and butlers but I don't want all my sims to have maids and butlers so instead I'll give them roombas.
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    So, a dog house is not included because it is considered cruel? But a cat on a Roomba banging against walls is not?