Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Burglar" Livestream answer

Comments

• AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Nikoa wrote: »
    @AHolyToilet Yes, it's my attempt at making the Other Mother. It's not the best but I tried.

No, it's very good. I recognized it, at least.
    Nikoa wrote: »
    Here's where I heard the trigger thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-w2Z5vOvAo&t=50s

I find it odd he says he could completely agree with EA's "reasoning" for burglars. He says in the Sims 4, since it's lot based, players could feel violated for something invading their virtual home.

Correct me if I'm wrong since I've never played the game, but isn't the Sims 2 lot based, so lot based that it's actually more restrictive than the Sims 4's?

Sims 2 is a closed world or lot based.

That's be fair Jonny says he "could" agree, it doesn't mean that he does agree. Hence he goes on to list vampires having the ability to break in and attack.

I know. Believe me, it's an example I would've chosen myself if this subject came to debate. However, choosing that example with the previous comment of saying he could agree makes it sound like Vampires are the only reason why he doesn't. Entirely subjective, of course.

Oh me too! ;) I took it as he could agree that EA don't want to upset players with unpleasant things that may have happened in real life like burglaries, he could agree with that if it wasn't for the fact you know he vamps letting themselves in and snacking on you as that blows that theory out the water that it's a "don't want to upset fans" reason.

Simmer Jonny's favourite of the series is still sims 2 so I think he genuinely does want the burglar back like so many of us do.

Here. Have a like.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    There is no confirmation, but it was clearly a joke

There is actually, Triplis has posted SimGuruDrake's confirmation on page 1.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Neia wrote: »

That’s not a confirmation, we still don’t know if we are getting burglars.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    @orchid13 just answer this simple question what will you do if ea/maxi decide to not bring buglars back?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    @orchid13 just answer this simple question what will you do if ea/maxi decide to not bring buglars back?

I’ll keep on living
    21mbz47.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    These guys are awfully quick to joke about their game’s shortcomings. Burglars we’re base game NPC’s in Sims 1, 2 and 3. So funny that after 3 years they aren’t in 4? No wonder
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    I got that it was a joke during the livestream, but I dunno. Making a joke about it like "yeah, as if we're that sensitive" when both recent and past examples have not only shown but they outright stated that they are and do want to make a safe space and not trigger people ? A bit of self awareness wouldn't hurt.
    Pretty sure the comments you're thinking of about safe space were in reference to the community as a whole, not the game itself. And I don't think the words "safe space" were used, specifically. If I recall correctly, the phrasing was along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing liberally), "We want people to have a place where they can feel safe to express themselves."

Which is pretty much standard community team stuff and is nothing at all new to community building.

It's possible I'm remembering incorrectly and that phrase was used. But I'm 99% sure the comments were with regards to the community, not the game. It's just after that and the confirmation of teen demographic, along with someone posting a "my uncle's cousin's nephew's friend" kind of rumor about burglars not being included because "safe spaces," it started becoming a more common target for people to ascribe this or that development choice on teens being the demographic or the devs wanting to make a safe space.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    I got that it was a joke during the livestream, but I dunno. Making a joke about it like "yeah, as if we're that sensitive" when both recent and past examples have not only shown but they outright stated that they are and do want to make a safe space and not trigger people ? A bit of self awareness wouldn't hurt.
    Pretty sure the comments you're thinking of about safe space were in reference to the community as a whole, not the game itself. And I don't think the words "safe space" were used, specifically. If I recall correctly, the phrasing was along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing liberally), "We want people to have a place where they can feel safe to express themselves."

Which is pretty much standard community team stuff and is nothing at all new to community building.

It's possible I'm remembering incorrectly and that phrase was used. But I'm 99% sure the comments were with regards to the community, not the game. It's just after that and the confirmation of teen demographic, along with someone posting a "my uncle's cousin's nephew's friend" kind of rumor about burglars not being included because "safe spaces," it started becoming a more common target for people to ascribe this or that development choice on teens being the demographic or the devs wanting to make a safe space.

I agree. I think some people heard the "we want this community to be a place where people feel safe" and turned it into something else.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
    edited October 2017

Yeah she was talking about the game. She further added that she encourages people to bring “issues” (not bugs, social issues and ‘representation’ issues) to her attention so that she can relay that with the developers and fix them in the game so everyone can ‘feel comfortable and safe while telling their stories.’

I don’t think that has anything to do with burglars not being in the game, but she was talking primarily about the game with a tiny bit of social commentary on their target market (teen girls who hate bullying and are all for inclusiveness and safe space mentality)
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Yeah she was talking about the game. She further added that she encourages people to bring “issues” (not bugs, social issues and ‘representation’ issues) to her attention so that she can relay that with the developers and fix them in the game so everyone can ‘feel comfortable and safe while telling their stories.’

I don’t think that has anything to do with burglars not being in the game, but she was talking primarily about the game with a tiny bit of social commentary on their target market (teen girls who hate bullying and are all for inclusiveness and safe space mentality)

You are correct. Drake said they wanted to create a safe space for people to tell their stories, how can they get people to tell those stories in a safe that's space for them and hopefully they will get the courage to share those stories with a wider group.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited October 2017

I went and found the part that you're possibly referring to?
    And our game, I don’t know if you’re aware, our game is targeted mostly at teenage girls, which is an oddity in gaming, but they’re and they are very much for inclusion and they don’t like bullying, you know, but we can’t always talk to teenage girls, so we talk to the people who talk to them, and through them sharing their stories and the promotions on social media, you know we’re always highlighting new ways, like this creator has a great story going on with this series that’s talking about a very tragic moment in their “Sims” life, but it’s actually based on their real life, so how do we highlight that to allow people to feel comfortable to talk about those things. So sometimes it’s a little difficult depending on what I’m trying to do, but we at least try and promote things on social media all the time, and make sure our lists are diverse of people we reach out to, and I encourage people constantly, whether you’re a storyteller, or you know, you’re just a let’s player, I’m like, share things with me, I can’t see everything, but please if you see something fun, or you see someone’s bringing up an issue where they don’t feel like they’re represented, share it with me because I can share with the studio and make that something that they look at and say, how can we do this right and how can we include this in the game as a natural fit and not feel like we just shoved it to shove it in. We want everyone to feel comfortable, but I need the help of my community to do that.
    It looks like she's talking about people bringing issues of inclusiveness to her, so that she can relay it to the developers, not "feeling safe in-game."

And then here (admittedly, I was incorrect about "safe space." The phrase is used.) However...
    For me it’s really just us wanting to create a safe space for people to tell their stories and the more we add on it’s not, yes we obviously would like more player to come and play The Sims, but that’s never like the point of doing it. It’s just, how can we help people tell their stories in a space that’s safe for them to be able to hopefully get the courage to share those stories with a wider group, until it becomes a normal thing.
    If you read closely, you can see that she's talking about a safe space for people to tell/share their stories. It's just a little confusing, as it seems like she's talking about the game itself at first, but at the end, you can see the focus she's referring to is essentially about getting people out of their shells and helping them have a place where they feel comfortable expressing themselves as part of a community (which, again, is typical community building kind of focus).
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Since we know it's a joke, the right answer would be 'We just can't be bothered.'

Or they don't think it's important enough to devote resources to it.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    A response trivial enough to confuse most and distract from asking the question again.

And they were doing so well with the transparency lately, smh.

Not really a "communication" or "transparency" issue....he should have just ignored the question....because it was a Cats & Dogs livestream....not a general Q&A and, so, that question didn't belong in the livestream anyway. They've probably heard questions about burglars so many times that he chose to give a sarcastic response to the question, as a joke.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member

OMG I found it so funny like I fell off my seat laughing :joy:
    giphy_1.gif
  • simmerbrentleysimmerbrentley Posts: 203 Member
    I honestly just wish this game was more interconnected. It would be awesome to have burglars pulled from sims in the criminal career, and officers (the people who apprehend the burglar) pulled from sims in the detective career. The burglars can use the swipe interaction from the kleptomaniac trait, and the break-in action can be recycled from the Vampires GP. All EA has to do is link these separate NPC's and interactions together to make burglars work. Who knows, maybe they're working on it? Considering SimGuruDrake was joking, no one can be certain. After the toddlers release I've been keeping an open mind when it comes to game additions in the form of updates.

And our game, I don’t know if you’re aware, our game is targeted mostly at teenage girls, which is an oddity in gaming, but they’re and they are very much for inclusion and they don’t like bullying, you know, but we can’t always talk to teenage girls, so we talk to the people who talk to them, and through them sharing their stories and the promotions on social media, you know we’re always highlighting new ways, like this creator has a great story going on with this series that’s talking about a very tragic moment in their “Sims” life, but it’s actually based on their real life, so how do we highlight that to allow people to feel comfortable to talk about those things. So sometimes it’s a little difficult depending on what I’m trying to do, but we at least try and promote things on social media all the time, and make sure our lists are diverse of people we reach out to, and I encourage people constantly, whether you’re a storyteller, or you know, you’re just a let’s player, I’m like, share things with me, I can’t see everything, but please if you see something fun, or you see someone’s bringing up an issue where they don’t feel like they’re represented, share it with me because I can share with the studio and make that something that they look at and say, how can we do this right and how can we include this in the game as a natural fit and not feel like we just shoved it to shove it in. We want everyone to feel comfortable, but I need the help of my community to do that.
    It looks like she's talking about people bringing issues of inclusiveness to her, so that she can relay it to the developers, not "feeling safe in-game."

And then here (admittedly, I was incorrect about "safe space." The phrase is used.) However...
    For me it’s really just us wanting to create a safe space for people to tell their stories and the more we add on it’s not, yes we obviously would like more player to come and play The Sims, but that’s never like the point of doing it. It’s just, how can we help people tell their stories in a space that’s safe for them to be able to hopefully get the courage to share those stories with a wider group, until it becomes a normal thing.
    If you read closely, you can see that she's talking about a safe space for people to tell/share their stories. It's just a little confusing, as it seems like she's talking about the game itself at first, but at the end, you can see the focus she's referring to is essentially about getting people out of their shells and helping them have a place where they feel comfortable expressing themselves as part of a community (which, again, is typical community building kind of focus).

Maybe you are reading a little too close? I mean she said that she encourages people to bring social issues to her so she can work with the developers to ‘fix’ them - the developers don’t work on these forums. They only work on the game, so while she probably is also referring to the forums she is absolutely discussing the game and how she strives to make it a safe space for people to tell their stories without feeling judged. Most of the stories people tell on these boards are from... The Sims 4. Like I said I’m sure she was referring to the forums in some capacity, but she was also discussing the way they are handling the game with regard to safe spaces.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Whew... I almost had a heartattack. Well, hope we will see them ingame at some point :)
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member

Maybe you are reading a little too close? I mean she said that she encourages people to bring social issues to her so she can work with the developers to ‘fix’ them - the developers don’t work on these forums. They only work on the game, so while she probably is also referring to the forums she is absolutely discussing the game and how she strives to make it a safe space for people to tell their stories without feeling judged. Most of the stories people tell on these boards are from... The Sims 4. Like I said I’m sure she was referring to the forums in some capacity, but she was also discussing the way they are handling the game with regard to safe spaces.

They way I took it was they wanted a safe space on the forums for people to tell their stories and she would work with the developers on issues of inclusivity, such as the gender patch and having more ethnic hairstyles in game.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Neia wrote: »

That’s not a confirmation, we still don’t know if we are getting burglars.

Confirmation that it was a joke. Jeez, people.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Looks like a few people need to recalibrate their humor arrays. It was a joke; they were being lighthearted and fun for the entire stream. In fact, I thought they were rather good.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

Exactly.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The answer is more like "We haven't gotten around to it yet."

No, I don't think it's right we've had to wait this long either, unless they're really imaginative about it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    Is this game about story's I thought it was a Game I dont share my game play its a game, why should game play be dumped so people can tell story's (the forums on the other hand are often toxic). The clown went wrong because they dont do npc's in this game the way they used too, so everyone ends up being him/her. They need to fix npc's and multiple creation of npc's before they add any of the npc's that they decided to dump. ITS NOT A JOKING MATER when 3 years on and we dont have most npc's that were in previous games. What people are getting upset about is joking about frequently requested game play, or that they weren't joking at all. Which ones better lol
  • Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    People complain that the game is trying too hard not to upset people and then proceed to get upset over a joke. Logical.

Poeple take jokes like that 'serious' because TS4 is really lacking danger and consequences. Due to that it might not sound like such a joke at all.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    The best thing is: they already said they were joking during the livestream.