Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will my computer be able to run Cats and Dogs?

I apologize for not being able to post my stats, but I only have internet through my phone as a hotspot and tend to only use that when downloading something.

My computer is not a gaming computer. It is the HP Pavilion p7-1254. Will it be able to run Cats and Dogs? If not, I haven't yet made any upgrades to it. Are there any that will help me reach a good level for the EP?

The game runs okay above minimum settings and without windowed mode and in 64 bit version of the game. Sometimes a crash or two and a bit of freezing, but otherwise fine.

Quick reference stats:

Processor: AMD A6-3620 APU with 2.20GHz (quad-core)

8gb ram with 7.49 available.

64 bit Windows 7 HP1 os

Not sure if there's anything else you need.

Comments

• CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    Forgot, graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 6530D integrated.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I suspect if your already having issues cats and dogs may not run well for you at all. Your computer is under requirements to run the game even though your computer may be able to run some of it. The more you add to the game , the more demanding the game becomes. This EP is supposed to be more powerful than others so far. Your HP would not be worth upgrading because you would have to upgrade everything from processor , to video card to power supply. Hp's are also very hard to upgrade. No room or cooling in the case.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    I agree with what Phoebebe.

I think you're better off saving money on buying a new computer. The one you have seems pretty old too since it's Windows 7.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    Thank you both.

It is fairly old. I purchased it so I could play a World of Warcraft expansion that increased the game's requirements years ago. History repeats.
    Your very welcome. If you need help picking out a new computer at some point we can help you find a computer that will survive the game and all it's add ons. This has always been with sims games. The more you add, the more demanding the game becomes. It happened with the sims 3 too . Some eps are more demanding than others and when you add the eps on top of each other it will put more stress on your video card and processor. This is why we advise people to have a computer that meets recommended requirements so you survive the game and all it's add ons.
  • Addicted2GamZzAddicted2GamZz Posts: 135 New Member
    Does anyone know how good Alienware laptops are? More specifically the 17 R4?
  • ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    Well.. I came in here to reply to the query as summarised under the Discussions tab, but now I see the bloke was banished. However, in case anyone else wonders, while I do not possess this particular device, I do know some who do, and while they find it a capable laptop for gaming, it is heavy, expensive, and not possessed of a particularly long-life battery, for what-all that was worth.

Good day to all!
  • AprilApril Posts: 59 Member
    Hey, sorry to post in this thread but I am unable to start my own thread. I would like to know what the chances are of my being able to run Cats and Dogs. I am currently able to run all of the stuff packs, game packs and expansion packs on high/very high settings very smoothly. Here are my computer specs.

HP 15-au018wm

Processor Intel Core i7 6th Gen.
    Processor Speed 2.5GHz

Memory 12GB

Hard Drive 1TB 5400RPM HDD (Hard Disc Drive)

Display Size 15.6in.
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Video Card Memory 2048MB
    Graphics Processing Type Dedicated Graphics

I know that it's not the greatest laptop and I've heard that the 940mx is hit or miss but I've had good luck with it and I know that my processor is not quad core. I do have a cooling pad to help prevent over heating. Upgrading is not possible right now. Thanks for your time :)
    edited October 2017
    April wrote: »
    Hey, sorry to post in this thread but I am unable to start my own thread. I would like to know what the chances are of my being able to run Cats and Dogs. I am currently able to run all of the stuff packs, game packs and expansion packs on high/very high settings very smoothly. Here are my computer specs.

HP 15-au018wm

Processor Intel Core i7 6th Gen.
    Processor Speed 2.5GHz

Memory 12GB

Hard Drive 1TB 5400RPM HDD (Hard Disc Drive)

Display Size 15.6in.
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Video Card Memory 2048MB
    Graphics Processing Type Dedicated Graphics

I know that it's not the greatest laptop and I've heard that the 940mx is hit or miss but I've had good luck with it and I know that my processor is not quad core. I do have a cooling pad to help prevent over heating. Upgrading is not possible right now. Thanks for your time :)

You can't upgrade a laptop. You are stuck with the specs you buy. Yes it is hit or miss with the 940m card. You have enough ram. We don't know what this ep will do to the processor and video card. We can only tell people if they are below minimum requirements, in between or meet recommended requirements. Your laptop is somewhere in between and bellow recommended requirements . We can't tell you how the ep will run on your laptop or how it effect your game.
  • AprilApril Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks phoebebebe13. I understand that no one can tell me for sure if Cats and Dogs will work I was just looking for opinions on what others think. I was in desperate need for a new laptop as my Asus ROG died on me and I needed something ASAP. I've had good luck with gaming on this laptop so I'm feeling pretty confident that it will run the next couple of expansion packs fairly well. Thanks again for your time.
    @April your very welcome
  • Bhawkins0402Bhawkins0402 Posts: 75 Member
    Can someone help me figure out if this laptop I'm thinking about buying will be able to run Cats and Dogs? I know the one I currently have won't work.

Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Gaming Laptop, Windows 10, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 1 TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Graphics

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-Windows-10-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-Quad-Core-Processor-8GB-RAM-1-TB-Hard-Drive-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-2GB-Graphics/366996887#read-more

"Powered by 7th Gen Intel Core processors and NVIDIA GTX 1050 discrete graphics, and featuring premium audio, its ready for action. 15.6" LED Backlit, IPS Anti-Glare Display; Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor 2.8GHz (with Max Turbo Speed of 3.8GHz); 8GB DDR4 2400MHz system memory; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics with 2GB of GDDR5 graphics memory"
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Can someone help me figure out if this laptop I'm thinking about buying will be able to run Cats and Dogs? I know the one I currently have won't work.

Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Gaming Laptop, Windows 10, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 1 TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Graphics

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-Windows-10-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-Quad-Core-Processor-8GB-RAM-1-TB-Hard-Drive-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-2GB-Graphics/366996887#read-more

"Powered by 7th Gen Intel Core processors and NVIDIA GTX 1050 discrete graphics, and featuring premium audio, its ready for action. 15.6" LED Backlit, IPS Anti-Glare Display; Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor 2.8GHz (with Max Turbo Speed of 3.8GHz); 8GB DDR4 2400MHz system memory; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics with 2GB of GDDR5 graphics memory"

I see no reason why it shouldn't looking at the specs
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ChelsmazingChelsmazing Posts: 60 Member
    I've heard the Lenovo runs hot, my two cents would be definitely get a cooling pad as well.
    Spread love, not hate.
    The world is dark enough as it is.
  • ArielPreizArielPreiz Posts: 473 Member
    Will this Laptop be okay to run Cats & Dogs - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MWHAA.007

I already run The Sims 4 on it on lower graphics, clicked laptop mode with no problems what so ever
    Origin ID: EsmeGraham
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    Just wanted to leave this here; the best gaming laptop I've ever owned is an Asus Rog. I highly recommend looking into them.
  • ArielPreizArielPreiz Posts: 473 Member
    Anyone that needs help knowing if there PC/Laptop will run The Sims 4: Cats and Dogs Contact EA/Origin they were very helpful to me letting me know it should run and if not they would do a refund within 24-48hours.
    Origin ID: EsmeGraham

Lenovo Y series have had heating issues. I would do more research before buying.
    edited November 2017
    ArielPreiz wrote: »
    Anyone that needs help knowing if there PC/Laptop will run The Sims 4: Cats and Dogs Contact EA/Origin they were very helpful to me letting me know it should run and if not they would do a refund within 24-48hours.

That EA CS rep did not read your computer specs correctly. maybe EA will make an exception for you because the rep told they would give you a refund however they are not going to make that exception for everyone. There will be allot of people who can't run it and EA's poicy is not to issue refunds for eps. Your laptop does not meet requirements to run cats and dogs
    Will this Laptop be okay to run Cats & Dogs - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MWHAA.007

I already run The Sims 4 on it on lower graphics, clicked laptop mode with no problems what so ever

answered you in the other thread but it does not meet requirements to run cats and dogs
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)

@ArielPreiz Please see my reply in your thread.

Thanks,
    -EA_Mage
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    edited November 2017

While this may be true that they are helpful, that rep in particular was highly mistaken, your laptop is definitely going to have some sort of issues running the C&D EP. Also there are no refunds, that's done been addressed, the rep was not only wrong about comparing your specs, but they were wrong on the return policy.

If you have to run it on low now, just wait until you install C&D which requires a lot more, it won't run well at all...
    edited November 2017
    oopsI think Im in the wrong thread LOL
    I know this is a bit of a necro, but figured I'd share the good news here.

Before Cats and Dogs was released, I thought I'd play around with game settings to see how the game did. With lowest settings, and in laptop and windowed mode, my desktop did fine. There was an occasional pause but these were short.

What's more is that even San Myshuno became playable again.

So I went ahead and got Cats and Dogs. There's a couple more pauses, but nothing bad. And my desktop doesn't seem to be stressing too bad.

It looks like if I can get a couple upgrades for my desktop, it will be able to stay with Sims 4 for the long haul.

I'm currently testing rotational play to see how bloated files impact it before settling into legacy games.
    edited November 2017
    @Croxycook I'm glad that you are able to run it somewhat Ok. I don't believe it would be possible to upgrade your computer to meet requirements. Talk to user @chesterbigbird , she is a computer build expert

It's your processor/video card that are forcing you to play in windowed mode on low settings. You would have to replace your processor video card, power supply and probably motherboard. Maybe even have to replace your ram. We are talking about upgrading everything in your computer. HP are hard to upgrade and the cases have no room for cooling. You are better off buying a proper gaming desktop that meets requirements, has a good case with good cooling and room for upgrades