Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Deleting cache files on an SSD

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question or in the wrong space. It's not a bug. I have a 500 gb ssd and I try not to 'write and rewrite' due to my understanding that you can only do that so many times on an SSD. But those cache files that get deleted after each game play can be really big! Is it going to be harmful to my SSD to keep deleting those and rewriting over that space?

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    My understanding is that this isn't a concern for modern SSDs. You shouldn't defragment though as there is no point and that does unnecessarily reduce the lifespan. I believe Win 10 doesn't defragment automatically for SSDs but I could be wrong.

I don't find it beneficial to delete cache files every time I play so I don't bother, but my choice has nothing to do with having an SSD.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @TreyNutz Thanks for your response. I'll try not deleting them and see if everything still functions okay. It's a pain to try and remember to delete them after every session anyway.

I do have Windows 10 with a modern SSD so hopefully it will not automatically defragment. I will check into that. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited October 2017
    It is safe to delete game cache files. SSDs have come a long way. I don't do it every time either... Only when I'm removing mods/cc or troubleshooting something.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    First you have to understand what happens when you delete data from a storage device. You don't delete the actual data. What happens is the entry in the FAT (file allocation table on track zero) is changed to look like there is no data at that location on the storage device and the computer is free to use that space. The actual data is still there until it is written over. Just so I don't get anyone mad Windows now uses the NTFS (new technology file system) file system and uses MFT (master file table) which is basically the same as FAT just more complicated.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 Thanks. Do you delete them when you add mods or only when removing?

@bob007 Okay, so the data is still there on the SSD drive until it gets full to the 500 gb level? Then it will start writing over it?
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited October 2017
    I've heard it's good to do it when you add mods but I don't all that often. It's important after removing mods/cc because game data likes sticking sometimes until you clear cache.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 Okay, thanks
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    The data that the file used becomes available to be over written. The file system is very complicated and this is an over simplification about file deletion. Files are frequently fragmented and the file system has to maintain a table of where all these fragments are. Rather then say delete the data itself, the file system just says the fragments are free to be reused.

add: I have many low density hard drives that I use to test with. Some are over ten years old and work just fine. The problem with ssds is the cost and dependability. We are just going to have to wait until ssds are in use for over 7 years and then see how many reallocated sectors have been logged. Many hard drives exceed 10 years of use in a consumer computer. We'll have to wait and see how ssds hold up. The other issue is the cost. Some ssds require updates and that is a problem for for the extra cost. I still think the preset day mass storage device is better then my first paper tape machine.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    @Bobo007 Thanks for the info. Some of that was over my head but I got the jist. :)