Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only one who's starting to get the feeling...

Comments

• SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I saw an 18 minute gameplay video that someone uploaded yesterday. It showed several pieces of pet training equipment and the pet owner was trying to teach his dog to maneuver through the equipment. Not just the hoop. Also footage of a day in the life of a vet at the pet clinic. There's much more in the pack than CAS.

Source? To my knowledge there's still a ban on such footage, so I find it hard to believe you've seen any since NONE of the Sims news outlets are discussing such things.

There was such a video. I don't dare to share the link (since it not by EA/Maxis officially) but look on the website of SimsVIP. You can watch it there.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    NickSims wrote: »
    I saw an 18 minute gameplay video that someone uploaded yesterday. It showed several pieces of pet training equipment and the pet owner was trying to teach his dog to maneuver through the equipment. Not just the hoop. Also footage of a day in the life of a vet at the pet clinic. There's much more in the pack than CAS.

Source? To my knowledge there's still a ban on such footage, so I find it hard to believe you've seen any since NONE of the Sims news outlets are discussing such things.

There was such a video. I don't dare to share the link (since it not by EA/Maxis officially) but look on the website of SimsVIP. You can watch it there.

Thanks, I'll go looking.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    To tell the truth I think that my first month with be playing with CAP and building with the new building tools but I hope everyone else gets their desired gameplay too. :):)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member

Did you see it? ;)

Did you see it? ;)

Indeed I did (well, one ~18 min vid anyways, not any others), but I'd rather not discuss it for them time being both out of respect for the ban on the topic, and because I'm pretty sure our posts would get cleaned up anyways even if we did discuss it. I'll save my thoughts for when they release that info themselves.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Anyone who hasn't seen it, too late. It has been removed.
    Anyone who hasn't seen it, too late. It has been removed.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were reading this discussion and then went off to flag it the moment someone mentioned SimsVIP.
  • estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    edited October 2017
    agustd wrote: »
    While I completely understand the negativity (I myself am guilty of always finding flaws first and being extremely critical)

Being critical doesn't mean someone is negative about something. Trust me, this community is nothing compared to the level of toxicity from other games' forums. Most hard core gamers are "candidly" expressive in what they want in their game. I am not saying the Sims community should also be like that (goodness NO). One thing I have learned from all those intense forums though is that most players who "complain" about the game are actually the ones who are more passionate about the progress of the game. I think being too passive sometimes has it's flaws, if no one is being critical the game will die, because people will just not care about it anymore. And I am glad that the devs actually welcome criticism and suggestions in this game. I have read on some threads of the devs actually responding, that is a good thing.

Post edited by estella_dee on
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    While I completely understand the negativity (I myself am guilty of always finding flaws first and being extremely critical)

Being critical doesn't mean someone is negative about something. Trust me, this community is nothing compared to the level of toxicity from other games' forums. Most hard core gamers are "candidly" expressive in what they want in their game. I am not saying the Sims community should also be like that (goodness NO). One thing I have learned from all those intense forums though is that most players who "complain" about the game are actually the ones who are more passionate about the progress of the game. I think being too passive sometimes has it's flaws, if no one is being critical the game will die, because people will just not care about it anymore. And I am glad that the devs actually welcome criticism and suggestions in this game. I have read on some threads of the devs actually responding, that is a good thing.

Expecting an EP's gameplay will be lacking based solely on the fact they haven't disclosed much about it yet (even though they literally have a livestream planned, so why would they showcase any of it before it happens?) is not being critical, it is being negative. And believe me, I do lots of criticizing on this forum so my mention of negativity wasn't to shame people. It's not a bad thing to be negative, people have their reasons. I have mine too. This is actually the first time I have optimistic thoughts and that's why I felt the need to comment. I'm not one of the users on here who will write you entire essays about why they think we should only say nice things or not say anything at all whenever you complain about something. You can't really be critical of gameplay yet since we haven't really seen any. You can only be suspicious. That's different.

And I know what you mean.. I sometimes go on Bioware games forums and that makes me appreciate this place so much more, haha.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I'm starting to get that feeling as well. I hope we get a trailer that shows what the Pets can actually do.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

Ah, okay. I misunderstood you. Thank you for clarifying.

No problem. I should have been clearer. :)

While I completely understand the negativity (I myself am guilty of always finding flaws first and being extremely critical) I think there is a reason for them to show off CAP first. TS4 is notorious for the lack of customization options and I see their move as a way to tell us that they listened and learned, and since they can't go back and give us a color wheel for everything (even though we know it's possible - they just won't do that, lol) they want us to at least have more creative control in the new aspect of the game they're introducing. It's like their way of saying "sorry you can't be 100% content with how your sims look but from now on we'll make sure the rest of your creations in game will be satisfying so here's our new CAP". I can see why that's the best thing to show off since the very beginning.

I wouldn't say it's because that's all they really have to offer. They tend to be secretive about everything,whether it makes sense or not, I'm used to it by now. I'm pretty sure they just decided to reveal one aspect fully and hide another so there's still some hype and people have something to experience from scratch, aka pet gameplay. Somehow the big number of pet traits tells me they can't be dull and plain. If they won't be a drastic improvement I have a feeling they'll at least be satisfying. Maybe it's my optimistic side speaking but everything I've seen so far leads me to believe they prepared for it, they prepared for our scrutiny because this time it'll be merciless. People won't forgive them destroying the community's favored EP and you can be dang sure they know it. It's a whole new situation - the first time an EP is "coming back" to TS4 and while EA made some questionable decisions in the past... Would they really be brave enough to deliver a bad pets EP? Would they be brave enough to risk it? I want to believe they wouldn't, and that the past 3 years have taught them something.

Unfortunately, EA has already proved that they can, and will, quite easily ruin a favored EP. Exhibit A is Get to Work. Fans of the series have been waiting for a retail-type EP since TS2. When it finally came, it was a ridiculous disappointment. Retail is broken, the active careers are broken. There was no way to have a home-based business, etc.

EA knew exactly what fans were looking for in a retail EP and what they produced was underwhelming, to put it kindly.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    Most everything that I saw in the trailer was about the animals sitting around. There were so few interactions on display.

I must have watched a different trailer because I saw a lot of different interactions between sims and their pets....and even some interactions between the animals.

What interactions did you see that added to game play? I'm genuinely curious.

The closest thing that I saw was the vet career. However, if it is anything like the medical career, the vet career is already in trouble.

Edited to add: I did see a lot of staging, by the marketing department, accompanied by rampant speculation.

I3Ml5Om.jpg

Expecting an EP's gameplay will be lacking based solely on the fact they haven't disclosed much about it yet (even though they literally have a livestream planned, so why would they showcase any of it before it happens?) is not being critical, it is being negative. And believe me, I do lots of criticizing on this forum so my mention of negativity wasn't to shame people. It's not a bad thing to be negative, people have their reasons. I have mine too. This is actually the first time I have optimistic thoughts and that's why I felt the need to comment. I'm not one of the users on here who will write you entire essays about why they think we should only say nice things or not say anything at all whenever you complain about something. You can't really be critical of gameplay yet since we haven't really seen any. You can only be suspicious. That's different.

And I know what you mean.. I sometimes go on Bioware games forums and that makes me appreciate this place so much more, haha.

It IS being critical. It IS NOT being negative. To be negative is when say that this EP is just going to be a failure. But I don't think anyone has said that in this thread. People are hoping it will not be a let down. And yes one could expect that the EP gameplay can be lacking, but not with the reason you said. So far out of the 3 EPs released, only Get Together seem to have a decent gameplay. One can speculate that with all these hype they have for CAP, that Cats and Dogs maybe only have CAP going. Maybe I am just not allowing myself to get into the Cats and Dogs hyped, and that's why I am critical. I am sorry you feel that people here are negative. It's your opinion.

While I completely understand the negativity (I myself am guilty of always finding flaws first and being extremely critical) I think there is a reason for them to show off CAP first. TS4 is notorious for the lack of customization options and I see their move as a way to tell us that they listened and learned, and since they can't go back and give us a color wheel for everything (even though we know it's possible - they just won't do that, lol) they want us to at least have more creative control in the new aspect of the game they're introducing. It's like their way of saying "sorry you can't be 100% content with how your sims look but from now on we'll make sure the rest of your creations in game will be satisfying so here's our new CAP". I can see why that's the best thing to show off since the very beginning.

I wouldn't say it's because that's all they really have to offer. They tend to be secretive about everything,whether it makes sense or not, I'm used to it by now. I'm pretty sure they just decided to reveal one aspect fully and hide another so there's still some hype and people have something to experience from scratch, aka pet gameplay. Somehow the big number of pet traits tells me they can't be dull and plain. If they won't be a drastic improvement I have a feeling they'll at least be satisfying. Maybe it's my optimistic side speaking but everything I've seen so far leads me to believe they prepared for it, they prepared for our scrutiny because this time it'll be merciless. People won't forgive them destroying the community's favored EP and you can be dang sure they know it. It's a whole new situation - the first time an EP is "coming back" to TS4 and while EA made some questionable decisions in the past... Would they really be brave enough to deliver a bad pets EP? Would they be brave enough to risk it? I want to believe they wouldn't, and that the past 3 years have taught them something.

Unfortunately, EA has already proved that they can, and will, quite easily ruin a favored EP. Exhibit A is Get to Work. Fans of the series have been waiting for a retail-type EP since TS2. When it finally came, it was a ridiculous disappointment. Retail is broken, the active careers are broken. There was no way to have a home-based business, etc.

EA knew exactly what fans were looking for in a retail EP and what they produced was underwhelming, to put it kindly.

GTW was not a case of EP reintroduction, and it also wasn't a cult favorite like Pets has been since TS1 (Ambitions doesn't count, as it wasn't exactly the same in concept and it was nowhere near community's favorite). GTW was also not centered around retail like Open For Business was and EA never marketed it as such (not saying it's an excuse for it being unplayable now, obviously). Cats&Dogs coming for TS4 is an unique first time situation and I'm sure EA is aware this time bad reviews will do much more damage than absence of toddlers (to give one example) ever could. People will literally tear them apart if they don't deliver good enough pets. There hasn't been this much pressure on them since the launch of this game.

It IS being critical. It IS NOT being negative. To be negative is when say that this EP is just going to be a failure. But I don't think anyone has said that in this thread. People are hoping it will not be a let down. And yes one could expect that the EP gameplay can be lacking, but not with the reason you said. So far out of the 3 EPs released, only Get Together seem to have a decent gameplay. One can speculate that with all these hype they have for CAP, that Cats and Dogs maybe only have CAP going. Maybe I am just not allowing myself to get into the Cats and Dogs hyped, and that's why I am critical. I am sorry you feel that people here are negative. It's your opinion.

I never presented negativity as something inherently bad in my post, I also didn't attack anyone here so why are you sorry and why are you being defensive? I do know it is my opinion. Everything on here is just someone's opinion and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2017
    I think they are mighty proud of

Remember that they can't show your pet being controlled to do things, because pets can't be controlled.

Throwing balls, teaching tricks, scratching chairs are all things that while they're making the trailers in regular play, they have to hope their dog will love them enough to do at a cool time. It's just so much EASIER to do it this way.

I think they're more about personality and adding to the family experience than gameplay.

And in the last moment you see a gazebo... WITH AN OCTAGONAL ROOF.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    I am a little afraid. But, they probably are just trying to show off CAP so much because it is such an innovative feature. It is truly amazing, and way better than previous versions, so maybe that is why they are showing it off so much. The new features of CAP are new. Cats and dogs aren't really new to the franchise. But stencils, stamps, drawing on your pet... that is new. And people will surely use CAP more than the Vet career, so it would make sense to market that more. I am sure the next trailer(s) and the next livestream(s)(after the one on Thursday) will have a focus on the Vet career, Brindleton Bay, and the pets themselves, and maybe even more.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• jmattgamingjmattgaming Posts: 18 Member
    Well personally I'm looking forward to finding out more about the vet career
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Yes, we've yet to see a Vet Career trailer; I'm sure that will come in a couple of weeks.

Right now the game is probably in the final month of debugging for the Vet Career, because we haven't seen so much of that. Maybe throwing a last minute swatch or two. It's that, or they're working on the next EP as we speak.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

I never presented negativity as something inherently bad in my post, I also didn't attack anyone here so why are you sorry and why are you being defensive? I do know it is my opinion. Everything on here is just someone's opinion and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I agree. lol :P
    edited October 2017

People will literally tear them apart if they don't deliver good enough pets. There hasn't been this much pressure on them since the launch of this game.

I sure hope they have this in mind.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I would be worried if it was close to release but we're still a month away and they always break it up into sections for EPs. Unless I've missed something the only things we've had from the actual sims team is the launch trailer which showed CAP, pets, the world and the vet career equally, and the trailer just released that shows CAP. They're doing CAP this week and most likely something else each week until release like they usually do. The only reason it feels so biased towards CAP is because those that went to sims camp released a ton of information on it recently, to tie in with the devs trailer on it. And the devs have been tweeting pics of animals they created as a fun way to engage with the community while they're still limited in what they can reveal.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I am hoping they are going to talk about hidden traits in the live stream. I feel like we know everything else about CAP already. I am very excited for hidden traits.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited October 2017

It was deleted by EA, there are still pictures of the footage on some youtubers channels (won't mention where on here).
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I think this EP is more than just cats and dogs. Take into account the new world which looks incredible in my opinion. We are also getting a color wheel and the ability finally to color and pattern objects. I think the new tools will extend to all objects in the game. The pets look incredible and I did see them singing along with a budding violinist. I had a singing poodle who sang to anything I played on the piano, especially Alley Cat. She also loved Beatles records and was supposed to appear on the Johnny Carson show but didn't due to a glitch.
    I have faith that this will be an awesome expansion pack, have faith.