Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Empty worlds/ CAW

I do not see how it can be done (at the moment), but perhaps in the future we could have more empty worlds/ or (if possible) have a tool or something that would allow us to make more?

In truth, the sims 4 is getting a lot better now that it had time to age, but it still has some restrictions, although this is more from lack of empty worlds (at least, in my opinion)

Idea of a CAW for the sims 4:
Unlike CAW for the sims 3 (which was actually very straight forward), it might be a little more of a challenge to have CAW capabilities for the sims 4. However, if it was to be done, Would it be possible in the future to have the ability to create our own worlds using the Game itself?
Perhaps it could be simplified?
-Maybe it could work by having us build the roads and such, while having preprogrammed background settings? (the backgrounds of subdiviisons, forests, etc?)
-maybe even add more background settings to fit certain themes?

if this was to happen, how would we set it up to where we can establish each neighborhood? How would we be able to keep the game from slowing down?

To reitterate, I do not think it is possible (at the moment), but would it be practical to have? and how would it work?

Comments

• PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    The only way I can see CAW implemented in Sims 4 is if they made the whole world map buildable and allowed us to define and plaice our lots on top of that buildable surface.
    However, it would be hella resource heavy. Most of the computers would not be able to handle it since unlike EA worlds ( that come prerendered) the whole world would have to be rendered at the same time each time you load the game.

It’d be like playing a 1000x1000 lot
    I know some people experience lag on 64x64 lots
    Imagine how laggy large custom world would be?
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    If they gave us a blank template that we could rename and use as a new neighborhood each time we needed to add space, I'd be fine with that. I really don't care what the neighborhoods look like. It's not like the environment or weather is any different from place to place, and I just need more lots in my game. I don't necessarily need to be able to create the neighborhood from scratch. My game is slap full right now and I'm getting kind of done.
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I would be happy enough to be able to work from templates if they gave us plenty of editing options. They could give us the basic town with preset lots, blank like Newcrest came, then we could rename it and modify the neighborhood deco, trees, and backdrops. We could edit our common spaces with all the new pack items that the base game worlds are lacking (basketball courts, bug spawners, food carts). Maybe terrain painting if they want to let us get fancy. I highly doubt we'll ever be able to place extra lots or move them around, unfortunately, because of the way they need to link up to the map selection UI.

Neighborhood editing is my #1 want for this game right now!
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I just mentioned this in another thread elsewhere. But the lack of CAW will always be a big loss and the fat that players cannot even place their own lots anywhere, for whatever reason that is will also be one of the biggest limits that TS4 ever faces

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Being able to change backdrops would mean a lot to me. I would feel much more free with what kind of buildings I could place and stories I could tell.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @SilentKitty How about a CAB tool - Create a Backdrop?

Some players might like it! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • landonsmithlandonsmith Posts: 81 Member
    The only way I can see CAW implemented in Sims 4 is if they made the whole world map buildable and allowed us to define and plaice our lots on top of that buildable surface.
    However, it would be hella resource heavy. Most of the computers would not be able to handle it since unlike EA worlds ( that come prerendered) the whole world would have to be rendered at the same time each time you load the game.

The only solution I see to this, is, have some tool that divides up the world into many different neighborhoods (by doing this, it decreases the size of the actual world per neighborhood), and one it is divided, then we should beable to work from there., then with whatever else is needed, use all these to generate a very simplified map on the over head.

the other solution, is to have a CAW that is simplified.

the reason why the sims 3 worlds were laggy was because the game had to process so much information, as opposed to the sims 4 where each neighborhood is like a really small world sectioned off from the other neighborhoods (I actually dont know this for true, it is just how I been seeing it)
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

You are brilliant! A thousand times yes on that one :smiley:

For example, one map that I really would like to use like a little medieval village has new modern houses right up close. It is so distracting that I seldom use that map. I house unplayed sims there. If I could change the backdrop I could remove those houses and make the world look older.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    This is something that I really want, but I don't see it ever becoming possible in TS4. I think the biggest problems are the maps. All of the maps of the world's we have right now are more custom pictures of what the world looks like instead of an actual bigger view of the world. It is completely different than TS3. So I don't think it will ever be possible. And TS4 is just full of restrictions.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png

You are brilliant! A thousand times yes on that one :smiley:

For example, one map that I really would like to use like a little medieval village has new modern houses right up close. It is so distracting that I seldom use that map. I house unplayed sims there. If I could change the backdrop I could remove those houses and make the world look older.

Create a backdrop, yeah, that sounds really cool. though would it work?
    I would love to have a CAB tool as well!

but overall, I would like to have more worlds, and empty worlds too, so there can be more creativity to explore.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Sims 2 for the meaty stuff where you can get your hands dirty in building, Sims 4 for tasteless gruel.
    I do not see any real problems with building in the game, it is more of the restrictions of not having more lots or more empty worlds.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I'd be happy enough with the occasional free Newcrest-sized neighbourhood.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I would LOVE the Option to add sub-hoods to my main hood instead of always having to have the same ones. I could have 5 of the same to make it one big Town. :(

Just something More than the same no choices. :(
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I would LOVE the Option to add sub-hoods to my main hood instead of always having to have the same ones. I could have 5 of the same to make it one big Town. :(

Just something More than the same no choices. :(

having Sub-hoods is something that would be very efficient to say the least, if the sims 3 had something like that for Create a world and such, they would have been a little easier to run

More is definietly something to desire for, granted the Sims 1 was good enough that it didnt need such a tool, but as the series got older, the urge for creativity has grown
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    They haven't shown anyone how they build worlds. They won't let players into that realm, so all we can do is speculate this time. I don't understand why players haven't been invited to a workshop for TS4 to show them how they create worlds and what would be the drawbacks (because of fake backdrops) of allowing players to try building a world. If they brought smart people (players who understood CAW down to every detail) then they might be able to help players understand why the average player can't have a tool to build their own. It's not like there aren't some smart people out here, who could relay to others how and why this and that would or wouldn't work. But it starts with Maxis letting builders into their marble game. (Marble game...it's my marbles and you can't see them) lol

lol I posted this in the wrong thread, I need to stick to one topic.

ETA: OP the TS4 doesn't have a road system, but doesn't actually need one if we never get a car or taxi system). With that said they really should think about inviting those who built brilliant worlds for TS3 to TS4 workshop so they can see how worlds are built from scratch, then maybe a few modders (who worked with CAW) could do something. (Help create a tool) More worlds will always equal more people interested in a game in my opinion. Things growing stale kills games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

People's pcs never stopped them from downloading worlds others created for TS3, people shouldn't worry about other people's pcs. It never stopped them before though they knew it was an extremely large world etc. I tried to stick to smaller worlds others built because I knew better with the machine I had.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Why not something as in TS2? Lots of open space and the ability to lay down various sizes of empty lots just about anywhere. Those weren't resource heavy then, wouldn't be now, and with all the building going on we'd soon have our own backdrops.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017
    You people wanna merge The Sims with SimCity so badly lol
  • sundaysimmersundaysimmer Posts: 201 Member
    > @Chazzzy said:
    > You people wanna merge The Sims with SimCity so badly lol

No, we just want more ways to be able to be creative. :smile:
    Favourite TS1 packs: Superstar, Makin' Magic. Favourite TS2 packs: University, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life. Favourite TS3 packs: Generations, Seasons, University Life. Favourite TS4 packs: Get Together, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Island Living, Discover University.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough with the occasional free Newcrest-sized neighbourhood.

I agree. At least we know that they CAN DO this! It’s better than nothing at all, which is what we have now! After all of the pleading we have done for more build space, you would think that they would have given us more than one empty world by now! What are they thinking?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    Chazzzy wrote: »

SimCity has a long history of being able to use those assets in The Sims series (until now) to build new worlds (by players) and it's not a new wish but an old one. Bet you didn't know some of the earlier SimCity game assets (neighborhood decorations) are in The Sims original game. :D
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I can't see CAW being possible in TS4 if they can't even implement cars because of the system
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

In what ways? A map creator is not a feature that’s exclusive to SimCity, in fact the only SimCity game that features a map creator is SimCity 4.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I would be happy with just an option to start the world blank and empty, that and the option to bypass cas to go straight to the world icon menu when starting a new game are the things i want most.