March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 has several years left?

Comments

• RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    LesboKnope wrote: »
    The sims 5 probably won't come until sims 4 stops making EA money. Seasons, University and Supernatural, or something like it, haven't been added yet and they've always been popular. Plus, we've only got one vacation spot, and many players would pay for more. Sims 3 became unplayable with too many EPs for a lot of people, which meant that they wouldn't buy more and that EA wouldn't make as much money. The game engine is much more stable now. Releasing sims 5 while they could still make money off sims 4 wouldn't be smart.

Plus, we've got GPs now. Previously, all the packs had to be either small or large. Now, we've got a medium, which enables even more pack. I don't see how Spa day would have worked as an EP and what to add to make it bigger, but it works really well as a GP.

@LesboKnope: That logic doesn't make sense to me as they've been doing that since The Sims 2 was released. The Sims 3 still makes money and I'm pretty positive that if The Sims 2 was available to purchase, it would too!

It doesn't make as much though. Yes, people are still buying it, but more people are going to be invested in the game if they're still waiting for their favourite expansion and that investment is what brings in the big bucks. People becoming satisfied is bad for business and when people are satisfied with their sims 4 games, it's time to move on.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Sims 3 was ended because the engine couldn't handly anymore. Most people can't play sims 3 with all packs installed. They really couldn't have added more to that game..
    Sims 2 was ended, because technology (for games) had advanced very quickly in the years it was out (it has slowed down since then) and they felt that they needed to take advantage of this.

Sims 4 will last longer, I assume, because the live service means they can update and fix bugs more easily. But I guess all we can do is wait and see.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Sims 4 will last a little longer because it gets less stuff. Stuff packs don’t bog down the game like EP’s and even GP’s are less consuming than expansions. We’re 4 years in and only getting EP number 4, but we’re on SP number 13? That’s 3x the amount of stuff packs per EP. The live service won’t affect the game’s bugs, it has bugs that still aren’t being touched after years. If anything bugs will be what closes the door for Sims 4 and opens the door for a sequel.
  • DeathCabForCutieDeathCabForCutie Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm personally betting on a 2020 release for the Sims 5, and that's being generous. I feel Sims 4 has a strong foundation that can carry a lot more content, and it'd be a shame to drop it now. But it's about what ever makes money, and Seasons and University will surely be a goldmine for EA.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I'm personally betting on a 2020 release for the Sims 5, and that's being generous. I feel Sims 4 has a strong foundation that can carry a lot more content, and it'd be a shame to drop it now. But it's about what ever makes money, and Seasons and University will surely be a goldmine for EA.

I agree with that - for the 20th anniversary!
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member

Yep I'm in the 20th anniversary club too ;)

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2017
    Two years is ridiculous. Sims 4 isn't having EPs rushed out; it seems to be moving at a more meandering pace. It makes money. Why fix what isn't broken? (Yes, I know there's plenty broken, but I meant money-making terms). People aren't going to buy for two games, so why hire more people to make it when you can still pump so much out of Sims 4?

Sims 3 couldn't reasonably go on longer. The game was bloated and increasingly laggy. Sims 4 works on an engine that can take more weight, so it can last longer.

If there's a Sims 5, I can't see EA even starting design for two years. After all, right now, how much of a technical jump would SIms 5 be? The CAS jump in Sims 4 was huge. For the computers we're using now, as compared to the base game computers, sure, they're better, but not by the leaps and bounds that the Sims 2-3 transition or Sims 3-4 was. Especially not with the art style Maxis took.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Two years is ridiculous. Sims 4 isn't having EPs rushed out; it seems to be moving at a more meandering pace. It makes money. Why fix what isn't broken? (Yes, I know there's plenty broken, but I meant money-making terms). People aren't going to buy for two games, so why hire more people to make it when you can still pump so much out of Sims 4?

Sims 3 couldn't reasonably go on longer. The game was bloated and increasingly laggy. Sims 4 works on an engine that can take more weight, so it can last longer.

If there's a Sims 5, I can't see EA even starting design for two years. After all, right now, how much of a technical jump would SIms 5 be? The CAS jump in Sims 4 was huge. For the computers we're using now, as compared to the base game computers, sure, they're better, but not by the leaps and bounds that the Sims 2-3 transition or Sims 3-4 was. Especially not with the art style Maxis took.

@Loanet: I get what you're saying; however, in the past two games have always been worked on at once. It's not just about the technical jump; there are loads of things that can be improved!
  • DakoataDakoata Posts: 13 New Member
    Werewolves have my vote! Need some wolves in my life.
    Besides, don't forget that Sims 5 would have new minimum specs. If not enough people have those specs, the game is going to fail.

Even as Cats&Dogs minimum specs undergoes a fairly modest upgrade with people finally switching laptops for desktops but not all of them sure of what to get, the next step up is likely to to be even higher. Not everybody can afford a new computer.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Besides, don't forget that Sims 5 would have new minimum specs. If not enough people have those specs, the game is going to fail.

Even as Cats&Dogs minimum specs undergoes a fairly modest upgrade with people finally switching laptops for desktops but not all of them sure of what to get, the next step up is likely to to be even higher. Not everybody can afford a new computer.
    That's an interesting thought. Maybe they're planning to stretch it out in part so that people have more time to catch up with the progression of technology.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    edited October 2017
    Triplis wrote: »

That's an interesting thought. Maybe they're planning to stretch it out in part so that people have more time to catch up with the progression of technology.

Yes, that's exactly it. There have been many games in the past that were good games, or at least games that everybody would have bought, but were just impossible for the system you owned to play, and you couldn't get a new one. Graphics Cards especially are forever evolving and the best ones cost a fortune.

If you look at the graphics for Sims 3, it's so obvious they were going for realism. This time, they've switched to the Pixar-esque style - which is good at holding up over time. Compare Team Fortress 2, especially compared to Team Fortress Classic, to Lara Croft, who's taken her graphics in a more realistic direction (apart from... y'know...). Both are successful. But which looks better 10 years later?

Heck, a chunk of the reason Valve hasn't bothered with TF3 is because TF2's cartoonish style aged so well.

This is another reason why I think Sims 4 will keep going - the art style was chosen as one that stands up well over time.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I think their plan to move to a "live service" with the Sims 4 meant increasing the lifespan for this version. The creation process for content seems to be very different this time, with more content in the works at once and being released more frequently. I imagine this will keep more people around longer to buy more stuff, and thus keep the game going longer.

I personally really enjoy this version of The Sims and don't mind it going on for years to come. :) Yes it has it's flaws, but I am able to cope and still have fun. I am always looking forward to what they got coming around the corner!

agreed with everything you've said
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017

EA lags behind on innovation sometimes. They were slow to get on the mobile band. They are slow to get on the iPad bandwagon. They were slow on CAS, how many years had 'Eve' character creation been out when EA decides they should do that to? years. What is the new innovation in gaming right now, leaving EA in the dust? VR. By the time EA gets around to virtual reality it will be ordinary.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Have they confirmed that the console will get all dlc? I read it as the dlc will not differ in any way from the pc version, not that the game is guaranteed all dlc. I've not read anywhere they have committed to bringing all 13 stuff packs, game packs and expansions over.

I think it will depend on console sales as to how much dlc it will get, I don't see many people who have bought everything for pc happy to re buy everything again. I know I'm not although a console version did raise my interest.

As for the pc version and how long it has left? I couldn't say, I know they have said it won't have the usual time line but I also feel that game is three years old now. Three years old. It's not a new release anymore and as much as I would like to see the issues fixed with the game and the game fully fleshed out I think at the current dlc schedule that will either take too long or perhaps it's just not possible.

Hm, maybe I misread it. I believe in Wulfsimmers thread about Get To Work footage being in the console trailer (which was actually base game) SimGuruDrake implied that they would be rolling out all the DLC.

Could be wrong!

Perhaps it's me that's wrong? I'm not sure. That's just my interpretation of the FAQ and I remember Sim Guru Duke saying on Twitter to watch this space about DLC as he wasn't sure if it was all coming.

But that was not long after the announcement. Things may have changed. I didn't think the first expansion they would roll out would be City Living so who knows what the plan is lol

I'm sure if they can get all the DLC on console they will. I notice though the console will not get boost weeks or special events.

In regards to all dlc coming to console nothing has been confirmed. Its probably going to depend on how the console version and the first dlc packs sell.
    I'm pretty sure The Sims 4 has at least 3 years left. Big expansions such as seasons and university are still missing, and the team hasn't still done an expansion with a completely brand new idea that the series has never done before. The team also most likely has a lot ideas for game packs too, so I don't think we're going to see news of The Sims 5 until at least 2020.

Get together as far as i know was new was it not? Dont think we have ever had a club system before?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I'm pretty sure The Sims 4 has at least 3 years left. Big expansions such as seasons and university are still missing, and the team hasn't still done an expansion with a completely brand new idea that the series has never done before. The team also most likely has a lot ideas for game packs too, so I don't think we're going to see news of The Sims 5 until at least 2020.

Get together as far as i know was new was it not? Dont think we have ever had a club system before?

Just the set, uneditable clubs in Sims 3 University. The full-on club system was new, and very welcome. Can't imagine not having it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Of course S4 has several years left. Lots of the big money makers (Uni, Seasons... etc) have not been released yet. There is no way on EARTH the developers would stop producing content for S4 without even releasing those. And, if they were to end S4 now or very soon and then release S5, they would probably lose sales as people wouldn't trust the developers / EA and wouldn't buy things, thinking they may end the game abruptly again.
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

edited October 2017
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    Of course S4 has several years left. Lots of the big money makers (Uni, Seasons... etc) have not been released yet. There is no way on EARTH the developers would stop producing content for S4 without even releasing those. And, if they were to end S4 now or very soon and then release S5, they would probably lose sales as people wouldn't trust the developers / EA and wouldn't buy things, thinking they may end the game abruptly again.

I personally will do my research next time before buying another base game instead of automatically buying it for $59.99 at launch for the very reason you have stated. I dont dislike the sims 4 but as a consumer for a game thats 3 years old in a series thats well known for churning out content i expected more by now. Not to sound ungrateful.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I hope it ends sooner than later. This version is too shallow.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I would like to see superstar and Farming packs too, among others.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Maybe it last an extra year (whatever that year would be) since we are behind on the release of 'pets' compared to the other games. A pet pack was released in the other games within the second years of all, we are in the third year for TS4 as of this past Sept. But that's not to say Cats and Dogs were delayed in any way, just that it is coming out a year later than the rest of the games released their pet packs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I think ts5 if it's gonna happen will come in 2020 like someone else stated.
  • ResSteelResSteel Posts: 63 Member
    I think The Sims 4 is indeed "Just Getting Started". Its taking some time, but slowly they are adding in things that we have been asking for. Example, we asked for toddlers and pets. Check and check! Seasons will most likely be coming soon as well! (Hopefully!)
    edited October 2017
    Part of the reason we don't have more is because they're stretching it out. By making a pack like Supernatrual into five packs, the lifestates are deeper and the whole thing makes more money over a longer time.

By making Cats&Dogs alone, they can stretch out the creation of more pets in future packs, and the pets are deeper.