Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is Occulis Rift and do I need it for the sims 4?

SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
I haven't been able to play my sims4 game since about the time toddlers came out. I have all the packs up to City living, which I don't have. My cheap little Hewlett-Packard worked pretty well for awhile. I am looking to get an Asus gaming laptop soon. I want to be able to have all of the packs that will be released with the sims 4 and possibly Sims 5 if it makes an appearance in the next several years. When I was reading comments about the computer I was looking at , someone mention it didn't have Occulas Rift and thus couldn't do VR.... I have no idea what this is, and want to know if it is something I should have for the Sims 4?

Comments

• chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited October 2017
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to play my sims4 game since about the time toddlers came out. I have all the packs up to City living, which I don't have. My cheap little Hewlett-Packard worked pretty well for awhile. I am looking to get an Asus gaming laptop soon. I want to be able to have all of the packs that will be released with the sims 4 and possibly Sims 5 if it makes an appearance in the next several years. When I was reading comments about the computer I was looking at , someone mention it didn't have Occulas Rift and thus couldn't do VR.... I have no idea what this is, and want to know if it is something I should have for the Sims 4?

Occulas rift is for virtual reality.. hence "VR"
    Virtual reality. You would need a headset if you wanted VR.. personally that wouuld make me sick.
    Absolutely not needed for the sims. I'm pretty sure the sims is not in VR anyhow.
    Just thought i would mention.. i doubt any laptop brought now would be able to play ts5 (if there is one) on average a laptop used for gaming lasts arround 3 or 4 years before being completely outdated.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    If you want something to last that can be upgraded in the future , desktop is the best way to go. As chesterbigbird mentioned, laptops only last 4-5 years before they are outdated. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. Also laptop processor and video card can not be upgraded. You are stuck with the specs you buy.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member

Occulas rift is for virtual reality.. hence "VR"
    Virtual reality. You would need a headset if you wanted VR.. personally that wouuld make me sick.
    Absolutely not needed for the sims. I'm pretty sure the sims is not in VR anyhow.
    Just thought i would mention.. i doubt any laptop brought now would be able to play ts5 (if there is one) on average a laptop used for gaming lasts arround 3 or 4 years before being completely outdated.
    Thank you so much for the answer.... no I don't think I will be playing virtual reality with the sims 4.... lol. I figure to hold onto the lap top about 5 years. Will purchase a 3 year warranty with it and then a 2 year warranty after that. I just wasn't sure when the sims 5 would debut, if it does.

We don't know when and if they will issue a sims 5. EA won't even tell us most of the future plans for TS4. We only know that they have upped the computer specs requirements for the new Cats and dogs ep but we don't even know what is in the ep

We don't know when and if they will issue a sims 5. EA won't even tell us most of the future plans for TS4. We only know that they have upped the computer specs requirements for the new Cats and dogs ep but we don't even know what is in the ep

Lol we know you can't control the pets.. so I don't hold much hope for this EP LOL.
    Judging by the crappy looking textures in the game so far i bet the dogs and cats will not look good either :p
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited October 2017
    We do know there is a color wheel which I'm told is more like a paint system and not like the color wheel in the sims 3. The color wheel in ts34 is for pets only.
    We do know there is a color wheel which I'm told is more like a paint system and not like the color wheel in the sims 3. The color wheel in ts34 is for pets only.

Didn't know about that.. still not going to buy LOL.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    If you want something to last that can be upgraded in the future , desktop is the best way to go. As chesterbigbird mentioned, laptops only last 4-5 years before they are outdated. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. Also laptop processor and video card can not be upgraded. You are stuck with the specs you buy.

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately I don't have the room for a desktop, and I am getting too old to take a desktop to the shop when I have problems with it. A laptop is so much easier for me. I do want to get a decent graphics card on it though. I was thinking of getting a 1070 card, and the asus laptop I was thinking of getting only has a 128 SSD along with the 1tb hard drive, because going a step up from that is so expensive. When I transfer over the game will the computer know what files go in what, or will I have to tell the computer which drive to put the stuff in? I don't know what goes where... lol. I will probably have my daughters boyfriend transfer the stuff over for me since he knows a bit more about computers than I do, it I don't even know if he knows what should go in the ssd. Is having an ssd even important for the sims4? I don't know if I will be downloading custom content or mods because I am not used to dealing with that stuff. But, I do plan on getting all the packs that come out for the sims 4. , so I do want something capable of handling them all.before I buy the comp I will come on here with stats and questions.
    edited October 2017

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately I don't have the room for a desktop, and I am getting too old to take a desktop to the shop when I have problems with it. A laptop is so much easier for me. I do want to get a decent graphics card on it though. I was thinking of getting a 1070 card, and the asus laptop I was thinking of getting only has a 128 SSD along with the 1tb hard drive, because going a step up from that is so expensive. When I transfer over the game will the computer know what files go in what, or will I have to tell the computer which drive to put the stuff in? I don't know what goes where... lol. I will probably have my daughters boyfriend transfer the stuff over for me since he knows a bit more about computers than I do, it I don't even know if he knows what should go in the ssd. Is having an ssd even important for the sims4? I don't know if I will be downloading custom content or mods because I am not used to dealing with that stuff. But, I do plan on getting all the packs that come out for the sims 4. , so I do want something capable of handling them all.before I buy the comp I will come on here with stats and questions.

A 1070 is a good card.
    The sims 4 does not benefit much at all from a SSD. so your fine with installing that onto the HDD.
    You will have to re install the game and tell origin which drive you want it installed to
    https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/127822/is-it-possible-to-install-games-to-different-hard-drives
    The SSD will be strictly used for windows (faster boot time) and some other small apps you may have. Everything else games/video/pictures you will need to put on the HDD. also you will want to move your documents folder to your HDD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw
    Out of interest what's your budget for the laptop and how much is the one your getting? (and what one is it?) I maybe able to find something better for you :)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide