Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TIMING!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT TIMING! AND IT'S A PROBLEM

Snail pace sims (Sims 4)

This is no fault of the sim character itself but the timing of the world it lives in. It goes TOO FAST. It take to long to do a action Like walking upstairs could take 20 seconds which means it takes 20 minutes just to walk up the stairs in sims time!!!

The Sims need to rectify this flaw becuase it mean your sims can do less in the space of oneday and unrealistic to do actions that are even the most simple.

What it should be more like:

You have different speeds your sims game plays

Super fast: 1 minute = 10 seconds
Fast mode: 1 minute = 20 seconds
Medium mode: 1 minute = 30 seconds
Slow mode: 1 minute = 1 minute (60 seconds)

Super fast:30mins = 5mins
Fast mode: 30mins = 10mins
Medium mode: 30mins = 15mins
Slow mode: 30mins = 30 mins

You also be able to rewind at least 24 hrs in sims time.

This may even help with lagging

Comments

• NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    I agree 100% with you. And there are people that will say that we have a mod to chance that, and i say that i dont want to use mods, and if there is so many people using that mod, i think that developers should have that in consideration.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    That would be great :) Even fast and slow mode would be good. I feel sad when my Sims don't have enough time to do things because the time goes too fast. Sometimes I cheat and make their needs bar full so they can do things like play with their kids, go on a date etc.
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    It would be great if these times could be modified in the options for the player to set them the way they want it to be.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I'm using mods to slow down sim time (and I recommend MCCC to everyone for this sole purpose) but I hope in future games we'll see improvements and ways to customize how much we want one sim minute to last irl. Doesn't seem like a complicated feature to implement, if a modder could do that so can the devs.
  • SmilinSimsSmilinSims Posts: 560 Member
    I totally agree!
    Do you want to WIN the new Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack??? To WIN you MUST be subscribed to my YOUTUBE channel Watch contest video for rules!

acrehk.jpg

• ScottyiskawaiiScottyiskawaii Posts: 7 New Member
    I agree as well!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    No, 30 minutes should not equal 30 minutes in the game. Do you realize cooking animations are the longest running animation set in this game. It's takes so long for them to cook because they pause and look up at the sky..eliminate useless animation of looking up in sky (even when they have high skills) like in Virtual families, then time doesn't need to be slowed down. Or just create a mood booster and fill all motives and you have plenty of time. It's my belief because people complained about not enough time so many animations and interactions were cut to just get to the point of things. But I do think unnecessary animation of the Sim paused looking up in the sky while they aren't mixing that bowl of food, is silly and worthless time waster.

ETA: I hate real time games, btw. So slooooooooow to get anything done. Here is how you speed up getting enough time, stop multitasking..hello, sitting at pc to write novel but your Sim is stopped while looking at something on the wall, end the multitasking (cancel them looking at picture or listening to radio) they go back to working. Viola, time is saved and then they can watch TV or whatever, since it takes less time to do these things separately than it does for them to stop and do these things together.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I don't think the problem is time, but the Sims. They've made many of the interactions/behavior of the Sims consist of these Sims taking their sweet time, and it's fun to watch them be all expressive the first dozen times. Eventually, it just gets tiring to watch the same thing over and over, and I'm more concerned with the game/goals I have than my Sim's facial expression at every waking moment.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    edited October 2017
    I find myself really not even paying much attention to the time. I do notice when the sun is setting in game, and will glance at the game clock. But, I'm not worried too much. I did use MCCC to slow the time down, once, and I think I placed it on a wrong setting for my taste. Time seemed to drag. Not exactly what I wanted. I shall have to try it again, and not slow it down quite so much. (Now, if I could only remember what number I set it at …) I tend to make the children do their homework/projects right after they get home from school. And considering I was never one to use the cheats to bring up their needs, I do find myself cheating to Make Happy, when needed. I never do so for the toddlers, however. I still want that challenge. I was a bit surprised when I last played that the toddler was out in the back yard playing on her jungle gym after ten at night. I didn't even have to send the Dad after her. He was already on his way. What a good dad he is.

I recall I played this way back in Sims2. I wasn't really concerned with the time of day. Sometimes I'd send the child Sims to bed because they were often exhausted when they first got back from school. Then I'd get them up, halfway through their rested bar, to have them do their homework. If there was enough time, I'd send them back to bed to finish sleeping.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't have a crushing need to mirror RL.

ETA: I do find myself nervously watching the time if a curfew has been set!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DaeneliaDaenelia Posts: 757 Member
    I'm glad I am not the only one. I do get that planning and time management is one of the challenges in The Sims (any of them, really), but in TS4 it's just harsh to have to let more than half the activities I would like to carry out slide by. I'd like to have a little bit of a chance to do fun stuff with my sims, without having to resort to cheats or spend all the vacation days they manage to build up.

Because I don't want the sims to reflect myt every day life... and this just crushingly reminds me how little time I have IRL to do fun stuff... like playing sims. It's slightly depressing if the sims don't get more fun out of their lives than me. :(
    Dae's Sims 4 Houses -see what I've been building.
  • ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
    Agree.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I'm not a fan of games that run in real time, way to slow for me. I do agree that sims take to long for certain actions. I think, instead of stuff being tied to an animation, they should have a time that an action will run in game.

Say cooking, lets say the average common meal takes 1h30(ish)min irl, make it so 1h30ish game time is all it takes to cook a meal and ensure the animations to fit properly in that time frame

For eating a small meal takes about 10min without interruptions, make eating a small meal take only about 10min in game time. If a sim is also talking I would add another 10-20 min to allow for some animation of that and also because people do eat slower when talking instead of just shoveling food down.

In our current games state I would add options like "eat quickly" to the fridge, in this option sims would shovel food down as fast as possible and not look for another action to do (no multi tasking). For example when you wake up late in the morning and have work, you don't casually sit and chat with everyone, you are eating as fast as possible. However a family dinner around the table I could see taking maybe a half hour- hour where everyone is being more casual has a few servings and is chatting.
    Again with showers I would add fast shower, this would just be you sim going as quickly as possible to get clean, wash their hair a quick soap and then out.

I think some options for a fast or focused type of work mode where sims just do the task assigned and try to get it done as quickly as possible would add a lot to this game. I'm not sure the clock needs to be slowed down to do this though.
  • ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
    Everything should be converted to whatever Sim-time is - I recently clocked my Sim taking 4 hours to get home from Windenburg to Myshuno. Weren't the loading screen supposed to ease time strains?
  • YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    to me it's mostly frustrating when I attempt to play with big mansions and it takes the sims like 4 hours to get from the living room to upstairs bedroom or something.

-Yarden.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    Agreed.

With the lag and the time moving too fast we can barely make stories. Right now it's mostly all about goals and needs management.
    But I think 5 or 6 seconds per sim minute would be enough to flesh out situations better without making days last too long.
    Remember that some interactions need time, like programing or live streaming games.
    Plus seasons is probably coming. We wouldn't want to play the same season for a week in real time.
  • S1MSLYS1S__QARDS1MSLYS1S__QARD Posts: 206 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of games that run in real time, way to slow for me. I do agree that sims take to long for certain actions. I think, instead of stuff being tied to an animation, they should have a time that an action will run in game.

Say cooking, lets say the average common meal takes 1h30(ish)min irl, make it so 1h30ish game time is all it takes to cook a meal and ensure the animations to fit properly in that time frame

For eating a small meal takes about 10min without interruptions, make eating a small meal take only about 10min in game time. If a sim is also talking I would add another 10-20 min to allow for some animation of that and also because people do eat slower when talking instead of just shoveling food down.

In our current games state I would add options like "eat quickly" to the fridge, in this option sims would shovel food down as fast as possible and not look for another action to do (no multi tasking). For example when you wake up late in the morning and have work, you don't casually sit and chat with everyone, you are eating as fast as possible. However a family dinner around the table I could see taking maybe a half hour- hour where everyone is being more casual has a few servings and is chatting.
    Again with showers I would add fast shower, this would just be you sim going as quickly as possible to get clean, wash their hair a quick soap and then out.

I think some options for a fast or focused type of work mode where sims just do the task assigned and try to get it done as quickly as possible would add a lot to this game. I'm not sure the clock needs to be slowed down to do this though.

That's why I suggested time options If you want to play in a faster mode you can or slower mode its up to you the user.
  • MysticTigg5MysticTigg5 Posts: 19 Member
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves in the game! It takes SO long to do normal activities that there is barely time to take care of basic needs much less extra activities! I do not understand why my sims pause so often when doing actions. If I send them to bed, they often stand at the edge of the bed for what seems like 30 Sim minutes. How is that realistic? And when eating then often sit at stare for 15 Sim minutes between bites. It's nuts. If they could get the timeing setup better we could play a more realistic feeling game. It would be SO much better and more fun!!
  • MysticTigg5MysticTigg5 Posts: 19 Member
    Does anyone else notice that, sometimes, it feels like the sims pause longer when you speed up the clock to get them through activities faster? They often seem to stand and stare off in the distance doing nothing at all when I have several actions lined up for them.
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    There is no real need to tie interactions/animations to the game clock - it can be tied to a timer, but not necessarily the one on our screens.

What if there was another clock and that clock was the one we see on our screens? So, our notion of the passage of Sim time is linked to this new clock on the screen.

WHAT HAPPENS IF WE PAUSE THE NEW CLOCK - STOP THAT SUCKER DEAD IN ITS TRACKS?

Nothing! The game would happily chug along as normal.

Can this new clock trigger a Sim to go to work? Yep. Can it dictated other triggers? Yep. Does it affect animations speeds, etc? Nope.

I once wrote a very long, detailed, explanation of this; HOWEVER, Maxis/forum moderation deleted the post - they nuked it from orbit - as if to hide evidence.

It was actually deleted - nuked.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Snail pace sims (Sims 4)

This is no fault of the sim character itself but the timing of the world it lives in. It goes TOO FAST. It take to long to do a action Like walking upstairs could take 20 seconds which means it takes 20 minutes just to walk up the stairs in sims time!!!

The Sims need to rectify this flaw becuase it mean your sims can do less in the space of oneday and unrealistic to do actions that are even the most simple.

The problem isn't the time the game runs in at all! It's how long animations take to play. TS4 timing is longer than previous sims games, at least it's what was stated by sim guru's, I haven't tested it though.

Multitasking and overall animation is what makes the game really slow. Sims take too much time to bathe in this game, they take too much time to talk, to eat and they are constantly stopping every few seconds, as if they were in an almost vegetable state, because there's this random sim 3 houses away that wants to talk to my sim for some reason. Every time multitasking kicks in, my sims stop for a few seconds and do nothing.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Snail pace sims (Sims 4)

The problem isn't the time the game runs in at all! It's how long animations take to play. TS4 timing is longer than previous sims games, at least it's what was stated by sim guru's, I haven't tested it though.

Multitasking and overall animation is what makes the game really slow. Sims take too much time to bathe in this game, they take too much time to talk, to eat and they are constantly stopping every few seconds, as if they were in an almost vegetable state, because there's this random sim 3 houses away that wants to talk to my sim for some reason. Every time multitasking kicks in, my sims stop for a few seconds and do nothing.

True. They are still sitting in tub, playing in water (not bathing) hygiene bar is full...time waster. Get out of tub. They stop eating to look at something on wall or pots hanging overhead..time wasters.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Snail pace sims (Sims 4)

Right, and the slowing down of the timing as well as the animations is what really makes the game such a drag to play at times. I tested it the other day, and it still takes my Sims upwards of half of an entire day to dine out.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Snail pace sims (Sims 4)

True. They are still sitting in tub, playing in water (not bathing) hygiene bar is full...time waster. Get out of tub. They stop eating to look at something on wall or pots hanging overhead..time wasters.

OMG I hate with a passion when they are eating and start staring at pots and paintings. It drives me crazy. I don't mind that they slow down to talk to each other but staring at random stuff while eating is ridiculous. When they are eating alone, it should be like three bites and done.