Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oh My God Simmers...

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited October 2017
    Simpkin wrote: »
    My kinda thread.
    I loathe it when I have some problem and the first suggestion is to remove CC/mods. They're not the original stuff and the most irrelevant thing in my problems. It's like I say I have a problem with my game and people would suggest boiling potatoes instead of frying them. Completely irrelevant. Absolutely nothing to do with my game and I have no idea why it's even mentioned.

The reason it's the first suggestion is because a lot of people do use mods but they don't bother to check to see if their mods still work, or check for updates. So it makes sense to first ask if a player is using CC/Mods -- even the devs will ask that if you're working with one of them to solve a problem.

no it doesn't make sense. CC and mods have nothing to do with the original game. There is no reason why anyone should use that stuff. And to have it as the first defautl question when reporting a problem is so...beyond irrelevant.

My suggestion to you, if it annoys you that much, is to clearly state that you are not using any mods/CC in your game. That way people who are willing to know that you don't use them. Otherwise, it is very logical for someone who has no idea what your set up is to ask for you to disable mods/CC.

I agree. Some Simmers expect us to be mind readers. I always state this with noCCs etc., hashtags in my builds as well.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    My kinda thread.
    I loathe it when I have some problem and the first suggestion is to remove CC/mods. They're not the original stuff and the most irrelevant thing in my problems. It's like I say I have a problem with my game and people would suggest boiling potatoes instead of frying them. Completely irrelevant. Absolutely nothing to do with my game and I have no idea why it's even mentioned.

The reason it's the first suggestion is because a lot of people do use mods but they don't bother to check to see if their mods still work, or check for updates. So it makes sense to first ask if a player is using CC/Mods -- even the devs will ask that if you're working with one of them to solve a problem.

no it doesn't make sense. CC and mods have nothing to do with the original game. There is no reason why anyone should use that stuff. And to have it as the first defautl question when reporting a problem is so...beyond irrelevant.

My suggestion to you, if it annoys you that much, is to clearly state that you are not using any mods/CC in your game. That way people who are willing to know that you don't use them. Otherwise, it is very logical for someone who has no idea what your set up is to ask for you to disable mods/CC.

I agree. Some Simmers expect us to be mind readers. I always state this with noCCs etc., hashtags in my builds as well.

Which I for one totally appreciate as I always look to see if a builder used mods, cc, and even moo or other cheats. Even if I really love another simmers build - if I see it has cc, mods or uses cheats - I will pass on downloading that content. But I will sometimes still let the creator know I liked their build, or sims or whatever. I respect the creator for letting us know such content was used for sure.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    I commiserate with those of you who prefer not to use mods. Unfortunately, it is common knowledge that many bugs and issues will never have an official fix. Previous versions of The Sims franchise stand as evidence to that fact. Unpaid modders post corrections and fixes within days, when the company that is actually collecting the money stands by and ignores some really blatant issues.

In particular, Sims 3 would have been unplayable for many if not for the hard work of a cadre of very dedicated modders. To this day, many of the issues were never fixed. The same is happening now with Sims 4. We're really fortunate that there are people willing to keep the game ticking along, for free.

For those of you who make the choice not to use mods, bring more pressure to bear on the company. Certain things should not be tolerated. I was very happy to see, for example, how everyone stood up about the ball pit. Yet, that is a relatively simple fix (again, already fixed by modders.) I wish that the company would tackle and try to squash/correct the issues which are not so simple, such as problems with the game mechanics at the very core of the software design.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • SimReviewsSimReviews Posts: 211 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Everytime I read a suggestion or a request, people are silenced by comments like "Modders can do the rest!" "CC is here for that" LIKE GOD....WHY ARE WE HERE THEN? Not everyone uses mods.

all i use is mccc and that is the only mod i use. i also use a few cc hairs and shoes sometimes to mix it up. also makeup.
    that's it.
    I'm an avid sims4 simmer born in France and living with a gogeous husband and 2 twin baby girls, working as a game developer & cc maker. and looking for a teaching job ;p
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2017
    Because we live in a microwave society and people want fixes fast and CC and mods are just a fast option, that's all. I've been using mods and CC since the Sims 2, so I don't have a problem with them. I know the difference between good and bad mods and I enjoy making my own CC just so I have a more diverse color palette to work around with. I really should learn how to recolor some floors and walls. I can never find the right shade of orange, yellow, or green for my rooms.

When uploading my builds, I do try to respect others and upload it mod/CC free except for the school lots for obvious reasons. Can't say my builds are cheat free because MOO and debug do make builds a lot more enjoyable.

I can state each and every bug and glitch I've had so far that were not connected to mods/CC for the Sims 4 from incest to cupcake glitch to stretch skeleton. I get tired of mods/CCs being the scapegoat to Sims 4 problems. They aren't always. Just takes some easy and fast testing to see if a mod/CC really is the cause of a bug or not. Plus there are nice lists set by awesome people like @luthienrising to help Simmers maintain their mods to the current versions. Sims 4 makes it extremely easy to tell the difference compared to previous iterations and the repair feature is nice if a mod does tamper with files to reset the files. Do the forced patches break game code and mods? Absolutely, but Simmers do need to let Gurus know if a patch does cause a bug. For mods, there are programs, the mod community, and forums with a mod section to make sure if there are any updates to the most current mods and mod updates. It does take work to maintain your Sims game whether you choose to use mods or not. Many issues can be caused simply by computers not meeting minimum game specs. That is actually can cause more harm to your Sims game because you are essentially overheating and killing your computer.

I never understood the taboo with mods in the Sims community. I mean Skyrim has mods, Minecraft has mods, and even MMO games have mods. Their communities are ok with them and they actually encourage coding discussions related to them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Because we live in a microwave society and people want fixes fast and CC and mods are just a fast option, that's all. I've been using mods and CC since the Sims 2, so I don't have a problem with them. I know the difference between good and bad mods and I enjoy making my own CC just so I have a more diverse color palette to work around with. I really should learn how to recolor some floors and walls. I can never find the right shade of orange, yellow, or green for my rooms.

When uploading my builds, I do try to respect others and upload it mod/CC free except for the school lots for obvious reasons. Can't say my builds are cheat free because MOO and debug do make builds a lot more enjoyable.

I can state each and every bug and glitch I've had so far that were not connected to mods/CC for the Sims 4 from incest to cupcake glitch to stretch skeleton. I get tired of mods/CCs being the scapegoat to Sims 4 problems. They aren't always. Just takes some easy and fast testing to see if a mod/CC really is the cause of a bug or not. Plus there are nice lists set by awesome people like @luthienrising to help Simmers maintain their mods to the current versions. Sims 4 makes it extremely easy to tell the difference compared to previous iterations and the repair feature is nice if a mod does tamper with files to reset the files. Do the forced patches break game code and mods? Absolutely, but Simmers do need to let Gurus know if a patch does cause a bug. For mods, there are programs, the mod community, and forums with a mod section to make sure if there are any updates to the most current mods and mod updates. It does take work to maintain your Sims game whether you choose to use mods or not. Many issues can be caused simply by computers not meeting minimum game specs. That is actually can cause more harm to your Sims game because you are essentially overheating and killing your computer.

I never understood the taboo with mods in the Sims community. I mean Skyrim has mods, Minecraft has mods, and even MMO games have mods. Their communities are ok with them and they actually encourage coding discussions related to them.

Because other communities are not as blinded as this one. They feel it is S O W R O N G to dare and judge the game. So we when you call out the bugs or missing things, they quickly suggest mods to shut up people
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Eh? That's not why people suggest mods. They suggest them to try and be helpful.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Eh? That's not why people suggest mods. They suggest them to try and be helpful.

Fun fact:- One of the reasons I made the thread is because of you :) You try and justify wanting modders to create stuff so devs can "focus on other things". The job of a dev is to do everything :wink:

ee094ca5e8dc961754e6f2629469184b.png

96a9a0cc05c1a4995b56de6a19ca3f4b.png
    699fb0cbe8f47db8e8680215c4b0c223.png

Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited October 2017
    I don't think that negates what I just said, especially seeing as your point appeared to be about people (not necessarily myself) suggesting mods for people with an existing problem rather than waiting for it to be fixed by EA, not about myself particularly who as you rightly point out has views as above. And even my views are not about "excusing" the developers, it expects more work from them in fact as it is harder to make a broad range of different base objects with different behaviours than it is to simply make an extensive range of mimics.
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    My kinda thread.

Lol well that's because some mods break with game updates. As in they might have edited something in GTW but with city living installed, that CAS content got broken because it's based on something that got updated. I had a long issue with random sims being generated with the exact same ugly face.. and it bothered me so much and i kept ignoring it. Turned out it was a batch of CAS things by a certain creator that were out of date. I had to sift through my CC to know those were the ones causing the issue. Sometimes it is CC.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I think people who avoid CC altogether have a really narrow idea about what CC is or what it does. It's not some scary game breaking thing. I have loads and loads and loads of CC and my game runs just fine cause I'm careful of what I add to the game and how it affects it. I try to limit how many mods i have so that i remember them all and remember to update them/check for updates with every new pack I install. Objects and CAS stuff however, I go all the way with those, no limit, if i find something I'd like to have in the game I download it.

That said, other players are completely free if they're perfectly content with what the game offers as is. I personally don't so I get alot of TS2/TS3 conversions and classy higher quality furniture/clothes.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Because other communities are not as blinded as this one. They feel it is S O W R O N G to dare and judge the game. So we when you call out the bugs or missing things, they quickly suggest mods to shut up people
    Uhh... if someone's problem can be solved with a mod, how is that a bad thing? Unless you feel that the game needs to be constantly criticized for some reason and mods are somehow undermining that effort??
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    The only mod I used for Sims3 was the MasterController one and that only after the game was finished. I steer clear of all of them in Sims 4. Too stressful.

So - if my game starts up ok after Patching and others' games don't it is not fair to blame Maxis and I usually pipe up with my experience.

I found myself needing a plethora of Twallen's mods, found at NRaas, Industries, just to get Sims3 to function. I played on a gaming rig, too. He was also very quick to update his mods, much like Deaderpool is with his MCCC mod, which I love. This from a person who was scared to death to even use Boolprop back in Sims2. I've come a long way … .
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Eliharb wrote: »
    I think people who avoid CC altogether have a really narrow idea about what CC is or what it does. It's not some scary game breaking thing. I have loads and loads and loads of CC and my game runs just fine cause I'm careful of what I add to the game and how it affects it. I try to limit how many mods i have so that i remember them all and remember to update them/check for updates with every new pack I install. Objects and CAS stuff however, I go all the way with those, no limit, if i find something I'd like to have in the game I download it.

That said, other players are completely free if they're perfectly content with what the game offers as is. I personally don't so I get alot of TS2/TS3 conversions and classy higher quality furniture/clothes.
    True. It's more a danger of being a hassle to manage than it is a danger to your actual game. If you make backups of saves that are really important to you, that's probably 99.9% of the risk to your game gone already. Most mods that cause issues are just going to create a lastexception error file in your sims 4 folder and you'll have an issue with a specific feature or interaction. In rare cases, they may prevent you from properly saving a currently loaded game, or they may prevent you from loading a save properly, but removing culprit mods has never not fixed this issue in my experience. And in my experience, the game-breaking kind of issue is virtually always something that comes on the heels of a Maxis game update creating a conflict with a mod, not something the modder accidentally inflicts on you. And since mods are automatically disabled after patches, you don't have to worry about any immediate issues upon loading up your game the first time after a patch.

Like most technical issues, it's generally isolated stuff. Just as a virus isn't going to leap out of your computer and into your phone, a lastexception error isn't going to leap out of a mod and infect your game, making it permanently unusable.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Uhh... if someone's problem can be solved with a mod, how is that a bad thing? Unless you feel that the game needs to be constantly criticized for some reason and mods are somehow undermining that effort??

I agree with you.

I would feel bad about knowing a way to solve a problem right away and not telling another simmer about it if they were asking for help. I don't think that it is my place to decide for other people if they should use a mod or cheat codes. I present a possible solution and let the player decide that by themselves.

Player A: I feel like my game has become unplayable because of problem X
    Me: *Thinking to myself* I know a way of solving this in 5 min. But I won't tell you because you might perhaps not like the solution. Well, hope it will get sorted.

When I see someone lost in the City, looking for the buss stop or read about someone having a problem my instinct is to help if I can. So I will say something like "If you like you can use this mod and post a link. Hope it will be fixed soon".

I agree with you.

I would feel bad about knowing a way to solve a problem right away and not telling another simmer about it if they were asking for help. I don't think that it is my place to decide for other people if they should use a mod or cheat codes. I present a possible solution and let the player decide that by themselves.

Player A: I feel like my game has become unplayable because of problem X
    Me: *Thinking to myself* I know a way of solving this in 5 min. But I won't tell you because you might perhaps not like the solution. Well, hope it will get sorted.

When I see someone lost in the City, looking for the buss stop or read about someone having a problem my instinct is to help if I can. So I will say something like "If you like you can use this mod and post a link. Hope it will be fixed soon".
    Yup. I'm the same way; I'm not going to try to push mods on someone, but if it can potentially help, sometimes the answer is a resounding "yes!", so I think it's worth mentioning.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I would highly suggest people run an adblocker before installing any file from the internet. That is just common sense for internet usage. If a mod or CC doesn't allow you to download without the adblocker, there is a higher chance of downloading a virus with it. Just clicking on ads can cause malware on a computer. Be computer smart. If you are just starting with CCs and mods, I would suggest modthesims.info. They have been hosting mods since the Sims 2 and they prescreen all mods and CCs by a mod team before uploading. It is how I got into mods and CC was through that site.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    I don't really understand why anyone would NOT use mods. What fun is there in these games without the mods? What point is there to them?
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    My kinda thread.

Which I for one totally appreciate as I always look to see if a builder used mods, cc, and even moo or other cheats. Even if I really love another simmers build - if I see it has cc, mods or uses cheats - I will pass on downloading that content. But I will sometimes still let the creator know I liked their build, or sims or whatever. I respect the creator for letting us know such content was used for sure.

As an occasional builder, I appreciate an acknowledgement; for one of my more recent builds, my Academy of Arts/Sciences, I got a nice compliment from someone who couldn't download the lot because she didn't have all the packs I used (I don't use CC, and the mods I have really have no impact on building) but she wanted to let me know it was a spectacular build.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

The problem with Sims 3 was that there were too many issues that the devs gave up on and figured mods would fix them, especially if newer content broke previous features. One glaring example was with WA, where some later content broke the excavation feature and we had Sims standing right next to an excavation site and waving their arms like there was a routing error. Broke one of the big features of the game right there. Then, later on when they added the dog dig spots in Pets, it broke some of the gem spawners especially for the rarer gems. I know there were mods for both of those issues but I don't know if they ever got those fixed or not.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    edited October 2017
    Any more these days, the game unticks the scrip mod thing upon updating. You have to go into your game to turn it back on, if you want your mods to function. I've just removed most of my cc, which wasn't a lot, by what others have to be sure, but something is causing my game to be a little jumpy. All the 18th century stuff got the boot. I no longer have the non-default eye colors, heavy sigh. I only have two items of cc, a recolor of a dress in the game already. The other is pointy ears, since EA deemed we can't use the alien ears on 'human' Sims. What's up with that? I do hope they won't cause problems. There is such a shortage of wedding gowns I get bored. Also, I have to have a Vulcan in my game, or I'm just not a happy camper. I also have the latest version of MCCC, which I find I cannot live without.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SiljeSilje Posts: 1 New Member
    @DeKay said:
    > On the contrary, today, someone posted on the bugs thread that the game broke a mod and now they can't play the game and they got mad at EA/Maxis because of that. *shakes head*

EA/Maxis is the reason they even have the game in the first place!
    It's just ridiculous that they download content (voluntarily!!) and then complain to the game creator that it's not working with the original game.
    It's like complaining to Apple because the cheap charger you ordered from China is not working.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    Silje wrote: »
    DeKay said:
    > On the contrary, today, someone posted on the bugs thread that the game broke a mod and now they can't play the game and they got mad at EA/Maxis because of that. *shakes head*

EA/Maxis is the reason they even have the game in the first place!
    It's just ridiculous that they download content (voluntarily!!) and then complain to the game creator that it's not working with the original game.
    It's like complaining to Apple because the cheap charger you ordered from China is not working.

Haha, exactly!
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Simpkin wrote: »
    My kinda thread.

Really not the case.

If it's not a issue affecting everybody, it's usually down to CC and Mods the majority of the time.

There's no point getting angry, and it's factually incorrect to say that CC and Mods are irrelevant in bug solving. They are almost always the reason for bugs, that only affect a small percentage of people.

I don't know why you want to believe CC and Mods don't cause bugs, but if people try to educate you, I don't see how that's annoying.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited October 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Simpkin wrote: »
    My kinda thread.

Really not the case.

If it's not a issue affecting everybody, it's usually down to CC and Mods the majority of the time.

There's no point getting angry, and it's factually incorrect to say that CC and Mods are irrelevant in bug solving.

What is it with you and making bold, empty claims without evidence...? None of us have any idea what percent it is, but given that things such as the townie clothing bug, the detective career, the friend of the world reward trait, the serial romantic reward trait, vampire dating, the doctor career, awkward command cancellations or any issue raised by this thread were/are all problems caused by the coding of the game itself, it's pretty hard to claim that the game isn't just downright buggy.

Mods as a remedy to bugs isn't an ideal solution because it moves official bug fixes down the priority list. Bugs without the use of mods are absolutely a thing, and you can easily encounter one every time you play the game.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top