Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oh My God Simmers...

Comments

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Mods potentially damaging games is the reason why Mods usually put "Works with all current packs" and so on.

I can't wait to see the damage that Cats&Dogs does to Mods.

It's not up to EA to fix what your mod makes go wrong. It's up to them to fix bugs.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    My kinda thread.
    I loathe it when I have some problem and the first suggestion is to remove CC/mods. They're not the original stuff and the most irrelevant thing in my problems. It's like I say I have a problem with my game and people would suggest boiling potatoes instead of frying them. Completely irrelevant. Absolutely nothing to do with my game and I have no idea why it's even mentioned.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    My kinda thread.
    I loathe it when I have some problem and the first suggestion is to remove CC/mods. They're not the original stuff and the most irrelevant thing in my problems. It's like I say I have a problem with my game and people would suggest boiling potatoes instead of frying them. Completely irrelevant. Absolutely nothing to do with my game and I have no idea why it's even mentioned.
    It gets mentioned because there's a not-insignificant number of people who use mods and they are sometimes the cause of issues. Basically, if you're getting that from someone trying to help, it's just an IT support kind of thing. They're running you through common possibilities, trying to narrow down what the problem is.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I won't be using mods in Sims 4 till the game is done.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Everytime I read a suggestion or a request, people are silenced by comments like "Modders can do the rest!" "CC is here for that" LIKE GOD....WHY ARE WE HERE THEN? Not everyone uses mods.

Exactly, I Never use Mods in any of My Sims games, I only use very little CC in My other Sims games, but Not in My Sims 4, the game crashes if I try to, so I just do not use it, so you are right not everyone uses Mods or Cc in the games they play, So Ya I wish others would stop saying well you can always use Mods or Cc, cause that just wont happen or work for some of the People who play the Sims games.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Yeah, no one is being silenced by such comments. This is a strawman thread.

That is not true. I personally have been attacked for posting about a bug or a glitch that I have, and been told to download a mod to "fix" it. When I said I don't use mods, I then get told by several people "if you don't want to fix your game, then don't come on here complaining about it because we told you MCCC will fix that"
    I should not have have a mod in order to have an alien abduction & pregnancy in my game. That was an advertised feature for GTW!

The purpose for mods should be to enhance game play, not fix coding screwups. We had that in Sims 3, way too much.

For example, there are a series of mods that add the City Living "work from home" functionality to some of the base game careers (writing, athlete, tech, etc.). Since I don't know if the dev teams have any plans to add that functionality or just leave it a City Living careers only thing, the mods enable me to expand my game play; I can have a writer and have her either work from home or go to the office. OTOH, I didn't download/install the ball pit graphics fix because that's something the designers should have fixed themselves -- and they did.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    My kinda thread.

The reason it's the first suggestion is because a lot of people do use mods but they don't bother to check to see if their mods still work, or check for updates. So it makes sense to first ask if a player is using CC/Mods -- even the devs will ask that if you're working with one of them to solve a problem.
    Loanet wrote: »
    Mods potentially damaging games is the reason why Mods usually put "Works with all current packs" and so on.

I can't wait to see the damage that Cats&Dogs does to Mods.

It's not up to EA to fix what your mod makes go wrong. It's up to them to fix bugs.

With EA now releasing patches a few days before dropping new packs, that gives the mod community extra time to make any needed changes.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited September 2017

My kinda thread.

The reason it's the first suggestion is because a lot of people do use mods but they don't bother to check to see if their mods still work, or check for updates. So it makes sense to first ask if a player is using CC/Mods -- even the devs will ask that if you're working with one of them to solve a problem.

no it doesn't make sense. CC and mods have nothing to do with the original game. There is no reason why anyone should use that stuff. And to have it as the first defautl question when reporting a problem is so...beyond irrelevant.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    Some Mods/CC have looked really tempting to me but I have refrained from using them. I would rather keep my game "au naturale" then have to deal with mods at update time or troubleshooting time. Plus, as was sort of mentioned above, I worry that mods that work perfectly today may be broken downstream by future EA updates and enhancements.

On the other hand, some of our modders in the community have really delivered some impressive and amazing looking content that I wish EA would echo. Many of these folks are very talented in their creations and I fault no one for downloading and enjoying them. If I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that these features would not wreak havoc on my game/PC, I'd be downloading in a second! But, when it comes to the Sims franchise, I tend to be cautious...
    My kinda thread.

no it doesn't make sense. CC and mods have nothing to do with the original game. There is no reason why anyone should use that stuff. And to have it as the first defautl question when reporting a problem is so...beyond irrelevant.

It's just part of the process of eliminating possibilities in order to narrow down the problem. When you go to a new doctor, there are certain questions they're going to ask: do you smoke? do you drink alcohol? how many hours do you sleep each night? They have to eliminate options to narrow down a possible solution. You know that you don't use mods or CC, but the devs don't so they have to ask so they can eliminate that category from their investigations.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    My kinda thread.
    It gets mentioned because there's a not-insignificant number of people who use mods and they are sometimes the cause of issues. Basically, if you're getting that from someone trying to help, it's just an IT support kind of thing. They're running you through common possibilities, trying to narrow down what the problem is.

I agree with Triplis. I'm sorry, Simpkin if you feel that way or if I have done that to you before in the Bugs section. But if you spend a lot of time on the Bugs/Tech section, you would learn that some of the problems are related to mods.

The way I see it is if the bug is not a common one that is not reported often, then it is most likely that it's mod related.

For certain bugs that I know isn't mod related, I would tell them the correct issue or solution. Sometimes, people also hate it when we tell them to repair the game, but I've seen quite a lot of times that repairing the game helps for certain issues.

I kind of have a list of common glitches in the game and whether they have solutions or not. For all the reports I see that are different from the list and not something that I would see from other simmers' or my own game (which is vanilla by the way), I would just mark that as CC/mod related issue.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Also, if you really hate it when we suggest you to take out your mods and CC, PLEASE put in your original post that you don't have any mods/CC or that you have already taken them out. :) Simple. That way, we won't have to suggest you to check your mods. :joy: Trust me, it really does help us a lot when players are more straight forward that way cuz I also hate being a broken record!
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Obviously modders should not have to fix actual bugs, but one has to distinguish between a bug and an unpopular design decision.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    The only mod I used for Sims3 was the MasterController one and that only after the game was finished. I steer clear of all of them in Sims 4. Too stressful.

So - if my game starts up ok after Patching and others' games don't it is not fair to blame Maxis and I usually pipe up with my experience.
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    The problem with mods, in my opinion, is they turned into a crutch for maxis. I personally dont use mods or CC, but i hate when there's a bug or game issue and the first response is "download this mod" "this mod will fix it" just no.... If a modder can do it so can maxis.
    They introduce relationship decay/culling (my biggest gripe with this game, sorry) and then you need MCCC to help tone it down, or edit relationships, or whatever else. WHY cant maxis allow us to edit relationships ourselves in game?
    I've seen suggestions for a simulation lag mod.... Why isn't maxis fixing this themselves!?
    I posted about mourning in an old thread and just browsing responses there was a mod to tone down mourning. This was an old thread, why, by now, has maxis not fixed it?
    If you want body hair, use CC.
    You want piercings? CC.
    Why?? Not enough time/resources? Have to keep pushing out packs for money instead of fixing existing issues?
    To get a job with a reputable company such as ea, you would think youd need talent, maybe something to help you stand out. But these employees are sitting back and letting randoms fix their game for free.... I just dont get it. To me its unacceptable, do your job.
    (Sorry for the rant but besides culling/decay, needing mods is my #2 gripe with this game)
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    @surraaaaaa you need to realise 1 thing not all players are the same every players have diffrent playstyle so not every players will went in the game pircing or body hair the only way i would not mind such content in the game is if there an option to gray out these options if player do not went to use said content
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    @friendlysimmers I'm sure there would be an option not to use things such as body hair or piercings, I was only using those as an example anyway. Look at tattoos, theyre in the base game and youre not forced to put tattoos on every sim no matter what.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    My kinda thread.

Because mods can cause problems with games for any number of reasons that would cause a player who would at least think to remove recently installed mods before asking for help:

1. You've stumbled into a new problem with a mod.
    2. You've installed a mod that's not compatible with another mod you've got accidentally.
    3. You installed a mod that's not compatible with your current game set up accidentally.

And sometimes even the most knowledgeable person skips the easy, obvious step that ends up fixing the problem. So "stupid questions" and "stupid steps" must be done.

It's why all computer techs ask "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" It solves a LOT of tech problems yet you'd be amazed at the number of people who don't do that step.
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited October 2017
    custom content is not an enmy custom content and mod are canbe of great help for 2 reason

1 it help to have content you went thats not avalable in game yet and 2 mods are usful to help the game run better not every players plays the same i use custom content and mod and have no regret doing so

By your reasoning, then there was no point to make a pack with laundry as the focus because there is so much CC laundry stuff already made by talented creators.

But NONE of the Laundry CC is FUNCTIONAL. :s
    And he, as well as me, and others, would like it to actually do more than just be deco... :p

I have over 100 GC CC backed up on portable, (and not currently using any of it except default-replacement grass, and no distance blur.)
    I figure after Cats & Dogs, a lot of it is going to need to be run through batch fixes, etc, and I don't feel like dealing with it for a long time.
    That being besides the point, I don't feel anyone should have to run to any Mods, etc to fix a game.
    Extras/enhancements are one thing.
    But not fixing things, that don't work as intended/promised, well that's just wrong.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2017
    custom content is not an enmy custom content and mod are canbe of great help for 2 reason

1 it help to have content you went thats not avalable in game yet and 2 mods are usful to help the game run better not every players plays the same i use custom content and mod and have no regret doing so

By your reasoning, then there was no point to make a pack with laundry as the focus because there is so much CC laundry stuff already made by talented creators.

And he, as well as me, and others, would like it to actually do more than just be deco... :p

I have over 100 GC CC backed up on portable, (and not currently using any of it except default-replacement grass, and no distance blur.)
    I figure after Cats & Dogs, a lot of it is going to need to be run through batch fixes, etc, and I don't feel like dealing with it for a long time.
    That being besides the point, I don't feel anyone should have to run to any Mods, etc to fix a game.
    But not fixing things, that don't work as intended/promised, well that's just wrong.

To be honest I don't use CC or mods in Sims 4 and rarely ever see any bugs. My game plays pretty flawless 98 percent of the time - so sometimes I am baffled when players report a lot of bugs as I don't seem to get them for some odd reason. I have not once had an issue with a patch - knock on wood and I do play online with Origin on too - which many say creates issues for them - but hasn't for me at all.

I guess I am really lucky - at least in game anyway - but in real life - not so much most of time.

Right now the only issues I see is not in the game but on our own pages where I have a duplicate of the badges. But the game itself runs beautifully.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited October 2017
    For a long time, I didn't use mods or CC either. The only reason I started using mods is because TS3 became pretty much unplayable for me, and the NRaas mods made the game playable again. TS4 is NOWHERE NEAR as bad, but mods definitely make the game far better and far less glitchy! It's poop that I feel the need to download mods and CC to fill the hole of GOOD GAME PROGRAMMING that EA seems to refuse me!

I also love downloading CC because it adds something fresh to the game without having to spend ridiculous amounts of money on EA's overpriced game packs for TS4 (in TS3's case, the vanilla game and expansions/stuff packs were enough for over 5 years, but TS4 is incredibly expensive for comparatively tiny amounts of content). As well as this, EA are very good at breaking games when they update them, so you're honestly taking as much of a risk when downloading CC as you do everytime you press the "Update" button in Origin.

Honestly, I wouldn't even download CC and mods if their games were less broken and less overpriced! Those are the ONLY REASONS I even download mods and CC in the first place! Heck, TS3 Island Paradise is hardly PLAYABLE without a decent amount of fixer mods, as well as replacing the island with a fixed version - that's Sonic '06 levels of "badly made" right there!
    EA, please fix your games and make the add-ons less overpriced, and then I'll happily stop downloading mods and CC to fix it! ;)

Btw, hats off to you guys for lasting without mods and CC! I don't know how you do it, quite honestly! xD
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

To be honest I don't use CC or mods in Sims 4 and rarely ever see any bugs. My game plays pretty flawless 98 percent of the time - so sometimes I am baffled when players report a lot of bugs as I don't seem to get them for some odd reason. I have not once had an issue with a patch - knock on wood and I do play online with Origin on too - which many say creates issues for them - but hasn't for me at all.

I guess I am really lucky - at least in game anyway - but in real life - not so much most of time.

Right now the only issues I see is not in the game but on our own pages where I have a duplicate of the badges. But the game itself runs beautifully.

@Writin_Reg My sister was the same; at most she had the odd crash in TS3 but that was it! I, on the other hand, pretty much encountered every glitch in the book EVERY TIME I OPENED THE GAME! Honestly, I don't know how I tolerated it; I have a far lower threshold for glitches now than I did back then, that's for sure! xD
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited October 2017
    I personally have been attacked for posting about a bug or a glitch that I have, and been told to download a mod to "fix" it. When I said I don't use mods, I then get told by several people "if you don't want to fix your game, then don't come on here complaining about it because we told you MCCC will fix that"
    I should not have have a mod in order to have an alien abduction & pregnancy in my game. That was an advertised feature for GTW!
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It only bothers me when this is a suggestion when I have problems in game I want solved by Maxis and someone says 'there's a mod for that'. lol
    I don't really want to use mods for 'fixes' and never have. I believe in telling the company what's wrong so they can change something for the better, even if I do rant, it's with good intentions. :D
    My kinda thread.

I don't see anything in the OP talking about using mods to fix bugs.....the OP claimed that "suggestions" and "requests" are "silenced" by comments about how people should use mods.....apparently, instead of new content being developed by EA.
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Everytime I read a suggestion or a request, people are silenced by comments like "Modders can do the rest!" "CC is here for that" LIKE GOD....WHY ARE WE HERE THEN? Not everyone uses mods.

• estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    My kinda thread.

My suggestion to you, if it annoys you that much, is to clearly state that you are not using any mods/CC in your game. That way people who are willing to know that you don't use them. Otherwise, it is very logical for someone who has no idea what your set up is to ask for you to disable mods/CC.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top