Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game crash or laptop freezing..?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
edited September 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Hello, I'm not sure it's from the Sims 4 or my laptop issue. Recently, I learned many sims 4 simmers experience 'sims 4 has stopped running' alert bug. I have one more issue. My story is...

I was playing the sims 4, and I heard the washing machine has done. I hung the clothes on the line outside, then came back to the sims 4. Then I see my whole laptop screen was blinking, even not available to open the task manager. The sims 4 game was completely not clickable and also other programs which are pinned on task bar not clickable either. At the same time, whole screen is blinking. It's the new laptop I bought just 3 weeks ago. Is it a game bug or just my laptop problem? I'm really not sure.

Today, I exit the sims 4 game but the game was still running. I clicked exit a couple of times more, then it's gone but the laptop has been very noisy looks like the video card is still running after exit the game. And then the laptop has completely frozen. It happened around 3 or 4 times so far.

My laptop is

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-437ROU0
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Alienware 15 R3
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0774
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware 1.1.6, 5/12/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Alienware
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.502"
User Name DESKTOP-437ROU0\Alienware
Time Zone Arabian Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.0 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

My video card is Nvidia Gtx 1060.

Post edited by Jeansoo on

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    What happens when you play the sims 3
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Looking at reviews, you're not the only one having issues with this model. The screen blinking and computer locking up sounds like a hardware problem. If you got this laptop three weeks ago you defiantly need to contact Dell about this. Your laptop is still under warranty.

tagging @chesterbigbird
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited September 2017
    @Jeansoo I agree with @Simasaurus09 Im also reading Overheating during high CPU usage . An incorrect setting in the bios below 1.0.6 could cause the laptop to shut down during heavy cpu usage. The sims 4 is cpu heavy .

If you can return this laptop and get something else I would. We don't recommend alienware laptops here in tech. They are overpriced dells.

Add. Google your model laptop and you will find screen issues and lots of overheating issues . Dell should have pulled these laptops off the shelf
    edited September 2017
    I was thinking maybe 3 weeks is too long to return so I didn't mention returning but if you can, I agree with phoebe. I don't know how much you paid Jeansoo but I bet you could have gotten the same specs with a better quality brand for cheaper.

Alienware is a brand name people often think of when they hear "gaming computer" but it really lacks quality ever since Dell bought out Alienware. From what I hear, it used to be good back in the day but again, not since Dell has taken over. I know people like to stand by the brand and say they've never had a problem but it's still an overpriced name at the end of the day.
    I agree with @Simasaurus09 about the alienware brand. You are paying for the name only but not the quality. Dell bought the name from the original owners. I was told by someone (cant remember who) the original owners of Alienware now own Clevo brand gaming laptops. Chester had a custom clevo laptop at a moment in time but she never used it and sold it. She prefers her desktop
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Looking at reviews, you're not the only one having issues with this model. The screen blinking and computer locking up sounds like a hardware problem. If you got this laptop three weeks ago you defiantly need to contact Dell about this. Your laptop is still under warranty.

tagging @chesterbigbird

Thank you. :) I need to read the warranty thing again. It's possible to be replaced with the brand new one but.. not sure it's possible to get t\my money back. Yes I also have 2 year warranty.

edited September 2017
    @Jeansoo I agree with @Simasaurus09 Im also reading Overheating during high CPU usage . An incorrect setting in the bios below 1.0.6 could cause the laptop to shut down during heavy cpu usage. The sims 4 is cpu heavy .

If you can return this laptop and get something else I would. We don't recommend alienware laptops here in tech. They are overpriced dells.

Add. Google your model laptop and you will find screen issues and lots of overheating issues . Dell should have pulled these laptops off the shelf

I don't have any professional knowledge about computer. I visited some computer stores here in Dubai, they don't recommend anything. I had to order everything myself in the stores. It would be good if I knew well about computer system, but my husband says they will recommend the trashy goods with high price if they realize I'm just a beginner on computing. That's why I changed my mind to get the dell laptop. I paid about 2,000 euros(8,700 AED) on this laptop. And maybe 200 or 300 euros were paid separately for warranty. So I totally paid about 2,300 euros on this laptop. Is it possible to get the better spec with this money in UAE? I can't get a computer from US or UK.

Is there any other recommendable brand?
    I agree with @Simasaurus09 about the alienware brand. You are paying for the name only but not the quality. Dell bought the name from the original owners. I was told by someone (cant remember who) the original owners of Alienware now own Clevo brand gaming laptops. Chester had a custom clevo laptop at a moment in time but she never used it and sold it. She prefers her desktop

Oh I read this just now. Then is there any recommendable other brand? Not clevo. :)
    edited September 2017
    Jeansoo wrote: »

I don't have any professional knowledge about computer. I visited some computer stores here in Dubai, they don't recommend anything. I had to order everything myself in the stores. It would be good if I knew well about computer system, but my husband says they will recommend the trashy goods with high price if they realize I'm just a beginner on computing. That's why I changed my mind to get the dell laptop. I paid about 2,000 euros(8,700 AED) on this laptop. And maybe 200 or 300 euros were paid separately for warranty. So I totally paid about 2,300 euros on this laptop. Is it possible to get the better spec with this money in UAE? I can't get a computer from US or UK.

I don't know what they sell in Dubai. I know it's very expensive there. I don't know if they have custom computer build shops. If buying off the shelf Asus Rog or Msi would be better. I have an Asus ROG (republic of gamers) .
    edited September 2017
    I was waiting for phoebe to answer because she knows more about gaming laptops than I do but those were the brands I would have mentioned too.

I haven't owned a gaming laptop in 10 years all though I have been considering buying one recently and I'm looking at Asus Rog. From personal experience, I love Asus motherboards and monitors. Always hearing good things about their laptops too. @Jeansoo ... Weren't you recently looking for a desktop and not a laptop? Can you link some sites in Dubai where you can buy from?
    @Simasaurus09 Asus ROG does make a good gaming laptop but they are overpriced. In the USA we have allot more choices than other countries and better prices too. I bought my ROG because at the time I got the best specs for my money. If I was to buy a new laptop, I would go custom
    @Simasaurus09 Asus ROG does make a good gaming laptop but they are overpriced. In the USA we have allot more choices than other countries and better prices too. I bought my ROG because at the time I got the best specs for my money. If I was to buy a new laptop, I would go custom
    I'm not willing to spend that much on custom because it won't be my main computer. I know we have other options. If I do end up getting one, it will be during holiday sales. I plan on selling some stuff to make up for the extra price of an Asus. I tend to stick to certain brands if they have really worked out for me in the past and continue to have good reviews.

Anyways, this thread is not about me. Sorry Jean :)
    edited September 2017
    @Simasaurus09 most of the Asus Rog are as pricy as custom. MSI is cheaper if your looking for a knock around cheaper gaming laptop

• chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @Jeansoo
    That would be a laptop issue not game.
    The laptop being noisy is a dead give-away that it's overheating and causing glitches and graphical artifacts.
    Being in Dubai I'm guessing it's rather hot there? If using a laptop in a hot climate then you need to limit your gaming sessions to avoid overheating. Does not matter how well the laptop is built (could be really good at cooling) But if the ambient temp is higher then you will run into issues.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Clevo are the manufacturer of the laptops however the laptop can be called something completely different.
    Some of the laptops from cyberpowerpc are from clevo (the Xplorer series) you will also find them at xtopic and a few other places.
    basically they sell laptops everywhere but branded with a different name.. just like alienware.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

I was waiting for phoebe to answer because she knows more about gaming laptops than I do but those were the brands I would have mentioned too.

I haven't owned a gaming laptop in 10 years all though I have been considering buying one recently and I'm looking at Asus Rog. From personal experience, I love Asus motherboards and monitors. Always hearing good things about their laptops too. @Jeansoo ... Weren't you recently looking for a desktop and not a laptop? Can you link some sites in Dubai where you can buy from?

Thank you! :D Here's the website I purchased this laptop: https://www.jumbo.ae/computers/laptops/
    Yes I was looking for a desktop but I changed my mind because I will stay in Duabi only for 2 years, then I need to go back to Ireland. My husband worried about the heat here and suggested one with great cooler system inside of laptop. My budget was 2,000 euros, and the ones with great cooler system are above my budget.

http://www.monsternotebook.ae/category/gaming?gclid=CJ_9rZz5vNYCFXgz0wodC3QFxQ
    This one is I watched before going to offline Jumbo store.

https://uae.microless.com/notebooks/
    I haven't watched here yet.

I don't have any professional knowledge about computer. I visited some computer stores here in Dubai, they don't recommend anything. I had to order everything myself in the stores. It would be good if I knew well about computer system, but my husband says they will recommend the trashy goods with high priYce if they realize I'm just a beginner on computing. That's why I changed my mind to get the dell laptop. I paid about 2,000 euros(8,700 AED) on this laptop. And maybe 200 or 300 euros were paid separately for warranty. So I totally paid about 2,300 euros on this laptop. Is it possible to get the better spec with this money in UAE? I can't get a computer from US or UK.

I don't know what they sell in Dubai. I know it's very expensive there. I don't know if they have custom computer build shops. If buying off the shelf Asus Rog or Msi would be better. I have an Asus ROG (republic of gamers) .

Yes there are many custom build shops but don't know they would built for laptops too. When I went to a computer store, I thought it would be just one store but there are so many small stores inside of just ONE building. I didn't know which shop to get in, and they don't do anything when i sit in front of them. They just said,"What spec do you want?" ... My brain forgot everything that chesterbigbird recommended for me a month ago here. And he just waited for me to tell him the spec of computer. It was the first visit in my life. I had no idea what to do..
    @Jeansoo
    That would be a laptop issue not game.one
    The laptop being noisy is a dead give-away that it's overheating and causing glitches and graphical artifacts.
    Being in Dubai I'm guessing it's rather hot there? If using a laptop in a hot climate then you need to limit your gaming sessions to avoid overheating. Does not matter how well the laptop is built (could be really good at cooling) But if the ambient temp is higher then you will run into issues.

Usually what temperature range is the best for computer? It's about 35-40 celsius outdoor but it's 25-26 celsius in indoor. I heard it's minimum 20 celsius in winter up to maximum 47, 48 celsius in summertime but usually people use computer in indoor, so the temperature is around 20 to 25 degrees. It was -5 celsius in winter up to 25 celsius in summertime in Ireland. I didn't have any overheating in Ireland.

So in this temperature, do you mean I better get the lower spec one?

Anyways, this thread is not about me. Sorry Jean :)

I'm ok. No problem. :)
    @Jeansoo
    That would be a laptop issue not game.one

Usually what temperature range is the best for computer? It's about 35-40 celsius outdoor but it's 25-26 celsius in indoor. I heard it's minimum 20 celsius in winter up to maximum 47, 48 celsius in summertime but usually people use computer in indoor, so the temperature is around 20 to 25 degrees. It was -5 celsius in winter up to 25 celsius in summertime in Ireland. I didn't have any overheating in Ireland.

So in this temperature, do you mean I better get the lower spec one?

You need to see the actual temps of your laptop, do this by downloading this program
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html (the non pro is fine)
    Install Hwmonitor and open the program.. LEAVE IT OPEN while you play your game.
    Once exiting the game, look at Hwmonitor and take some screen shots of the program and post it here.
    When i see the screen shots i can tell you if your temps are fine or too high.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

@chesterbigbird, wow! Thank you I will!! :D
    edited September 2017
    @chesterbigbird @Jeansoo Google the laptop model. It has heating issues. Many posts for this particular alienware model. It seems to be a faulty design in the laptop like the lenovo Y series. Dell should have pulled this Alienware model off the shelf. Just a guess that Dubai probably has AC everywhere. I really don't think it's an ambient temperature issue.
    @chesterbigbird @Jeansoo Google the laptop model. It has heating issues. Many posts for this particular alienware model. It seems to be a faulty design in the laptop like the lenovo Y series. Dell should have pulled this Alienware model off the shelf. Just a guess that Dubai probably has AC everywhere. I really don't think it's an ambient temperature issue.

I know about AC. However they need to check temperatures with hwmonitor. Laptops in general still need to limit play sessions unlike desktops. You cannot return the laptop and say it's overheating without actually testing the temperatures. 25c indoor still can be considered warm.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

I know about AC. However they need to check temperatures with hwmonitor. Laptops in general still need to limit play sessions unlike desktops. You cannot return the laptop and say it's overheating without actually testing the temperatures. 25c indoor still can be considered warm.

I agree they need to check. I have gamed on my ASUS for hours without heating issues with ac on and no cooling pad. It's possible my Asus has much better cooling than OP's Alienware however there are known problems with that alienware laptop model. Also my laptop never had heating issues until I installed the sims 4 which sent my cpu through the roof. My laptop is fine as long as I don't play the sims 4. This is why I also asked OP to see if same thing happens when they play the sims 3. Is it their laptop or the sims 4

I played the sims 4 for about 4 hours until now and checked the temperatures.

19.png

20.png

And after exit I got this again.

21.png