Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will sims 3 run on this laptop?

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Christopher69B I should have been more clear. I forgot about this. There are some laptops out there that give you one hard drive 250 gb SSD . That would not be enough to put all your games on. I have a 250 gb ssd but I also a 1 tb hard drive. My computers have two hard drives. When I move files from my ssd I send them to the second hard drive. I also have other games on my second hard drive. I only have the sims 3 on my 250 gb ssd with windows
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    There are actually more benefits to having Windows installed on an SSD than just being able to startup and shutdown faster, but getting a game to run more efficiently that is installed on an HDD as it would need to be if the SSD is too small to accommodate much more than just the operating system isn't one of them.

Just to sort of confirm what is being said, I don't have an SSD on my sims computer but it runs together with Windows from a 360 GB partition. I wish that I had given this partition more space, my overall HDD size is 2 TB, but I need the rest of the space for other things. Wouldn't say that it's a daily struggle to keep enough space free on the partition but I do have to keep checking on drive space usage and shifting things like older saved games I want to keep and backups of CC to an external to free up space.

Some day the price of SSDs will come down enough so that honking huge single or dual SSDs will be more standard even on laptops. But by that time we'll all be playing TS7 or something and who knows how much drive space that will require. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor have you just turned this into an I want TS7 thread :p SSD have come down in price. I only got a 250 gb because they were more expensive at the time. I hope to get myself another 500 gb ssd if i get a good deal on black friday
  • Christopher69BChristopher69B Posts: 159 Member
    @Christopher69B I should have been more clear. I forgot about this. There are some laptops out there that give you one hard drive 250 gb SSD . That would not be enough to put all your games on. I have a 250 gb ssd but I also a 1 tb hard drive. My computers have two hard drives. When I move files from my ssd I send them to the second hard drive. I also have other games on my second hard drive. I only have the sims 3 on my 250 gb ssd with windows

The ones I’ve seen with 250GB SSD are well over £1000 and I cannot afford anything over that price the max I would go to is £900 at the max. I plan on picking it up from a local computer store instead of Ordering it from the internet.

The ones I’ve seen with 250GB SSD are well over £1000 and I cannot afford anything over that price the max I would go to is £900 at the max. I plan on picking it up from a local computer store instead of Ordering it from the internet.

I know having a larger ssd is more expensive. If your using an HDD you may get stuck with TS3 long loading times as your saves get larger

I know having a larger ssd is more expensive. If your using an HDD you may get stuck with TS3 long loading times as your saves get larger

the longer loading times wouldnt really bother me to much the only thing im more bothered about is if sims 3 will lag. anyway Ive brought a new computer (laptop) the specs are intel i5 7300HQ, GFX 1050 4GB, 8GB ram. I only went with a 256GB SSD Hard drive cause I was limted on funds. If I need more space for other games I will buy a External Hardrive, A USB one I was told you install steam games on them.
    edited October 2017

the longer loading times wouldnt really bother me to much the only thing im more bothered about is if sims 3 will lag. anyway Ive brought a new computer (laptop) the specs are intel i5 7300HQ, GFX 1050 4GB, 8GB ram. I only went with a 256GB SSD Hard drive cause I was limted on funds. If I need more space for other games I will buy a External Hardrive, A USB one I was told you install steam games on them.

Just so you know when you play on an external is not the same as internal hard drive. Your game may not perform as well on an external hard drive. This is why I mentioned do not get a laptop with only one hard drive of 250 gb

Congrats on the new laptop. @igazor can post you instruction on how to set up the sims 3 game on your laptop. I'm on tablet and having issues copying and pasting links. You need to cap your fps with this game. The game has no fps limiter and you will have game issues if you don't cap the fps.

Just so you know when you play on an external is not the same as internal hard drive. Your game may not perform as well on an external hard drive.

Congrats on the new laptop. @igazor can post you instruction on how to set up the sims 3 game on your laptop. I'm on tablet and having issues copying and pasting links. You need to cap your fps with this game. The game has no fps limiter and you will have game issues if you don't cap the fps.

it will most likely be alot better than what it was on my old laptop. Ive also got the game on steam so its already in my games, ill just need to transfer all my game saves over from my old laptop. Also I appreciate all the computer tips as well since im not reallt that good when it comes to computers specs, but im quite good using computers.

Just so you know when you play on an external is not the same as internal hard drive. Your game may not perform as well on an external hard drive.

it will most likely be alot better than what it was on my old laptop. Ive also got the game on steam so its already in my games, ill just need to transfer all my game saves over from my old laptop. Also I appreciate all the computer tips as well since im not reallt that good when it comes to computers specs, but im quite good using computers.

Your very welcome.. The sims 3 should play on ultra or high if you have that installed on your internal hard drive. I don't know how GTA will run on an external hard drive. GTA is more powerful than the sims . If you tried to run GTA on your old laptop I can only imagine it was not a good gaming experience if GTA ran on it at all

When igazor comes on the forum he can help you get your fps capped on the sims 3.

Your very welcome.. The sims 3 should play on ultra or high if you have that installed on your internal hard drive. I don't know how GTA will run on an external hard drive. GTA is more powerful than the sims . If you tried to run GTA on your old laptop I can only imagine it was not a good gaming experience if GTA ran on it at all

When igazor comes on the forum he can help you get your fps capped on the sims 3.

its installing on my laptop hard drive I do plan on buying a USB when I need one. GTA would of not run on my old laptop at all, my old laptop could barely cope with sims 3 without any lagging. Mostly like cause of the on board graphics and the cpu.

its installing on my laptop hard drive I do plan on buying a USB when I need one. GTA would of not run on my old laptop at all, my old laptop could barely cope with sims 3 without any lagging. Mostly like cause of the on board graphics and the cpu.

I figured GTA would not even start on your old laptop since it's even more powerful than the sims. I know GTA is pretty powerful to my desktop and my desktop is a medium level gaming desktop. My desktop is slightly more powerful than your new laptop. GTA is a pretty large game.

I figured GTA would not even start on your old laptop since it's even more powerful than the sims. I know GTA is pretty powerful to my desktop and my desktop is a medium level gaming desktop. My desktop is slightly more powerful than your new laptop. GTA is a pretty large game.

Sims 3 has just finished downloading and it loaded my game save pretty quickly! And it seems to run the game much better then my old laptop there is no lag at all. Only problem I had was it said it couldn’t see my graphics card in there database I’m not sure what that means.

Sims 3 has just finished downloading and it loaded my game save pretty quickly! And it seems to run the game much better then my old laptop there is no lag at all. Only problem I had was it said it couldn’t see my graphics card in there database I’m not sure what that means.

You need to use vsync to cap your fps and have the game recognize your card. Again when igazor comes n the forum he can give you those instructions

You need to use vsync to cap your fps and have the game recognize your card. Again when igazor comes n the forum he can give you those instructions

I also tried it on a larger and more populated world with more lots and it seems to handle it pretty well, it didn't take to long to load either. on my old laptop it took up to a hour to load on a larger world.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited October 2017
    @phoebebebe13 I have Sims 3 and Sims 4 and a few other games. 65 GB left. My SSD is 240. Then I am going to move to my backup computer. Retire this one. I already installed a 500 SSD and 1 Terabyte hard drive on my I5-6500 computer. I need get 8 GB of DDR4-2133 have dual channel support and not single channel that it currently running with. That next month plan. The drive I would like to get NVME SSD in couple years. Maybe some RGB if it not overrated.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Christopher69B - The warning about the graphics card not being recognized is normal and should only appear once (let us know if this is not the case). We can help you force recognition of a card that is newer than the game's development cycle, but often that doesn't really make any difference to the player. An unrecognized card still gets used, it just might have the wrong default profile. Also an unrecognized card might cause the game to down-rank your components improperly and lead to not enough sims being pushed to community lots when yours are out in the neighborhood (sometimes referred to as Bridgeport Syndrome) but not everyone gets that effect either.

Much more important than all that is getting your frame rates (fps) capped on that Nvidia 1050. As said, TS3 does not have a built-in fps limiter like more modern games do and the newer, more powerful cards can run wild on it. The excess frame rates that your monitor cannot possibly interpret can lead to graphics glitches, lag, screen tears, crashes, and over time can burn out your graphics card so of course we don't want any of those things.

Here are illustrated instructions on how to use the Nvidia Control Panel to cap the fps.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14991412#Comment_14991412

Note that the Control Panel's vsync only works in full-screen mode. If it doesn't lock things in, or if you require windowed mode, then we move on to a different tool called Nvidia Inspector. If your laptop's screen is running at a refresh rate of 60 Hz, which the vast majority of them do, then the goal is to cap the frame rate to 60 fps. Checking on frame rates in-game is easy. Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console, type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed rate should never wander above 60. To make the rate display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    @Christopher69B - The warning about the graphics card not being recognized is normal and should only appear once (let us know if this is not the case). We can help you force recognition of a card that is newer than the game's development cycle, but often that doesn't really make any difference to the player. An unrecognized card still gets used, it just might have the wrong default profile. Also an unrecognized card might cause the game to down-rank your components improperly and lead to not enough sims being pushed to community lots when yours are out in the neighborhood (sometimes referred to as Bridgeport Syndrome) but not everyone gets that effect either.

Much more important than all that is getting your frame rates (fps) capped on that Nvidia 1050. As said, TS3 does not have a built-in fps limiter like more modern games do and the newer, more powerful cards can run wild on it. The excess frame rates that your monitor cannot possibly interpret can lead to graphics glitches, lag, screen tears, crashes, and over time can burn out your graphics card so of course we don't want any of those things.

Here are illustrated instructions on how to use the Nvidia Control Panel to cap the fps.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14991412#Comment_14991412

Note that the Control Panel's vsync only works in full-screen mode. If it doesn't lock things in, or if you require windowed mode, then we move on to a different tool called Nvidia Inspector. If your laptop's screen is running at a refresh rate of 60 Hz, which the vast majority of them do, then the goal is to cap the frame rate to 60 fps. Checking on frame rates in-game is easy. Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console, type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed rate should never wander above 60. To make the rate display go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

Ive only had it come up once and it didn't come up again. I also had this problem with my old computer but that was the graphics card it self cause the whole computer couldn't even handle the game.
    @james64468 The sims 4 is not complete . i have the sims 2 on my ssd with the sims 3 though I have not played the sims 2 so it's not taking up that much space . It also depends how much CC and mods you add. I do have cc and a few mods. For op GTA V is a pretty large game.

Good luck on your new build. I may just run my current computer into the ground instead of upgrading, I will just buy a new computer when I need one. I have a haswell processor with ddr3 ram and the GTX 960. To switch to ddr4 I would have to get a new mobo, processor, ram. etc . It would be like almost doing a whole new build at this point,

I also tried it on a larger and more populated world with more lots and it seems to handle it pretty well, it didn't take to long to load either. on my old laptop it took up to a hour to load on a larger world.

The game will load quicker because you have a better processor now. The game takes loner to load as your saves get larger unless you have an ssd. If you have an ssd larger saves should load in 5 minutes or less

The game will load quicker because you have a better processor now. The game takes loner to load as your saves get larger unless you have an ssd. If you have an ssd larger saves should load in 5 minutes or less

I’m soon planning on trying get a SSD USB hard drive since there are alot faster from what I’ve been told. And cause GTA has near enough taken up half my hard drive space.

I’m soon planning on trying get a SSD USB hard drive since there are alot faster from what I’ve been told. And cause GTA has near enough taken up half my hard drive space.

Yes GTA is a huge game. The portable external ssd's are expensive . I have no idea how the sims 3 will run on an external ssd
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Thank you. True I don't want to run out of space. The only reason I am replacing this build and there no room for a hard drive in the case. The bios is taking 20 min to load and I do want to spend some time resetting it. Maybe I sell it after I get it fixed and few things added to it. They won't be getting my SSD and personal files. I am not excited about Coffee Lake. It pretty much the same as Ryzen but maybe I be proven wrong on October 5 by the Tech tubers. I just don't see a way forward in their new generation but same everything else. I believe Intel might release a new generation next year.

Yes GTA is a huge game. The portable external ssd's are expensive . I have no idea how the sims 3 will run on an external ssd

If there too much I’ll just try and get a 1TB external drive since I wanna buy some more games and the chances are I will have no room left.
    @james64468 Your welcome. I want a coffee lake just for the name . I love my coffee :D Next gen might be tea lake. Itel usually beats out AMD.
    edited October 2017

If there too much I’ll just try and get a 1TB external drive since I wanna buy some more games and the chances are I will have no room left.

They seem to be cheaper in the UK Amazon has a seagate 1 tb for 50 pounds . The samsung ones which is better cost close to 200 pounds for 500 gb