March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will sims 3 run on this laptop?

Comments

• DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    edited September 2017
    my brand new computer is only a little bit better than that laptop, with 16GB ram, and 3.8GHz processor, not integrated graphics. And I'm betting it'll play better than what it did on my current/old puter. I'll be setting it up tomorrow .. hehe so excited. My current/old computer is less than half as good as the specs on your laptop and it was fine to play Sims 3 on until Windows 10 got shoved onto me and the anniversary update after that especially.
    So. Your laptop will be absolutely fine! It might lag a bit when your game gets really big, but bah! doesn't matter! Keep your cc down to a minimum, you'll be A OK. Here's a tip: better to use stuff packs and expansions than getting cc, for variety, because EA crams all of that into a much tinier space than cc does. You can always use create a style, very creatively. That's what I do!
    Have fun!
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    my brand new computer is only a little bit better than that laptop, with 16GB ram, and 3.8GHz processor, not integrated graphics. And I'm betting it'll play better than what it did on my current/old puter. I'll be setting it up tomorrow .. hehe so excited. My current/old computer is less than half as good as the specs on your laptop and it was fine to play Sims 3 on until Windows 10 got shoved onto me and the anniversary update after that especially.
    So. Your laptop will be absolutely fine! It might lag a bit when your game gets really big, but bah! doesn't matter! Keep your cc down to a minimum, you'll be A OK. Here's a tip: better to use stuff packs and expansions than getting cc, for variety, because EA crams all of that into a much tinier space than cc does. You can always use create a style, very creatively. That's what I do!
    Have fun!

Their laptop does not meet requirements and NO the whole game will not run on a GTX 920m card. They also stated the game does not run on their laptop well. We are in here helping in tech every day and know what hardware won't work with this game

This game requires desktop not laptop. Laptops are much weaker than desktop hardware. You can not compare desktop hardware to laptop hardware unless you have a higher end gaming laptop. Your video card counts not just your processor and how much ram you have. This game does not like allot of newer low end hardware
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    There's an unfortunately popular misconception that the purpose of a graphics card is to make things look nice and it's okay if some of them miss the mark in that regard as long as the game plays on. Afraid it doesn't work that way. Graphics intensive games are going to attempt to shove their instruction sets through, to an extent, no matter what kind of hardware is running them. A GT 920M card is dedicated as opposed to integrated, but it's not up to the task when it comes to handling that kind of stress and will most likely cause the game to crash (meaning all EPs on medium to high graphics settings on any kind of reasonable resolution). Many find that they cannot get their TS3 games loaded on systems relying on those cards at all on any settings. Behind the scenes, as the game tries to startup or keep running, the massive amounts of instructions to be shoved through it just stack up and bottleneck until Windows (or the Mac OS) finally says that's enough, time for this puppy to crash.

Or something like that.

@DivinylsFan - It's good that you are excited about your new system. With a processor that strong and 16 GB, I would hope that you have a decent graphics card to go with it. You probably do, but do you know which one?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited September 2017
    @igazor they are putting out allot of desktops and laptops with better processors and low end video cards. In fact the OP of this thread showed me a few computer with good processors and a GT 710 card which will not run the game. @DivinylsFan your video card counts too as I mentioned above. Do you have a laptop or desktop and what video card?
  • Christopher69BChristopher69B Posts: 159 Member
    @igazor they are putting out allot of desktops and laptops with better processors and low end video cards. In fact the OP of this thread showed me a few computer with good processors and a GT 710 card which will not run the game. @DivinylsFan your video card counts too as I mentioned above. Do you have a laptop or desktop and what video card?

I will be going with a desktop gaming pc now instead of a laptop. Looking for a i5 processor or higher or AMD FX 8000 series and looking for at least a GFX 1050 graphics card or higher. Have also heard the AMD RX 480 & 580 are quite good graphics cards.

I will be going with a desktop gaming pc now instead of a laptop. Looking for a i5 processor or higher or AMD FX 8000 series and looking for at least a GFX 1050 graphics card or higher. Have also heard the AMD RX 480 & 580 are quite good graphics cards.

I posted you some more options if you have not seen them. Be careful of power supply wattage. It should be 500 watt. AMD hardware does heat up more than Nvidia/intel. Make sure the case has good cooling and airflow. Stay away from HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus , Acer off the shelf. They will all give you computers that are hard to upgrade with tight cases and no cooling . You want a custom case with good cooling and aif flow. You have many options in the UK for a custom case
  • Christopher69BChristopher69B Posts: 159 Member

I posted you some more options if you have not seen them. Be careful of power supply wattage. It should be 500 watt. AMD hardware does heat up more than Nvidia/intel. Make sure the case has good cooling and airflow. Stay away from HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus , Acer off the shelf. They will all give you computers that are hard to upgrade with tight cases and no cooling . You want a custom case with good cooling and aif flow. You have many options in the UK for a custom case

I’ve mostly been looking at the ones with custom cases, mostly with intel i5 or i7 processors. And have been looking for graphics cards that are Nvidia GTX 1050 or higher.

I’ve mostly been looking at the ones with custom cases, mostly with intel i5 or i7 processors. And have been looking for graphics cards that are Nvidia GTX 1050 or higher.

i7 will generate more heat than an i5. If your not buying a custom desktop where you pick out your own hardware , you will get a generic cpu cooler which won't be the best.
    edited September 2017
    @igazor it is an Acer Aspire TC-280 Desktop PC
    it's not top of the line, but it's at least twice as good as my old one which played it fine before Windows 10, so it should be one and a half times as good with 10, which they all automatically come with at the moment. So, if it's a bit better than before, then it's win win.

I made an Excel spreadsheet that I learned in business classes, to budget and save up for it, and a dryer. The running total was a bit tricky, needed the formula in the second total, and then conditional formatting for it to get highlighted when it reached the goal.

Its been sitting there for a few weeks now, because I couldn't allow a day of no pc while it all sets up while I needed to study. Now I have a week's holidays and can take a day off the pc to set up the new one. yay!

Once I reached the goal though, the store that had it stopped selling it, so I had to look around and found a larger store and when I rang up the guy said 'ooh that's a good little unit for that price' I was like "I know". Turns out he had his own shop, reputable down the road here a while ago but had a car accident and had to close down .. always wondered why it did, so anyway so he knew what he was talking about.
    edited September 2017
    @igazor it is an Acer Aspire TC-280 Desktop PC
    it's not top of the line, but it's at least twice as good as my old one which played it fine before Windows 10, so it should be one and a half times as good with 10, which they all automatically come with at the moment. So, if it's a bit better than before, then it's win win.
    Some of the Aspire 280s in that line come with Intel integrated graphics only. Some come with an AMD R7 card, which on a desktop is kind of hybrid between integrated and dedicated. You're right on the edge there when it comes to all EPs, but I understand that it must be better than what you had before which became unworkable. Or, perhaps you have a different model Aspire 280 that I missed seeing in that lineup. There are apparently a lot of them. Players' experiences with TS3, and TS4 for that matter, will vary on the mid-range not really gaming systems like these.

Regardless though, I'm sorry but this is the Tech Discussions board. We don't advise other players, meaning the OP here, that a particular computer (desktop or laptop) will be "completely fine" when we know that it is below requirements to run the game. Or, again in the case of the OP, that its graphics card might not be able to get even the base game started up at all.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    my new pc isn't integrated. I know what that is.
    Radeon R7 430
    edited September 2017
    @igazor the r7 that comes with the amd apu is integrated . It states so. If it was a dedicated r7 it would have an actual number if it was dedicated r7 card. I believe @DivinylsFan stated somewhere their processor was 3.5 so that would be an integrated AMD "A" series apu with the r7 integrated graphics . I have to agree with @igazor that the Acer Aspire 280 desktop would not meet requirements and may have issues running the game
    edited September 2017
    3.8 ghz
    the only thing on the box that says about integrated is the LAN, like network, like internet. and the number is 430.
    and anyway, I didn't buy it to be the best, I bought it to be a bit better than what I had.
    my new pc isn't integrated. I know what that is.
    Radeon R7 430

When I look up that model it stated the r7 is integrated with an A10 apu which is a weak processor. Even if you had a r7 430 card that is a low end card and below requirements to run the whole game
    hey man, low end is better than bottom end
    hey man, low end is better than bottom end

it may not run the game or run it well. We are just letting you know. If it's new and it can't run the game the way it should run I would suggest returning it and getting something different
    edited September 2017
    I think we might be kind of getting away from the point here. Yes, the R7 340 (I think you mean 340 here, not 430) on a desktop I am sure is miles above what you had before but it's also miles above the laptop that the OP was originally asking about, though we have already taken them in a different direction that they seem happy with. There is practically no comparison between that particular R7 and an Nvidia GT 920M.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    hey man it's brand new, and I just explained that I'd saved up for it for months, I'm not going to return it. sounds like nobody is allowed to have a new computer or run the game unless it's super duper perfect. the only place it has the word integrated is next to Networking:
    the specs are 3 times better than the computer I'm typing on right now, and this one ran Sims 3 before the Windows 10 anniversary update late last year just fine. I had several worlds with 4 deep generations each, double storey houses and plenty of ghosts, and the only expansions I don't have are supernatural, pets and into the future, but who on earth wants supernatural I mean puke. same with pets. I have extra worlds from the store, stuff packs and cc from the store, and memories and screenshots blah blah blah. the only thing that stuffed it up was the windows 10 anniversary update. So. A computer doesn't need to be perfect. I can always upgrade the graphics card to 4gb instead of 2.
    maybe some people are jealous that other people have managed to save up for a new computer. well it took a lot of restraint and a tricky excel spreadsheet for me to do it, so I'm absolutely happy, no matter what anyone says. I am jumping for joy. Yay hooray! Woohoo! Yeah!
    edited September 2017
    guess what, I just found the specs on the store's website and it is dedicated graphics. thanks.

Barcode (GTIN) 4713392766848
    Product Type Desktops
    Brand Acer
    Model TC-280
    Colour Black
    Processor Brand AMD
    Processor Type A10
    Processor Model A10-7800
    Processor Max Speed (GHz) 3.90
    Installed RAM 16GB
    RAM Configuration 2 x 8GB
    RAM Type DDR3
    Keyboard Wireless
    Mouse Wireless
    Primary Storage Capacity 2TB
    Storage Type HDD
    Digital Media Cards Reader SD Memory Card
    Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
    Wireless Networking Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11ac
    Bluetooth Enabled Yes
    GPU Chipset Manufacturer AMD
    GPU Chipset Radeon R7 340
    Graphics Card Memory 2GB
    Graphics Card Memory Type Dedicated
    Connectivity 1x HDMI, 3x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
    USB Ports 7
    Other Ports RJ45
    Operating System Windows 10 Home
    Manufacturers Express Warranty (months) 12
    edited September 2017
    @DivinylsFan We help in tech every day because we want our fellow players to be able to run their games properly. Jealous. Far from it. My desktop bows yours out of the water. so does my laptop. I saved for those. Now even though you have a dedicated card it is very low end and you may have trouble running the higher eps like pets seasons, IP and ITF . EA put out requirements for this game for a reason and your computer does not meet them. If you choose to disrespect tech help when we are trying to help you we will just ignore you @igazor
    how can it have trouble when it's better than what I had before and the one I had before was fine?
    edited September 2017
    how can it have trouble when it's better than what I had before and the one I had before was fine?

First off this game does not like newer lower end hardware. Every computer is different. If you had a lower end computer before and it some how played the game you may have gotten lucky. I was just warning you that the desktop is below requirements and the game may not run well. i was advising you to install the game and test it out. if you have issues to then think about getting a different computer and returning the one you got. @igazor plays on AMD and can help you set it up so you can test it out
    edited September 2017
    I'll try to explain again. I am not jealous of @DivinylsFan's new computer and actually I think they will be reasonably happy with it especially coming from a place where they couldn't play the game at all. They should be proud of being able to save up to afford it. My own simming computer is coming up on six years old now, it's not as strong in some regards as this one is (although the graphics card is admittedly stronger), and it also serves and will continue to serve me just fine until old age catches up with it. At no point would it ever have been expected to blow anyone else's out of the water.

I mean this to be as kind as I can possibly say it but I would appreciate not having words put in my mouth. I've never once said that only the highest end computers should be able to run this game.

My objection here was only to the handing out of advice on this thread to the OP that would not have actually been helpful for them.

The warnings that are coming from @phoebebebe13 are coming from a place of experience and kindness, not jealousy or vindictiveness. A bit too much is being read into those. We just don't "do" hardware snobbery here, we merely advise players as best we can on their combinations of hardware both actual and for projected purchases. We also try to point out when players are planning to purchase a system that is far beyond what TS3 could possibly use to run, and ask if they had other intended uses for such a system in mind so that they don't waste too much money on too much processing power needlessly.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited September 2017
    @igazor I have to agree. We don't usually get hardware snobbery in the sims forums though I will have to find you one thread. Someone had a rocketship and was seriously going overboard and complaining that the sims 4 did not look good on their rocketship pc in 4k even though the sims 4 was never designed to run on a rocketship or in 4k. I got a good laugh
    edited September 2017
    my comment wasn't at you @igazor, my heart breaks to think you thought it was, I've always liked and appreciated you
    my son at university is in IT, he says it's cool and that if I want he can upgrade it. I showed him the ultimate pc at Arrow computers that's like $5K and he said I don't need that to run Sims 3. If I was going to get a different computer than what I just bought, it would be that one, after I get my diploma and am in a good job. Until then, I'll be happy on the one I just bought, because as you said, after not at all, it will be great. I don't need advice on my new computer, I never asked for it. I did ask in another post whether it would be better to download the reinstall or use my disks. @igazor answered that. On this post today I was commenting on that the laptop specs the OP wrote in his original and first comment, are better than my old computer and my old computer ran it fine, before windows 10, and so it should be fine too, maybe not perfect, but fine. Because maybe he was like me, didn't want to go all out, but just a step up from before. But pheobe has been like no, no, negative, negative, no and not at all. There's a lot of people who don't play to the extent of that it needs to be perfect, and I think some people who do, get stuck in that mindset and they can't fathom that other people don't.
    and she was wrong about the dedicated graphics on mine, so what else