Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking for a Mod

keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
that allows the Sims 2 to utilize all of my computer's memory. Is there anything out there like that?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    You can use the Graphics Rule Maker to set how much RAM the game will use if I remember correctly. Make sure to read the notes of how to set that for your machine.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Thanks @Cinebar. I will look into this.
  • Options
    keekee53 wrote: »

It tries to set the limit depending on your video card, but you can set this yourself, too. And if your video card is recognized by the game, but with today's new cards not many are in the game files as known cards since that's ten years ago, but the new GR program tries to adjust for all that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited September 2017
    The sims 2 is set to not use any more then 2 GB of ram. The only way I know to get it to use more ram is to use the 4gb patch. You should only use this patch if you are on a 64 bit OS, and have at least 8GB of ram in your pc. (the computer needs ram to run Windows, virus scanners ect. so you want to make sure you have enough to allow the game to use more.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Download it, extract it (you can just do extract here as you do not need to keep it after using it, and it doesn't need to be in any certain place.)Double click on the extracted part, a box will open up showing your files. In that box go to:

C: (or whatever drive you have the game on) -> program files (x86) -> Origin Games -> Sims 2 UC-> Fun with pets -> SP9 ->TSBin

Then double click the Sims 2 .exe (should read Sims2 EP9) you should get a message saying it was patched successfully. Close out the message and you are done. You can delete or stash away the patch, as you wish.

It does help the game load a bit faster, build mode ect. load up faster. So it does help, and is perfectly safe. (So long as your pc meets the requirements) I have been using it for years, nothing exploded yet. :D

Oh this is not only good for sims, if you have other older games you play that don't pull enough ram, it will also work on those. :)

Post edited by JULES1111 on
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

It tries to set the limit depending on your video card, but you can set this yourself, too. And if your video card is recognized by the game, but with today's new cards not many are in the game files as known cards since that's ten years ago, but the new GR program tries to adjust for all that.

Ah but memory or ram , is not dependent on your video card. It is a separate entity. Some card come with ram they can pull from, but each game is set to only use so much.
  • Options
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Ah but memory or ram , is not dependent on your video card. It is a separate entity. Some card come with ram they can pull from, but each game is set to only use so much.

It has a place to set this in the options. From 128MB to higher than 4,000MB etc.
  • Options

It has a place to set this in the options. From 128MB to higher than 4,000MB etc.

Isn't that the texture memory? I didn't see any instructions or place to set ram, seems strange, I might have to have another look at it.
  • Options
    Let me know what you guys find :) Thank you so much for your help.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    @JULES1111 Okay, i'm a bit lost here. It's the PC Ram who have to be at least 8 MB ? Are you sure it's not GB instead, because it seems pretty low 8 MB for a PC Ram ... Or i misunderstand and you'r not talking about the PC Ram.
  • Options
    @JULES1111 Okay, i'm a bit lost here. It's the PC Ram who have to be at least 8 MB ? Are you sure it's not GB instead, because it seems pretty low 8 MB for a PC Ram ... Or i misunderstand and you'r not talking about the PC Ram.

Gah :o yes! Thank you it is GB not MB. I should really learn not to try to post things half asleep. :neutral: Went back to change my post. Thank you for the heads up.
  • Options
    @JULES1111 well, i'm specialize into posting things half asleep too so .. ^^ thank you too :)
    Do you think i could copy/past TH2 executable somewhere else to be able to revert back the updating if anything goes wrong ? I do have 8GB of ram and a 64 bit OS but i have an old computer (he's something like 6 years old ...) and the processor is kinda weak.
  • Options
    @JULES1111 well, i'm specialize into posting things half asleep too so .. ^^ thank you too :)
    Do you think i could copy/past TH2 executable somewhere else to be able to revert back the updating if anything goes wrong ? I do have 8GB of ram and a 64 bit OS but i have an old computer (he's something like 6 years old ...) and the processor is kinda weak.

Yes you can make a copy of your .exe and put it somewhere else, just in case. Just not in the sims 2 file. I have a back up of everything I changed, just in case something dreadful happens and I need to reinstall. If for some reason something goes wrong you can just take your copy and drop it back in after deleting the altered one of course, can't have 2!
  • Options
    So i have copy the entire sims 2 folder, and i've just install the patch. Now let's hope that my PC won't blow up :worried:
  • Options
    So i have copy the entire sims 2 folder, and i've just install the patch. Now let's hope that my PC won't blow up :worried:

Oh fingers crossed! I don't think it will blow up, I am sure you will be fine. I haven't seen any pc explode because of it yet. :D
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited September 2017
    The sims 2 is set to not use any more then 2 GB of ram. The only way I know to get it to use more ram is to use the 4gb patch. You should only use this patch if you are on a 64 bit OS, and have at least 8GB of ram in your pc. (the computer needs ram to run Windows, virus scanners ect. so you want to make sure you have enough to allow the game to use more.

Download it, extract it (you can just do extract here as you do not need to keep it after using it, and it doesn't need to be in any certain place.)Double click on the extracted part, a box will open up showing your files. In that box go to:

C: (or whatever drive you have the game on) -> program files (x86) -> Origin Games -> Sims 2 UC-> Fun with pets -> SP9 ->TSBin

Then double click the Sims 2 .exe (should read Sims2 EP9) you should get a message saying it was patched successfully. Close out the message and you are done. You can delete or stash away the patch, as you wish.

It does help the game load a bit faster, build mode ect. load up faster. So it does help, and is perfectly safe. (So long as your pc meets the requirements) I have been using it for years, nothing exploded yet. :D

Oh this is not only good for sims, if you have other older games you play that don't pull enough ram, it will also work on those. :)

I did this but I don't delete securom :# so it does not helped me out. With CC the catalogs are slow and make block the game.
    I got a 8 Gb of ram and a 4 core processor more than 3Hz

Before with vista 32 bits I used bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa it works fine but I don't think it'll work with windows 10 64 bits

and you know what the game is processor greedy it's not normal.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I did this but I don't delete securom :# so it does not helped me out. With CC the catalogs are slow and make block the game.

Before with vista 32 bits I used bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa it works fine but I don't think it'll work with windows 10 64 bits

Then it looks like Securom is the source of your problem...
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options

I agree with @Scribal_Goddess . If your game is That slow then it is Securom slowing it down. Especially if you are on Windows 10. They don't play well together.
  • Options

Isn't that the texture memory? I didn't see any instructions or place to set ram, seems strange, I might have to have another look at it.

It's the RAM for the card, like mine has 2GB of RAM on the card. I had to set my manually because it's not in the TS2 accepted card list in config and it's not one the Graphics Rule Maker has, either.
  • Options

It's the RAM for the card, like mine has 2GB of RAM on the card. I had to set my manually because it's not in the TS2 accepted card list in config and it's not one the Graphics Rule Maker has, either.

I had to set my card manually as well. Graphic rules didn't help, and my card was certainly not on the list of accepted cards. The ram that comes with a graphics card is separate from the ram that is inside your pc. Not all graphics cards have ram attached, but all computers have ram.

Ram on a card is memory on the graphics card that hold information on the textures that are to be rendered in a game, along with other things, so your game runs smoother (less rendering because it is held to memory) Computer ram is for the speed you can get processes to run. The more ram your pc has the faster it can load games, load internet pages ect. You can add the card manually, and it even says how much ram the card has next to it, but I don't believe you can set the actual computer ram from there, as it has nothing to do with graphics. At least I couldn't find anything, and wouldn't understand if you were able too. The .exe is set up to only read so much, so unless you alter that, I don't see how you can give the game more ram.