Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Video file doesn't open in Windows 10

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
edited September 2017 in Off Topic Chat
Hello, I recently bought a new alienware laptop. I played the sims 3 and 4 in windows 8 on my old computer, so I don't have any information about the windows 10. I recorded some videos while playing the sims 4 but the videos won't open. It keeps saying 'this is a format we don't support'. So what can I install to make it run? I appreciate with all helps. thank you.

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    What is the format and what are you using to record? I sort of remember having this issue.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    What is the format and what are you using to record? I sort of remember having this issue.

It's AVI file and it automatically opens with Movies & TV. I recorded this with in game video button.

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, we need to know the format. If it's .mov, you would probably need Quicktime.

I can't remember if the "Films & TV" app can open .mov tho. You can always try, I believe it does. So just right click on the video and choose "Open with > Films & TV".
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    edited September 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    Yeah, we need to know the format. If it's .mov, you would probably need Quicktime.

I can't remember if the "Films & TV" app can open .mov tho. You can always try, I believe it does. So just right click on the video and choose "Open with > Films & TV".

Sorry but AVI is not a format? I'm searching on internet to find out the solution but even youtube videos are not working.
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Sorry but AVI is not a format? I'm searching on internet to find out the solution but even youtube videos are not working.

AVI is a format. It should open with the default "Films & TV" or even the "Windows Media Player". You have to download Windows Media Player tho. It's not in Windows 10 by default, but I just like it cuz I'm used to using it.
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay Thanks. I found a VLC media player, now all my videos work well. :D
    That's great.
    832XG3D.gif
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    @DeKay Thanks. I found a VLC media player, now all my videos work well. :D

Good you found VLC. Was going to actually highly recommend it until I saw you already found it. I've found that a few movie files I've ripped from my DVDs won't play on Windows 10's app, but they all play just fine with VLC.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Wait, Windows 10's media player doesn't recognize AVIs by default? Those have been around forever. Even videos recorded on The Sims 2 use AVIs.

And once again, VLC is here to save the day.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Wait, Windows 10's media player doesn't recognize AVIs by default? Those have been around forever. Even videos recorded on The Sims 2 use AVIs.

And once again, VLC is here to save the day.

Window's 10 doesn't have the Windows 7 type of media player. They changed it.

The default Windows 10 app called Films & Tv works for me tho. So I don't know what happened in OP's computer tho.
    832XG3D.gif
    I don't like the new photo viewer in 10 either :\
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    edited September 2017

I use Photo Viewer (like the one in Windows 7).

My Windows 10 was a fresh install so I had to download a file to add some things to the registry. Or at least, I guess I did? I don't remember doing it tho. It's been 2 years. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfSuaHL-SM
    832XG3D.gif

My Windows 10 was a fresh install so I had to download a file to add some things to the registry. Or at least, I guess I did? I don't remember doing it tho. It's been 2 years. :D

Ooh, I didn't know it was tucked in there. Thanks!

Ooh, I didn't know it was tucked in there. Thanks!

No problem. Tell me how it goes! :)
    832XG3D.gif
  • BlackenPartyBlackenParty Posts: 1 New Member
    hello, maybe VLC helpful. Recently, I just solved my video issue by a tutorial(http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/vlc-to-mp4.html), and I know that it is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player can not only be compatible with various audio and video formats but also can convert videos. VLC has some hidden functions you didn’t notice, for example, it can solve the problem of splitting videos, you can play and download YouTube with VLC media player, what’s more, VLC is also as a VLC media converter.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    I do not know why this game saves videos as AVI format. It is an antiquated video format that Windows has stopped supporting. I should be updated to MKV. This is another reason why it is time to move past TS4 and onto TS5.

How is it they have not updated the video saving format?
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱