Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will my laptop run Cats and Dogs?

Until now I've been able to play the sims 4 on my laptop. As you know, the system requirements has increased for the Cats and Dogs expansion pack. Will I be able to play it? I'm so scared that I'll have to buy a new computer.

My specs are:
-Windows 10
-Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz with turbo boost up to 2.6GHz
-8,00 GB RAM (7,88 available)
-64-bite operative system
-AMD Radeon R7 M265 with 2GB dedicated VRAM

Comments

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I wouldn't recommend getting Cats and Dogs with the laptop you have. Please keep in mind that desktop and Laptop CPU are different. Laptop CPU are dual core. The Desktop CPU go up to quad-core. Laptop CPU are weaker than Desktop CPU. Gaming laptops need to have Intel Core I7 in them. At least Nvidia GTX 1060 in it. In my opinion.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Your laptop falls in a gray area. It's below recommended requirements but above minimum requirements. I don't know how your laptop will fair with cats and dogs. You might be fine. We don't know what is in this ep. I can only tell you if your laptop is below minimum, in between, or meets recommended requirements.

The game does require a mid range gaming desktop. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You do need a more powerful laptop than you have to equal the recommended requirements . The recommended requirements is so you survive all the game and it's add ons. The more you add to this game, the more demanding the game becomes. If you intend on playing this game with all it's add ons in the end you may need a new computer
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    james64468 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend getting Cats and Dogs with the laptop you have. Please keep in mind that desktop and Laptop CPU are different. Laptop CPU are dual core. The Desktop CPU go up to quad-core. Laptop CPU are weaker than Desktop CPU. Gaming laptops need to have Intel Core I7 in them. At least Nvidia GTX 1060 in it. In my opinion.

they make both dual and quad i5 and i7 on laptop. op does have a dual . The game requires quad. Some newer quad core i5 laptops are fine though i7 quad core is preferred

The GTX 1050 on laptop is actually a better card than the GTX 650 on desktop. The game requires a GTX 650 desktop of better
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member

they make both dual and quad i5 and i7 on laptop. op does have a dual . The game requires quad. Some newer quad core i5 laptops are fine though i7 quad core is preferred

The GTX 1050 on laptop is actually a better card than the GTX 650 on desktop. The game requires a GTX 650 desktop of better

Yeah I should have look it up. I didn't mention the GTX 650. I always try to think of the future stuff packs, game packs and expansion packs. It is strange that every time I do research on gaming laptops I find the worst laptops with integrated graphics or they have 940mx for the graphic card. Just seems more and more that it marketing gimmick with the name gaming in it.
  • Options

Yeah I should have look it up. I didn't mention the GTX 650. I always try to think of the future stuff packs, game packs and expansion packs. It is strange that every time I do research on gaming laptops I find the worst laptops with integrated graphics or they have 940mx for the graphic card. Just seems more and more that it marketing gimmick with the name gaming in it.
    Yes they will add gaming to laptops when they are not for gaming. They do this with lower end desktops too. They might give you a good processor but stick it with a low end video card.

On laptop we recommend 1050, 1050 ti , 1060. It depends on the prices of laptops which can change and the person's budget. If a person has a lower budget I would not go lower than a 1050 and an i5 quad. It should survive the whole game though maybe not on ultra
  • Options
    FoxiUzumakiFoxiUzumaki Posts: 3 New Member
    I am sorry about posting here but I can't make my own post ;A; I wanna know if my computer would run cats and dogs aswell?

AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.70 GHz
    4.00Gb (3.60 usable)
    64-bit Operating system
    windows 7
    I don't really know how to find my graphics card though. I am more worried about the processor since I think my computer meets the minimum. I don't have the money for a good laptop and this is the only one I got so hopefully I won't run into to many problems.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I am sorry about posting here but I can't make my own post ;A; I wanna know if my computer would run cats and dogs aswell?

AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.70 GHz
    4.00Gb (3.60 usable)
    64-bit Operating system
    windows 7
    I don't really know how to find my graphics card though. I am more worried about the processor since I think my computer meets the minimum. I don't have the money for a good laptop and this is the only one I got so hopefully I won't run into to many problems.

Your processor is very low end and would be pared with an integrated video card which does not meet requirements to run the game. The game requires desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware. You need a higher end gaming laptop to meet the requirements on desktop. you can not upgrade a laptop processor and video card, you are stuck with the specs you buy. You only have 4gb ram to run your video card/processor, windows, origin and other programs. Cats and Dogs alone needs 4gb ram to run not including the ram your computer needs to run. You will have trouble playing the cats and Dogs ep if it will even run at all. Sorry for the bad news. I suggest saving up for a new computer that meets requirements

EA will not give you a refund if you buy cats and dogs and can't run it
  • Options
    Ah Alright well I try and see since I wanted to check it out, Its plays the games perfectly fine with the packs and all so Im hoping it could play just a little bit.
  • Options
    Ah Alright well I try and see since I wanted to check it out, Its plays the games perfectly fine with the packs and all so Im hoping it could play just a little bit.

It plays fine for now. EA raised the computer requirements for this new ep. Like I mentioned above they will not give you a refund if you can't run it.
  • Options
    I understand thank you!
  • Options
    Your welcome
  • Options
    SynneSolSynneSol Posts: 85 Member
    Okay, guys. I've been playing cats and dogs for a couple hours now. This far it's working great! I hope it stays this way
  • Options
    Glad the EP will play well for you. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    PotatogirlPotatogirl Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello! I have the same question as well- if the Cats and Dogs extension pack will for my laptop. Here is my laptop info
    Operating system: Windows 8 pro 64-bit
    CPU: AMD E2-6110
    Graphics card: 768MB ATI AMD Radeon R2
    Ram: 4.00 GB
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited November 2017
    I keep getting a message saying that my laptop doesnt have enough memory to run cats and dogs but it's running pretty fine so far
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    AngelEb95 wrote: »
    I keep getting a message saying that my laptop doesnt have enough memory to run cats and dogs but it's running pretty fine so far

Hello
    Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here
  • Options
    CalleighDukeCalleighDuke Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi! I have a desktop running a 64-bit version of Vista. I have 8GB of RAM and 1 terabyte of space on the hard drive. The major problem is that it's running Vista. Will I still be able to play Cats and Dogs? I have been running the 64 bit version of Sims 4 since they released it.
  • Options
    Potatogirl wrote: »
    Hello! I have the same question as well- if the Cats and Dogs extension pack will for my laptop. Here is my laptop info
    Operating system: Windows 8 pro 64-bit
    CPU: AMD E2-6110
    Graphics card: 768MB ATI AMD Radeon R2
    Ram: 4.00 GB

Hello @Potatogirl
    I am so sorry :( but your laptop doesn't meet the recommended requirements to run the game.
    Cats and Dogs requires 64 bit mode. You need to have more than 4gb to access that,
    You have an integrated processor video card. It uses the same computer ram along with the game , origin, windows and other programs that you have on your computer. It could cause issues with computer if you tried running it.
    I am so sorry :(
    If you would like help either now or in the future in fiinding a computer that can run the game and packs, you can post in this section of the forums and simmers will offer suggestions and help.

• Options
    Hi! I have a desktop running a 64-bit version of Vista. I have 8GB of RAM and 1 terabyte of space on the hard drive. The major problem is that it's running Vista. Will I still be able to play Cats and Dogs? I have been running the 64 bit version of Sims 4 since they released it.

Hello @CalleighDuke
    I am so sorry :( but the ep doesn’t support Vista. You won’t be able to play it
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/cats-and-dogs-faq#q5
  • Options
    CalleighDukeCalleighDuke Posts: 3 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > CalleighDuke wrote: »
    >
    > Hi! I have a desktop running a 64-bit version of Vista. I have 8GB of RAM and 1 terabyte of space on the hard drive. The major problem is that it's running Vista. Will I still be able to play Cats and Dogs? I have been running the 64 bit version of Sims 4 since they released it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @CalleighDuke
    > I am so sorry :( but the ep doesn’t support Vista. You won’t be able to play it

I was worried about that. I'll try to update the operating system. Thanks!
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > CalleighDuke wrote: »
    >
    > Hi! I have a desktop running a 64-bit version of Vista. I have 8GB of RAM and 1 terabyte of space on the hard drive. The major problem is that it's running Vista. Will I still be able to play Cats and Dogs? I have been running the 64 bit version of Sims 4 since they released it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @CalleighDuke
    > I am so sorry :( but the ep doesn’t support Vista. You won’t be able to play it

I was worried about that. I'll try to update the operating system. Thanks!

I am sorry :( You may need to see if your computer system hardware can handle a new operating system. It may help to be contact with @chesterbigbird with your computer details to see if your computer can handle it.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > Potatogirl wrote: »
    >
    > Hello! I have the same question as well- if the Cats and Dogs extension pack will for my laptop. Here is my laptop info
    > Operating system: Windows 8 pro 64-bit
    > CPU: AMD E2-6110
    > Graphics card: 768MB ATI AMD Radeon R2
    > Ram: 4.00 GB
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @Potatogirl
    > I am so sorry :( but your laptop doesn't meet the recommended requirements to run the game.
    > Cats and Dogs requires 64 bit mode. You need to have more than 4gb to access that,
    > You have an integrated processor video card. It uses the same computer ram along with the game , origin, windows and other programs that you have on your computer. It could cause issues with computer if you tried running it.
    > I am so sorry :(
    > If you would like help either now or in the future in fiinding a computer that can run the game and packs, you can post in this section of the forums and simmers will offer suggestions and help.

My friend gave me a stick on 4 extra GB of ram. If I installed that in my laptop, it wouldn't make a difference? The EP still wont work?
  • Options
    Potatogirl wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    > Potatogirl wrote: »
    >
    > Hello! I have the same question as well- if the Cats and Dogs extension pack will for my laptop. Here is my laptop info
    > Operating system: Windows 8 pro 64-bit
    > CPU: AMD E2-6110
    > Graphics card: 768MB ATI AMD Radeon R2
    > Ram: 4.00 GB
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @Potatogirl
    > I am so sorry :( but your laptop doesn't meet the recommended requirements to run the game.
    > Cats and Dogs requires 64 bit mode. You need to have more than 4gb to access that,
    > You have an integrated processor video card. It uses the same computer ram along with the game , origin, windows and other programs that you have on your computer. It could cause issues with computer if you tried running it.
    > I am so sorry :(
    > If you would like help either now or in the future in fiinding a computer that can run the game and packs, you can post in this section of the forums and simmers will offer suggestions and help.

My friend gave me a stick on 4 extra GB of ram. If I installed that in my laptop, it wouldn't make a difference? The EP still wont work?

@phoebebebe13 will also look at your computer details when she comes onto the forums and offer feedback also.
  • Options
    Thanks, I appreciate it