Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Iron Seagull confirms the Controls are bad

Iron Seagull confirms a lot of people's fears, towards the end he claims that he's played almost "all of the Sims console games" but the controls for this are the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENNSgM-HK9E

Comments

• Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    So the controls take a little getting used to for a pc player. Hardly my worse fear. If you dont like the look or sound of the game just dont play it.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited September 2017
    So the controls take a little getting used to for a pc player. Hardly my worse fear. If you dont like the look or sound of the game just dont play it.

He specifically states he is a console player too. And it's not about getting used to them, he says they are awkward.
    I want to play on console. I have a PS4 I want to play on. Feedback is needed so EA act. They have acted on other things before.

You seem like you're honestly happy with anything, which is fine, but honestly, this needs to be good so I don't have to get a new PC (they cost over 1k for a decent one nowadays).

I don't want to have to replace my PC when I have a PS4 sitting there. They just need to actually make a decent port.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

He specifically states he is a console player too. And it's not about getting used to them, he says they are awkward.
    I want to play on console. I have a PS4 I want to play on. Feedback is needed so EA act. They have acted on other things before.

You seem like you're honestly happy with anything, which is fine, but honestly, this needs to be good so I don't have to get a new PC (they cost over 1k for a decent one nowadays).

I don't want to have to replace my PC when I have a PS4 sitting there. They just need to actually make a decent port.

I agree. I think the console version is going to be in difficulty enough without poor controls. If the controls are awkward then they should fix it.
  • KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    So, is this iron seagull person the next LGR?
    Karlia wrote: »

I don't think so. For one Iron Seagull likes the sims 4!

Nope

I dont really understand how you can say that as you haven't played it yourself personally and experience it yourself. Your just going off of what 1 person has said.

I dont really understand how you can say that as you haven't played it yourself personally and experience it yourself. Your just going off of what 1 person has said.

BUT. I. HAVE.

The Sims 2 Pets used an almost identical control scheme and it was terrible. And I made my judgement off of this the first time I saw gameplay, I didn't need to have someone tell me.
    @Karlia wrote: »

Iron Seagull likes the Sims 4. He's just being honest.
    LGR pretends to like The Sims, to get views, but has pretty much hated every pack since The Sims 3 base game.

I don't know why people even trust LGR's judgement, when he praised a universally panned, game just because it has Duke Nekem in it.
    The guy lives in the 90's and hates anything that doesn't seem Retro. Which is why he likes Duke Newton Forever even though the game is trash.

He also praised The Sims 3 Midnight Hollow pack and Roaring Heights pack, despite they were $50 US, and said they were expensive but "worth the price", because he likes them. Yet bashed every Sims 3 EP except Seasons saying they weren't worth the money.

It's like, "I like this pack so it's worth it" rather than informative reviews. We literally get more content that's "worth it" in a Sims 4 stuff pack, yet he thinks it's a rip off. Go figure. Yet is happy paying for a $50 world that comes with less items and gameplay, and is mostly a new way to look at an existing game. But when The Sims 4 does it, it's "set dressing" when in reality, new worlds in The Sims 3 were also set dressing.

Same exact world, different set (when it comes to Store Worlds he's praising).
    Which there is nothing wrong with, but at least be consistent in your arguments.
    edited September 2017

I agree. I think the console version is going to be in difficulty enough without poor controls. If the controls are awkward then they should fix it.

I'm honestly so disappointed in EA, because this looks like the laziest port of a Sims game ever.
    They didn't even take the time to bring over the Gallery, which the Sims 3 had on console (built in) which still runs to this day.

They literally changed nothing about the UI, and you can just tell this game will be a pain to play sitting on the couch with a UI this small.
    The PC UI is designed for your head to be 30cm away from the screen.

This looks like it will be only playable on 50" TV's or so. There is no way I could play this on my TV like I can all the others (mine is 35")

You'd think with all the money they're investing into The Sims Mobile, that same love and care could be put into the console port.

Apparently not.

LGR pretends to like The Sims, to get views, but has pretty much hated every pack since The Sims 3 base game.

I don't know why people even trust LGR's judgement, when he praised a universally panned, game just because it has Duke Nekem in it.
    The guy lives in the 90's and hates anything that doesn't seem Retro. Which is why he likes Duke Newton Forever even though the game is trash.

He also praised The Sims 3 Midnight Hollow pack and Roaring Heights pack, despite they were $50 US, and said they were expensive but "worth the price", because he likes them. Yet bashed every Sims 3 EP except Seasons saying they weren't worth the money.

It's like, "I like this pack so it's worth it" rather than informative reviews. We literally get more content that's "worth it" in a Sims 4 stuff pack, yet he thinks it's a rip off. Go figure. Yet is happy paying for a $50 world that comes with less items and gameplay, and is mostly a new way to look at an existing game. But when The Sims 4 does it, it's "set dressing" when in reality, new worlds in The Sims 3 were also set dressing.

Which there is nothing wrong with, but at least be consistent in your arguments.

That's not fair, he does like The Sims series. He just isn't a fan of all the sims 4 stuff packs. He praised parenthood and vampires even though he is not a supernatural fan. He never said Roaring Heights was worth the price, he liked the town, hated the Coaster builder and the price and he left links to similar free towns on the exchange. It's entirely subjective if a world is more worth it compared to a stuff pack. Frankly I'm not even sure they should be compared.

Roaring Heights in the sims 3 has ninety three lots. Hardly set dressing when you know you can go to every lot. Just saying. Roaring heights comes with 93 items not including the gold items. Game play wise we got The boardwalk, the ability to build your own Coaster and a fixer upper car. Worth it to me, I appreciate not to you and that's ok but it's a tad unfair to say it comes with less items and game play than a stuff pack.
    I get you don't like Lgr but don't spread misinformation about either. Just because he has a different opinion to you doesnt make him less of a fan.

• KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start a discussion on the topic, I was just making an attempt at sarcasm.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Consoles were never really meant to handle something like The Sims. I mean, the mouse has to be translated into a controller. They're completely different control methods. There's no debate. It's like translating Russian into Japanese.

I'm not at all surprised that the controls are not as effective.

Don't even think of blaming programmers here. THis is EA looking for another platform to make money off. It doesn't mean the game becomes bad here. And to some extent the PS4 and XBox can handle the specs now. But they're still consoles. CAS is totally less powerful.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    edited September 2017

BUT. I. HAVE.

The Sims 2 Pets used an almost identical control scheme and it was terrible. And I made my judgement off of this the first time I saw gameplay, I didn't need to have someone tell me.

Ive watched a few more videos and it does look like the arrows in build mode are hard to grab (like when building a swimming pool) so i hope the make the cursor a bit more sensitive and less slow when you move it.
    Post edited by Simsfan99111 on

I'm honestly so disappointed in EA, because this looks like the laziest port of a Sims game ever.
    They didn't even take the time to bring over the Gallery, which the Sims 3 had on console (built in) which still runs to this day.

They literally changed nothing about the UI, and you can just tell this game will be a pain to play sitting on the couch with a UI this small.
    The PC UI is designed for your head to be 30cm away from the screen.

This looks like it will be only playable on 50" TV's or so. There is no way I could play this on my TV like I can all the others (mine is 35")

You'd think with all the money they're investing into The Sims Mobile, that same love and care could be put into the console port.

Apparently not.

Dont play it then on console, stick to pc :)
    edited September 2017

That's not fair, he does like The Sims series. He just isn't a fan of all the sims 4 stuff packs. He praised parenthood and vampires even though he is not a supernatural fan. He never said Roaring Heights was worth the price, he liked the town, hated the Coaster builder and the price and he left links to similar free towns on the exchange. It's entirely subjective if a world is more worth it compared to a stuff pack. Frankly I'm not even sure they should be compared.

Roaring Heights in the sims 3 has ninety three lots. Hardly set dressing when you know you can go to every lot. Just saying. Roaring heights comes with 93 items not including the gold items. Game play wise we got The boardwalk, the ability to build your own Coaster and a fixer upper car. Worth it to me, I appreciate not to you and that's ok but it's a tad unfair to say it comes with less items and game play than a stuff pack.
    I get you don't like Lgr but don't spread misinformation about either. Just because he has a different opinion to you doesnt make him less of a fan.

The Boardwalk was actually seperate to Roaring Heights, as well as the coaster. Roaring Heights only included the fixer up car.

He praises packs from The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 (minus Stuff Packs for both) and then will later hate them.
    If you watch his "best to worst" packs videos for The Sims 3, he literally bashes nearly every pack.
    He praised a lot of packs in The Sims 4, and then called them all "meh" later. The problem he has, is he says what he thinks people want him to say at the time, but overall, he dislikes the series quite heavily, with hating the majority of TS3/TS4. He claims he doesn't, but no one can hate 90% of a product like he does, and then claim he's a natural fan.

Just because a world has 93 lots, doesn't mean a thing. You're not paying for lots, you're paying for the world, which effectively is a set.
    The only thing different with Roaring Heights and Sunset Valley, is how it looks. Which effectively is what people claim "set dressing" is.

People argue that City Living is no different to Willow Creek (minus apartments) and that it's all set. But that's the same with Roaring Heights. All the City Buildings are just Rabbit Holes. All the Apartments in Bridgeport and San Myshuno are all set dressing.

You can visit all 93 lots in Roaring Heights, just like I can visit all 120+ lots in The Sims 4, but what surrounds them is a set. The Sims 3 worlds are open, but all of the Rabbit Holes are set dressing, the lighthouses, deco buildings etc. you see are sets. The mountains and areas surrounding the worlds is a set, no different to that of The Sims 4.

People just confuse "backdrops" with "openness". Had The Sims 4 worlds been open world, the size of The Sims 3, but built the same way with heavy backdrops, no one would be using set dressing negatively. All Sims games have it.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Honest? I feel like this was a bad idea, just because of the type of game Sims 4 is. It makes Sims look terrible in the eyes of Console players. Just because the console has the power to handle it doesn't mean it should have a version.

It's like when Rise Of The Robots was ported all over the place; there were a lot of consoles it should never have been ported to.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Shows how much funding EA is giving them for this port. The whole “take the entire PC game and put it on a console” concept is a good move honestly, but it definitely requires a completely redesigned user interface. A virtual pointer is a major inconvenience in a game that was designed to be ‘intuitive’. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. A good start would be enlarging the pointer in live mode and in B/B. CAS should not have went with a pointer, but with the various manipulation points depending on the angle of the sim I guess that would have been a big undertaking.
    Shows how much funding EA is giving them for this port. The whole “take the entire PC game and put it on a console” concept is a good move honestly, but it definitely requires a completely redesigned user interface. A virtual pointer is a major inconvenience in a game that was designed to be ‘intuitive’. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. A good start would be enlarging the pointer in live mode and in B/B. CAS should not have went with a pointer, but with the various manipulation points depending on the angle of the sim I guess that would have been a big undertaking.

I still think it could work. It just needs fine tuning as from a few of the videos it looks like the sensitivity of the pointers movement is a bit slow (I find some pc games like and they usually have a slider that lets you change how sensitive the mouse is).
  • MrStrangeMrStrange Posts: 66 Member
    I'm hoping they will look at controls for Sims 3, and realize, "You know what? These didn't suck. Let's make these controller scheme B for Sims 4!"
    That's my hope. :*
    edited October 2017
    I just hope they get the cursor speed right as when you see deligracy trying to move the cursor to click on the sim in her console gameplay video it seems kinda slow and the sim had walked off by the time she got the cursor to him.

Edit - watching other videos of console gameplay and its fine so i have no idea why i was concerned :)
    Post edited by Simsfan99111 on
    That's weird. Putting that in the options would be easy enough (or using common sense) I would think.
    MrStrange wrote: »
    That's weird. Putting that in the options would be easy enough (or using common sense) I would think.

Its probably not an issue and im just being fussy but it would be cool to have an option for cursor speed. I have mine set to the fastest on all games so i can look around fast lol
    On Sims 3 you could hold LT/L2 and then it would pan the whole screen around at a good pace.
    Hey Devs, explain the control scheme change? Or, ya know, don't bother and just put controller scheme B over on Sims 4. :)
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    For a game like the sims I can see why the controls might be a little weird, when the sims 3 came out on console I’m 100% certain people had the same complaint of “controls are a bit awkward,” in the beginning, but after playing for a bit I’m sure the console controls will become an instinct of some sort. You can’t trust one persons opinion after that person barely even played the game much.