Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Pronounce "Gif"

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    nani wrote: »
    @MRSMLOG would you pronounce giraffe "guiraffe" because it start with a G ?

giraffe isn't an acronym though
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    cthulhufhtagn

My accent is odd.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    MRSMLOG wrote: »
    Well, it stands for Graphic Interchange Format. You wouldn't say Jraphic. So hard G. :)

I hate it when I see people say this.

Laser is short for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". But you pronounce the S in laser with a Z sound, not an S sound. So....

Plus, the creator says it should be pronounced as 'jif'. So, it's only right if we go with what the creator says it should be pronounced. Just like if your parent gives you a name and tells you to spell it and pronounce it a certain way, you would do it and also correct everyone else who pronounces it differently/wrongly.

as dekay said, acronym's letters can have a different pronunciation than the full word
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    MRSMLOGMRSMLOG Posts: 21,181 Member
    Let's all exchanje Christmas jifts at my houze! You can see my pet gurraffe that I got from the soo. He'z houzebroken two so he won't zhit on the floor!!
    :D This argument is just plain silly!
  • Options
    Let's all exchanje Christmas jifts at my houze! You can see my pet gurraffe that I got from the soo. He'z houzebroken two so he won't zhit on the floor!!

english is silly :D it's my fave foreign language but it really is silly with it's 10 different pronounciations for a single letter.
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »

english is silly :D it's my fave foreign language but it really is silly with it's 10 different pronounciations for a single letter.

Slightly off-topic, but what's your native tongue? :b
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    ChocoCub wrote: »

Slightly off-topic, but what's your native tongue? :b

estonian. We pronounce everything the same all the time, with only a few words, literally a few exceptions.
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member

It is a very weird language.

"tough"- gh = pronounced as an "f"
    "though"- gh = silent
    "ghost"- gh = pronounced as a "g"

Okay...
  • Options
    TeenWolf_1999TeenWolf_1999 Posts: 498 Member
    edited September 2017
    İt depends on which language ı speak at that moment.İf ı speak in english i pronounce it as ''jif''.(Not like ''jif'' kinda like ''jifff'')But in my mother tongue it becomes ''gif''.(İt is actually kinda silly because people usually asks me meaning of gif after that)
    VaguePepperyAmericancrayfish-max-1mb.gif
    Steam:Quanode
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Well, it stands for Graphic Interchange Format. You wouldn't say Jraphic. So hard G. :)

Laser is short for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". But you pronounce the S in laser with a Z sound, not an S sound. So....

Plus, the creator says it should be pronounced as 'jif'. So, it's only right if we go with what the creator says it should be pronounced. Just like if your parent gives you a name and tells you to spell it and pronounce it a certain way, you would do it and also correct everyone else who pronounces it differently/wrongly.

Except here's the flaw in that argument: just because your parents name you something, it doesn't mean they are pronouncing it correctly. For example, when chosing a name for me, my mom considered the name "Catriona", a Gaelic name she saw in a baby book. For years, she would tell people about this, always pronouncing it "cat-ree-own-uh". Then a couple years back, I was thinking about changing my name, with that as one of my top contenders. I looked up how to pronounce it on YouTube though, and found out for 25+ years, my mom had been pronouncing the name wrong and it's actually pronounced just like the name "Katrina".
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    SoapSuds wrote: »

"though"- gh = silent

Okay...

Here you go...
    https://youtu.be/uZV40f0cXF4
  • Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    Jif
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    twiddle3twiddle3 Posts: 8,293 Member
    Myself, I've always said Gif with a G, Pronouncing it how it's spelled. :D

I did'nt know you could say or spell it any other way tbh. But i guess Jif sounds plausible, I suppose both ways are correct really it's more down to preference.
    Christmas_Banner.png
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    What gif the "g" is silent?

I usually say jif though. Gif with a hard g sounds like a sneeze anyway. And I dunno I've just heard jif more often so it's what has stuck. The creator of it can pronounce it however he wants anyway and he says jif. He could say its pronounced Bob if he wants. We'd all deem him some crazy eccentric and judge him for it and it would be pretty justified. But it is his creation. I get the whole graphics argument but people often don't follow the rules of English either so meh. Worse sins against the English langauge have been committed. Ultimately I think either way is acceptable and I don't get why some people get so obsessed about it (not saying thats anyone here of course but I have seen it before).
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

Except here's the flaw in that argument: just because your parents name you something, it doesn't mean they are pronouncing it correctly. For example, when chosing a name for me, my mom considered the name "Catriona", a Gaelic name she saw in a baby book. For years, she would tell people about this, always pronouncing it "cat-ree-own-uh". Then a couple years back, I was thinking about changing my name, with that as one of my top contenders. I looked up how to pronounce it on YouTube though, and found out for 25+ years, my mom had been pronouncing the name wrong and it's actually pronounced just like the name "Katrina".

Your argument makes sense cuz your mother didn't invent the name. So I get why my parent argument is a bit flawed.

But like I said the guy who created .gif pronounces it as that, so since he created it, we should go by his pronunciation nonetheless.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    fifilacotafifilacota Posts: 47 Member
    I pronounce it GIF as in GIF. Any other variation is a LIE.
    2lub093.png
  • Options
    ToulouseGooseToulouseGoose Posts: 75 Member
    i don't pronounce it
  • Options

Your argument makes sense cuz your mother didn't invent the name. So I get why my parent argument is a bit flawed.

But like I said the guy who created .gif pronounces it as that, so since he created it, we should go by his pronunciation nonetheless.

He didn't create it though. It's simply an acronym for Graphics Interchange Format. Which brings us back to why it should be pronounced with a hard G.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I pronounce it with a hard g, but I don't understand why some people get so defensive when other people say it differently. You don't get riled up when someone says "route" while you pronounce it "route", do you?
  • Options
    ^Which bring us back to...
    SoapSuds wrote: »

"though"- gh = silent

Okay...

Here you go...
    https://youtu.be/uZV40f0cXF4

• Options
    I pronounce it with a hard g, but I don't understand why some people get so defensive when other people say it differently. You don't get riled up when someone says "route" while you pronounce it "route", do you?

No, but this isn't an issue of regional accents. That's comparing two different things.

And honestly, I don't think anyone here is getting particularly defensive. I think we are well within our rights to have a debate about it.

UnderstatedUniformBronco-max-1mb.gif
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

He didn't create it though. It's simply an acronym for Graphics Interchange Format. Which brings us back to why it should be pronounced with a hard G.

What are you talking about? This guy, Steve Wilhite created the Graphics Interchange Format and it's not even the animated kind of gifs but he pronounced it as jif.

http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Steve Wilhite created the Graphics Interchange Format, or GIF, while working for Compuserve in 1987. When he received a Webby Award in 2013 for it, and delivered his five-word acceptance speech (that's all the Webbys allow), he flashed a GIF on the big screens at the Cipriani Wall Street in New York.

And, in a flash, it all became clear:
    "It's pronounced JIF, not GIF."

Source

It's settled: How to pronounce 'GIF'

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member

No, but this isn't an issue of regional accents. That's comparing two different things.

And honestly, I don't think anyone here is getting particularly defensive. I think we are well within our rights to have a debate about it.

UnderstatedUniformBronco-max-1mb.gif

I wasn't referring to "you" as in you specifically, I mean people in general who get so worked up and defensive about it. Sorry it came off as rude haha. But I do think the gif pronunciation can be compared to words like route because your own pronunciation is tied to how people say it around you. People can scramble for any explanation to try to justify why they pronounce gif a certain way, but I believe it just comes down to how you were first exposed to it and how the people around you pronounce it. Idk, you can definitely disagree but that's how I see it.
  • Options

What are you talking about? This guy, Steve Wilhite created the Graphics Interchange Format and it's not even the animated kind of gifs but he pronounced it as jif.

http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/

He didn't create the name, I meant. Maybe I was wrong after all and some people are taking taking this too seriously after all.

Ta-ta everyone. Hopefully once you get this figured out, maybe next you can take on world hunger.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻