Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Retail Store Challenge (UPDATED)

Comments

• CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    Thank you so much @BreeMiles and @AIRIS6962 ! :) Really love both your mobile shops (and your toddler toys shop too Bree, as well as your sims for your shops)! <3 I'm actually glad this challenge includes all three aspects of the game, making a sim, building and playing, that is so much fun! B) That means my progress will be slow lolz, but I'll be glad to share my progress here. :)

I did have a practical question, as I haven't uploaded a lot of complete lots in Sims 4 and as I understand correctly there are some differences between the Gallery and the Exchange from Sims 3. Is it correct that depreciation in value of your lot does not upload to the Gallery like it used to with the Exchange? So in Sims 4 the value is determined by what you have on the lot when it is new, straight out of build/buy mode? I remember in Sims 3 playing a lot for a while would bring down its value which helped me out with a few challenges with a budget back then. But that is not the case anymore in Sims 4/the Gallery? Also, is it right that for the same reason upgrades to appliances disappear when you upload a lot to the Gallery? Remember again that those stuck around when you uploaded to the Exchange in Sims 3.

Yay, so glad to have you on board as well @SoulGal7 !

Ok, step 1, my sim for the challenge, coming right after this! :)
    So here's my challenge sim: :)

Jaheem Rafiq
    Gallery Link
    36233811794_dd9b10509f_b.jpg

Jaheem is fresh out of college, and has collected a degree in the arts. His great passion is photography and while he's living on a tight budget, he wants to realise his dream of opening his very own photography store where he can sell his own pictures, and maybe in a later stage, also sell his paintings. I also love creating families for my sims, so Jaheem here is the brother of one of my earlier sims, Nadav who you can find here. Jaheem is gonna run his store on his own, as that's the challenge, but Nadav might pop up in story when Jaheem is not working. :) Not sure what his shop is going to look like lol. I have a few ideas, but nothing concrete just yet.

But before I start building, here's a few more pictures of Jaheem:
    36897977882_13c368bbab.jpg36233811684_dd4e94b019.jpg
    36897978082_0a57810290_z.jpg

And his outfits:
    36927133951_38c3a2792a.jpg36898008442_4520d25e33.jpg36898008382_24dab51faf.jpg36898008302_a0b45716fc.jpg36898008242_7a72d29329.jpg36898008052_e4ccec08b9.jpg

ok, now back to thinking about what his photography shop is going to look like! :)
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    BreeMiles wrote: »
    Not sure why but it made me travel to my home lot to pay the electric bill! Is this Normal does anyone know?
    Was there not an option on the phone to pay bills?
    Maybe try placing a mailbox somewhere on the retail lot to see if you can pay bills that way.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Oh @Corwim dear I'm im in love with this hunk! He is too cute! Good question dear Corwim I'm really not sure but I think if it depreciates before you upload it then is the depreciated price. I'm not sure on the upgrades at all!

Hi sweet @EuphorialQueen yes placing a mailbox on the store lot let me pay my bills! Thank you so much! At the time there was an option on the phone but when I selected it, it never done anything! Now I do know that the store lot has to have a mailbox! So if anyone uses my lots put a mail box on the lot! I forgot in both lots!
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Corwim - what a great looking sim! Oh that will be cool, photography/art studio. I read all your questions on the lot downloads Sims 3 vs. Sims 4, but to be quite honest, I didn't download a lot of lots in Sims 3. Downloading in Sims 4 is much easier, though. The Gallery feature is one of the best features in the sims 4 game. I will post my sim shortly. I would really like to do a retail challenge within the challenge to see what type of store would be the most profitable., or maybe someone already knows this answer. Sort of 2 different saves, but starting 2 different businesses.
    Oh @Corwim dear I'm im in love with this hunk! He is too cute! Good question dear Corwim I'm really not sure but I think if it depreciates before you upload it then is the depreciated price. I'm not sure on the upgrades at all!
    Hi sweet @EuphorialQueen yes placing a mailbox on the store lot let me pay my bills! Thank you so much! At the time there was an option on the phone but when I selected it, it never done anything! Now I do know that the store lot has to have a mailbox! So if anyone uses my lots put a mail box on the lot! I forgot in both lots!
    @BreeMiles Glad my suggestion worked. ;)
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
    edited September 2017
    Not sure why but it made me travel to my home lot to pay the electric bill! Is this Normal does anyone know?
    Was there not an option on the phone to pay bills?
    Maybe try placing a mailbox somewhere on the retail lot to see if you can pay bills that way.

Yes, dear! You´re right! You can place a mailbox on your Store lot and it costs 0 simoleons!
    BTW, it´s great to see you here. Don´t you want to join to the fun? Say yes, please! :smiley:
    Corwim wrote: »
    Thank you so much @BreeMiles and @AIRIS6962 ! :) Really love both your mobile shops (and your toddler toys shop too Bree, as well as your sims for your shops)! <3 I'm actually glad this challenge includes all three aspects of the game, making a sim, building and playing, that is so much fun! B) That means my progress will be slow lolz, but I'll be glad to share my progress here. :)

I did have a practical question, as I haven't uploaded a lot of complete lots in Sims 4 and as I understand correctly there are some differences between the Gallery and the Exchange from Sims 3. Is it correct that depreciation in value of your lot does not upload to the Gallery like it used to with the Exchange? So in Sims 4 the value is determined by what you have on the lot when it is new, straight out of build/buy mode? I remember in Sims 3 playing a lot for a while would bring down its value which helped me out with a few challenges with a budget back then. But that is not the case anymore in Sims 4/the Gallery? Also, is it right that for the same reason upgrades to appliances disappear when you upload a lot to the Gallery? Remember again that those stuck around when you uploaded to the Exchange in Sims 3.

Yay, so glad to have you on board as well @SoulGal7 !

Ok, step 1, my sim for the challenge, coming right after this! :)

It´s great that your first lot on The Gallery is going to be for this challenge! :smiley:
    I think I noticed a little depreciation in value indeed while you´re playing but in that doesn´t affect to the lot when you upload it to The Gallery. About the upgrades in appliances I have no idea, I never tried to upgrade before uploading.
    I can´t wait to see your Photography Store!

Your sim looks wonderful! as all the sims you make, dear <3 Anyway, I have my favourite one :mrgreen: and I have him in my game.
    You will can see soon some pics of my progress. I made another store and a new sim and I started again.
    Here you are an advance:
    05-09-2017_22-03-54.png
    :mrgreen:
    My sim does not live there, but he does!
    Post edited by AIRIS6962 on
    Thank you so much @BreeMiles , @SoulGal7 and @AIRIS6962 ! :) Hehe, I think Jaheem here will be a fun sim to play this starter retail story with. Will check on the depreciation and upgrade possibility while building, making sure it all stays within budget of course. ;)

Totally agree that the Gallery is a lot easier to use than the Exchange ever was. Do wish we could change the pictures of the uploads though, especially with lots as the standard picture sometimes really does not give a very representative look of the actual build. But then again, like you said, it is so much easier and faster to download something and check it out in game. :) Hehe, and good question, not sure what the most and/or fastest profitable type of store would be, will be interesting comparing here during the challenge! B)

And ooooh so exciting to see my sim Luke in your game there Airis! <3 And look at the fancy house you've given him, I love it! B) Can't wait to read and see more of your new store and sim and their story (and how Luke here mixes up in all of that ;) ).

This is my new Starter Store:

Nursery Plants Store

07-09-2017_14-03-36.png

I love gardening and to buy plants for my patio in stores like this in RL. This one has 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen, TV and bookshelf because your sim will need to live in it! It has a gorgeus orchard with lots of plants and trees too.

More pics soon in my Showcase Thread!
    And ooooh so exciting to see my sim Luke in your game there Airis! <3 And look at the fancy house you've given him, I love it! B) Can't wait to read and see more of your new store and sim and their story (and how Luke here mixes up in all of that ;) ).

He is very lucky. I put him in my SeaFoam home with the lovely elderly couple that I used to playtested it LOL :mrgreen:
    SoulGal7 wrote: »
    @Corwim - what a great looking sim! Oh that will be cool, photography/art studio. I read all your questions on the lot downloads Sims 3 vs. Sims 4, but to be quite honest, I didn't download a lot of lots in Sims 3. Downloading in Sims 4 is much easier, though. The Gallery feature is one of the best features in the sims 4 game. I will post my sim shortly. I would really like to do a retail challenge within the challenge to see what type of store would be the most profitable., or maybe someone already knows this answer. Sort of 2 different saves, but starting 2 different businesses.

I can´t wait to see your sim, dear! :smiley:
    You´re right, no all the stores gives the same profit. The one what I´m playing now gives me great profits! My conclusion is that to expend a bit more on the products to sell gives you more and faster profits.
    Thank you so much @BreeMiles , @SoulGal7 and @AIRIS6962 ! :) Hehe, I think Jaheem here will be a fun sim to play this starter retail story with. Will check on the depreciation and upgrade possibility while building, making sure it all stays within budget of course. ;)

Totally agree that the Gallery is a lot easier to use than the Exchange ever was. Do wish we could change the pictures of the uploads though, especially with lots as the standard picture sometimes really does not give a very representative look of the actual build. But then again, like you said, it is so much easier and faster to download something and check it out in game. :) Hehe, and good question, not sure what the most and/or fastest profitable type of store would be, will be interesting comparing here during the challenge! B)

@Corwim dear there is a program out there that you can change the gallery pic's! I think simsvip picked up the modder that made it back of this maybe start looking there! I have seen a few builds on the gallery from time to time that have changed there's! If I run across the link I will share it with you!
    @AIRIS6962 You sim and lot is an awesome addition to the challenge sweetie! Looks like so much fun! I have so many store idea's running through my head now! I can't wait to see everyone else's!
    AIRIS6962 wrote: »
    This is my new Starter Store:

Nursery Plants Store

07-09-2017_14-03-36.png

I love gardening and to buy plants for my patio in stores like this in RL. This one has 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen, TV and bookshelf because your sim will need to live in it! It has a gorgeus orchard with lots of plants and trees too.

More pics soon in my Showcase Thread!

I love this store! I had thought of a gardening store as well. Will download and have a look at it. Very, very nice!
    edited September 2017
    Here is my retail sim. Meet Hank Western. He is opening an electronics store. I also made his sister, Hallie Western (just a female version of Hank lol). She will be opening a retail clothing store. Have played up until Weds. for Hank, and just made Hallie. Traits are the same, just aspiration is different, but both from the creative aspiration. The race is on. Who will make more simoleons? They are not playing in the same save, but 2 totally separate saves.
    hank.png
    hallie_western.png

They are both up in the gallery now :)
    Post edited by SoulGal7 on

Thank you very much, @BreeMiles and @SoulGal7 !

@SoulGal7 , those sims are wonderful! Great work!
    Are you going to upload them? I couldn´t find them under our hashtags #StarterRetailChallenge #GetToWork
    @SoulGal7 very lovely sims sweetie! That Hank has the electronic sales look to him! That is such a wonderful idea also! Hallie is beautiful also, and a clothing store what a wonderful Idea! Can't wait to hear how it turns out for them and who gets there first!
    AIRIS6962 wrote: »
    Thank you very much, @BreeMiles and @SoulGal7 !

@SoulGal7 , those sims are wonderful! Great work!
    Are you going to upload them? I couldn´t find them under our hashtags #StarterRetailChallenge #GetToWork

They are both up in the gallery now.
    A question. If I put out an item for sale and no-one has purchased it for the entire week, may I replace it with something else on Friday?
    A question. If I put out an item for sale and no-one has purchased it for the entire week, may I replace it with something else on Friday?
    Great question
    Here are the lots I am using for my 2 sims. Hank's build was actually made by another simmer Sookieanne as a residential lot. I just changed it to a retail store and deleted items on the lot. The basic structures remain the same. So, credit for the build is hers, I just changed it a bit.
    Wild West Electronics (Hank Western's store)
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/9BEE93BA94D511E78CDFE7BB463CB5E0?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=SoulGal7&max=50&maxis=false
    wild_west.png

Even though I said I am not a great builder, I decided to attempt a build for Hallie's clothing boutique. I thought it turned out pretty good.
    Threads (Hallie Western's store)
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/6098EF16951011E789CDE7BB463CB5E0?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=SoulGal7&max=50&maxis=false
    threads.png

I am currently writing a blog and had started writing about Hank, then got the idea of having a brother and sister open 2 different stores to see which one would be more profitable, so am thinking of combining the 2 stories into 1. So, then you get to see what happened in Day 1 of Hank's store and also Day 1 of Hallie's store, and then a comparison. Does this sound like a good idea? It's a work in progress right now.
    @AIRIS6962 @BreeMiles
    Any tips for creating a Retail Store? Or strategy for running one? Tried owning a retail lot once and failed miserably. :lol:

Not sure what you asking for. For a starter store you better spend more money on the stuff you´re going to sell. No need to sell many products, but more they cost bigger profits you will get. Don´t invest much money on decor, you will can upgrade your store later when you got more money.

Yes, of course you can.

@SoulGal7 , those stores are wonderful, dear! The clothing boutique is so cute and lovely! <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top