Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graphics Cards confound me...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Loanet Some games require more vram (video card ram) than others. You would be fine with a 2gb vram card if only playing the sims. If you were playing a game like GTA V that requires more vram , a 4gb vram card would be needed

Vram is separate from your computer ram.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    As phoebebebe mentioned.. it depends on the games being played and the resolution of your monitor.
    You do not have a high resolution and most likely will not be playing any really graphically demanding new games. So 2GB of video ram will be enough.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I just got the 1050 4GB minicard (and a Corsair 750 Power Supply). The minicard fits great into my computer and I can see the difference even on Sims 4 right now.

The only problem at this moment is that the power supply doesn't connect up to my CD drive, which renders my CD drive without power. The explanation for this is simple - it's a laptop CD drive. That would be HP's fault. Laptop CD drives don't usually connect to Desktop power supplies, unless you buy a 10-bucks adapter. Still, it's all been sorted by the guy I paid, and what isn't sorted is easily sortable.

I just felt like I should tell you both that your advice was very helpful.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I just got the 1050 4GB minicard (and a Corsair 750 Power Supply). The minicard fits great into my computer and I can see the difference even on Sims 4 right now.

The only problem at this moment is that the power supply doesn't connect up to my CD drive, which renders my CD drive without power. The explanation for this is simple - it's a laptop CD drive. That would be HP's fault. Laptop CD drives don't usually connect to Desktop power supplies, unless you buy a 10-bucks adapter. Still, it's all been sorted by the guy I paid, and what isn't sorted is easily sortable.

That don't surprise me. I once was going to turn a hp into gaming computer. But decided it be better off as a office computer.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Your welcome. Glad you got it worked out. For future reference if and when you need or buy a new computer, go custom where you pick out your own certified hardware. This way you will have no issues replacing or upgrading hardware. Off the shelf computers are a pain to upgrade . Does not shock me that HP put laptop hardware in your desktop. :/
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    james64468 wrote: »

That don't surprise me. I once was going to turn a hp into gaming computer. But decided it be better off as a office computer.

Straight off the shelf, a HP computer is probably better off as a paperweight.

In the future I will definitely do more research into the level of customisation I need but the upgrades I got will carry my computer for 3 or 4 more years, based on how I play a lot of Indie games. And Cities: Skylines.
    Post edited by Loanet on
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options

I'm glad the mini card did fit!
    I'm not completely sure you have a laptop CD drive, however you may have a slim one which most likely uses the mini sata connection in which case you would need a standard sata to mini sata adapter cable.
    your tower is most likely too small to fit a standard dvd drive.
    Becasue your tower is small please keep a close eye on heat production and temperatures, because adding a better card would of made the heat factor that little bit worse, and those HPs are notorious for not having any ventilation.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @chesterbigbird Thanks for your advice. The CD drive is a vertical-loader, not horizontal. Even I can probably unscrew the side and throw in an adapter, since I've seen the sockets. The minicard has plenty of room. I don't even think my tower is that small, really. Just the CD drive.

I need the CD to play the games I have hard copies of, but there's no ninja rush.

I can already see a difference on other hard-hitting games like Euro-Truck 2 and Cities Skylines, plus GeForce lets you download an optimiser to help out. Of course I have some games that it makes no difference for, like Stardew Valley and Prison Architect.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @chesterbigbird Thanks for your advice. The CD drive is a vertical-loader, not horizontal. Even I can probably unscrew the side and throw in an adapter, since I've seen the sockets. The minicard has plenty of room. I don't even think my tower is that small, really. Just the CD drive.

I need the CD to play the games I have hard copies of, but there's no ninja rush.

I can already see a difference on other hard-hitting games like Euro-Truck 2 and Cities Skylines, plus GeForce lets you download an optimiser to help out. Of course I have some games that it makes no difference for, like Stardew Valley and Prison Architect.

GeForce Experience really only just adjusts in game settings.. i never download it as to me it's bloatware, as i would rather configure settings myself.
    Do not use GeForce experience to update your drivers though.. do that through the Nvidia website.
    Connecting a dvd drive is very easy, you have one power cable to psu and one sata cable to the motherboard.
    Alternatively just get a portable one :

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-External-DVD-Drives/zgbs/pc/1292113011
    And although you think your case might not be that small, It does not have much ventilation or anything in the way of cooling, so please be mindful of heat.. if you have any pc crashing or game lag then that might be a likely cause.
    Post edited by chesterbigbird on
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide