Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All We Want To Do Is Give You More AWESOME Builds!

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    @Cinebar I have noticed this, too. I never realized that it contributed to lag! Thanks for pointing that out. :)

I didn't mean to go off topic but when so many praise the new pull and tug features they never mention the sort of problems I notice people cause when using a box for a wall instead of just using the stand alone wall tool. It's why many of them can't remove a room etc. Because they have double walls (extra rooms shrunk into the wall) etc.)

But speaking of stairs why don't we have the ability (like in TS3) to use the stair railing as fencing like we do in TS3? In TS3 (IIRC) Your fence could be used as the stair rail, too or vice versa or something. TS4 can't do that, either.

I've never had that trouble

I often run into wall trouble in builds because if I'm redecorating and because build and buy are combined one can grab a wall instead of a table and the viola (since people use double walls) you have then created a new room since they use the 'box' rather than the single wall tool. I have used the box in the beginning since it was easier (TS2 has a box, and so does TS3 people thinks this is new) but found out shortly this can create double walls, by mistake.

ETA: On topic, @ehaught58, come home to TS2 or TS3 where you can enjoy building again basements with windows :) castles buried inside the side of a mountain, indoor pools in split level homes, dinosaur digs deep down in the earth, space stations higher than four stories....dream again.

Thanks @Cinebar I can't believe that I am truly giving up any hope for the Sims 4. I had put my faith in the developers to pull through for us builders, but I can see that it ain't gonna happen. I really enjoyed playing the Sims 3, so for the first time in the 17+ years that I have been playing the Sims, I am going backwards (if you ever could consider TS4 as moving forward) to a previous version. I will continue monitoring the progress of the Sims 4 and possibly purchase any further build mode content, but most likely not. I just don't see the Sims 4 ever reaching the building capability and potential of the previous versions... sad! :(
    It is very obvious that TS4 was NEVER aimed at building. They have completely taken away our building creativity with all of the restrictions and limitations put on us. By the amount of attention EA/Maxis pays to family and game play, as compared to build mode, it is so blatantly obvious that build mode is nothing but an afterthought when it comes to adding new content. Thanks EA for alienating veteran builders. Of course, this is my opinion.

I'm back in TS2 for now, until they fix Origin, the save system and add more stuff for builders (options). I spent two days churning out eleven buildings and I have my multi level columns and kitchen curtains, lol, seriously pet peeves of mine, and my steps can be placed on a diagonal porch, diagonally. And I just finished my deepest basement. Good times. :) And it's time to rebuild the Enterprise and swoosh my Star Trek Sims up and down those levels in my beloved elevators to all the floors of their ship, like a maze, one down this corridor, takes me to engerneering and back up to the main bridge, another has a shaft and may skip floors...where building is fun!
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    I'm back in TS2 for now, until they fix Origin, the save system and add more stuff for builders (options). I spent two days churning out eleven buildings and I have my multi level columns and kitchen curtains, lol, seriously pet peeves of mine, and my steps can be placed on a diagonal porch, diagonally. And I just finished my deepest basement. Good times. :) And it's time to rebuild the Enterprise and swoosh my Star Trek Sims up and down those levels in my beloved elevators to all the floors of their ship, like a maze, one down this corridor, takes me to engerneering and back up to the main bridge, another has a shaft and may skip floors...where building is fun!

That sounds awesome, another Sci-Fi player. I'm looking to see if I can find a Sims 2 bundle packs somewhere as we lost our disks in the house fire we had several years back. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out how to fix this Error Code 12 in TS3 (I'm having the worst luck with the Sims right now I swear) so I can at least play that and have fun in my Sci-Fi world "Colony." I put a lot of love into but it still needs a little work..

JmBZQH9.jpg

WKMRJH8.jpg

CSdKNYo.jpg

@ehaught58 I'm hoping to be surprised in regards to Builders getting a nod, but their priorities don't seem to have room for us unfortunately. They release so many Stuff Packs that they couldn't present one to the Builders?? I find that so weird.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited September 2017
    Baenre wrote: »

That sounds awesome, another Sci-Fi player. I'm looking to see if I can find a Sims 2 bundle packs somewhere as we lost our disks in the house fire we had several years back. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out how to fix this Error Code 12 in TS3 (I'm having the worst luck with the Sims right now I swear) so I can at least play that and have fun in my Sci-Fi world "Colony." I put a lot of love into but it still needs a little work..

JmBZQH9.jpg

WKMRJH8.jpg

CSdKNYo.jpg

@ehaught58 I'm hoping to be surprised in regards to Builders getting a nod, but their priorities don't seem to have room for us unfortunately. They release so many Stuff Packs that they couldn't present one to the Builders?? I find that so weird.

A builder's pack would be something that most everyone would need to buy. Imagine if someone downloaded a house from the gallery that used say a terrain tool that came with a builder's pack but they didn't have said pack...that could be a nightmare.

Their best bet would be to patch in building tools making them available for everyone.
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

A builder's pack would be something that most everyone would need to buy. Imagine if someone downloaded a house from the gallery that used say a terrain tool that came with a builder's pack but they didn't have said pack...that could be a nightmare.

There best bet would be to patch in building tools making them available for everyone.

I mentioned the packs being used to offer construction tools such as new windows, doors, archways, foundations, wall/floors, columns. We had something similar in TS3 of construction kits like the Bauhaus kit that offered builders modernized windows and such. But yes, something like actual terrain manipulation would have to be patched in, and as I mentioned in another post, they could have patched in something on our wishlist for base game during updates or new packs coming out.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    A good way to help is to post what kind of build tools you want. Saying more build tools isn't helpful. I was never a builder until Sims 4, and I like making starter homes.

The things I want personally are spiral stairs, ladders, auto roofs. Garages too.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    A good way to help is to post what kind of build tools you want. Saying more build tools isn't helpful. I was never a builder until Sims 4, and I like making starter homes.

The things I want personally are spiral stairs, ladders, auto roofs. Garages too.

Talking of roofs... we need more types. More fences and gates too. More styles of foundations. Do we even have curves for pools? I don't remember.
    @Baenre, I was lucky I never did suffer error 12 with TS3, I prefer AMD cards and prosessors for those very reasons of tech bugs like that. Did you ever try to change the setting of how far you can see in game from number 4 down to number 3 in the game settings? I can't remember where those are located in settings, but I do remember when the game was first released Nickodemus (well known on TS3 help) discovered this stopped a lot of crashing for many players. It couldn't hurt to try it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Talking of roofs... we need more types. More fences and gates too. More styles of foundations. Do we even have curves for pools? I don't remember.

Nope not one curved edge.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

sure we can make a curve as long as it has straight lines.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Baenre wrote: »

JmBZQH9.jpg

WKMRJH8.jpg

CSdKNYo.jpg

Their best bet would be to patch in building tools making them available for everyone.

That's why I think the new roof types need to be patched.

They honestly need to give all the roof types for free, for the builders, this game already lacks so much when it comes to building.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited September 2017
    I really wanted make my own thread to adress that Build mode has been neglected. @ehaught58 has made a few of these threads and I was feeling motivated to make my own one, because if we want Build mode to be better we have to speak up more! Something like toddlers was always a conversation on this forum before they were added and I think that Build mode needs more attention like toddlers.

The Sims 4 has two different modes: Live mode and Build mode. Live mode has gotten at least 95% of all of the attention from EA and Maxis. Every year Live mode gets more and more content. Of course Build mode gets some more objects, but that is not what I am talking about here. I'm talking about Build mode not having any depth. With the release of TS4 Build mode looked pretty cool, because building became a lot easier with all the dragging pointers and such. And we have gotten some new features in building: adjustable roof eaves, friezes, spandrels, adjustable foundations, round platforms, columns in walls, three different wall heights, roof/room/stairs copying and adjustable window heights. And while these features are great, they don't compensate for all of the features that are now missing previous iterations (terrain tools, ponds, CASt, etc.). In TS3 we could use the constrainfloorelevation cheat to manipulate our buildings in almost anything that we could imagine! And that is so not the case for TS4. It is very limited.

Let me give you all a specific example of how Build mode has been neglected. We have gotten roof trims, friezes, exterior trims and spandrals as new features in TS4. I love these features and they add some nice details to our builds. While they don't add anything substantively to buildings, they are very much welcomed. But I don't find these tools very abundant. There aren't a lot of trims, friezes and spandrels to choose from. It's sad, because such new features, that add some really nice aesthetics to builds and distinguishes them from eachother, are being abandoned by EA. While they actually should expand on these if these are the new features, because tools like these are all that TS4 has! If you're gonna add new features then at least do it right!
    jCnNc60.png

As I said, these tools don't add anything really substantive to buildings. And if we get more roof trims, friezes, exterior trims and spandrals I wouldn't consider that a new building tool, but more a new building object. We are desperate for new building tools! Maybe seperate foundations, ponds, rooms with seperate wall heights, basements with windows, attic rooms, split-leveling, stair landings, etc. Some simple terrain tools would already make me very happy!
    And yes, I saw the new roofs that we are getting and again: those aren't new building tools. The new pointers maybe are new building tools but the penta/hexa/octogonal roofs are more building objects.

I think it is possible to get new building tools. I mean, EA even patched in a whole new freaking age for our Sims!
    Anyway, let me know what you all think!
    Post edited by SimmerNickYT on
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Ooh, is this going to be the campaign thread? And will you be adding new requirements to the original post? I hope that the mods do not just merge this with other threads.

I would like to see:

More roof shapes
    Spiral stairs
    L shaped stairs
    Ladders
    Sweeping staircases
    More roof decor
    More fence options
    Matching gate options
    Many more carpet options and COLOURS
    More wallpaper options and colours
    More bushes and rocks
    More terrain paints

Is that enough for starters? ;)
    edited September 2017
    Ooh, is this going to be the campaign thread? And will you be adding new requirements to the original post? I hope that the mods do not just merge this with other threads.

I would like to see:

More roof shapes
    Spiral stairs
    L shaped stairs
    Ladders
    Sweeping staircases
    More roof decor
    More fence options
    Matching gate options
    Many more carpet options and COLOURS
    More wallpaper options and colours
    More bushes and rocks
    More terrain paints

Is that enough for starters? ;)

Actually I didn't intend this to be a campaign thread. I just wanted to get my thoughts out there. And I wanted to raise awareness on the topic. I like your ideas and I want these things too! Especially the stairs and terrain paints! But I held back on my ideas in this post, because I didn't want this to be an ideas thread. Otherwise I would've put it in the Ideas Corner. There is a thread that has specific ideas for the game listed in the Ideas Corner called "What CAN be done to fix TS4?". I just really wanted to put emphasis on the fact that we need actual building tools in the game. Not building objects. But thank you for your suggestions! :smiley:
    hPtVNfA.png
    This could definitely be a campaign thread! Very well written and good job showing examples of what has been added and what COULD be added to enhance the game! Hats off to you!
    edited September 2017
    This could definitely be a campaign thread! Very well written and good job showing examples of what has been added and what COULD be added to enhance the game! Hats off to you!

Thank you! I'm starting to feel like I don't completely understand what a campaign thread is. Could you maybe explain?
    hPtVNfA.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Sadly of all the attempts that have been made in making TS4 better it is the builders who still miss out the most

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    NickSims wrote: »

Thank you! I'm starting to feel like I don't completely understand what a campaign thread is. Could you maybe explain?

This is the thread that was instrumental in toddlers appearing in the game! Simmers spoke up about what they wanted (the thread is still active) and sure enough toddlers came. It was said that the Gurus were listening and they encouraged us as Simmers to give feedback such as that thread!
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @aricarai That thread was until this year at least the most active thread on the forums and although it has quietened down now it does still remain in the top page of feedback and I have only ever seen it fall off that top page once. When I went looking for it I found it at the top of the second page.

As it is likely that the development team are following what players want things can still look more positive in the future :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    NickSims wrote: »

This is the thread that was instrumental in toddlers appearing in the game! Simmers spoke up about what they wanted (the thread is still active) and sure enough toddlers came. It was said that the Gurus were listening and they encouraged us as Simmers to give feedback such as that thread!

Okay, that is clear. Thanks! Well I guess that this is the campaign thread then! However I won't be adding new requirements to the original post, because I don't want this to be in the ideas corner @elanorbreton. We already have a post like that in the ideas corner.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • NanoSimsNanoSims Posts: 43 Member
    i would like to model the shape of ground! im i the only one, i got bored of the flat one.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2017
    Yes I agree with that. I think my most wanted features are terrain and pond tools. It is like those tools have been available since the first Sims game and this is the first iteration they haven't been, so it just makes the Sims 4 feel off balanced without them. Getting colors for build mode to match is really tough to do too. Not all of the walls look good with the floors or roofs and hard to get pillars to match with a house too. There really needs to be a bigger variety for builders. Still feels like too much for suburbian builds and not so much for any style beyond that. Vampire pack did help a bit with grunge options, but yeah build mode could use a lot of help. I would like a wider range of colors too. The monochrome and muted colors get old fast. I would like to see like a real yellow, orange, and green for build mode, not tones that remind me of puke.

Need more options for stairs and I would love to have real elevators and ramps and escalators.

Oh really hard to build with large clutter too. I would love to see smaller clutter that actually fits on shelves for a change.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2017
    Buildmode on TS4 is lacking in every aspect. There's just not enough of anything, variety isn't part of this game. Three years in, we still mostly have what we got in the base game when TS4 came out.

And the only features they added were pools (it sounds so stupid to say this), basements, half walls, and the ability to copy rooms and roofs.

Where are the round pool and fountain shapes?

Spiral stairs?

L shaped stairs?

Platforms?

Separate foundation height?

Terrain tools?

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yes I agree with that. I think my most wanted features are terrain and pond tools. It is like those tools have been available since the first Sims game and this is the first iteration they haven't been, so it just makes the Sims 4 feel off balanced without them. Getting colors for build mode to match is really tough to do too. Not all of the walls look good with the floors or roofs and hard to get pillars to match with a house too. There really needs to be a bigger variety for builders. Still feels like too much for suburbian builds and not so much for any style beyond that. Vampire pack did help a bit with grunge options, but yeah build mode could use a lot of help. I would like a wider range of colors too. The monochrome and muted colors get old fast. I would like to see like a real yellow, orange, and green for build mode, not tones that remind me of puke.

Need more options for stairs and I would love to have real elevators and ramps and escalators.

Oh really hard to build with large clutter too. I would love to see smaller clutter that actually fits on shelves for a change.

Getting colours to match is a nightmare in this game. There was this one time where I wanted the window colours and the roof trim colours to be the same, but the roof trim colour that seemed to be the same as the window colour was slightly lighter than the colour of the windows. It annoyed me so much! How hard is it to implement a colour code!
    If they aren't gonna do CASt in the game I expect them to do wider colour ranges than this. And I expect them to actually do matching colours in the game. Because this doesn't work. Only a tiny selection of windows and doors fit together based on colours. And like you're saying: more yellow, orange and green. We need some yellow bricks in the base game.
    And I also feel like the building is way to American Suburban for builders (and gameplayers). It is just way to simple. The Build mode may work nice for an Amercan suburban. But when I try to create a Second Empire Victorian with the Vampire GP I can't get it the way I like, because the tools are not made for that and a lot of other architectural styles. Sure, the grunge objects help but objects windows, doors and a wallpaper aren't everything to a house. The same goes for Get Together. It's nice that give us the iconic wood with stucco wallpapers (like Tudor and Bavarian houses), but that is not everything to that architectural style.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I agree that builders have been neglected. I know that for a fact because I'm one of them and I felt neglected enough to abandon the game completely because it no longer keeps my interest. I'm hoping they rectify this problem in Sims 5, if it comes into being. I haven't forgiven EA for dropping their builders. I couldn't understand why they chose to drop so many players when Sims 4 first came out, and I still don't understand it now. It was mean to do that to players who so clearly and obviously existed.
    Okay, I just found out that my thread "Builders have been neglected!" has been merged with this one. That makes me really sad. Why aren't we allowed to have one or more building threads in this category? I even see two threads about teens on the first page. Why don't those get merged? All I wanted to do was raise awareness about building. It seems like only the OP here is allowed do that. Well, at least they read my thread.
    hPtVNfA.png