Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Subtitles versus Voice-over, what is your opinion?

I'd like to get opinions (this is not a poll, lol) on what simmers prefer in machinima.

I am not a fan of voiceovers because 1) the voices are not speaking simlish and 2) a lot of the times the characters and the accents don't match. However, I have been using subtitles when needed and sometimes that just doesn't seem to get the point across well.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Sunfisher0Sunfisher0 Posts: 211 Member
    It's a personal preference thing, but I prefer subtitles. Often times (and I see this often), it ruins the effect for me when the voice-overs are done with a bad mic and there is background fuzziness and clipping, or when one voice actor is significantly louder than the other.

For my own machinimas, I've used neither voices or subtitles, and used solely visuals and music to portray the point.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @Sunfisher0 Stories that are told with just visuals and music are the best. Yours are told really well! My story is a little more complicated and I need dialogue so I'm sticking with subtitles. I think having voiceovers detracts from the story.
  • Options
    ShemaShema Posts: 56 Member
    I agree, Voice overs just sound wrong, I think it's weird to hear a Sim speak a different language other than Simlish,
    I prefer subtitles as well.
  • Options
    SiMsStoriesSiMsStories Posts: 219 Member
    I also prefer subtitles than voice overs because of the exact reason, sunfisher0 had just pointed out. It can also make or break a series as well... Especially if the creator of the series have to rely on their voice actors/actress to play and send them their part. That does not mean I dislike every voice over machinima series... There are really good ones out there.

That does not mean Subtitles do not have any flaws, because it does. If a viewer is a slow reader they can tend to be annoyed by pausing the video and read each lines the characters are saying. It can get rather hectic at that point... It also ruins the experience. Same thing can be said when the subtitles are way too fast.

I am debating whatever or not I want to use VO playlist and a subtitle playlist go hand and hand with each other in near future. That way both type of viewers can get the best of both worlds and I do not have to sit there and wait months for a voice actor to get back to me with their voice lines.
    BHv51HO.gif
    Alive - Episode 2: Friends |watch it on| Youtube | Forum | Twitter
  • Options
    @Shema I agree! Sims should speak Simlish. I did try in a couple of episodes to record sims talking in simlish and use their own voices in an audio track. But can't always get the emotions I want through that so skipped back to just subtitles. Also adjusting the audio on their voices was difficult.

@Kairi_Hitomi What do you mean by VO playlist? I did google but it came up with a bunch of stuff about ipod shuffles. :blush:
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Shema I agree! Sims should speak Simlish. I did try in a couple of episodes to record sims talking in simlish and use their own voices in an audio track. But can't always get the emotions I want through that so skipped back to just subtitles. Also adjusting the audio on their voices was difficult.

@Kairi_Hitomi What do you mean by VO playlist? I did google but it came up with a bunch of stuff about ipod shuffles. :blush:

I mean VO as in Voice overs, sorry about that. :D
    BHv51HO.gif
  • Options
    @Kairi_Hitomi I did understand that VO meant voice overs, just didn't get the playlist bit. Let me make my question more clear. :)
    I am debating whatever or not I want to use VO playlist and a subtitle playlist go hand and hand with each other in near future. That way both type of viewers can get the best of both worlds and I do not have to sit there and wait months for a voice actor to get back to me with their voice lines.

What did you mean in this bit by VO playlist? What exactly are you planning on using since you aren't planning to use voice actors? Hopefully that makes more sense!

I also have been thinking about what you said regarding the speed of the subtitles. Looking back on mine, they may have been too fast. I've been planning the scene with my reading speed and I read pretty fast. I'm going to slow those down. Thanks for that advice.
  • Options
    MaliceStrykerMaliceStryker Posts: 35 Member
    I agree with everyone here so far, I think subtitles are the way to go. Voiceovers would be ideal if the voice acting was great and the audio quality was clean and fit in with the rest of the video (in terms of volume, cleanness, accents like someone mentioned, etc). But realistically that's a lot harder to pull off and to me, if any one of those things is off or stands out (someone's voice is too loud, background noise in the mic, voice doesn't fit the character, etc) then it kinda ruins the experience for me.

Subtitles are the safe and easy option, especially if you don't have a sound recording studio or really good software. And of course that comes with its own set of disadvantages, but at least it wouldn't throw off a viewer the way a poorly recorded voiceover would. I watch a lot of anime and foreign films so reading subtitles is second nature to me anyways~ xD just make sure the subtitles appear for a reasonable amount of time!

Though tbh if specific dialogue isn't needed in the story, I'd prefer it to purely be visual with music or sound effects and animations to portray the story. But like you said, sometimes more complex storylines can't be conveyed in that way. =) I'll definitely check yours out though!
    "I have no beef with you. I am... woefully beefless."

YouTube Channel
    (Sims videos start dropping once I get the PS4 version in November!)
  • Options
    @MaliceStryker Thanks for all the feedback! I would so appreciate it if you would let me know if you think I'm leaving the subtitles up for long enough. :) I've come a long way since that first video but I still have a lot to learn too so any other feedback you have after watching would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Kairi_Hitomi I did understand that VO meant voice overs, just didn't get the playlist bit. Let me make my question more clear. :)

What did you mean in this bit by VO playlist? What exactly are you planning on using since you aren't planning to use voice actors? Hopefully that makes more sense!

I also have been thinking about what you said regarding the speed of the subtitles. Looking back on mine, they may have been too fast. I've been planning the scene with my reading speed and I read pretty fast. I'm going to slow those down. Thanks for that advice.

Ah... What I meant by having VO and Subtitle playlist. I was planning to have a new series that would crater to both fan base. For example: I announced that my series will have voice overs that will go with the standalone subtitle version of the series. So let's say episode 1 was ready but my voice actors did not record their lines and send me their voice line scripts before the due date. Instead of depending on them, I could go ahead and release a stand alone subtitle of episode 1.

That way those that are impatient or just do not like voice overs, can gladly enjoy the episodes and upcoming series without voice overs. Once the voice actors/actresses had send me their script in, I would upload that same episode but this time it would be title with voice overs. So that way fans that prefer voice acting over subtitles can watch the series without the need of stopping the video.

It is seems like a lot of work if you want my honest opinion, but I think it would be a fun idea xD After both releases have enough episodes in them I would create a playlist for them on youtube. So people can click on either playlist and watch each version without having to search for the next episode or clicking the wrong version. I hope that's a bit more understanding :)

And no worry, I have to sadly do the same with my series as well when it comes to subtitles. They some lines are way too fast that I cannot even read them without pausing. :persevere:
    BHv51HO.gif
  • Options
    SodaGnomeSodaGnome Posts: 154 Member
    Voice is so much work to get right. Usually, there is such a big range in voice volume it take forever getting it all the same in the final edit. I run voice through compression, and even then, I have to go word by word and make sure the volume does not spike which it does sometimes. I think music driven videos tend to be the best, (with sub titles) but then music copyright is often an issue unless you make your own music.
  • Options
    CeeMiltonCeeMilton Posts: 94 Member
    For machinimas I like ones with just music, though with youtube and its copyright bs thats is like walking a minefield sometimes.
  • Options
    @SodaGnome Wow that sounds like an awful lot of work.

@CeeMilton Those talented enough to tell a story just through music and video are amazing. That new one with Sims 4 and Sims 2 Bella and Mortimer. AWEMAZING.

I always check my music in the YouTube creator content to make sure it's cool to use but I've heard some say that the copyright status can change. Gulp. Hope not.
  • Options
    Revile2nrRevile2nr Posts: 18 New Member
    maybe try doing voice overs with some vocal FX or maybe text to speech:) could be a lot of fun and end up being very entertaining! (hope to see a vid if you give it a try)
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I prefer machinimas that can tell the story with none, just music in the background. Reading the subtitles sometimes is distracting and also voice overs can ruin the mood.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Revile2nr wrote: »
    maybe try doing voice overs with some vocal FX or maybe text to speech:) could be a lot of fun and end up being very entertaining! (hope to see a vid if you give it a try)

@Revile2nr Vocal effects to make it sound a little more like simlish? That could be interesting.

@kaiwrysims Just music is the best.

I've decided to stick with subtitles and just do as few as possible. I've also lengthened the time that I leave the subtitles up in the last half of my latest video per the advice on this thread. Working on music videos is fun because you don't need either. I've only done one but have plans for a Nirvana one eventually, now that I've got a Kurt Cobain sim!