Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets Are NOT Playable!

Comments

• Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Personally I think these cats and dogs look better from a game play perspective as well as visuals. To a degree developers should be deciding for us what works best, since they're the ones that know everything about how the game works and how it would work with whatever alternative way they create pets. They're the ones that have to create a game that is fun to play, so if they decide the game play is better one way as opposed to another then that's their choice to make. People loved sims 2 pets which had uncontrollable pets and spent years asking for sims 4 pets to work more like that, bearing in mind most people wouldn't have used the cheat to control them. You can't blame the developers for listening to what people have been asking for, just because it wasn't what you were asking for.
  • Options
    MaliceStrykerMaliceStryker Posts: 35 Member
    The only Sims pets I've ever had were in TS2 where they couldn't be controlled, so for me this isn't an issue at all. I never got to play and control them in TS3 so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on, but I'm just happy that we get pets introduced into the new game, period. xD
    "I have no beef with you. I am... woefully beefless."

YouTube Channel
    (Sims videos start dropping once I get the PS4 version in November!)
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    I'm just happy to be getting pets at all...
    Gallery name: Anna-Banna
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Yes, they will look nice! I'm very excited for this pack.
    Oh yeah! Don't get me wrong, I'm still mostly excited for this pack, so much so that I've made a list of pets for all my main households lol. And you're right, at least the furry friends do certainly look stunning~

de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    I don't mind pets being uncontrollable at all. That was one of the reasons i didn't like sims 3 pets: they wouldn't do literally ANYTHING unless you played as them.
    I mean, in theory they could hide under objects, sleep on your bed, swim, probably do some other stuff i didn't know about... but they wouldn't do it unless i made them. They wouldn't hide under the sofa unless i clicked on it and chose the interaction. They wouldn't sleep on my bed unless i remembered that such a thing exists. All they did without my help was wander around, eat, sleep, rarely play with toys. Which was quite annoying.
    So yeah, i think i'll enjoy sims 4 kitties and pups being uncontrollable. A lot.
  • Options
    SiMsStoriesSiMsStories Posts: 219 Member
    Koteyka wrote: »
    I don't mind pets being uncontrollable at all. That was one of the reasons i didn't like sims 3 pets: they wouldn't do literally ANYTHING unless you played as them.
    I mean, in theory they could hide under objects, sleep on your bed, swim, probably do some other stuff i didn't know about... but they wouldn't do it unless i made them. They wouldn't hide under the sofa unless i clicked on it and chose the interaction. They wouldn't sleep on my bed unless i remembered that such a thing exists. All they did without my help was wander around, eat, sleep, rarely play with toys. Which was quite annoying.
    So yeah, i think i'll enjoy sims 4 kitties and pups being uncontrollable. A lot.

That is only if you have free will off. I had free will on for my pets in my game and they did whatever wanted to do without a care in the world. Not sure where all these people are getting the whole "My pets did nothing in my game" info from.
    BHv51HO.gif
    Alive - Episode 2: Friends |watch it on| Youtube | Forum | Twitter
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    @SiMsStories well... *sigh* guess thats just how my game worked. And i did have free will on.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

That is only if you have free will off. I had free will on for my pets in my game and they did whatever wanted to do without a care in the world. Not sure where all these people are getting the whole "My pets did nothing in my game" info from.

I’m not sure either. My sims 3 dog knocked over the trash cans, brought the paper in, chewed it up and went following my sim about before going to sleep in one of the double beds. After he went and dug up the neighbours garden.
    My sims 3 cat refused to use her litter tray as it was dirty so was going to the bathroom on the floor, hangs out in her cat gym, scratched the furniture and would come to my sims and mark them by rubbing against them. She’s also very vocal. I don’t initiate these behaviours. The game does it.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member

I’m not sure either. My sims 3 dog knocked over the trash cans, brought the paper in, chewed it up and went following my sim about before going to sleep in one of the double beds. After he went and dug up the neighbours garden.
    My sims 3 cat refused to use her litter tray as it was dirty so was going to the bathroom on the floor, hangs out in her cat gym, scratched the furniture and would come to my sims and mark them by rubbing against them. She’s also very vocal. I don’t initiate these behaviours. The game does it.

Perhaps so, but that's not a whole lot of stuff for your pets to do on their own. More like need-fulfilling than actually doing anything.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

Perhaps so, but that's not a whole lot of stuff for your pets to do on their own. More like need-fulfilling than actually doing anything.
    How is knocking over trash cans, brining in newspaper, digging holes etc need-fulfilling? I mean so far it doesn't look like TS4 will offer much more.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited October 2017

My pets socialize with each other. They bark, nuzzle, and dig holes. They wander off the lot and hunt on their own. They play in the tub, drink in the puddles? There is a lot stuff sims 3 pets did on their own. The AI was fine or great in my oppinion . Acourse some things were filling their needs others were for their own enjoyment.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited October 2017
    How many you guys play with free will on ? Or how many you lower it when playing with pets? Also, did you play pets on the desktop or older one that makes a difference as well? I just wondering.
  • Options

I disagree, pets nosing through the trash and yowling is not need fulfilling! If it was I would allow my real life pets to do it.

My pets also wander and go hunting. I don’t encourage that either.
  • Options
    How many you guys play with free will on ? Or how many you lower it when playing with pets? Also, did you play pets on the desktop or older one that makes a difference as well? I just wondering.

I play with free will on. I play the game on two different gaming rigs. Both desktops.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited October 2017

On certain computers with lower specs, the sims 3 the pets AI was borked and their ai wouldn't do much. This, like most things ts3, relied on people's computer and, like most things ts3, people with lower end machines would have issues with their game running.

Or at least that is my experience with these issues.
    I also had pets that would do a whole ton with out any sim interaction so, I was also confused about this thing about pets not doing anything.
  • Options
    Katie123Katie123 Posts: 925 Member
    I kind of find it annoying when they need controlling all the time
    maybe some new traits would help this such as independent ? or does that already exist lol
    tumblr_n25chlaSo01rrajoto1_500.gif

Katie123
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    Personally I think these cats and dogs look better from a game play perspective as well as visuals. To a degree developers should be deciding for us what works best, since they're the ones that know everything about how the game works and how it would work with whatever alternative way they create pets. They're the ones that have to create a game that is fun to play, so if they decide the game play is better one way as opposed to another then that's their choice to make. People loved sims 2 pets which had uncontrollable pets and spent years asking for sims 4 pets to work more like that, bearing in mind most people wouldn't have used the cheat to control them. You can't blame the developers for listening to what people have been asking for, just because it wasn't what you were asking for.

People asked on day one what was the cheat to control their pets in TS2. And after that I don't know anyone on the old BBS (veteran players) who didn't start using that cheat to control them. Point: There should always be a cheat to control any Sim in game or change things to suit the player. That is why The Sims have been successful, players have ruled their worlds and Sims until this version. n ETA: TS1 cheat...No Stray Pet Sign buyable in buy mode to keep away strays, even those developers understood annoyance and gave the players their very own cheat object.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited October 2017
    The only Sims pets I've ever had were in TS2 where they couldn't be controlled, so for me this isn't an issue at all. I never got to play and control them in TS3 so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on, but I'm just happy that we get pets introduced into the new game, period. xD
    Sims 2 pets could be controlled with a cheat, and it worked great. When I play Sims 2 pets I don't necessarily have the cheat active all the time, but it is very cute to play a kitten that do all kinds of stuff around the house, even go outside and play with the bugs. I'd like the option at least. I don't like being 'told' how I enjoy playing, it's condescending and rude. Sims has always been about micromanaging, and having options about what we micromanage and choosing to what amount one wants to micromanage. The AI/free will should be there for the times when you want to focus on a particular sim or a particular moment, but then you're back to controlling the story/situation/moment. EA telling us we're 'doing it wrong' if we want to control pets is not helping, and shows they don't really understand the game they're developing - or worse, they don't care.

Post edited by Aine on
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    SiMsStoriesSiMsStories Posts: 219 Member
    edited October 2017
    BeJaWa wrote: »

On certain computers with lower specs, the sims 3 the pets AI was borked and their ai wouldn't do much. This, like most things ts3, relied on people's computer and, like most things ts3, people with lower end machines would have issues with their game running.

I also had pets that would do a whole ton with out any sim interaction so, I was also confused about this thing about pets not doing anything.

Ah, I see then this is most likely & probably the real reason why a lot of players are against the whole "control" your pets this time around. :/
    BHv51HO.gif
    Alive - Episode 2: Friends |watch it on| Youtube | Forum | Twitter
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I actually played Pets over the weekend and one household had a dog and a cat. I forgot to buy a scratching post and the cat was getting the need to scratch moodlet. She was scratched up a different piece of furniture every day. The couch, the dining room chairs, the dresser you name it. I just decided to buy her a scratching post haha.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Ah, I see then this is most likely & probably the real reason why a lot of players are against the whole "control" your pets this time around. :/

I think it might be as well, but, oh well, I think at this point those of us who want to control our pets will have to rely on modders (not that I want to) :/

I think it was pointed out earlier how the actions/animation is already made it is all about adding a trigger. The sims 2 allowed this with a cheat and the ai wasn't messed up, in fact many claim they like the sims 2 more because of them not being controllable, but it did have it's cheat which added that trigger for us to use as players so it would have been a similar idea codewise.

I really hope there is some mod or cheat released at some point where I can take control of my pet.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

People asked on day one what was the cheat to control their pets in TS2. And after that I don't know anyone on the old BBS (veteran players) who didn't start using that cheat to control them. Point: There should always be a cheat to control any Sim in game or change things to suit the player. That is why The Sims have been successful, players have ruled their worlds and Sims until this version. n ETA: TS1 cheat...No Stray Pet Sign buyable in buy mode to keep away strays, even those developers understood annoyance and gave the players their very own cheat object.

Well that was not a true cheat for playing but a boolprop testing cheat - it was there for testing and debugging purposes for devs during development in Sims 2 - and I don't know anyone who used it very often because they thought it was silly to play the pet as a sim. Also it did have issues at times with the game when people did use it a lot and is known to corrupt saves.

Even in Sims 3 with playing the pet as a sim was an option - it was seldom used by most players according to the telemetry spyware that went back to EA all through the life of Sims 3. Most of us played the pets as pets since Sims 1.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

Well that was not a true cheat for playing but a boolprop testing cheat - it was there for testing and debugging purposes for devs during development in Sims 2 - and I don't know anyone who used it very often because they thought it was silly to play the pet as a sim. Also it did have issues at times with the game when people did use it a lot and is known to corrupt saves.

Even in Sims 3 with playing the pet as a sim was an option - it was seldom used by most players according to the telemetry spyware that went back to EA all through the life of Sims 3. Most of us played the pets as pets since Sims 1.

So many people disregard the possibility that the way TS4 pets are now is actually a result of feedback.

I do believe it is. And I remember what people used to say on forums back when Pets for 3 came out. Control of pets is just another one of those highly glorified features people tend to over idealize due to nostalgia.
  • Options
    Eduardx123Eduardx123 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I like them to be autonomous,but that we can upgrade their skills and evolve them with traits!
  • Options
    ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
    It's lazy programming. You'd think Grant would understand the customer base better by now. Special? How about less special.