Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trying the sims 3 again...

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Ooh, that looks like a gorgeous lil house. With lovely outside stairs ;)

I love MV. I just made a family to play in that world, hope to start the game tomorrow.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Ooh, that looks like a gorgeous lil house. With lovely outside stairs ;)

I love MV. I just made a family to play in that world, hope to start the game tomorrow.
    Thanks :blush: One day I'll return there, love the world as well. Would have played there longer than I did but then IP was released and I was forced to move there. Have fun there, you certainly will!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Huh, all these years I've let my outdoor staircases, few though they are, remain open. Gotta love that builder didn't care, cheap motel look. I usually just shrugged and added a soda and (deco) ice machine, emergency exit, and This Way to the Lobby signs -- if the game wants my sims' homes to look like a Sleep Six (or insert your favorite chain of cheap places to stay here), then who am I to argue with it.

Now suddenly I know better. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    There's a house in Champs les Sims with stairs like this outside, then I knew it had to be possible somehow :) So I came up with this let's turn the outside into the inside solution. For small stairs I often use the shrubbery solution by the way :#
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    I agree with @igazor that sims 4 fans stating wrong facts about sims 3 to defend sims 4 is very annoying especially because they can misinform people who never played sims 3 that way and keep them away from a game they might have enjoyed a lot. Some people also dont know the difference between an opinion and stating a wrong fact so when you point out to them that what they said simply isnt true they go like 'well it's my opinion that water boils at 150 degrees celcius instead of a 100 so you cant do anything about that im free to have my opinion'. Just arghhh really. But that's the current Facebook generation for you. They are used to consuming fake news and lies even from presidents so they'll consume any fake information and consider it the truth whenever it suits them and deny any facts and stamp them as fake if the facts aren't convenient. As someone who studied journalism this can be simply heartbreaking to watch. I do appreciate the sims 3 forum is mostly free of these kind of people unless their topic gets moved here indeed.

@JoAnne65 that house is beautiful! You make me realize i need to watch more building videos on youtube because my own houses always lack this kind of creativity haha.
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    I only bite Sim4 fundamentalists...
    (Simpyre-pun intended...)
    I will go through torture and pestilence to have my Sim3 running. Oh, wait I just did. I had over two months of purgatory just finished. New computer, rescued savegame with all its belongings. I can now rest. Oh, wait. Now the work of creating stories begin. No rest for the wicked.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    @Namara89 Thank you! I always google before building :blush: (and then combine what I find)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    I found this let's play on youtube of a simmer who was returning to the sims 3 after playing sims 4 for a long time. I think it nicely illustrates how much Sims 3 has to offer in comparison to Sims 4. The girl really sums it all up pretty well (without realizing it). I felt like this video fit in this topic so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91s6EgOBo-A
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @Namaya92 - (surprised look) But water can be made to not reach a boil until 150 deg C. Therefore, the rest of your post is a cake.

Uhm, I mean a lie. I must be hungry. And obviously I'm just babbling, but given a choice between a journalism course and a science one, guess which I would have chosen? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited August 2017
    @igazor
    igazor wrote: »
    the second issue is probably also mod related, i had lately crazy spawning of butlers, it was NRaas mod related in my case, it had to do with the limitation set for the number of butlers allowed in town, it's a known bug with that mod, one has to work around
    I'm going to assume it's NRaas Register you are talking about here, but this isn't a bug I am familiar with. I wonder if it's already been addressed by a more recent version?

i am not sure if it was register, maybe it was MC
    the last time it happened register was on V80, since then i went back to V72 from 2013 & i'm playing atm a different town & trying to avoid that problem
    MC is on the latest V132 & was already as it happened

@JoAnne65
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yes, but it is a crutch we shouldn't have to use. :p
    If every issue in either Sims 3 and 4 were that simple I'd be a happy camper ;) I'm more bothered by the complex ways in Sims 3 to attach a wall to a foundation (even when I know the cheat).

ETA: and besides, at least it is possible to achieve what you want. Sims 4 build mode is full of limitations not even mods can solve. And as for crutches: compare removing a single floor tile in Sims 3 and Sims 4. In 4 first you have to build walls around it before you can do that.
    does this really function ? cause last time i tried it it was removed only as long the wall was there, wall removed filled also the hole

TS3 build mode drives me most of the time crazy but there are many things possible to make, with a cheat or a workaround or both like eg a week ago i've built a basement under a foundation & i even managed no to curse while i've built it, so yay :joy:
    TS4 build mode is easier to use, it has some good features but it's extremely limited at times & the automatism introduced disables many things completely because to achieve some things there is no workaround, no cheat & no mod & probably never be
    in TS4 the player is dependend on what the devs think right & allow
    TS3 bugs easier but makes up for it by allowing a vast freedom & that's why i play it still while TS4 sits on my HD unused waiting for some substantial change or improvement, the news about the unplayable pets don't sound promissing

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @igazor
    the second issue is probably also mod related, i had lately crazy spawning of butlers, it was NRaas mod related in my case, it had to do with the limitation set for the number of butlers allowed in town, it's a known bug with that mod, one has to work around
    I'm going to assume it's NRaas Register you are talking about here, but this isn't a bug I am familiar with. I wonder if it's already been addressed by a more recent version?

the last time it happened register was on V80, since then i went back to V72 from 2013 & i'm playing atm a different town & trying to avoid that problem
    MC wouldn't have anything to do with service sim over-spawnage. But MC's current version is v133 and Register's is v81. The issue does sound similar to one (it may be the same one) that v81 fixed. When you get a chance, you might want to try updating your mods to current versions and see how that goes. Note that the newer version of Register requires Traveler also be updated to v87, if you use Traveler.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @igazor

@JoAnne65
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yes, but it is a crutch we shouldn't have to use. :p
    If every issue in either Sims 3 and 4 were that simple I'd be a happy camper ;) I'm more bothered by the complex ways in Sims 3 to attach a wall to a foundation (even when I know the cheat).

ETA: and besides, at least it is possible to achieve what you want. Sims 4 build mode is full of limitations not even mods can solve. And as for crutches: compare removing a single floor tile in Sims 3 and Sims 4. In 4 first you have to build walls around it before you can do that.
    does this really function ? cause last time i tried it it was removed only as long the wall was there, wall removed filled also the hole

TS3 build mode drives me most of the time crazy but there are many things possible to make, with a cheat or a workaround or both like eg a week ago i've built a basement under a foundation & i even managed no to curse while i've built it, so yay :joy:
    TS4 build mode is easier to use, it has some good features but it's extremely limited at times & the automatism introduced disables many things completely because to achieve some things there is no workaround, no cheat & no mod & probably never be
    in TS4 the player is dependend on what the devs think right & allow
    TS3 bugs easier but makes up for it by allowing a vast freedom & that's why i play it still while TS4 sits on my HD unused waiting for some substantial change or improvement, the news about the unplayable pets don't sound promissing

Oh, that's bad... I read about this issue (not being able to remove just 1 or some tiles) and its solution, I never tried it myself though because the only house I ever built in 4 didn't have any floors so I didn't need it. I don't like to build in the game, I rather download through the gallery what others made ;)

Sims 3's build mode has its 'challenges', but when you get more experienced I must say I'm completely fine with it. I remember in the beginning ending up with a house that would be too much to the left or the right, or with a kitchen with a view instead of a living room :D But when you build a lot (and I have over the years) you learn what the traps are, can't say that happens to me anymore. I plan more in advance before starting and I actually like that. In real life you better make sure to have a good plan before you start to build as well :p Things demanding a little bit of effort aren't necessary a bad thing for me. It's limitations and no goes that frustrate me. Which doesn't mean I wouldn't like some of Sims 4's tools, they're great.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited August 2017
    I did Zoo U tute on building a few years ago. They said to mark out where the rooms are to go on the ground using free wooden floor tiles. Use different coloured tiles for adjoining rooms. When you have it how you want it you can start adding walls or foundations.

A thing I often do is to draw a cross on the lot by using free wood files. The lines of the cross meet onnthe center of the lot. I usually have the cross two tiles wide as the lots tend to have even numbered tile count.
  • Options
    ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    When I want to create and design I play ts3, I like to build farms and raise farm pets, but when I just want to jump in and play I play ts4.
  • Options
    EmoFlowersEmoFlowers Posts: 325 Member
    @EmoFlowers
    EmoFlowers wrote: »
    I miss Sims 3 like crazy, to be honest. I had to stop playing it a few years before Sims 4 came out because I was dealing with so many glitches. For instance, after I put the game on my Windows 8 computer, every book in the world was apparently burned. I couldn't even go to the bookstore to buy anything, it was always empty. When a sims boss would give them a book to read I'd get the notification that I threw the book away as soon as I accepted it, lol.
    I also had Showtime! but when I transferred to my Win8 it would spawn 30+ proprietor at every ST venue so it was incredibly laggy. I'd have to use nRAAS to get them to reset, and my sim never actually got to perform her gig, lol. But I miss WA somethin' fierce. I wouldn't mind going back to it if only it stopped crashing. xD
    those two problems you describe have nothing to do with your windows version
    the first is an outdated mod not compatible with the newer version of your game's patch, probably one of the mods changing the way books are used in game, i had the same issue several times & it's always a mod, you just have to be more patient with the game, detect & remove the mod in question

I don't have any mods for books specifically, but I did have a lot of mods that probably tweaked books without my realizing. I didn't really read what pieces of information were changed when I downloaded mods all that time ago - so you're probably right! I am questioning which of my mods could cause the proprietors, but I actually do think I might've downloaded a mod that made venues more packed with townies since I felt have 4 sims cheering on my sims felt a little bland. It's something I remember looking at but I can't recall if I actually installed it.
    The reason I brought up my windows version was because I had simply transferred the Mods/Library/Saves files over to my new computer - however (and I guess I can't tell now) I'm now not 100% certain that it was the same Sims version as the one on my previous computer. The game could've updated since I installed it fresh when I hadn't yet patched the game on my old computer - thus causing the irregularities. I used to hold off on patching my game until nraas had updated his mastercontroller mod.
    When I get a moment I'll remove all mods (my sims are gonna look quite ugly all of a sudden) and see if that at least fixes my book issue. If it does I'll reinstall Showtime and if it fixes it then, I'll have Sims 3 back! :D I don't want to get my hopes too far up in case my computer explodes - the poor thing can hardly run Sims 4 now.

But thank you! I hadn't thought about the fact that my games were probably two different versions, and that could be why my mods were freaking out.
    !! Mermaids !!

RIP Princess (July 4, 2001 - January 11, 2016)
    RIP Misha (May 1, 2011 - July 2, 2016)
  • Options
    polrbearpolrbear Posts: 939 Member
    My brother plays the Sims 4 a lot lately. I've watched him play and it looks okay, but to me, the Sims3 with expansions is spectacular.
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I like features from both games. Sims 4 is my favorite game.It just suits my "style" more. But when I need more freedom with customization Sims 3 is a nice option too. It's good that all of us "Simmers" can pick the game we want to play :)