Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something I really dislike

123457...Next

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited September 2017
    [Edited: Removed by mod]

People have claimed that just because a programmer used the word "Olympus" in the code a very few times as a label it "proves" that everything Patrick Kelley told and assumed was true. But "Olympus" isn't a rare word at all. Originally it was the name of the mountain where the Greek gods lived. But now there are hundreds of places that has "Olympus" in their name.

In games "Olympus" is also used very often. Mainly when it is about places for heroes or magic. But you don't think that EA ever would put such things into TS4? ;)

Also programmers have to invent names for a lot of things and a lot of programmers have always loved to use "magical" mythological names. So they can use such names for almost everything. Therefore you need to find real code for a multiplayer part in the Sims 4 code if you want to "prove" your wild fantasies. Otherwise you have only "proved" that one of EA's programmer used the name of the place for Greek gods or maybe a part of the name of Mount Olympus in California, the Olympus highschool in Utah or Mount Olympus in San Francisco when he needed a name for something "magical" in the game - just like so very many other programmers and game designers have done for other games.

There are several other games who even have the word "Olympus" it the name of the game and hundreds of other games where you can find a magical place or hero named "Olympus". So what does it really mean that a non programmer like you can "prove" that a modder who only understand a tiny part of the game code also can find the word "Olympus" in TS4's game code? That you need to study game programming much more before you can have the tiniest idea about the way programmers and game designers think? ;)

And about my programming skills: No I am not at all bragging about them ecause I am not an immature young "teen" like you who needs to brag. I am too old to need to impress anybody and I sure know that I couldn't start working as a programmer again now because I know way too little about the newer versions of the programming languages and modern programming tools to do that. But the fundamentals about programming and program design never change. You just have to study programming and experience how a big program is designed before you can even know that - and you clearly have never even tried such things yourself.

So you can go on and on in your huge admiration of the young teens who now have started as new modders and done their very first experiences and think that it is a huge sensation that they have found the word "Olympus" in 3-5 lines of code. I really don't care ;)
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2017
    That is where they made their mistake. Enough said.

Now, to get back on topic, I totally agree with the frustrtion the OP speaks of.

• BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    There is so much gaslighting in this thread that the fire department is on standby. Speaking of, I really wish they would bring back the firefighters in the game. And burglars.... And the ability to control my Sims. I would like to divorce the AI. We're not getting along, we both have different opinions on how our Sims are to be raised. I don't think my Sims respect me anymore because the AI undermines me in front of them. Every time I tell them to do something, they just do something else, and randomly shout forbidden words. I don't know if this is my Sims being rebellious because their AI an I are fighting, or if they're developing a severe disorder. I would take them to the Sim Psychiatrist but the service wasn't patched in. So I made an insane asylum and put them in there with stuffed animals for them to beat up and take their frustrations out on. This must be a pandemic because a lot of Simmers downloaded this asylum. It's so sad having to put our Sims in there....I understand the hardship. But just understand that you all are amazing Simmers and it's not your fault, we do our best but sometimes the system works against us....great their AI just texted me and said resistance is futile.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Baenre wrote: »
    There is so much gaslighting in this thread that the fire department is on standby. Speaking of, I really wish they would bring back the firefighters in the game. And burglars.... And the ability to control my Sims. I would like to divorce the AI. We're not getting along, we both have different opinions on how our Sims are to be raised. I don't think my Sims respect me anymore because the AI undermines me in front of them. Every time I tell them to do something, they just do something else, and randomly shout forbidden words. I don't know if this is my Sims being rebellious because their AI an I are fighting, or if they're developing a severe disorder. I would take them to the Sim Psychiatrist but the service wasn't patched in. So I made an insane asylum and put them in there with stuffed animals for them to beat up and take their frustrations out on. This must be a pandemic because a lot of Simmers downloaded this asylum. It's so sad having to put our Sims in there....I understand the hardship. But just understand that you all are amazing Simmers and it's not your fault, we do our best but sometimes the system works against us....great their AI just texted me and said resistance is futile.
    As mentioned I don't think at all that targeting TS4 mainly at about 13 yrs old girls was a mistake at all because the high sales numbers still prove that they are far the biggest group of customers.

But even so I think that EA should be more careful not to underestimate and insult them by assuming that they only want a super-easy game where they even don't need to tell the sims what to do. EA's strategy about the basegame being simple is probably mainly correct and postponing more advanced stuff for the expansions is likely correct too. But oversimplifying everything even in the expansions is a dangerous strategy which could cause the sales numbers to go down. Even young teen girls become bored when they aren't challenged and mostly only can watch the sims to do things on their own. So EA should probably be more careful not to underestimate such young girls.
    They try to tell you that you rule in this game, but you really don't. Sad really, as this used to be a god game and you did rule. Now, you are lucky if they listen to you at all.
    Here is a video that shows the roots of the game from the man himself. It attracted all ages. Not just teens. And as you can see it was about us and how we controlled the game. Not how the game controls us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXtI9Db_xyY
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    Here is a video that shows the roots of the game from the man himself. It attracted all ages. Not just teens. And as you can see it was about us and how we controlled the game. Not how the game controls us.

Yeah, and it was said 1:40
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • CrueltivityCrueltivity Posts: 161 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »

Ugh. What happened? Is anyone of the original team in The Sims 4? It feels like it was made with good intentions but by people who didn't get what the game was about.

• EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi Simmers,

I removed a number of posts from this thread and will be closing this thread as a result. The reason for this is that the thread has veered off into a conversation around sexism which is not an appropriate topic to discuss on the forum. Please be aware that this can result in sanctioning. See below:
    Don’ts that can get you banned right away
    These are more serious don’ts. That means if you do something from this list, we might ban you right away.

Flame bait. That means no:
    Obscenity
    Sexism
    Racism
    Politics, religion, or lobbyism
    Threatening to start a law suit against EA
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top