Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something I really dislike

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited August 2017
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Romzarah

I have no idea if sims games were created with modding in mind however there are a lot of players out there who have no clue how to use mods or even want to which I can quite understand and despite mods enhancing many players games (myself included) that should not be an excuse for a game company to sell a product that basically requires mods to fix problem's they themselves are ignoring..

@Erpe

Loved this statement " you will find a lot of games and game mods but not the Sims games and any mods for them. The reason obviously is that most modders prefer hardcore games and frown on the Sims games which they see as too childish to even care about" :)
    Just remember that this attitude isn't mine but the attitude that is the common one among hardcore gamers who are playing games like Skyrim, Halflife and similar games. I was once a little like them with my former taste in games. But not anymore. I prefer more peaceful management games now instead of such violent games :)

Now I feel all violent and brutal for playing skyrim, fallout, fable, DDO, Heros of might and magic ... Most of my games... hmm I am realizing how many combat games I play. At least I have rimworld and Sims to mellow me out I guess maybe also crusader kings and stellaris I mean it's still possible to be war fairing but there's more tactics in them.
    I didn't play Skyrim but its predecessor Oblivion I played a lot. I also played Heroes of Might and Magic I and II a lot. But not the newer versions. But even though they are much more challenging than the Sims games and also have a little violence they are nothing compared to Doom and the Half-Life games which are games that I many years ago only attempted to play a little but with no success. They are just not a type of game for me at all.
    I don't know the group of people I play with is mostly story tellers and role players I have never had any of them look down on the Sims. (Well Sims 4 maybe but not the concept of the Sims series) not all of them play but there has never been this scorn of it a girl game in the group (there's only two of us girls so maybe they just refuse to say it in front of us but I know at least two guys play it ) and my group is a bunch of relatively hard core gamers.
    Actually anyone who I tell I play the Sims always ask first if I'm sadistic and kill them off and otherwise vent my anger at the world through it. :/ I always thought people viewed simmers as a little twisted because of it.
    All in all I don't know everyone in the world or anyone at ea so all I can say is my personal experience is very different from yours.
    The question about if you like to kill your sims just shows that they never would play a Sims game for any other reason.and even for that reason likely only for a few minutes. Most likely they haven't even tried it themselves but just heard of big brothers who did it when they should try their younger sister's game :)

But you would find even more hardcore gamers among sports gamers and some of those games still have as few as only 2% girls among their fans while even 98% are boys and young male adults. Most sports games have a little more females among their fans though. Just still usually not more than about 10-15%. So it would actually be much more unusual to find a sports gamer in this forum than to find a fan of games like Skyrim or Heroes of Might and Magic.

HoMM was btw a sidegame to the Might&Magic series where Might&Magic VI was my favorite game which I played a lot.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @BeJaWa

lol I don't see anyone as being brutal or violent for playing shooter, combat or violence style games heck I don't even blame sims players for killing their sims off in various ways it just does nothing for me personally. I bought an Xbox one trying to get away from the many problems with sims games I experienced hoping I would fall in love with other games but sadly it did not work for me and proved an expensive mistake :) I honestly wish I could play a variety of games like you and get some enjoyment because at some level it's better than being addicted to one :)

As for the guys you can bet they may have said something about your sim playing habits when you are not around and if you play in physical close proximity to one another just ask them that question one time when you are leaving the room and leave a recording flash-drive behind to hear what what they actually say about it when they think you are gone :) Now that should prove very interesting-)
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Romzarah wrote: »

The Sims games were designed to be modded from the start. Sims 1 was a new way for game players to play games. If you ask me, this idea was the best one any software company has ever had.. I started modding games before sims was dreamed up, and I jumped at the chance to own a game I could customize to my liking. I hope EA keeps making games that are designed this way long after the Sims are forgotten..

I think there is a huge difference between a game being mod-friendly and a game needing mods just to play it.

I enjoy mods, but the latter is unacceptable. When it comes to having to use them to fix a game and make it playable, I'm out. It is clearly lazy programming and a poor product when it comes to that.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    @BeJaWa

lol I don't see anyone as being brutal or violent for playing shooter, combat or violence style games heck I don't even blame sims players for killing their sims off in various ways it just does nothing for me personally. I bought an Xbox one trying to get away from the many problems with sims games I experienced hoping I would fall in love with other games but sadly it did not work for me and proved an expensive mistake :) I honestly wish I could play a variety of games like you and get some enjoyment because at some level it's better than being addicted to one :)
    I think that many in frustration could go home and kill some sims while imaging that it was some people who have annoyed them in their real lives that they killed. But if they can get rid of some aggressions that way then what? ;)

[quite]As for the guys you can bet they may have said something about your sim playing habits when you are not around and if you play in physical close proximity to one another just ask them that question one time when you are leaving the room and leave a recording flash-drive behind to hear what what they actually say about it when they think you are gone :) Now that should prove very interesting-)[/quote]
    I don't really think so because those guys know that a lot of girls play Sims games and it usually isn't something that they care about at all. So they just see it as natural and something that shows one of the differences between boys and girls :)
    @Erpe

Of course re the going home after a brutal day/month/year/years lol and being able to take it out on pixels instead of anything else I understand and it is probably considered a very healthy way to vent anger that's why I wished I loved combat and first shooter games :) Apologies if you thought the recording flash drive may have been a little over the top consider it work humor on my part :)
    @Erpe

Of course re the going home after a brutal day/month/year/years lol and being able to take it out on pixels instead of anything else I understand and it is probably considered a very healthy way to vent anger that's why I wished I loved combat and first shooter games :) Apologies if you thought the recording flash drive may have been a little over the top consider it work humor on my part :)
    You don't need to apologize:)

I don't think that combat and first shooter games are similar at all because the fighting in those games is more like the fighting in sports games. So it is more like a competition where they enjoy to win just like people do in a tennis match and similar sports. You can kill your enemies in such games - or they will kill you instead.

But killing sims by starving them to death or something has of course nothing with competition to do at all. So it is much more about the same kind of vengeance that you would enjoy if you could punish some real life person who you thought would deserve it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Question for Electronic Arts.. Do you want your players to quit playing sims? Poor AI leads to frustration, frustration leads to anger.. You know it's time to stop playing when you are tempted to delete your beloved sims for wasting your time..

But then I would have an empty city...

I already quit.....and i play the sims since the sims 1, but now its beyond frustration, they don't really care about players anymore, it was given to us an overdose of stuff packs, they want more money with less content and work, not for me. I like to spend my money in good games, and with companies who likes to do awesome games to people to enjoy. The sims 4 don't have the factor surprise, like some unexpect to happen, like burglars, something we are not expecting and become a game changing for us. And come on that bowling system, the sims don't talk to each other or seat or anything, sometimes i felt that my sim was playing with a bunch of corpses.

There is a mod that adds social to bowling.. Also one that gives you a choice of 3 or 5 round bowling as well as the normal bowling.. Mods make the game more playable, but there is many unmodded problems to drive you mad..

That's a big problem when you need mods to improve a gameplay that the game itself should have, i only like to download CAS CC

The Sims games were designed to be modded from the start. Sims 1 was a new way for game players to play games. If you ask me, this idea was the best one any software company has ever had.. I started modding games before sims was dreamed up, and I jumped at the chance to own a game I could customize to my liking. I hope EA keeps making games that are designed this way long after the Sims are forgotten..
    Not Sims 3, that game doesn't even have a Mods folder, you have to create one. Mods are great for a game, but it's silly when mods become necessary to run the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @Erpe

I know sometimes my version of humor can be a little over the top lol and yes I can quite understand the appeal of naming sims to replicate the people in RL that have caused pain and problems before killing them off however as I have never had a problem telling people exactly what I think of them I have never felt the need to pretend hahha
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I think there is a huge difference between a game being mod-friendly and a game needing mods just to play it.

I enjoy mods, but the latter is unacceptable. When it comes to having to use them to fix a game and make it playable, I'm out. It is clearly lazy programming and a poor product when it comes to that.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't mind mods if it's to add a fun twist to a game or some content to personalize it, but if the game itself becomes reliant on outside 3rd party modding to be functional, it's a problem for me.
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I wouldn't call it lazy programming because the programmers likely work overtime just to be able to finish the game before its deadline. Instead I would call it a game company who doesn't allow enough time for testing and bug fixing a game before its release.

I agree this is a pity. But its cause is that the game companies don't get paid for extra testing and bug fixes. So I don't think there is much that we can do about it.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    @Romzarah

I have no idea if sims games were created with modding in mind however there are a lot of players out there who have no clue how to use mods or even want to which I can quite understand and despite mods enhancing many players games (myself included) that should not be an excuse for a game company to sell a product that basically requires mods to fix problem's they themselves are ignoring..

@Erpe

Loved this statement " you will find a lot of games and game mods but not the Sims games and any mods for them. The reason obviously is that most modders prefer hardcore games and frown on the Sims games which they see as too childish to even care about" :)
    Just remember that this attitude isn't mine but the attitude that is the common one among hardcore gamers who are playing games like Skyrim, Halflife and similar games. I was once a little like them with my former taste in games. But not anymore. I prefer more peaceful management games now instead of such violent games :)

Now I feel all violent and brutal for playing skyrim, fallout, fable, DDO, Heros of might and magic ... Most of my games... hmm I am realizing how many combat games I play. At least I have rimworld and Sims to mellow me out I guess maybe also crusader kings and stellaris I mean it's still possible to be war fairing but there's more tactics in them.
    I didn't play Skyrim but its predecessor Oblivion I played a lot. I also played Heroes of Might and Magic I and II a lot. But not the newer versions. But even though they are much more challenging than the Sims games and also have a little violence they are nothing compared to Doom and the Half-Life games which are games that I many years ago only attempted to play a little but with no success. They are just not a type of game for me at all.
    I don't know the group of people I play with is mostly story tellers and role players I have never had any of them look down on the Sims. (Well Sims 4 maybe but not the concept of the Sims series) not all of them play but there has never been this scorn of it a girl game in the group (there's only two of us girls so maybe they just refuse to say it in front of us but I know at least two guys play it ) and my group is a bunch of relatively hard core gamers.
    Actually anyone who I tell I play the Sims always ask first if I'm sadistic and kill them off and otherwise vent my anger at the world through it. :/ I always thought people viewed simmers as a little twisted because of it.
    All in all I don't know everyone in the world or anyone at ea so all I can say is my personal experience is very different from yours.
    The question about if you like to kill your sims just shows that they never would play a Sims game for any other reason.and even for that reason likely only for a few minutes. Most likely they haven't even tried it themselves but just heard of big brothers who did it when they should try their younger sister's game :)

But you would find even more hardcore gamers among sports gamers and some of those games still have as few as only 2% girls among their fans while even 98% are boys and young male adults. Most sports games have a little more females among their fans though. Just still usually not more than about 10-15%. So it would actually be much more unusual to find a sports gamer in this forum than to find a fan of games like Skyrim or Heroes of Might and Magic.

HoMM was btw a sidegame to the Might&Magic series where Might&Magic VI was my favorite game which I played a lot.

Not the guys I play with asking the question if I kill sims off. other friends/family/colleagues.
    Of the two guys that play one is cousin (present roommate) and I know for a fact he legit plays. The other one I suspect he does play it based on comments but I've never actually seen him play.
    I don't like sports games at all so I wouldn't fit that category of gamer. Never got them myself I would much rather play the sport. Of the girls I know if they play games at all they play first person shooters largely call of duty is the answer.
    Like I said personal experience is vastly different from yours.
    I know about the might&magic series never have gotten the chance to play it myself.
    @BeJaWa

As for the guys you can bet they may have said something about your sim playing habits when you are not around and if you play in physical close proximity to one another just ask them that question one time when you are leaving the room and leave a recording flash-drive behind to hear what what they actually say about it when they think you are gone :) Now that should prove very interesting-)

I have the luck of being raised by a Dad that was into a lot of different games so I got to try a lot of things out without wasting to much money. Also helped foster my love of games having grown up playing games with him. I remember when I was really little I would sit on his lap at the computer while he played. :) Dads the one who introduced me to Sims and Crusader Kings actually (he always used crusader kings to teach me about history).
    Anyways maybe you have a friend or something who has games you could try. I think it helps when you can play with someone and share the experience with and it's much lighter on the wallet. :)

As for the guys, Sims isn't really mentioned a lot when we are together. We run a game group to keep a bunch of us from high school in touch now that we are all in different post secondary schools. We do a lot of board games and we have a D&D campaign we do every seconed week so we aren't usually playing video games or talking about video games. I just know from high school and other conversations we play a lot of games outside of get togethers. We used to do more gaming together don't have as much time anymore. Only one I play games with is my cousin and if he were to say Sims was a girl game I would have to tease him for playing it. :smirk: maybe I still should since most of the world thinks it is.
    @BeJaWa

wow that must have been fun growing up with a dad that liked games and being able to play them together I would have considered that quite awesome if that had been my dad-) and he even managed to get in some history lessons for you too :)

Have fun with all your friends gaming or otherwise for as long as humanly possible because all too soon life starts getting in the way of all that fun :)
    @Romzarah

@Erpe

Not the guys I play with asking the question if I kill sims off. other friends/family/colleagues.
    Of the two guys that play one is cousin (present roommate) and I know for a fact he legit plays. The other one I suspect he does play it based on comments but I've never actually seen him play.
    I don't like sports games at all so I wouldn't fit that category of gamer. Never got them myself I would much rather play the sport.
    I have tried them years ago and there are two types of sports games:
    1. Simulations where you actively play the game yourself either against a computer controlled opponent or against a real opponent. I tried such games on my PC even though they probably are more suited for consoles. But my problem with them is that I can only play them for a few minutes and then not even every day. So they aren't worth my money.
    2. Sports management games where you are the manager of a sports club. You then buy equipment, trainers and players for your team and you also sell players. Those games interested me a lot more because they seemed to be about management and strategy. But they weren't really because the results of the games were too random. In the oldest of those games your team always won though. But they soon changed that. The newest games of that type that I tried were more about watching the players play the games. But I don't even have enough patience to watch real sports games on TV. So why would I want to watch computer characters play matches? ;) Now the games come in new versions every year such that the players and leagues in the game can have the same names as in the real tournament. But why would I care? ;)
    Of the girls I know if they play games at all they play first person shooters largely call of duty is the answer.
    Like I said personal experience is vastly different from yours.
    Maybe. I have tried almost all types of games. But I haven't played PC games for a couple of years. I think I have both Skyrim and Starcraft 2. I just never got started playing them.
    I know about the might&magic series never have gotten the chance to play it myself.
    I started with M&M 6 and later I also played M&M 7 and 8. M&M 9 was a disaster where they changed the whole game engine such that it felt like another game series that I didn't even like. A lot of other fans saw it in the same way and were hugely disappointed. Later came M&M 10 which again became a different type of game. But I never played it.

I have also tried later to play the first 5 games in the M&M series. But they were way too old and primitive for me. So for me (and many others too) the M&M series topped with M&M 6. M&M 7 was nearly as good though. M&M 8 had better and more detailed graphics but the price was way too high because it meant that you only could have one character in your "team" and not 4-6 characters like you could in the previous games.

M&M 6-8 were better games than HoMM 1 and 2 where things happened more randomly. HoMM 3 and 4 I didn't really like at all. So I stopped playing HoMM games.

• ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    So far the only thing that bothers me is when I tell them to do something with the kids they will just stand there, and this even happens when I want them to cook or do something, it usually takes them a few seconds or so to even do what I say and when you have kids and you're not trying to cheat to fill needs it makes it so HARD.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    astera00 wrote: »
    @IceyJ Haha, yeah I do, but it isn't practical when two sims share a room.

@astera00 I just discovered that it's possible without mods to allow 2 or more sims in a locked door. Lock the door for everyone except your first sim. Then make the second sim active and choose "Also allow" for the second sim. It really works. Why am I just now figuring this out???
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    @IceyJ Thank you! This is very helpful. It will solve some of the problems. I get you about figuring out new things. Sometimes the tiniest things slip our notice and are sooooo helpful when we finally realize we can do something about it. Then again, that's what being on here is helpful for.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I hate when the AI refuses to do as told. The main sim in my house hold is the bread winner since she is a scientist. I direct her to program and the action gets disabled for a glass of water out of the sink. What the heck? >>;
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    agustd wrote: »
    glowsims wrote: »
    I like the fact that you can have a nice conversation over dinner, but sometimes these multitasking features do become extremely annoying.

As buggy as multitasking is I kind of can't imagine not having it in future games now :|
    I do, I so very much do. If they can't get this multitasking right (meaning not an insane focus but just on the side, just like multitasking in real life, you aren't even aware you're having breakfast while scrolling through the forums, you just do) then I prefer sims doing stuff one by one. It's one of the things I not only don't miss when playing Sims 2 or 3, I sometimes stop for two seconds to bless it, aware of the out of control mess it brings me in Sims 4. It makes playing the game and giving your sims orders so much clearer.
    I think multitasking is a solid concept, it just needs some work. Personally, I think its primary problem is the degree to which it slows things down in sim minutes, when they go by so fast in the first place. If the game played out in real-time, I think that would solve most of the problem right off. Not that the game should play out in real-time, but the point is, I think time is the really key thing here.

I mean, I think of scenarios like sitting down and eating a meal together, chatting while doing it. TS4 has the functionality in place, in theory, that this could be an experience that seems pretty true to life. Sims eating and talking in multitasking and, true to real life, that slows down the meal. The problem is, time moves so quickly and needs decay so fast that as a player, it might be difficult in this scenario to sort of sit back and immerse yourself in how beat-by-beat realistic the experience could be. By the time you're thinking how cool it is that it's like real life, one has already left to go pee, another is in need of fun, another has finished their meal before the others and left, etc.

I hesitate to imply the game should move slowly because there's risk on that end, too, in the form of the player getting bored out of their mind and running out of things to do. But I do think the speed of the game is more snugly fit to solo action than it is to multitasking. So when sims multitask, it throws things off a bit. And then little slivers of timing being off can build over time, creating a sense of urgency that feels jarring and disrupts immersion.

But I don't know how you'd design to account for that dynamically. Too much meddling with timing could trivialize the strategic challenge of managing the needs of multiple sims and the like.

One way to approach the problem in a sideways manner might be to create interactions similar to the "game" ones that are centered around a specific set of actions happening and end when the "win" state is achieved. In other words, interactions that (for the most part) lock sims into doing something for a while, but with the addition of potential for multitasking within it. So, like, an interaction where multiple sims eat at a table together; you can end it any time, but once the sims are locked in, they'll do it for a while together, unless you end it prematurely. This doesn't really address the timing issue, but it's possibly a way to get at the problem of multitasking, with regards to sims being out of sync with the flow of each other's actions and needs.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    To me the problem with the multitasking is that it is autonomous and without our control. I know that its purpose just is to impress the main target group in the advertising for the game and to make the young teens curious. But real multitasking could actually be something that I would like if it just gave us the option to order our sims to do two things at the same time. Like you tell them to sit down and eat and then to also chat with another sim at the same time.

But I doubt that EA would do this because it would hard to use in the advertising and likely not worth it in a simple game targeted mainly at young teen girls. Therefore I instead expect the multitasking to be completely gone in TS5 because EA can't use it in the advertising for that game too anyway.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Triplis But they don't really multitask. They can do two actions in turns without me having to say so and that's the multitasking. Like, my sim was busy mixing drinks and I ordered her to dance. What she did was mix - dance - mix - dance. She wasn't dancing while mixing (which is real multitasking). That doesn't look cool and realistic to me at all. Eating a meal together while chatting is in Sims 3 as well. They eat and every now and then they stop to say something. Sims 2 has this as well. Making time go slower wouldn't fix this for me, I'd get so bored if I'd have to watch sims spending ages to do things I see them doing x times a day. But I guess this might have something to do with playing style. I like it my sims have to eat and sleep but for me it's an in between thing, in between the actual playing the game so to speak (like when you go to the movies and they skip all those times the hero has to go to the toilet, unless there's a reason to show that). Sims eating a meal isn't why I play the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Erpe

I wouldn't put 'too much' stock into what Erpe says, he did after all state on another thread that programmers don't leave large amounts of unused or useless code in a released program... I game him a list of games which do have massive amounts of unused code (shame really, if some of them actually used that code they could've been a lot more interesting).

For some as yet unknown reason, Erpe seems to voice his opinions as though they are fact.
    raw
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Erpe

I wouldn't put 'too much' stock into what Erpe says, he did after all state on another thread that programmers don't leave large amounts of unused or useless code in a released program... I game him a list of games which do have massive amounts of unused code (shame really, if some of them actually used that code they could've been a lot more interesting).

For some as yet unknown reason, Erpe seems to voice his opinions as though they are fact.
    I am sure that you would make all programs at least 5 times as big as necessary just to make your customers need bigger hard drives and to pay for more GBs to download if you were a programmer ;)

So it is clear that you expect all game companies to do that too :)
  • YinalaYinala Posts: 132 Member
    Does anyone else have this issue where you direct a sim to do something but then the sim cancels it for some reason? and then I have to tell them to do the thing like 5 times in a row! :|
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    Yinala wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this issue where you direct a sim to do something but then the sim cancels it for some reason? and then I have to tell them to do the thing like 5 times in a row! :|

I do often. For my larger families, as that's what I normally like to play, I've taken autonomy off for a little while to get a break from fighting with the AI. My actions should take priority but the AI drops my commands and tells the Sims to do something else.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited September 2017
    Baenre wrote: »
    Yinala wrote: »

I do often. For my larger families, as that's what I normally like to play, I've taken autonomy off for a little while to get a break from fighting with the AI. My actions should take priority but the AI drops my commands and tells the Sims to do something else.

For some reason they dramatically toned down the priority of player commands, it used to be that a sim would repeatedly try to do what you ordered to the exclusion of anything else (unless their motives or mood was too low), now anything and everything can distract them, including emotion change.
    raw
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top