Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something I really dislike

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I definitely recommend MC command.

As for the issue concerned. I don't think the player does rule in the sims 4. The sims will happily cancel our commands for no rhyme or reason and they all behave the same way. (Hugging random family members, obsessive with certain objects and interactions)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited August 2017
    @agustd

Thank you so much for your help on this and I think from what you have indicated I might have to give it a go real soon if it makes such a difference.. I may not have time to concentrate on it fully until Thursday afternoon this week as I don't want to rush it but give it my full attention also thanks for the offer to pm you on this if I get stuck that too is much appreciated because I have a feeling not understanding 4 as much as the other series I might need require that option at some point :)

@MidnightAura

Thanks I have thought about it before but have really been trying to learn about the series before going that route but honestly as I am spending way too much time on issues related to this thread I am finding it almost impossible to get any game play anyway >:)
  • Options
    NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    Romzarah wrote: »
    Question for Electronic Arts.. Do you want your players to quit playing sims? Poor AI leads to frustration, frustration leads to anger.. You know it's time to stop playing when you are tempted to delete your beloved sims for wasting your time..

But then I would have an empty city...

I already quit.....and i play the sims since the sims 1, but now its beyond frustration, they don't really care about players anymore, it was given to us an overdose of stuff packs, they want more money with less content and work, not for me. I like to spend my money in good games, and with companies who likes to do awesome games to people to enjoy. The sims 4 don't have the factor surprise, like some unexpect to happen, like burglars, something we are not expecting and become a game changing for us. And come on that bowling system, the sims don't talk to each other or seat or anything, sometimes i felt that my sim was playing with a bunch of corpses.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    @SPARKY1922 you're welcome and if you have any more questions hmu!

@NeverSeemsToEnd I agree about bowling... It's like they only cared to animate it correctly and didn't focus on the other aspects of the experience. Every bowling alley I've been to had booths for people to sit and socialize while waiting for their turn... Isn't sitting&socializing the absolutely favorite combination of activities for sims to do at any given time and place? lol. Wish they did that instead of standing there with their eyes glued to something in the far distance instead of the playing sim.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Though they keep telling us kids play this, I don't believe it. Wouldn't there be kids here if that were true? IMO I think they should change it to M. and have more mature interactions. By that I mean, no silly pee walk, oversized objects, less constant smiling, take out the kiddish stuff. From what I've read, when kids try the game, they get bored and don't care for it.
  • Options
    RomzarahRomzarah Posts: 195 Member
    Question for Electronic Arts.. Do you want your players to quit playing sims? Poor AI leads to frustration, frustration leads to anger.. You know it's time to stop playing when you are tempted to delete your beloved sims for wasting your time..

But then I would have an empty city...

I already quit.....and i play the sims since the sims 1, but now its beyond frustration, they don't really care about players anymore, it was given to us an overdose of stuff packs, they want more money with less content and work, not for me. I like to spend my money in good games, and with companies who likes to do awesome games to people to enjoy. The sims 4 don't have the factor surprise, like some unexpect to happen, like burglars, something we are not expecting and become a game changing for us. And come on that bowling system, the sims don't talk to each other or seat or anything, sometimes i felt that my sim was playing with a bunch of corpses.

There is a mod that adds social to bowling.. Also one that gives you a choice of 3 or 5 round bowling as well as the normal bowling.. Mods make the game more playable, but there is many unmodded problems to drive you mad..

I had all of Sims 1 and only the base game for Sims 2.. I had an old comp at the time I got Sims 2 and it run to choppy to enjoy playing.. I was working 12.5 hour day 7 days a week when Sims 3 came out and never even tried it.. But I remember in Sims 2 if you sent 2 sims to the same task, the sim that was sent 2nd would reach the place and ask the other sim to move if in the way.. Sims 4 the sim you sent 2nd will wave arms and say it's blocked even if the sim is 10 sim min away from the object they were asked to use..

The game is better in many ways too.. Sims 1 had all kinds of problems with flow.. Sims could not use the stairs 2 or more at a time.. Sims 4 Loving how it works with this one as well as other cases of sims blocking path.. AI is a little better in a few things, and worse in others..

I don't want the game to run it's self 100 %, but at the same time, I don't want to deal with sloppy AI.. Why did they not use the AI from Sims 2 that the sims will ask other sims to move if blocking path? I am sure all of you can think of lots of other problems that make it look as if the sims are to unsmart to exist.. As it stand AI stands for Artificial Id10t.. Sorry but the forum for some reason thinks that some words are foul when not.. I would never use something like unsmart in place in any other forum.. I can see them changing words if I was using them to harm other members but not when used to explain a sim problem..
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Though they keep telling us kids play this, I don't believe it. Wouldn't there be kids here if that were true? IMO I think they should change it to M. and have more mature interactions. By that I mean, no silly pee walk, oversized objects, less constant smiling, take out the kiddish stuff. From what I've read, when kids try the game, they get bored and don't care for it.

I would love it if they made a more mature game. I enjoyed the quirkiness in the previous games, but this one is over the top. It was cute at first. But the novelty wore off.

I doubt EA would up the rating though. They want to reach as broad an audience as they can. It's a shame.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    catitude5 wrote: »

I would love it if they made a more mature game. I enjoyed the quirkiness in the previous games, but this one is over the top. It was cute at first. But the novelty wore off.

I doubt EA would up the rating though. They want to reach as broad an audience as they can. It's a shame.

I would like to see more mature gameplay with things like mortgages, separate bank accounts for teenagers who work part time jobs, etc. Sadly, Sims 4 makes it seem like too much to ask for. Gameplay is very idyllic and unrealistic.
  • Options
    agustd wrote: »
    I would like to see more mature gameplay with things like mortgages, separate bank accounts for teenagers who work part time jobs, etc. Sadly, Sims 4 makes it seem like too much to ask for. Gameplay is very idyllic and unrealistic.

Yes! I have a great mod in S2 to handle almost anything you can do with funds. I love it. My teens always save up their earnings that way. Sims can take out loans and transfer funds to each other too. Never understood why that wasn't part of the game. I don't even think ratings would affect that aspect.
  • Options

Yes! I have a great mod in S2 to handle almost anything you can do with funds. I love it. My teens always save up their earnings that way. Sims can take out loans and transfer funds to each other too. Never understood why that wasn't part of the game. I don't even think ratings would affect that aspect.

Sounds awesome. I feel like playing Sims 2 now, modders did amazing job with this game. The realism was there from the start though and adding more of it to 4 doesn't seem like a priority now, what a shame. Down to earth, daily life things wouldn't really disturb the cotton candy aesthetics, would they? I've always dreamed of my teens to be able to save up for their future on their own but their money goes straight to the household funds and i always forget to keep track of it. Make believe savings accounts are not as fun as real ones anyway so maybe that's why I don't bother.
  • Options
    @NeverSeemsToEnd

I cannot tell you how many times I have started and quit 4 right from the beginning base game to today and I buy the packs simply because most creators use a lot of CC from the packs and I use a lot of creator lots and other stuff in my game. I really laughed at your bunch of corpses comment and immediately thought yes but corpses with smiles even when they are dying :)

@agustd

I have no doubt I will be in touch when I am sitting there thinking what the heck do I need to tick here :)

@Romzarah

The bowling mod sounds interesting if you could provide a link please as I think I have played bowling twice since it came out because as agustd points out there is the action of the bowling but not the social sides to the animations which we all want. Also when I have gone looking for mods most of the ones I would like to use are not being updated so there is all that frustration on patch days.

The first time I ever saw the sims was when my friend was showing me her sims 2 base game when I was visiting her over the xmas holidays and I loved the look of it and even grabbed a copy on my way back out the country to work but those days I was also working crazy hours for years and the game got lost somewhere when moving. The next time life gave me a breath I remembered the game went to look for it and sims 3 was out so I bought that series instead and don't get me wrong despite the many challenges playing it and the costs of upgraded PC's because minimum specs my ar..I loved the game and can remember all the guru's letting the players know what was coming next and everyone being excited about the video teasers prior to xp release and that seems all gone now. Also if a player is prepared to learn a little about mods and CC sims 3 worlds/sims can be made to look stunning or just about anything a storyteller could want so I would think series 3 can remain interesting regardless of play style.

Then last year I was lucky enough to get 2 UC and despite it being quite overwhelming trying to figure out a whole new season and being put off by old graphics I completely fell in love with the sims themselves their many reactions, the shopping, the dating animations, in fact I am constantly surprised by them whenever I play and in my humble opinion that system with an open world would have made an awesome new series and again sims 2 hoods and sims can be developed to look really modern or to a particular player style using the many mods and CC still going today. All the animations I wanted in 3 were already around in 2 and I never knew it for years-)

I do have series 1 stuck on an old laptop but because I have been trying to create my 2&3 worlds lately I have not been playing but I want to it as looks fab for such an old series :)

I don't want the game to run itself either but constantly trying to stop sims doing repeated unnecessary actions in 4 ruins the game for me and I quickly tire of it however that said I am going to try and mod the game and give it some time to see exactly what might be achieved and then make a final decision to either remove it from my PC for good or find some use in t somewhere.

@kremesch73

last year I bought the whole 2 series on disc from a trusted eBay seller just in case at some point in the future I might want/need to use discs for some reason plus the discs are becoming increasingly rare to find and when I opened the box I found The Sims Life Stories, The Sims Pets Stories and The Sims Castaway Stories and I just thought they were extra XP's I had never heard about until a sims player friend of mine told me they were standalone sims games for laptop users and/or players with PC systems not up to playing Sims 2 the series so if they could do that back then why can they not go that route now? and if they can make the game for players with low PC specs they could probably make a version for mature players as well as wouldn't that corner every facet of the the market? Surely it would make more business sense in the long run?

I also agree re playing finances in 2 I have a computer and other mods that allow the playing of finances, heck I have a functional bank, a post office where sims can buy postcards and send them to other sims who receive them and read them and I am currently setting up a playable school, prison and modeling catwalk-)

• Options
    edited August 2017
    @SPARKY1922

Here is a link to her bowling mod for 3 or 5 round games
    http://littlemssam.de/more-bowling-options/

This one is for social ++ wail playing at a number of games that have no social, it also adds fun when there is none.. Just to let you know, I don't think you see your sims talking wail bowling but you get a tic for social every few seconds..
    http://littlemssam.de/playing-together-fills-social-need-fun/

This modder has a great deal of outstanding mods.. I don't use all of them, but I love the ones i am using.. Here is the link to her main page showing all her mods..
    http://littlemssam.de/

Check out her gardening mods..
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922

This one is for social ++ wail playing at a number of games that have no social, it also adds fun when there is none.. Just to let you know, I don't think you see your sims talking wail bowling but you get a tic for social every few seconds..

This modder has a great deal of outstanding mods.. I don't use all of them, but I love the ones i am using.. Here is the link to her main page showing all her mods..

If this could be done, why didn't they do it? Are there odd glitches or animations with the mod?
  • Options
    @Romzarah

Thank you so much for those links much appreciated I hope they will help me enjoy this series more then I do because I am constantly frustrated :)

@kremesch73

The last couple of days I have searched and searched for mods (aside from MC which I am going to try later this week) which are not outdated and provide relief from some of the annoying problems so I suggest possibly trying one mod out at a time to see if you like it or experience any problems.. That's what I always do and then decide what I keep and what can go :)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    The last couple of days I have searched and searched for mods (aside from MC which I am going to try later this week) which are not outdated and provide relief from some of the annoying problems so I suggest possibly trying one mod out at a time to see if you like it or experience any problems.. That's what I always do and then decide what I keep and what can go :)

I went the mod route near the beginning and got tired of having to wait for updates after patches for this game. It should be playable out of the box, imo.

My point was basically that if a modder could add 'basic' functionality, why on earth didn't the sims team do it? Why did they say they couldn't? --Assuming that's what they said. This is why I wish some other company would make a game like this. It's reasons like these (among several others) that I don't play this game any more.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @SPARKY1922

If this could be done, why didn't they do it? Are there odd glitches or animations with the mod?

There is no change to animation in the mods I linked, there may be in some of the mods she has.. As for why would EA not do these things them self's? Good ?.... I have posted here before that it seems to me a small thing to set the AI to stop some of the bad actions.. Like the kids washing dishes that don't exist... There is a mod for that... If modders can find a fix, EA should be able to do better... The basketball DREAM BIG problem they sort of fixed.. LOL .. I use the mod.. The fix didn't stop the sims from wanting to run off to DREAM BIG every 10 sec.. It did help stop them from doing that and dropping other commands.. The mod makes it so you only dream big when you tell them to. I'm waiting for a mod that fixes the potty mouth.. I used to have the potty mouth in all my houses.. I deleted or put in storage almost all of them.. If it were not for the moods you can get from them, I would sell every last one..
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    I dropped so many likes and awesomes in this thread, my internet flat-lined briefly! Glad it reconnected.

Right, OP (and pretty much everyone here) I agree and experiencing the same issues. I gave up on TS4 a while ago but came back to see if anything changed or improved; so I reinstalled, updated, and after about 30 minutes, I was like "nope." Honestly if I have to go out of my way to find work-arounds to try and enjoy a game (or make it work right), we have a problem.
  • Options
    Baenre wrote: »
    I dropped so many likes and awesomes in this thread, my internet flat-lined briefly! Glad it reconnected.

Right, OP (and pretty much everyone here) I agree and experiencing the same issues. I gave up on TS4 a while ago but came back to see if anything changed or improved; so I reinstalled, updated, and after about 30 minutes, I was like "nope." Honestly if I have to go out of my way to find work-arounds to try and enjoy a game (or make it work right), we have a problem.

Yep.. As others here have a problem with using mods, if you have to search for updates all the time... Yep Baenre, if you don't want to deal with mod problems the game is hard to play, and with the mods, you have to work to find updates sometimes..
  • Options
    Baenre wrote: »

I agree. I avoided S3 because of the hoops I had to jump through. I honestly got tired of jumping through them for 2. I decided if they couldn't improve, so be it. This has been an ongoing problem.

Then 4 came out. I was in love with it at first. It honestly didn't have nearly half the problems it has now. Then sometime after GT, it went downhill. I figured if I had to jump through this many hoops, I might as well do it with a game that's done. Seriously.

Problem is S4 doesn't offer enough for me to want to come back to it. I can't build the way I could in previous games. I can't build or edit worlds. Gameplay is extremely shallow and frustrating to the point of rage-quitting, which is outlined in this thread. Last time I played, I experienced every issue outlined here.

I honestly can't give this company any more money. Not if this is what they're offering. I almost feel like they feel their customers are daft, and that's just not a company I want to invest in.
  • Options
    Some mods I would not be able to play the game without....

Simulation Lag Fix .... Helps with game lag...
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=598676

Autonomous Gardening... Who like having to evolve 2 plants at a time, or fertilize the plants 1 at a time... Or have your sims run away as fast as they can when they get a brake in commands.. The sims act as if the hate gardening..
    http://littlemssam.de/autonomous-gardening/

The Dream Big Fix.... This problem made me put all my basketball hoops in storage..
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=595966

If you all want more links, let me know..
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    @Sucom You might want to give this mod a try: Have Some Personality Please!

From the description: "If you have ever noticed, when ever your sims are done with the interaction with another that you just directed them to do, they will almost always immediately start chatting. That meant even if they were angry or they just got in a fight with another sim they would start chatting. That seemed extremely strange to me and made story telling a lot harder to do. In this mod I disabled that. The sims will no longer just chat for no reason. So many of these interactions were not autonomous which seemed odd. It was like the creators wanted them sims to always be happy and have good relationships with others with no drama. This mod will help change that. Some of the things I have seen so far are sims discussing their interests and having deep conversations along with getting romantic with others all on their own. They do more than just kiss cheek now! I've seen them go up to their special someone and embrace them and do special kisses. My sims now hold conversations that mean something unlike before, I had no idea what "chatting" was even about."
  • Options
    So I just spent a few hours playing and I'm here to report that now my sims cancel orders even though their queue is empty and free will still off. What a wonderful progression! I'm more shocked than angry at this point. I tested without my mods folder a little bit and they kept doing that. A sim would be standing there chillin, i'd order them to go play basketball and the action would get cancelled right after dropping down in the queue just like that, not because of another one that my sim would autonomously decide to do. Happened at least 3 times, then i stopped counting. That's a whole new level of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 really.
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    @Sucom You might want to give this mod a try: Have Some Personality Please!

From the description: "If you have ever noticed, when ever your sims are done with the interaction with another that you just directed them to do, they will almost always immediately start chatting. That meant even if they were angry or they just got in a fight with another sim they would start chatting. That seemed extremely strange to me and made story telling a lot harder to do. In this mod I disabled that. The sims will no longer just chat for no reason. So many of these interactions were not autonomous which seemed odd. It was like the creators wanted them sims to always be happy and have good relationships with others with no drama. This mod will help change that. Some of the things I have seen so far are sims discussing their interests and having deep conversations along with getting romantic with others all on their own. They do more than just kiss cheek now! I've seen them go up to their special someone and embrace them and do special kisses. My sims now hold conversations that mean something unlike before, I had no idea what "chatting" was even about."

I have seen the sims chatting and you point at the action button and see.. (chatting).. You have no idea about what, Then you see a idea bubble with a vampire pic in it.. Ok now I know.. Wish I knew sooner so I could stop it... Not a fan of Vampires.. I know some players would hate me for saying I hope a Modder make a mod so you can build a Vampire Slayer.. I only got the XP for the game objects.. There is a Mod to stop the vamps, but I would use the slayer mod in a heartbeat..
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I find the balance important too. I feel like it's something previous games never struggled with, though, as opposed to Sims 4 where the lack of it is becoming very painful. I currently play with autonomy off because I'm managing a household of 7 and the issues discussed here make it impossible to allow them all to roam free, but I have a distinct memory of older games providing enough fun little surprises even with this feature turned off, it's like they were designed to do that. That's why it's especially bothersome for me now, as I'm torn between leaving my sims to completely ignore my wishes as if they're not just fake, pixel people or having them stand there lifelessly, waiting for an order they will probably drop anyway. Where is my balance? You made me realize how much, unknowingly, i valued it about sims 3 and 2!

I think sims' AI is flawed to the point of free will as an option being virtually meaningless. I've tried both on/off and I've ran into the same issues. My sims cancel orders when autonomy is off, whether they get interrupted by someone (which, with free will off, should never happen) or whether they randomly decide to do something on their own. There is no balance and there is no solution. I've tried to learn to only give a sim one order at a time but more often than not I find that 6 hours later they stand still in the spot I've left them having done nothing.

Sad to hear it's too big of an issue to get fixed permanently and sims will probably always strive to multitask when it's not necessary or wanted, and they will seek social interaction autonomously. This seems to be the concept for the new generation that we have no choice but to accept. I like it when my sims autonomously hug their loved ones and go chat to them instead of using computer or TV all day, i like it that they're able to do that without having to cancel eating or listening to music but I believe this could have been done better, in a way that doesn't completely disarray my plans and ruin my enjoyment of the game.
    I'm fairly optimistic about it. I don't expect major changes for TS4 just because the bigger a change is, the more upheaval there is to the standard that has been set and the more chance of angering existing customers.

But I do expect that if there is a Sims 5, they will attempt to improve on multitasking, if they include it. The way I see it, each new iteration is an opportunity to push the boundaries of what the series is capable of doing and with that comes a lot of failures as well as successes. It's pretty hard to get things polished on the first attempt.

And I think autonomy is probably the kind of thing where "need for polish" increases as the complexity of AI increases. In other words, the more they try to make sim behavior realistic as compared to that of a human mind, the more rough edges appear in need of polishing. Cause AI work in general is a frontier of unknowns and I don't think there's much that's set in stone, as far as standardization of methods.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top